Comments

• Reply 201 of 366
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

it was a whole page back >>>> read below my original post to find the link

about 2 inchs down

http://www.forbes.com/2009/06/18/app...rsonal-3g.html

Good Read . The pre doesn't matter anymore. They can sell a trillion. But the sweet sexy powerful 3gs,is the new standard by which all phones will be measured. Not to better the 3gs . No no that won't happen. We gauge how close any new phone can come to the 3gs.

peace

I hadn't seen that one before. Interesting.
  • Reply 202 of 366
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

It seems to me that the focus on games was led by the developers and consumers. This is the free market at work.

Thompson

Well I guess the real question is what are the percentage of games and junk App vs real utility /productivity Apps. Has a pie chart ever ben shown? The perception is more of the former rather than the latter.
  • Reply 203 of 366
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

This like the titanic sinking

Over at pre-central the topic's about the crack screens are running over 13 pages long each .

Picture UPS sending 100,000 cracked screen pre's baCk to palm central . Piling up with 8 dollar an hour trained repair people avoiding work by twittering how they are avoiding work. While the broken pre's continue to pile up

And the palm guy on top just sits there with his 3gs mumbling about how the hell does hulu not charge for free movies .

And the band plays on.....

And somewhere . . . Steve Jobs is smilng slyly.

We have yet to see the full fallout from this, plus Palms numbers, but somehow I think that the "iPod Killer" curse applies to phones as well.
  • Reply 204 of 366
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BertP View Post

I took a look at that article. Some comments. One, the idea of the iPhone 3G S serving as a control panel for attachments is exciting. Two, iPhone OS 3.0 is more than a "platform". It is an adaptation of Mac OS X, with limitations and enhancements, and the possibilities that adaptation allows. Just two examples: multi-touch gestures leveraged from the iPhone to Mac laptop trackpads, VoiceOver leveraged from Mac OS X to the iPhone 3G S. Fourth, since the iPod Touch also runs on iPhone OS 3.0, it can also can benefit from software leveraging when a hardware refresh occurs in the future. Note: I used the term "leveraging" because I couldn't think of a better term for now.

leveraging or migrating or porting . i dunno .

But YES with the correct set of apps you can turn your 3gs into a remote control for any device, say for example your new PRE screen cracks and you can't retrieve important company information that your boss is waiting on. You whip out your 3GS and install the correct set of app's and turn the pre into a slave and suck out all the info you need , later on that same fateful night while at a fancy yet dress down Seattle fish restaurant that is playing string quartet music over the sound system you once again whip out your 3gs and install, correct set of apps and turn it into a remote for the music system and play songs from your 3gs . Maybe some hendrix. Or some Neil young live at massey .

Streaming media movies songs whatever to say a Tv in a bar . Or even taking apps or any media you want from another 3gs is also another thing that's possible.

We are limited by our weak minds here. The future possibilities are astounding. 40 player on a side real live street games played in a real/virtual world is already planned. Your 3GS GPS APP's Function's would know when you passed a certain point or goal or physical street marker location in the game .

Sims will never be the same and the wi may wanna make a deal with apple soon.

ANYway enough bullspit from me. I kinda get excited at times and start.......

APPLE had me at 5000 songs in my pocket ........
  • Reply 205 of 366
    joeypk07joeypk07 Posts: 16member
    Bruce, while I agree this would be a nightmare if true, there is just no way you can extrapolate how many "actual" owners have cracked screens. Online polls like that are selective, if you have a cracked screen maybe you're more likely to respond to the poll, and that doesn't even include the number of people with some sort of malicious intent trying to skew numbers to scare people from purchasing the Pre. Not to mention the size of your "sample" here.

I for one would love to see the Pre continue to innovate and push Apple to do so as well. I love my iPhone, but yes there are things that can always improve. One thing I would love that the Pre has is... (no not multitasking) to be able to select bluetooth, or wifi at the top of the screen and gain access to the controls from a drop down menu or some other type of interface, just like you can in OSX. There's no reason for me to go to settings -- General -- Bluetooth -- and then toggle the switch to turn it on and off when there's a visual indicator right on the homescreen that can be utilized for that purpose. All in all the changes Apple has made are great, but they can always improve the product. 3.0 was a much larger update than most people realize. Sure they had to throw some features in there to get people excited like copy&paste and typing in landscape mode, but where we will really benefit is from the stuff that developers come up... and I'm not just talking about apps, but also the integration of hardware (look up AirStrip http://www.airstriptech.com/)

And now for a little Apple plug... the 3GS SOOOO much faster, definitely worth the upgrade.

Quote:

Concerning the cracked plastic PRE phones.

I feel ill. So many people were so upset, and sprint was stonewalling the whole thing.

There is a poll over at precentral <<what a name huh>> that shows 6 out of 28 PRE's had crack screens. So if they sold 280,000. PRE'S < pronounced pray > that means they may have over 60'000 cracked or cracking screens .AND over the next two weeks maybe tens of thousands more.

This is one of the worst consumer nightmares ever. < I am not grinning right now > .

I can just imagine consumer reports rating on this phone > zero

So the sky looks sunny for the 3g -3gs world. AS word gets out about this fiasco sales, for the 3gs should go even higher. and the re-sale for the 3g should also hold its ground.

Ps sprint is not taking back the cracked phones.

• Reply 206 of 366
    jb85jb85 Posts: 33member
    to know what apps are running in the background, when your on the home screen you could always highlight the name of the app. and from what i currently understand, i could be wrong, but apps don't close all the way? so if you double tapped on one of the background apps a little window would pop up giving the option to close out of the app. kinda like the little tab that pops up when you want to copy/paste. thats just my thoughts on the matter.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think we all agree, but I think many of us feel that most apps don?t need background apps to still be functional, even when offline, and that the way it?s implemented is very important. I don?t think WebOS, Android or WinMo are doing it correctly for end users or developers.

Excellent list!

For that reason I think Apple is working on background apps. I support their decision not to include it with the previous two models as CPU and RAM just aren?t good enough, but that limitation seems to have vanished as of today.

I don?t think it?s BS, but it?s certainly not the most prominent issue. I don?t think that we should automatically assume the user of a consumer device is tech savvy. With a device like the iPhone I think it?s important for Apple to work out the logistics of how backgrounds apps run and not jsut let them loose until the RAM is filled.

For example, Apple could allow for 2 apps to run in the background, but only apps that meet RAM, CPU and internet bandwidth guidelines. This would help maintain the usability of your foreground app and help developers since they know the maximum ?damage? the background apps could inflict on the system at large.

This could be turned on via the Settings » Background Apps where apps that have met the requirements by app are listed and where you get to toggle On the apps you wish to allow. This may include the iPod app as it does seem to take a toll on the system, at least with the first two iPhones.

Two know which iPhones are running in the background the Menu Bar could have a small icon to the left of the battery indictor or other icons on that side denoting a [B} for background apps running. Or a small icon of the app that is running in the background, though that may be too small to represent. The icon on the Home Page that is set for background app running could get a special badge or have the icon change slightly but noticeably so it?s easy to see.

But how would you kill the app if you no longer wanted it to run in the background? Would you have to go into settings to toggle it to Off?

Just some ideas, that was off the top of my head for how Apple could do it safely for their less-than-technical crowd. I?d love to hear some better examples.

• Reply 207 of 366
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joeypk07 View Post

Bruce, while I agree this would be a nightmare if true, there is just no way you can extrapolate how many "actual" owners have cracked screens. Online polls like that are selective, if you have a cracked screen maybe you're more likely to respond to the poll, and that doesn't even include the number of people with some sort of malicious intent trying to skew numbers to scare people from purchasing the Pre. Not to mention the size of your "sample" here.

I for one would love to see the Pre continue to innovate and push Apple to do so as well. I love my iPhone, but yes there are things that can always improve. One thing I would love that the Pre has is... (no not multitasking) to be able to select bluetooth, or wifi at the top of the screen and gain access to the controls from a drop down menu or some other type of interface, just like you can in OSX. There's no reason for me to go to settings -- General -- Bluetooth -- and then toggle the switch to turn it on and off when there's a visual indicator right on the homescreen that can be utilized for that purpose. All in all the changes Apple has made are great, but they can always improve the product. 3.0 was a much larger update than most people realize. Sure they had to throw some features in there to get people excited like copy&paste and typing in landscape mode, but where we will really benefit is from the stuff that developers come up... and I'm not just talking about apps, but also the integration of hardware (look up AirStrip http://www.airstriptech.com/)

And now for a little Apple plug... the 3GS SOOOO much faster, definitely worth the upgrade.

Well the number I made up as of 5 hours ago were a joke. It is now looking like every pre screen will crack at some point due to it being fragile . it is not like some screens are 1,3mm thick and may carck and some are 1.45 mm thick and can withstand rock fights .They are mass produced all the same .While my post above was tongue in cheek I would also say to you that wishing the pre to push apple higher is just not gonna happen. Only apple can push apple higher. And the software now drives the hardware, fantastic.

Enjoy your iphoe dude .

We have to wonder why sprint got first dibs ??
  • Reply 208 of 366
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

And somewhere . . . Steve Jobs is smilng slyly.

We have yet to see the full fallout from this, plus Palms numbers, but somehow I think that the "iPod Killer" curse applies to phones as well.

Steve is a happy camper after this weekend, hmm i forgot that the 3gs is an ipod .
  • Reply 209 of 366
    joeypk07joeypk07 Posts: 16member
    Bruce I hear ya... still a concern either way... and no way to tell if it's something that will crop up in other Pre's down the line. Always hard to tell the long-term durability of a new product.
  • Reply 210 of 366
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It's not satirical. Those comments are real.

Here's one thread about the cracks:

http://forums.palm.com/palm/board/me...age.uid=207668

What's interesting, is that while articles I've read in the media say that Palm and Sprint are handling this well, the customers here are mostly saying otherwise, requiring the insurance with a $100 upfront cost.

Here's from pre/central.net, where those comments have been coming from.

They would be incredibly funny, if they weren't so sadly real:

http://www.precentral.net/psb-pre-screen-cracks-emerge

Read this stuff, and come back and comment on it.

Ouch...and they are making some folks pony up $100.
  • Reply 211 of 366
    Quote:

Bruce I hear ya... still a concern either way... and no way to tell if it's something that will crop up in other Pre's down the line. Always hard to tell the long-term durability of a new product.

I am a gem stone dealer. And i have an idea that either the plastic was not allowed to set right, Or the pressure from around the screen < like a car windshield > is making it crack .

What is about to happen is a feeding frenzy with the pre customers swamping sprint stores with every little complaint. Right or wrong or true or false complaints. They have a short window to return their phone .30 day ? This is a very exspensive phone, Right now there asking a $100 dollar insurance fee or if i am wrong // only the people who paid a $100 dollar insurance fee gets a new phone

Who will pay for all these bad phones , And many people who have already replaced their cracked phone's have had it crack again. Go to palm central and read up dude before you hope for a better pre product. It may be over already .

Look joey the promise of what pre would be, will happen with another phone, Palm wiil learn and grow. At least its name will. Tech squads will step in and fix it and sell it next time in a more subdued manner.

Enjoy the weekend dude

• Reply 212 of 366
    Quote:

While we don't yet know the extent of this, it is worrying. Apparently, there are two different color boxes, or color trimmed boxes. The black ones seem to be having many problems with cracks from the button, as well as from the top and sides, along with some bubbling along the upper part of the screen. The orange boxed models, so far, are either scarce, or are not having as many problems. We'll just need some more time, and more phones sold to know what is happening.

A few years ago, I don't remember if it was with the Nano or the older Mini, but there were a number of reports of screens cracking. After a few weeks, or maybe just two, Apple announced that one run had problems. Apparently, the cut-out in the case for the screen was just a tiny bit too small (i.e. out of spec), and it put compression on the edges of the screen, which then broke from some slight flex or other handling activity. Apple said that there were about 20,000 units affected, gave the serial numbers out, and told people to get a new one.

Incident over!

The question here is how Palm and Sprint are handling this. If they're making many people pay that $100 deductible, then that's going to be a publicity nightmare.

The other problem is the scratching. Apple was given hell for a time about scratching screens. They came up with a very good solution. Later MS copied it for the Zune (surprise! But at least they saw a good idea, kudo's to them for that).

Now, palm want to make their new model seem so modern, curved and sleek. So they use an all plastic surface that, unlike the back case of my old Treo 700p, isn't scratch resistant. They also fail to recess the screen by even the slightest amount.

Well, its getting scratched. How will the public react to that, long term? They'll need a completely different design for a glass screen, because for one, they'll need to recess it a bit for safety.
  • Reply 213 of 366
    Quote:

I am a gem stone dealer. And i have an idea that either the plastic was not allowed to set right, Or the pressure from around the screen < like a car windshield > is making it crack .

What is about to happen is a feeding frenzy with the pre customers swamping sprint stores with every little complaint. Right or wrong or true or false complaints. They have a short window to return their phone .30 day ? This is a very exspensive phone, Right now there asking a $100 dollar insurance fee or if i am wrong // only the people who paid a $100 dollar insurance fee gets a new phone

Who will pay for all these bad phones , And many people who have already replaced their cracked phone's have had it crack again. Go to palm central and read up dude before you hope for a better pre product. It may be over already .

Look joey the promise of what pre would be, will happen with another phone, Palm wiil learn and grow. At least its name will. Tech squads will step in and fix it and sell it next time in a more subdued manner.

Enjoy the weekend dude

I strongly suspect that the glass LCD screen behind the plastic outside, is likely bonded to it. But it seems to me that the expansion rates from the two materials, together with the design, are incompatible. The heat from the charging seems to be blamed for at least part of this, as the temperature around the button, where most of the cracks start, becomes very high. The Touchstone charger is even worse in this regard, apparently.

If this is the problem, they are in for a new design.

Gemstone dealer hmm. What types of stones do you work with. I'm very interested in gemstones and minerals.
  • Reply 214 of 366
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Just spoke to Rogers.

Anybody that has had their iPhone 3G for at least 6 months can trade it in for a new 3GS for $250 CDN.

Tomorrow's Father's Day. Right?
  • Reply 215 of 366
    Quote:

I strongly suspect that the glass LCD screen behind the plastic outside, is likely bonded to it. But it seems to me that the expansion rates from the two materials, together with the design, are incompatible. The heat from the charging seems to be blamed for at least part of this, as the temperature around the button, where most of the cracks start, becomes very high. The Touchstone charger is even worse in this regard, apparently.

If this is the problem, they are in for a new design.

Gemstone dealer hmm. What types of stones do you work with. I'm very interested in gemstones and minerals.

So is this a limited run problem or a system wide problem. Imay be talking in a funny manner but this is a disaster for palm. They should have quietly, with no itunes talk at all , quietly introduced the pre. and let it evolve into its niche, ODDLY the zune has a 2 or 3 million person following . They love the zune to death. Why not. and that is still alot of people . Palm should have shot for asmaller market and grew out from there.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

here is my post card blurb w/ poem

northway stocks...

in CALIBRATED sizes from 1.3mm and up rounds and princess cuts in ruby, PINK, BLUE SAPPhire . tsavorite, mali grossular, mandarin garnets, aquamarine pink/ red tourm. bluegreen & green etc ....

---------

in calibrated and loose

beryl’s; fine aquamarine, yellow beryl & green beryl

garnets ; tsavorite, mali, mandarin, spessarite, rhodolite, malaya,

tourmaline’s red, rubelite,pink, indicolite, african green &

blue green, chrome tourm

fancy color tourmalines; yellow, lite sea green, peach to rootbeer browns etc...

precious topaz , fine peridot large size

also iolite, chrome diopside, lime, maderia citrine & amethyst etc..

======

IN chalcedony[ largeb stock & milky aqua cab

MANY CALIBRATED SIZES IN ROUND ANT OVAL

IN BRIOLETTES UP TO 10 COLORS

IN DOWN DRILL

6X4 7X5 8X5 9X6 10X7 12X7 AND 15X8

IN SIDE DRILL 6X4 7X5 8X5 AND ASSORTED LARGER

============ poem break =====================

on a silver horse the white queen rode down the frozen valley. a shattered ice world was hers. forever in shadow. her cape shimmering in silver and diamonds mirrored the endless night. behold far off a horn blew.

the queen swiftly rode on.

the pipers at the gates of dawn willed her on. far in the distance upon the highest peak she espied dawn’s coming. a single ray of sun caught the inside of her cloak, revealing many wonderful hued gems.a rainbow of beryl’s, rubies, garnets, tourmalines, azure.

yes, i remember she whispered ....

winter still reigned

still spring was coming bp

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

i have some cool minerals too some for sale

some i would give you free

some i can show you only

i have some sleeping tourmalines needle crystals in quartz matrix that is the cats meow .

peace

happy fathers day all

• Reply 216 of 366
    Quote:

So is this a limited run problem or a system wide problem. Imay be talking in a funny manner but this is a disaster for palm. They should have quietly, with no itunes talk at all , quietly intrduced the pre. and let it evolve into its niche, ODDLY the zune has a 2 or 3 million person following . They love the zune to death. Why not. and that is still alot of people . Palm should have shot for asmaller market and grew out fromthere.

I guess they had no choice about it. If they were do introduce it quietly, even if that were possible, the media wouldn't have let them, and they need the sales quickly. But these problems, if widespread, could hurt them.

Quote:

Gem stones . all shades of tourmaline red rubelite pink. green .blue green.coco brown yellow .

oh boy its a long lomg list , i do cabs and faceted i do briolettes i do fine melee sapphires in gem ceylon blue, yellow and pink i do rubies also in mellee's .

citrine

amethsyt

rhodolite

tsavorite

and i have a new garnet !!! chrome garnet !! very cool ..Aquamarine emerald green berly yellow berly

spessarite garnet

sorry i have a list somewhere i will send you . i have a booth on 47th st nyc i carry really cool odd stuff besides the regular stuff. Like quartz with sleeping tourmaline needles inside . or rare but cheap cat eyes in petrolite . as you see how i am with apple stuff i am a fanatic with gem stones .

I will pm you more stuff

oh also do you like pink floyd ?

peace dude

Very interesting. Yes, do PM me please.
  • Reply 217 of 366
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Just spoke to Rogers.

Anybody that has had their iPhone 3G for at least 6 months can trade it in for a new 3GS for $250 CDN.

Tomorrow's Father's Day. Right?

I thought it was $199.

I'll have had mine for a full year come Aug 1.
  • Reply 218 of 366
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

I thought it was $199.

I'll have had mine for a full year come Aug 1.

The relative value of the currencies.
  • Reply 219 of 366
    Quote:

So is this a limited run problem or a system wide problem. Imay be talking in a funny manner but this is a disaster for palm. They should have quietly, with no itunes talk at all , quietly introduced the pre. and let it evolve into its niche, ODDLY the zune has a 2 or 3 million person following . They love the zune to death. Why not. and that is still alot of people . Palm should have shot for asmaller market and grew out from there.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

here is my post card blurb w/ poem

northway stocks...

in CALIBRATED sizes from 1.3mm and up rounds and princess cuts in ruby, PINK, BLUE SAPPhire . tsavorite, mali grossular, mandarin garnets, aquamarine pink/ red tourm. bluegreen & green etc ....

---------

in calibrated and loose

beryl?s; fine aquamarine, yellow beryl & green beryl

garnets ; tsavorite, mali, mandarin, spessarite, rhodolite, malaya,

tourmaline?s red, rubelite,pink, indicolite, african green &

blue green, chrome tourm

fancy color tourmalines; yellow, lite sea green, peach to rootbeer browns etc...

precious topaz , fine peridot large size

also iolite, chrome diopside, lime, maderia citrine & amethyst etc..

======

IN chalcedony[ largeb stock & milky aqua cab

MANY CALIBRATED SIZES IN ROUND ANT OVAL

IN BRIOLETTES UP TO 10 COLORS

IN DOWN DRILL

6X4 7X5 8X5 9X6 10X7 12X7 AND 15X8

IN SIDE DRILL 6X4 7X5 8X5 AND ASSORTED LARGER

============ poem break =====================

on a silver horse the white queen rode down the frozen valley. a shattered ice world was hers. forever in shadow. her cape shimmering in silver and diamonds mirrored the endless night. behold far off a horn blew.

the queen swiftly rode on.

the pipers at the gates of dawn willed her on. far in the distance upon the highest peak she espied dawn?s coming. a single ray of sun caught the inside of her cloak, revealing many wonderful hued gems.a rainbow of beryl?s, rubies, garnets, tourmalines, azure.

yes, i remember she whispered ....

winter still reigned

still spring was coming bp

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

i have some cool minerals too some for sale

some i would give you free

some i can show you only

i have some sleeping tourmalines needle crystals in quartz matrix that is the cats meow .

peace

happy fathers day all

Amazing! This is some very interesting stuff. Thanks for posting.
  • Reply 220 of 366
    Quote:

The relative value of the currencies.

Ah, right.