iPhone 3G users to pay $200 premium for early upgrade to iPhone 3G S

Comments

• Reply 261 of 429
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgunther View Post

Wow, wish I knew what was different. I bought my 3G the day after it came out last year and I just tried to order like you did, but was given the polite following message:

As a valued AT&T customer, AT&T can offer you an early iPhone upgrade with a new 2-yr commitment and an $18 upgrade fee. You may qualify for a standard iPhone upgrade on 12/13/2009.

$299.00* ? 8GB iPhone 3G (black)

$399.00* ? 16GB iPhone 3G S (black or white)

$499.00* ? 32GB iPhone 3G S (black or white)

sell yours on ebay and use that $ to buy this
  • Reply 262 of 429
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

I understand many other phones are subsidized; however, surely you will agree with me in recognizing the fact that this is a subsidized phone is played down and in fact rarely mentioned until time of purchase. If you walk into any cell phone store you see two clearly marked prices on most phones. They clearly show a full purchase price and the subsidized contract price.

No I don't agree with this at all. You'd have to be a "dumbass" to not understand $199/$299 were not the full price of the iPhone when the previous iPhone cost twice as much.

Quote:

Perhaps if they hadn't continually released information showing one price structure for the iPhone, this feeling of ill will and feeling like the loyal customers are all of all of sudden being penalized would have been softened.

AT&T lists in its information the fact that you mostly likely won't qualify for a new subsidized phone in the middle of your contract. This ill will comes from people who did not pay attention to what they were agreeing to. Also a sense of unrealistic entitlement.

Quote:

This change in upgrade policy is not just on AT&T. After a series of phone calls to both companies this morning that included a lot of finger pointing, I finally had an upper tier supervisor with Apple (what ever that means) tell me that it is part of a mutual agreement made between AT&T and Apple.

This is not a change in upgrade policy, this has always been the policy.

Quote:

I am not asking for something for free. I don't have a problem signing the new 2 year contract, but I was really taken aback yesterday when I found out I had to pay so much more that the advertised price.

The advertised price is with subsidy. In your AT&T contract it states that you may not be eligible for upgrade in the middle of your contract. If you do not understand this concept its not the fault of AT&T or Apple.
  • Reply 263 of 429
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Expecting to get a new phone as if you don't still have a year left on the contract is a bit much. They never did promise that you would get the lowest price every year.

Just maybe, if enough people get huffy, I think a $100 upgrade fee above a new customer / completed contract fee might be a realistic expectation. As teck said, the first iPhone wasn't priced as a subsidized phone so laying the same expectation this time around is excessive. First Gen iPhone buyers paid $200 more for theirs than the 2nd gen buyers did.

$100 would be easier to swallow than $200, but while it could have been in the fine print, I personally never saw anything showing that the phone was unsubsized the first round vs. a subsidized version the second round.

I simply was told to pay the $599 and sign a 2 yr contract. They dropped the price soon after, but again I saw nothing indicating it had anything with it being subsidized. I do recall there being a large public outcry about the drastic reduction so soon after so many people bit a larger bullet. That public outcry did indeed prompt the $100 giftcard; so, perhaps if we complain enough they will change this policy.

The same thing happened last year on the release date. Nothing was said, upfront, about it being subsidized...only that I simply had to sign a new 2 yr contract and pay the purchase price.
  • Reply 264 of 429
    Its only a secret to you because you didn't read. Read your contract.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I totally agree with you. Why all the secrets on the subsidized priceing? Same thing with the FALSE advertising- "Half the Price". IT WAS SUBSIDIZED!

Having said that, the sales figures this quarter will be very strange as people have to actually wait AND WAIT.

• Reply 265 of 429
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by abernathy View Post

(I posted this on Apple's Discussion Boards)

I understand all this talk about the 3GS costing more if you're in the middle of your subsidized plan, but based on my situation I question this:

I bought the 3G iPhone shortly after it was released. Then I decided to get a FamilyTalk plan and give my partner my original (non-subsidized) iPhone. Yesterday I rushed to the online Apple Store to buy (2) 32GB 3GS and was given prices of $699 for mine and $499 for my partner. $499 to upgrade an original iPhone! I called AT&T this morning - they couldn't explain this - they said that's just the way it is.

This really is a bad situation and I also hold Apple accountable. They knew that loyal customers would be frustrated that the iPhone upgrade cycle would be totally out of sync with service plan commitments. This unique phone should have a more unique service plan - one that is customer friendly and doesn't take all the fun out of otherwise exciting new product announcements. That was probably Apple's original idea with the full-price 1G iPhone, but when they switched to subsidized plans they should have negotiated something like 1-yr commitments, or prorated upgrades (well, maybe that's what they call the $499 32GB price?)

That isn?t right. The original iPhone wasn?t subsidized, which is part of the problem with people expecting AT&T will let them jump from an iPhone 3G to an iPhone 3G[s] after a year with no penalty like they did with the original iPhone.

I?d go into a store directly and talk with a manager. You are under contract for that original iPhone for two years (unless you are doing month-to-month which would make this a really big gaffe) but it?sa profit sharing model. I?m certain you can get this worked out as it?s AT&T?s best interests to get you on the more expensive plan. Have you missed any payments?

PS: I wonder if the people complaining about not be eligible for an update after 11 months of subsidization are the same ones that shot down the profit sharing model Apple imposed with the original iPhone. It?s too bad that it didn?t work out because Apple would have only been paid each month for the device?s use so AT&T would have had no problem getting you into a new device. Of course, the upfront cost may have been higher, but the out of pocket for carriers and at home setup would have been nice. The problem for carriers is that gives cell phone vendor too much control, which I understand, but it was great for consumers who like to update their update their devices yearly.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by moofrank View Post

AT&T clearly doesn't quite have their act together here yet.

The AT&T website doesn't show the discounted prices for 3G phones. Talking to a customer rep tells me that this should be up on Friday.

That certainly have some issues right now. My new iPhone is upgrade eligible before my older one, both 3G models on a Family Plan. I have a friend moving to AT&T who wasn?t able to make an online pre-order at all yesterday. AT&T definitely seems more reactive than proactive with their iPhone customers.
  • Reply 266 of 429
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Its only a secret to you because you didn't read. Read your contract.

OK smart ass - you knew the subsidized price of the iPhone (what was AT&T's piece) last July 2008? total B.S.

I mentioned "Half the Price " was false over and over and all y'all said was "but it is" blah, blah, blah. Now I am once again being borne out.

Now you make up BS.

It has only been recent that these actual amounts have been disclosed if at all.
  • Reply 267 of 429
    You are a grown adult. Its not AT&T's responsibility to make you an informed consumer. With a little bit of research all of this information was easily accessible.

Quote:

$100 would be easier to swallow than $200, but while it could have been in the fine print, I personally never saw anything showing that the phone was unsubsized the first round vs. a subsidized version the second round.

I simply was told to pay the $599 and sign a 2 yr contract. They dropped the price soon after, but again I saw nothing indicating it had anything with it being subsidized. I do recall there being a large public outcry about the drastic reduction so soon after so many people bit a larger bullet. That public outcry did indeed prompt the $100 giftcard; so, perhaps if we complain enough they will change this policy.

The same thing happened last year on the release date. Nothing was said, upfront, about it being subsidized...only that I simply had to sign a new 2 yr contract and pay the purchase price.

• Reply 268 of 429
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hasanahmad View Post

sell yours on ebay and use that $ to buy this

That would be extremely difficult to sell now that we have a germ factor and are in the middle of a swine flu epidemic. Good lick, I mean luck.
  • Reply 269 of 429
    Yes I knew the iPhone 3G was subsidized. No I didn't know the exact full retail price. But it didn't matter what it was, I wasn't paying full price. But I clearly did know $199/$299 wasn't the full price

Quote:

OK smart ass - you knew the subsidized price of the iPhone (what was AT&T's piece) last July 2008? total B.S.

I mentioned "Half the Price " was false over and over and all y'all said was "but it is" blah, blah, blah. Now I am once again being borne out.

Now you make up BS.

It has only been recent that these actual amounts have been disclosed if at all.

• Reply 270 of 429
    dhkostadhkosta Posts: 150member
    Quote:

I totally agree with you. Why all the secrets on the subsidized priceing? Same thing with the FALSE advertising- "Half the Price". IT WAS SUBSIDIZED!

Having said that, the sales figures this quarter will be very strange as people have to actually wait AND WAIT.

I think there is a different logic to the upgrade system than simply "AT&T wants to reward their more loyal customers." I think it has to do with controlling the locations and timing of traffic increases on their network. Last year, AT&T's network handled the 3G launch poorly, and was heavily criticized. Maybe they're learning from their mistakes.

Of course it would piss people off if they found out they couldn't upgrade because of the city they live in.

Of course, being that my date is 03/23/10, I think I'll probably take a pass on the 3G S, and wait for next year's model.
  • Reply 271 of 429
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHKOsta View Post

I think there is a different logic to the upgrade system than simply "AT&T wants to reward their more loyal customers." I think it has to do with controlling the locations and timing of traffic increases on their network. Last year, AT&T's network handled the 3G launch poorly, and was heavily criticized. Maybe they're learning from their mistakes.

Of course it would piss people off if they found out they couldn't upgrade because of the city they live in.

Of course, being that my date is 03/23/10, I think I'll probably take a pass on the 3G S, and wait for next year's model.

Wow- that does not bode well for Apple is sales figures then this year.

AT&T is the one making out this year. Only newbies or 1st gen iPhone upgraders will add to the sales. And really, like how many people will switch carriers at this point compared to when iPhone was new? The figures will be very interesting.
  • Reply 272 of 429
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

It's easily worth $236 to me to get it ASAP.

And there you have it.

Thank you for THAT dose of reality.

The bottom line here is that no matter how much anyone wants to bitch about it, there will be many out there that could care less what they will or will not be charged. Count me among those that will upgrade, regardless of whatever AT&T does for or against me. It's called personal choice.

Or, to put it in another perspective.... a friend of mine's son recently took his family to an overpriced Britney Spears concert. I have no idea how much he paid for 4 tickets, but I'll suggest they weren't cheap.

So, try to keep some perspective. If you're a developer, it's a no-brainer. For everyone else, there's MasterCard.
  • Reply 273 of 429
    jdavyjdavy Posts: 66member
    AT&T = No tethering

AT&T = No MMS

AT&T = $200 penalty for the loyal early adopters that all always looking for the best.

AT&T does not have 4G and Verizon is working on 4G GSM.

Question, should we wait for a possible next iPhone that might be with Verizon or suck it up and pay the extra $200? BTW do you have to extend you commitment with the $200 rip off?
  • Reply 274 of 429
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdavy View Post

AT&T = $200 penalty for the loyal early adopters that all always looking for the best.

Next time you plan on getting a new phone less than once a year don?t get on a 2-year subsidized plan.
  • Reply 275 of 429
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Enigmafan420 View Post

HURRY-30 day returns allowed.

Can I ask? WHY would you have done this two weeks ago

I got my Iphone for my anniversary on May 22, 2009. At that time neither the people at Cingular, nor my husbands' friend who works for AT&T knew they were going to have a new phone. We all new about the upgrade, but thought that was it. Or I would have waited for the new phone. This really pisses my off. They should have let us know in advance. How much will I have to pay to take my phone back, get refund and rebuy the new phone? Will they even let us do that? Or will they say that you already redid your contract and are SOL.
  • Reply 276 of 429
    tomkarltomkarl Posts: 239member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tbmichals View Post

I got my Iphone for my anniversary on May 22, 2009. At that time neither the people at Cingular, nor my husbands' friend who works for AT&T knew they were going to have a new phone. We all new about the upgrade, but thought that was it. Or I would have waited for the new phone. This really pisses my off. They should have let us know in advance. How much will I have to pay to take my phone back, get refund and rebuy the new phone? Will they even let us do that? Or will they say that you already redid your contract and are SOL.

I'm sorry, but I cannot muster any sympathy for you. A little bit of internet research and you would have found many, many sites with speculation about the new models.

I also don't have much sympathy for those who bought a 3G and now expect an upgrade price earlier than their contracts said they are entitled to.
  • Reply 277 of 429
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tbmichals View Post

1) You are under 30 days so return it.

2) Go to tech websites and ask, not friends and AT&T employees (even Apple retail employees know less than the tech sites usually do).

3) They let you know 11 days in advance. How much time is appropriate?

4) The previous two years Apple has come out with an iPhone in the summer. It?s the same this year and most likely the same next year.

5) The iPhone you have is a very capable device. It appears you liked it until it was no longer the latest and greatest. If you get the new one, another one will surely come out next year and you?ll still only be half way through a two year subsidized contract. Just an FYI.
  • Reply 278 of 429
    tmptmp Posts: 601member
    I'm just sitting here hoping there will be a new iPhone and it will be on Verizon by the time my contract runs out in '10 so I can actually use the phone part of my iPhone.
  • Reply 279 of 429
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:

The reason is simple. This is a new policy to them. The most devoted and loyal iPhone customers, the ones that were in line for the last 2 years in a row to own the latest offering are now being thanked for their patronage being told that they have to pay a premium to do the same thing the third year. Many companies offer consumer loyalty bonuses, but in this case, consumer loyalty puts them in the back of the line, unless they want to pay extra.

I was one of them. I couldn't wait to place my order yesterday, but was shocked and dissappointed to be told I had to wait or pay nearly double the price shown at the bottom of the order page. I honestly have a hard time stomaching paying $218 more than the advertised price (sans fine print) for the same product, just because I was already a big fan and was in line the last 2 years for the release.

One other thing that a lot of us have forgotten is that when the original iphone was released and we stood in line for hours to get it, we paid $599 for it. Then within 2 months, they dropped the price by $200 and people were outraged. In fact the public outrage was so great that Apple ended up coming back to lighten that blow by giving us a $100 gift card.

No, it's not the same thing you've done two years in the row. The first year you bought a phone for the full retail price, ATT did not subsidize it. The second year they did. So this year, the third year, you can do what you did the first year again. But I have a feeling you won't like paying $600 for the phone this time around, like you did that time. Right?
  • Reply 280 of 429
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rutiger View Post

i bought two 3g phones the first day they were out. when i logged in to both the apple site and my att acct they both state i'm eligible for upgrading.

i was just able to order a 32gb 3gs on att's site for $299 + $18 with free shipping! hope it shows up asap

This is exactly what I (and a lot of us "unreasonable whiners who don't understand simple economics or know how to read a contract") are talking about. ATT clearly does not have a standard "policy" they are enforcing equally. The "shut up because you signed a 2 yr contract" arguement would work if everyone was told they could not upgrade until their 2 years are up. That is obviously not the case. This example even nullifies the primary line qualifies early theory.