Apple annual music event to be held Sept. 9 - report

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A new report states that Apple, as expected, will hold its annual iPod and media centric event for the week of Labor Day, scheduling the keynote for Wednesday, Sept. 9.



Rumors began to swirl last week that Apple would host an event that week, but the date should come as no surprise: For years, the iPod maker has scheduled its media keynote in the first half of September.



Digital Daily has confirmed the date as well as a San Francisco location with sources, and also passes word that the long-rumored tablet device will not be unveiled. AppleInsider sources have also long maintained that stance, and insist that the product will launch in early 2010.



Previous events were held at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts, though Apple has not yet specified a location. Digital Daily sources also could not say who would be presiding over the event, though company faithful hope to see co-founder Steve Jobs return to the stage.



Expected to be a part of the event are "Cocktail," Apple's full-length album download bundle with extras, and a new iPod touch and iPod nano, both sporting cameras.



There have also been rumors about a new iTunes, version 9, possibly with support for Blu-ray discs and social media integration. Apple has also reportedly been working on a video on demand service for its media player.



At last year's event, Apple unveiled iTunes 8 with the new Genius feature, debuted the fourth-generation iPod nano, introduced a reworked iPod touch with hardware volume controls and built-in Nike + iPod support, and refreshed the iPod classic with a 120GB model.
«134

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 68
    eduardoeduardo Posts: 181member
    Can we expect new iMacs on the same day as the music event?



    That would be cool (in indeed iTunes 9.0 carries Blu Ray support).
  • Reply 2 of 68
    aiolosaiolos Posts: 228member
    "Cocktail" should be pretty cool, and so should the new camera-equipped iPods.



    Hopefully support for Bluray *crosses fingers*.



    No surprise about no tablet.
  • Reply 3 of 68
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Interesting that this will likely be the last iPod event where the original (classic) iPod is involved.



    Personally, I'm hoping for an all new iTunes that actually makes some sense, but I'm not holding my breath over it. Apple makes so much money off the store it's unlikely they will do anything to hinder that.
  • Reply 4 of 68
    Really wanna see a Steve Jobs keynote again. He'll get a standing ovation just by walking onto the stage.
  • Reply 5 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eduardo View Post


    Can we expect new iMacs on the same day as the music event?



    That would be cool (in indeed iTunes 9.0 carries Blu Ray support).



    Updated Macs have always been done separately. This will surely focus only on the iPod/iTunes/iTunes Store.



    The idea of ?Blu-ray support in iTunes 9? makes little sense to me. For starters, QuickTime or iTunes can?t play protected DVDs at this point. Apple has DVD player specifically for that and it?s still that way in Snow Leopard. Lumping Blu-ray playback (which is the only support worthwhile here) seems silly. Secondly, Apple hasn?t made Leopard or Snow Leopard support Blu-ray?s needed AACS at the OS level so adding Blu-ray playback to any app is foolish without that added first. Finally, putting focus on Blu-ray when Apple has a competing business of selling digital video makes absolutely no sense at this event. If they were to add it should be in a point update away from this event that updates the OS and updates DVD Player to play Blu-ray titles.
  • Reply 6 of 68
    ivladivlad Posts: 740member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eduardo View Post


    Can we expect new iMacs on the same day as the music event?



    That would be cool (in indeed iTunes 9.0 carries Blu Ray support).



    No this is gonna be all about music. iMac will be announced, logically, at a computer evert. Maybe with the Tablet.
  • Reply 7 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post


    Interesting that this will likely be the last iPod event where the original (classic) iPod is involved.



    Personally, I'm hoping for an all new iTunes that actually makes some sense, but I'm not holding my breath over it. Apple makes so much money off the store it's unlikely they will do anything to hinder that.



    I like the current iTunes feel okay, it?s the iTunes Store I hate. I now only buy things with my iPhone unless it?s a video. I just hate the cluttered setup.



    Why do you think there will be a new iPod Classic? What do you think will be new about it? I think the only real change last time was cost-per-GB drop when the bumped the single-platter 80GB to 120GB and dropped the double-platter 160GB version. Unless they use iPhone OS X and a 3.5? touchscreen (which is highly unlikely, I think) to make it into a super capacity iPod Touch (with the caveat that it?s slower to access the drive), as the App Store and mobile iTunes Store is just too important to Apple. Otherwise, I don?t see any changes or updates coming, and potentially discontinuing the device altogether if the sales have been low enough to justify it.
  • Reply 8 of 68
    wigbywigby Posts: 691member
    9-9-09?



    does anyone else think there might be a connection to the beatles big release on rock band? i guess i'm reaching but it's the same date and if they could license every beatle song for the ps3, xbox and wii, why not itunes? this would be a nice little surprise for itunes, cocktail, new ipods and whatever else apple has up their sleeve.
  • Reply 9 of 68
    Why Wednesday and not Tuesday for the event? Maybe Wigby is onto something.
  • Reply 10 of 68
    whatever could it be? hmmm
  • Reply 11 of 68
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,721member
    Love that date!



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wigby View Post


    9-9-09?



    does anyone else think there might be a connection to the beatles big release on rock band? i guess i'm reaching but it's the same date and if they could license every beatle song for the ps3, xbox and wii, why not itunes? this would be a nice little surprise for itunes, cocktail, new ipods and whatever else apple has up their sleeve.



    This will be, in part, about the remastered Beatles catalog.
  • Reply 12 of 68
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post


    Why Wednesday and not Tuesday for the event? Maybe Wigby is onto something.



    Or because the Monday is Labor Day in the US and they don't want to make the journalist have to travel for work on a 3-day holiday weekend in order to make a Tuesday event or make their own employees work that Monday setting up for the event.



    Because Steve is a nice guy that way.
  • Reply 13 of 68
    Wonder if they will unleash Snow Leopard then as well ? Don't see an event to just release the new OS..
  • Reply 14 of 68
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post


    Updated Macs have always been done separately. This will surely focus only on the iPod/iTunes/iTunes Store.



    The idea of ?Blu-ray support in iTunes 9? makes little sense to me. For starters, QuickTime or iTunes can?t play protected DVDs at this point. Apple has DVD player specifically for that and it?s still that way in Snow Leopard. Lumping Blu-ray playback (which is the only support worthwhile here) seems silly. Secondly, Apple hasn?t made Leopard or Snow Leopard support Blu-ray?s needed AACS at the OS level so adding Blu-ray playback to any app is foolish without that added first. Finally, putting focus on Blu-ray when Apple has a competing business of selling digital video makes absolutely no sense at this event. If they were to add it should be in a point update away from this event that updates the OS and updates DVD Player to play Blu-ray titles.







    Managed copy and most iPhone and iPod users are on windows so it doesn't matter if there is no snow leopard support yet. It's apple inc, not apple computer
  • Reply 15 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post


    Managed copy and most iPhone and iPod users are on windows so it doesn't matter if there is no snow leopard support yet. It's apple inc, not apple computer



    None of that is germane to iTunes supporting Blu-ray. The managed copy is just a file that can be read by iTunes and/or WMP. It is on a separate DVD from what I?ve seen, but even if it was on a Blu-ray disc, you still don?t need to do anything but drag it into iTunes from the mounted disc. As for Apple?s name change, I hope you aren?t implying that Apple doesn?t focus on computers anymore.
  • Reply 16 of 68
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    mac's to apple are Windows and Office to MS. bastard step children that must be taken care of. they provide cash flow but the real growth is in other products. for apple it's the iphone and Microsoft it's in SQL, Exchange and other server products



    you were able to play DVD's on Windows long before there was official support for it. the drive is recognized like any other optical device and the software was PowerDVD or one of the handful of other software DVD players.



    i can buy a blu-ray drive for $58 for my PC now. if QT comes out with blu-ray support a lot of people will be visiting NewEgg
  • Reply 17 of 68
    I wonder if a Cocoa-based iTunes is on the cards, to coincide with the imminent release of Snow Leopard...
  • Reply 18 of 68
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 31,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caskey09 View Post


    Really wanna see a Steve Jobs keynote again. He'll get a standing ovation just by walking onto the stage.



    I just don't see that happening. He still looks far too frail, which would eclipse the presentation. Let him either physically improve or continue to engineer events from off-stage. I still feel horrible for the guy and his family.
  • Reply 19 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post


    Why Wednesday and not Tuesday for the event? Maybe Wigby is onto something.



    Because whenever Monday is a holiday, Apple allows a travel day before the event for the press. It's about the only press-friendly thing Apple does.
  • Reply 20 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post


    you were able to play DVD's on Windows long before there was official support for it. the drive is recognized like any other optical device and the software was PowerDVD or one of the handful of other software DVD players.



    i can buy a blu-ray drive for $58 for my PC now. if QT comes out with blu-ray support a lot of people will be visiting NewEgg



    Blu-ray support doesn?t work that way. AACS has to be supported in the OS itself before any application can possibly play a Blu-ray title.



    BTW, is that a desktop-grade drive that would only fit in Mac Pros or an external drive? It surely isn?t the 9.5mm ultra-slim slot-loading drive needed for most Macs.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post


    I wonder if a Cocoa-based iTunes is on the cards, to coincide with the imminent release of Snow Leopard...



    It seems likely that iTunes 9 would be Cocoa based and 64-bit compatible for at least Snow Leopard. So far it?s not, yet it?s at the core of 2-out-of-3 legs of Apple?s business. Since there is no beta on the developer?s site I wonder if there are also some major changes that they want to keep secret until the event.
Sign In or Register to comment.