Well, it's time: E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!

Comments

• Reply 261 of 286
    o-maco-mac Posts: 777member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

<BUMP>

Eagles sign league's top corner....Asante Samuel.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5g...fHzIgD8V4GHRG0

Now, you're probably expecting me to do a victory dance. Not so. I think he'll make a great addition. But they were really fine at corner, so unless they are going to can Lito Shepard, I don't know as it's a move I understand. Of course, they might move Sheldon Brown to to Safety...he played that position in college.

Right...well next step: Kick returner. After that, Defensive End. Last piece will be a little wideout help.

building up for NOW and for the future...If Lito or Sheldon or Asante get hurt, you got no weakness in the secondary.

Eagles aren't done yet...let's see what they finally bring into Training camp...
  • Reply 262 of 286
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote:

<BUMP>

Eagles sign league's top corner....Asante Samuel.

Right...well next step: Kick returner. After that, Defensive End. Last piece will be a little wideout help.

Interesting. Like you said, it's not like they needed the help at corner, unless there is some injury concern we don't know about.

Personally, I'd put WR help first, then DE then a returner.
  • Reply 263 of 286
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPoster View Post

Interesting. Like you said, it's not like they needed the help at corner, unless there is some injury concern we don't know about.

Personally, I'd put WR help first, then DE then a returner.

I disagree. Reggie Brown and Curtis can easily get the job done, especially of LJ Smith is healthy. Couple then with Westbrook and a healthy McNabb, and they'll be quite strong.

A WR would be nice, but unless it's a marquee player or someone that can really stretch, I don't see the point. What they MUST have is a kick returner. They would have won probably two more games if they had that (at least the GB game). They also need to take care of the DE position. WR is a priority, but the last one IMO.
  • Reply 264 of 286
    Quote:

I disagree. Reggie Brown and Curtis can easily get the job done, especially of LJ Smith is healthy. Couple then with Westbrook and a healthy McNabb, and they'll be quite strong.

A WR would be nice, but unless it's a marquee player or someone that can really stretch, I don't see the point. What they MUST have is a kick returner. They would have won probably two more games if they had that (at least the GB game). They also need to take care of the DE position. WR is a priority, but the last one IMO.

They are all important positions that need filling. Curtis and Brown are adequate starters, but what I meant was a marquee WR who can scare a defense and draw the double team, things nobody presently on the Eagles can do. Teams played us with 7 in the box almost the whole year, no respect at all for the WR. (which makes Westy's year look even better!) Look at the difference in McNabb's numbers when T.O. was playing well, and before and since.

L.J. is a question mark coming off of injury, but I think Celek has potential at the TE spot just in case.

A DE to bookend with Cole would be good of course.

But of course, if any of us really knew what we were talking about, we'd be getting that cushy front office salary!
  • Reply 265 of 286
    Quote:

They are all important positions that need filling. Curtis and Brown are adequate starters, but what I meant was a marquee WR who can scare a defense and draw the double team, things nobody presently on the Eagles can do. Teams played us with 7 in the box almost the whole year, no respect at all for the WR. (which makes Westy's year look even better!) Look at the difference in McNabb's numbers when T.O. was playing well, and before and since.

L.J. is a question mark coming off of injury, but I think Celek has potential at the TE spot just in case.

A DE to bookend with Cole would be good of course.

But of course, if any of us really knew what we were talking about, we'd be getting that cushy front office salary!

True, then we could get paid millions to field an 8-8 team!
  • Reply 266 of 286
    The Eagles have filled that DE spot, with Chris Clemons. I haven't seen him play myself, but from articles I've read he has a good upside, as long as he can avoid the injury bug he's been having trouble with.
  • Reply 267 of 286
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Is this really the most current EAGLES thread?

Wow, what a fun game to watch. But I need some considered opinion here. What are our chances against Dallas on Monday. I'm not sure how much weight to give a dominating performance against St. Louis--They looked just terrible.

Anyway, I work with a big D fan, and I don't want to talk too much sh!t if were gonna get creamed.

Well, actually, I can't help it with a Dallas fan. I will talk either way. But I'd like to know your opinion of their relative strengths...
  • Reply 268 of 286
    This thread needs to be retired.

Someone start the "Faggoty Hat Brady thread" for our 2008 NFL season...
  • Reply 269 of 286
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Is this really the most current EAGLES thread?

Wow, what a fun game to watch. But I need some considered opinion here. What are our chances against Dallas on Monday. I'm not sure how much weight to give a dominating performance against St. Louis--They looked just terrible.

Anyway, I work with a big D fan, and I don't want to talk too much sh!t if were gonna get creamed.

Well, actually, I can't help it with a Dallas fan. I will talk either way. But I'd like to know your opinion of their relative strengths...

The Eagles looked sharp, but that was only the Rams. Monday night will be the real test. That new kid Jackson looks like the real deal at WR, reminds me of the 'Smurfs' guys on the Joe Gibs Redskins teams. Might be a little too small to be out there ever play though.
  • Reply 270 of 286
    They certainly did look great. Yes, it was the Rams, but they still had to execute. And, it's not like last year where they looked bad in prior games, then slammed a team later. BTW, I was at the game (at 7 am!).

Dallas is only "the real test" in the sense that we see how they look. It's only week 2. If they pull off a win or a even a narrow loss, a lot of people are going to put them "back on the map" in the NFC. I can't say I'll be surprised if they win. I've felt the team has been really underrated coming into the season...which is sort of the opposite of what has happened in the past two or three years. That said, Dallas is very good (as much as I hate them with the burning passion of 1,000 suns). So...who knows. I just know I'll be at Winner's Circle in Exton for all you can eat wings and crab legs. That's right...bitches.
  • Reply 271 of 286
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Hey, looks like Michael Vick is playing for the Eagles now. What a fantastic addition (sarcasm)!
  • Reply 272 of 286
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PBG4 Dude View Post

Hey, looks like Michael Vick is playing for the Eagles now. What a fantastic addition (sarcasm)!

Don't get me started. For now, I'm waiting to see what happens. However, I really don't see why they did this. The negatives simply outweigh the positives.
  • Reply 273 of 286
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

Don't get me started. For now, I'm waiting to see what happens. However, I really don't see why they did this. The negatives simply outweigh the positives.

What negatives? They got a pro bowl QB for chump change and does 7.5 yards per carry.

Sure, some PETA folks are pissed but he was getting back in the game anyway and given that kind of versitle player the Eagles are going to be really interesting.
  • Reply 274 of 286
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PBG4 Dude View Post

Yeah, I can't believe the picked him up. But then again, this is the same team whose fans threw snowballs at Santa Clause, so maybe it's a perfect fit.

As far as his contributions to the team, I think he's a heck of an athlete and as such I think he will definitely help the team. And as a NYGiant fan, I have to admit his addition to the team worries me...
  • Reply 275 of 286
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

What negatives? They got a pro bowl QB for chump change and does 7.5 yards per carry.

Sure, some PETA folks are pissed but he was getting back in the game anyway and given that kind of versitle player the Eagles are going to be really interesting.

There has been a LOT of negative attention, not just from PETA. Many fans are refusing to support the team as a result. It won't hurt their bottom line, but it's happening. The Philly sports media is going through convulsions on talk shows with fans. We had the NAACP and black clergy on the street before Thursday's game supporting him. We had other protests against him.

We have an established quaterback and a backup who the Eagles describe as a "franchise" player. We have a solid third string QB as well.

For all the controversy, we get a guy who hasn't played in two years and who will basically be a trick player.

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of advantages. He looked good the other day and I'm not in the "super pissed off" club.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

Yeah, I can't believe the picked him up. But then again, this is the same team whose fans threw snowballs at Santa Clause, so maybe it's a perfect fit.

As far as his contributions to the team, I think he's a heck of an athlete and as such I think he will definitely help the team. And as a NYGiant fan, I have to admit his addition to the team worries me...

• Reply 276 of 286
    Well I'm cautiously optimistic for the upcoming Eagles season. The offense should be strong but there are some big question marks on defense. Still don't understand the point of the whole Vick thing, the Eagles don't have a history of being a gimmick team under Reid...
  • Reply 277 of 286
    Quote:

Well I'm cautiously optimistic for the upcoming Eagles season. The offense should be strong but there are some big question marks on defense. Still don't understand the point of the whole Vick thing, the Eagles don't have a history of being a gimmick team under Reid...

Well, I honestly have no clue about this year. 2 months ago I would have told you I thought they had their strongest team since 2003. But then Bradley went down...the Andrews thing kept going, etc. My biggest concerns are:

1) Offensive line. We need Big John Runyan back, and we need him back badly. Peters should improve, but has not been impressive. I'm one game away from completely writing off Winston Justice. Shawn Andrews is becoming an unmitigated joke. The Eagles need to cut him if he doesn't get his shit together. Who knows about his brother.

2) Linebacker: Bradley is a big loss on a unit that I never considered among the Eagle's best anyway.

3) Safety: Demps decided to tank it, thereby giving Harris a chance. Who knows. Obviously Dawkins is gone. We still don't know how much that will affect them.

4) McNabb: I want him to do well, but I thought he looked terrible nearly all pre-season.

There have been a lot of great additions, like Maclin at WR, Weaver at FB, McCoy at RB. We also have Jackson, who could end of being a beast of a WR. In fact, the receivers are the best they've been since I've been a fan.

At this point I don't know if Vick is a positive. I do predict that we'll have a QB controversy within about 5 weeks. The fans were already calling for Vick in the pre-season. Wait until McNabb plays like he did in Baltimore last year. There will be riots.

Anyway, I hate to be negative, but I just have no idea what to expect from this team. We'll see tomorrow. If they suck, I'll still have 90 wings and a 30 pack of Miller Lite, not to mention a few nice cigars.
  • Reply 278 of 286
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

Anyway, I hate to be negative, but I just have no idea what to expect from this team. We'll see tomorrow. If they suck, I'll still have 90 wings and a 30 pack of Miller Lite, not to mention a few nice cigars.

A 3-1 wing/beer ratio is somewhat suboptimal. I'd get 120 wings.
  • Reply 279 of 286
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    They played great today. I thought it was an even match-up going in with the Panthers eventually winning.

Not even close...
  • Reply 280 of 286
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

A 3-1 wing/beer ratio is somewhat suboptimal. I'd get 120 wings.

Nah...I like the 3-1. It depends on how many wing eaters we have. Plus, I make the wings. I make my own sauce, fry them in the turkey frier, etc.

Panthers game: Fantastic performance, team wide. Sucks about McNabb. At least he scored.

New Orleans: Uggg. The linebackers were exposed. That offense is sick. It doesn't help that Samuel refuses to play press coverage. I thought Kolb was actually very good most of the game. And oh look..B-West is hurt. Imagine that.

Kansas City: This should be an easy win as KC is terrible. The real action should be off the field after this game, where we are supposedly going to sign 4 time pro-bowler/former Eagle/former Redskin/former Eagle, Jeremiah Trotter! They'll likely release Garcia and might even pick up Big John Runyan again. McNabb will play after the bye too.