Palm fires back at Apple, fixes Pre sync with iTunes

Comments

• Reply 141 of 166
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,064member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mavi View Post

There's not really any difference between what Microsoft was doing with IE with what Apple is doing with Itunes. Microsoft didn't force IE onto everyone who bought a computer, just people who bought computers running windows who knew what they were doing.

Yes they did. First of all, it automatically installed or came as the default browser. Then it couldn't be uninstalled. You could only get rid of the icon from the desktop. And lastly, Microsoft forced or tricked their developers to write using their own version of Java. Instead of Sun Java. Since Netscape was optimized for Sun Java, many websites written with MS Java wouldn't open properly in Netscape (if at all.). So the consumers was forced to use IE when visiting websites that were written using MS Java. Eventually, so many websites were written with MS Java that the consumers just kept IE as their default browser and never bother with Netscape. If MS had not forced or tricked their developers to use MS Java, Netscape may had had a chance. As it was the better browser at the time.
  • Reply 142 of 166
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Good god- how many software updates for iTunes does this mean we will get this year?

I'd like to start a class action lawsuit for that inconvenience alone.
  • Reply 143 of 166
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Why would you think they would even care as long as it works?

Yeah, I guess I wouldn't expect they care about finer details like that to begin with - after all they did by a Pre on a Sprint contract so they can't have too much of a standard for excellence. But it would definitely bug me - if the maker of the device I trust so much with my personal details couldn't even figure out (or care to figure out) how to change an icon.
  • Reply 144 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

Who suggested apple should spend money on making sure other products could sync. All Anyones said is apple should stop spending money on trying to stop other products from syncing.

I think this is a great response from palm. Apple users will eventually get pissed of if apple keeps releasing updates just to break the pre. And palm are just giving users what they want. Why would anyone want one program to sync with there iPod and another for there phone. If apple doesn't want to let others sync through iTunes then they shouldn't either and go back to using iSync, after all wasn't that the whole point of it.

Another thing if apple bring out a camera will that justify them in breaking photo sync in iphoto with everyone elses camera.

I agree. I don't understand why everyone is getting their collective panties in a bunch. It would be great if Apple exposed an API for iTunes synchronization. I think it would increase their dominance in online music sales. I think Apple is being short-sighted. They don't have to support anything that syncs to iTunes except their own product(s). The only thing they'd need to do is provide good documentation and a good forum for developers to report bugs... and I believe they already do that for their software offerings.

I think Apple users have for so long been the underdog that it effects judgement. I've never seen so many cases of extreme fanboy-ism. It's unnerving. But, I guess that's the world today - react before thinking.

Yes, I'm a Mac owner. I just bought my 4th Mac. I love the platform.
  • Reply 145 of 166
    awmawmawmawm Posts: 67member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mavi View Post

No, the issue at the time was that it came with the computer and that the computers couldn't be sold with Netscape on it. The uninstallability of it was never an issue.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Better think again....

uninstallability - what a lovely word...
  • Reply 146 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPhone1982 View Post

That's not the point. Microsoft had to allow other Browsers on their Operating System. Apple has become Microsoft. Biil Gates Gives to Charity and Steve buys Livers.

Who's the evil one.

You need a better understanding of this dynamic. Micosoft was already a monopoly and chose to limit other browsers on their dominant Windows OS in favor of their own Internet Explorer. Apple tied the iPod and iTunes together as part of their well conceived strategy to become the market leader. And it's worked. This is how they've always done it. There's nothing new here. The Mac and Mac OS are closely tied. It's a closed system approach. Unlike Microsoft's open system approach. The EU recognizes this and has stated that Apple's iPod/iTunes closed system is not illegal. There's no evil on Apple's part, just good old fashioned competition. Palm uses a hack to trick iTunes into thinking it's an iPod. That's where the evil lies.

You're complaining about Apple being evil, yet you're willing to overlook the obvious evil in Palm's action. Just look at what Palm did! They HACKED the competitor's application to force it to work with their device and that's somehow okay with you? The simple solution is for Palm to build their own media software and music store for the Pre customer.
  • Reply 147 of 166
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

This would be the smarter way to go, but you know that Apple would just do a software update to the iPod/iPhone software that breaks their ability to see that hypothetical Palm app.

I think it's fair game for Palm to figure out a way to make their device work with the current standard software (iTunes), just as much as it's fair game for Apple to use their software to only promote their devices. They're both doing what you should expect that they'd do.

You just don't get it. THERE IS SOFTWARE that allows third-party MP3 players (including phones) to sync to iTunes - people have mentioned them several times. Apple has no problem with this. All Palm has to do is put this software on the Pre, or instruct users how to get it, or develop their own version, or buy out some developer.

What Palm is doing is hacking Apple software, to fool it into thinking the Pre is an actual iPod. This is, pure and simply, hacking. It's unethical, and probably illegal in some way. For Palm to rely on this method, instead of producing a simple software program, is ridiculous. Palm doesn't have to build an entire iTunes-like ecosystem - just an app that legitimately interacts with iTunes.
  • Reply 148 of 166
    sdfishersdfisher Posts: 59member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

This would be the smarter way to go, but you know that Apple would just do a software update to the iPod/iPhone software that breaks their ability to see that hypothetical Palm app.

No, that would be a line that Apple has had opportunity to cross with other vendors and hasn't.
  • Reply 149 of 166
    sdfishersdfisher Posts: 59member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by azcodemonkey View Post

It would be great if Apple exposed an API for iTunes synchronization.

That's the point: THEY DO! It's XML, the file system and USB. Blackberry does this right. Palm doesn't.
  • Reply 150 of 166
    lvidallvidal Posts: 158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

This is not a stupid move for Palm, and emulating Apple is not a 'killer' for them; it is a non-issue. Consumers don't buy products, or not buy products, because they think 'Ah! This copies Apple! Yes!' or 'No! This copies Apple! Yuck!' They often buy emotionally and impulsively, based on their perceptions of the device. How could this move 'sink' their product?

ITunes compatibility is likely a plus for them, as long as they can maintain it.

Yes, man. More people than you think buy their products thinking 'this is original and this other is a copy', some prefer to pay less when a product is a copy just to have something similar, and others prefer to pay less because didn't have enough money to spend. But what its true is that they really want the original and when they can they buy it.

Now the iTunes syncing isn't something that Palm should sell as a 'feature' of its device because, as long as is convenient for users of the Pre, is something done in the wrong manner using others software without permission. If Apple has done something similar its wrong too, is thiefing anothers work. There's no way Palm are doing the right thing, and it's a bad, very bad publicity campaign when you talk shit about a competitor and then you use their tools for your rival product. Yes, is stupid.

How this move sinks the Pre? See: Now everybody's notion is that Palm is an imitator when they connect their Pres and iTunes recognizes as an iPod. At that very moment, subconciously you are acting in those users minds, and everytime they connect their Pres they always innevitably think about the iPhone and its cool features, and that what they have it's just a copy of that. It's a bad step. It is the same wrong direction every other makers are taking, trying to do the same things the iPhone do, you can't compete with Apple copying their stuff, you have to be original as they are. That's the reason why nobody will kill the iPhone in the next years. How many years? I don't know, but by now iPhone will be the king, like it or not, and the Pre is very far from that throne.
  • Reply 151 of 166
    mivemive Posts: 3member
    There is a difference between not supporting the pre and actively breaking Pre's syncing capabilities. Despite the fact that it is pretty lame that Palm does not provide their users with their own syncing software, I feel this is a battle that Apple is going to lose. Palm may be childish here, Apple is too. Why doesn't Apple license out the sync module to Palm? After all, MS has done the same with their exchange protocols, and we are all very happy with that. And why should Apple take the risk that Palm does team up with other parties and does create a viable alternative for the itunes universe? Just let these guys hook up and be confident that ipod/iphone is still the best out there.
  • Reply 152 of 166
    ameristamerist Posts: 77member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MsNly View Post

Apple should right some sort of virus thing that hits your Pre when you sync it like they wrote the iWork one =P

FAIL!
    • Apple did not "write" the "malware" which some people discovered when they installed an illegally shared copy of iWork09 downloaded through BitTorrent.

• Your entire comment is so utterly asinine I wonder why you even bothered to post it.

• Reply 153 of 166
    If your printer or video card didnt come with drivers to work with the OS, do you blame the OS company instead of the manufacturer? Palm HAS TO take responsibility to write driver/sync software for its own device just like every manufacturer.

Apple doesn't owe its competitors anything. It has nothing to do with anti-trust, etc.
  • Reply 154 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OskiO View Post

Someone gave my wife a Zen Stone for running last year. It is great and just what she needed but I can't us it with iTunes so I'm left with hacking the music in or shelling out more money for a Shuffle. That is BS. I mean I love Apple products, own quite a few, iPhone(2), Touch, Nano, Mac Minis, MacBook but it pisses me off when another company has a great product and it won't work with an Apple product because of Apple. You suck Apple when it comes to playing fair.

I gave that ugly Zen to your hot lusty wife. I cant believe she likes it. Dont blame Apple because Zen manufacturer was too lazy to write SW for it. Stop trolling.
  • Reply 155 of 166
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Halvri View Post

You have to understand, there are only two kinds of Pre owners: 1) ones like me that bought it because we liked Sprint's plans and it was a decent phone and 2) people who wanted an iPhone that was made by anyone but Apple.

The first crowd sees all of this for what it is, the second crowd just wants another chance to tell Apple to go xxxk itself.

really ?? The pre is a piece of shit phone with broken cracked bubbled screens that can't even play music . The Iphone 3g kills the pre.

YOU are too dull to know this but each time msft makes a change to its OS

apple has to update /patch its itunes.

since 85 percent of all itunes is installed on a windows machine then how can you blame apple ???

And msft can reall;y screw pre by waiting for magic mass sign PRE up moment amd make a major change to vista .

Why you hate apple is beyond me, apple is just the best device maker ever. No other company cares as much for its clients like apple /

NO OTHER COMPANY COMES CLOSE DUDE .

so go love sprint and pre and leave apples to apples

NO IPHONE FOR YOU
  • Reply 156 of 166
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jregooden View Post

You need a better understanding of this dynamic. Micosoft was already a monopoly and chose to limit other browsers on their dominant Windows OS in favor of their own Internet Explorer. Apple tied the iPod and iTunes together as part of their well conceived strategy to become the market leader. And it's worked. This is how they've always done it. There's nothing new here. The Mac and Mac OS are closely tied. It's a closed system approach. Unlike Microsoft's open system approach. The EU recognizes this and has stated that Apple's iPod/iTunes closed system is not illegal. There's no evil on Apple's part, just good old fashioned competition. Palm uses a hack to trick iTunes into thinking it's an iPod. That's where the evil lies.

You're complaining about Apple being evil, yet you're willing to overlook the obvious evil in Palm's action. Just look at what Palm did! They HACKED the competitor's application to force it to work with their device and that's somehow okay with you? The simple solution is for Palm to build their own media software and music store for the Pre customer.

HA HA this guy missed the fact that itunes is a windows mostly software

85 to 14
  • Reply 157 of 166
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

HA HA this guy missed the fact that itunes is a windows mostly software

85 to 14

And that makes a difference because?
  • Reply 158 of 166
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amerist View Post

FAIL!
    • Apple did not "write" the "malware" which some people discovered when they installed an illegally shared copy of iWork09 downloaded through BitTorrent.

• Your entire comment is so utterly asinine I wonder why you even bothered to post it.

No, you my friend are "FAIL" because you can't detect sarcasm or read, I posted a similar response to this later in the thread.
  • Reply 159 of 166
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

Apple made iTunes for iPod sales.

Apple doesn't make money from the Palm Pre.

Yeah, but if Apple licensed access to iTunes, they WOULD make money. Just figure out an algorithm that offsets iPod losses with Pre license fees. You could even make it big, like $100 per Pre or so. Apple makes money off the few people that buy a Pre. The Pre doesn't really compete with the iPhone/iPod anyway - esp. re apps, so why not?!?!?!

Again this is just about figuring out the right price. Then the Pre becomes the iPhone's red haired cousin and actually begins to depend upon Apple. I think they could have done this with Scandisk and others, just make it expensive enough that you make money off of the people that weren't going to buy an Apple product anyway.

PLUS if they bought all their music on iTunes, even iTunes +, they are more likely to upgrade to the next revolutionary, cool Apple thing than they are to the incrementally better Palm device.

If its just about money, just set a price.

If its just about market share, just keep the innovative lead and people's mindshare on iTunes.

If its about ego and not partnering with Palm, just get over it. They are no threat.
  • Reply 160 of 166
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

Last time I checked, you don't sync your iPod via the audio jack. Stop making silly claims.

Doesn't the shuffle sync via the headphone jack?