iPhone 3G S faster than Palm Pre; 500K sales "conservative"

Comments

• Reply 241 of 366
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    double post
  • Reply 242 of 366
    error type 11

Look i am sorry for two long post s but anyone coming here defending the pre can refute the proof first .
  • Reply 243 of 366
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Bruce,

Please post a link to the comments. No need to copy/paste entire threads into this thread. It’s poor forum etiquette (if there is such a thing).
  • Reply 244 of 366
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

stories.

update on the Cracked screen disaster. and some comments from palm pre central

and one free link to travel over there all by your self .

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

[FONT="Times New Roman"][COLOR="Indigo"]

Joi

teckstud

Cracked Screen - Carrying Pre front pant pocket

Be careful, don't let this happen to your Pre.

Nah . . . it can't be..

He seriously got himself a Pre? Well, considering how unimpressed he is with the iPhone and all . . .
  • Reply 245 of 366
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Nah . . . it can't be..

He seriously got himself a Pre? Well, considering how unimpressed he is with the iPhone and all . . .

The Top Ten Reason Why that is not our Teckstud…
    10) The Pre is on Sprint, not Verizon

09) The comments did not use hyperbolic jargon

08) He didn’t state opinions as absolute, unwavering facts

07) The comments were informative

06) The comments were not overly emotional or negative

05) He did not state that his friends all have the same issue as he does

04) There is no comment about drinking Kool-Aid or being a fanboy if you Pre was not cracked

03) The writing was logical and thought out

02) He kindly told people to be careful with their Pre instead of stating they were doomed
    And the number one reason that is can’t be our Teckstud….
    01) He was thanked 22x in 9 posts
  • Reply 246 of 366
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The Top Ten Reason Why that is not our Teckstud...

10) The Pre is on Sprint, not Verizon

09) The comments did not use hyperbolic jargon

08) He didn’t state opinions as absolute, unwavering facts

07) The comments were informative

06) The comments were not overly emotional or negative

05) He did not state that his friends all have the same issue as he does

04) There is no comment about drinking Kool-Aid or being a fanboy if you Pre was not cracked

03) The writing was logical and thought out

02) He kindly told people to be careful with their Pre instead of stating they were doomed

And the number one reason that is can’t be our Teckstud….

01) He was thanked 22x in 9 posts

aww, Sol, that was priceless! Well put!

LOL, I miss him already.
  • Reply 247 of 366
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

More probably, optimization is usually the last thing you do unless performance is really hideous.

Yeah but in this case if the startup issues stem -- as I think they do -- from starting a new instance of webkit (or at least squirrelfish/nitro) there's a limit to what Palm'll be able to do short of recoding the apps using a native SDK.

Quote:

Palm does not. This is Palm's last shot and cracks appearing this early, and that major isn't a good thing. And no, it wasn't a given that the Pre would have hardware issues. I have a Tungsten that I finally broke that was rock solid.

The Tungsten line was an evolution of the previous generation PDA (the Tungsten T started development as the m550 and the Tungsten W was the i710), it was not a first generation product.

Quote:

Go to pre central and read what pre people are saying, ThEy are fleeing a sinking ship.Also what does apple anything have to do with this. The hair line cracks are a joke no big deal.

Well with that I know you belong to the bin of "fanboys not to take seriously".

Quote:

the real question is to what degree Palm (and Sprint) can a) absorb this problem with respect to costs in the short term, and b) how this issue, coupled with the iPhone 3G S' success will affect Palm's brand image (and consequently Sprint's bottom line) in the long term.

Definitely

Quote:

I'm not sure what Sprint's numbers are and how strapped Palm was before the Pre's release, but from what could be gleaned from the news and industry analysts, neither was doing very well. Some have even remarked that the Pre is supposed to "save" Sprint.

While I was aware of the Pre making or breaking Palm, I didn't know Sprint had issues to (not american). That's bad. I really think we need another game in town besides the iPhone in order to keep Apple moving (and straighten up their blasted AppStore approval process) and the Pre is pretty much the only one that could be it right now (the BBs still play to a different category, and Android isn't there yet esp. hardware-wise)

Quote:

and all it really needs to get meaningful traction in this market is a solid software/hardware upgrade track along with a robust and usable app store.

Yep, though those will be pretty big hurdles to pass (I didn't read good things on the PalmStore during pre-release previews/reviews, but I don't know how much that changed. The dearth of applications probably hasn't given Mojo is still private/invites only)
  • Reply 248 of 366
    Quote:

Bruce,

Please post a link to the comments. No need to copy/paste entire threads into this thread. It?s poor forum etiquette (if there is such a thing).

I felt we needed ammo when the pre fan bos get drunk and invade us again .

You guys found teckstud over there ??

wow small world lolololo

so should i shorten them ??? YAY or nay
  • Reply 249 of 366
    Quote:

I felt we needed ammo when the pre fan bos get drunk and invade us again .

You guys found teckstud over there ??

wow small world lolololo

The consensus seems to be that it isn't him, anyway.

We really only have one or maybe two Pre "fanboys" around here. Now I'm as militant as the next loyal Apple user, but the ones that do happen get lost on their way to Winsupersite aren't really much of a reason to get excited over.

Well . . . I think.
  • Reply 250 of 366
    Quote:

The general rule, which makes for easier reading, is to post the link after a short synopsis of why you are posting the link and/or quoted text from the thread that embodies what you found interesting about the thread. It makes for easier reading all around and you're more likely to get more responses. Case in point, I didn't even read your two long posts until Quadra posted a short snippet about it. Then I saw what you were getting at.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Example...

I found this on a Palm website. It appears that our beloved Teckstud may have purchased a Pre just to have it break almost immediately. Too funny if it is him.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Teckstud

Cracked Screen - Carrying Pre front pant pocket

Be careful, don't let this happen to your Pre.

I really have no idea how it happened, possibly while I was sitting in a chair that had plastic arms - and my leg pressed against it.

Looks like a soft case is needed - or maybe make certain the screen side is against your leg and not facing out.

• Reply 251 of 366
    Quote:

aww, Sol, that was priceless! Well put!

LOL, I miss him already.

Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week.
  • Reply 252 of 366
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by masklinn View Post

Not more than the iPhone hairline crack, or the whitebook hairline & palmrest cracks.

It was a given the Pre's hardware would have issues, your feigning surprise at it is disingenuous, especially on an Apple forum given Apple's track record on 1st-gen hardware casings.

Actually, when you consider all the models Apple has come out with over the years, including iPods and phones, they've got a pretty good record on casings. The hairline cracking on the phones never came to anything. I know a lot of people with iPhones, and none of us have had this problem. I'm talking about dozens of people. After a short while, all talk of it died out.

We have to see what happens here. but the difference between Apple and Palm is that Apple is a large company with a lot of money, while Palm is now a very small one with almost none.

If this product gets a bad rep early on from cracks and scratches, that, along with the purported way they and Sprint have been handling it, will hurt sales, and Palm can't afford that.

This is the product Palm needs to continue its existence. I hope for their sake this proves to be a limited, contained problem, but if it isn't...
  • Reply 253 of 366
    Quote:

Um, the iphone didn't recess it's screen...also Apple comped new phones during launch for pretty much anything if you could get to an Apple store. Folks had dropped and shattered their phones and got new ones.

That's true, but I'm seeing reports that say that using the Pre with the skin cases is a hassle because of the slide out keyboard. The iPhone doesn't have that problem, so the cases, such as the Incase models we got, provide that handily.

Apple is pretty good about these things, and it's one reason why they have a good rep.

Right now, it seems as though many Pre owners are being forced to pay that $100 deductible even if their screen cracked five minutes after they left the store and came right back with it. I'm sure that isn't true everywhere, but the fact that the majority of people who are writing in on the forums about their broken phones are having that happen to them is bad.
  • Reply 254 of 366
    Quote:

Bruce,

Please post a link to the comments. No need to copy/paste entire threads into this thread. It?s poor forum etiquette (if there is such a thing).

I posted links to this stuff earlier. It's easy to find by Googling Palm Pre cracks, or screen cracks.
  • Reply 255 of 366
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by masklinn View Post

The Tungsten line was an evolution of the previous generation PDA (the Tungsten T started development as the m550 and the Tungsten W was the i710), it was not a first generation product.

Yes, it's been a long time since I've had a real 1st gen Palm product but I don't recall ever thinking they were a bad company from that standpoint. It's not like they don't have any experience in building phones.

So I personally expected the Pre to be a fairly solid device from that standpoint. It still may be and the cracked screens just a bad run. An unfortunate bad run given it would likely be a large part of the current base...the 50K launch number was tiny.
  • Reply 256 of 366
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Premature!

Precarious

Predoom!!!
  • Reply 257 of 366
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I posted links to this stuff earlier. It's easy to find by Googling Palm Pre cracks, or screen cracks.

i will shorten
  • Reply 258 of 366
    Quote:

Bruce,

\\i made them much shorter thank you friend for your guidance
  • Reply 259 of 366
    joeypk07joeypk07 Posts: 16member
    So just something I've been thinking about... will we be able to get an accurate gauge on how many Pre's are really being used based on shipping numbers? It appears that there are many people returning/exchanging the devices, and sometimes are just being sent second units and told to keep the first. I'm sure this is true of any device; however, in this case there seems to be an inordinate number of screens with dead pixels, light leakage, cracks, loose sliders, poorly seated batteries etc.
  • Reply 260 of 366
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I have no way of knowing just how prevalent the Pre screen cracking issue is, but I can't help but notice that Google searches all lead back to the same stuff on PreCentral. There doesn't seem to be any wider reporting, and the sense of a "growing problem" just seems to be more sites linking back to the same thing.

Now, if this is because there aren't that many Pre sites yet, so people reporting problems are more or less obliged to do it at PreCentral, I have no idea.

But I do know that if a bunch of people came here and talked about, say, how their iPhone volume button had broken, it would strike me as stupid if the wider tech press took that as evidence that there was a big problem with the iPhone.

And, typically, if it were an actual endemic problem with an Apple product there would be first hand reporting across multiple sites. To the extent I can even find additional Pre centric message boards, this doesn't seem to be a topic of discussion.

Like I say, have no way of knowing. But it does seem at least plausible that a handful of posters at a single pre site could undergo the magic internet magnification effect and suggest a big problem where none exists.