Sources: Apple to unveil new iPod lineup on September 9

Comments

• Reply 61 of 103
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 764member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

This just in. The sun rises in the East. Repeat: The sun rises in the East.

Well yes, but only if Steve Jobs says it does.
  • Reply 62 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

There's no way Apple is consciously scheduling a music event on the same day the Beatles' digitally remastered catalog is coming out, unless the Beatles are part of Apple's event.

There are several ways that the Beatles could be a (large) part of the event:

Cocktail is announced and the entire Beatles albums are available in Cocktail format.

The Beatles: Rock Band available on iPod touch (with guitar accessory or a special touch version).

A special edition Beatles iPod classic (yellow?) with the entire collection (only thing that could save the classic.

A video chat with Paul (and maybe Ringo and Ono and Mrs. Harrison), like the Jobs-Madonna one.

These are my guesses in descending order of probability (I guess the date of 9.9.09 nixed the last one due to the push the Beatles will have with media for the launch of their game.
  • Reply 63 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

Teh Steve don't roll like that (thankfully).

Apple doesn't clutter up its product line with needlessly-overlapping models. They did in the past (during the 90s) and learned a hard lesson that it only adds work and confusion for everybody, from Apple's own hardware engineers, to retailers, to developers, to customers.

For good counter-examples, see Creative, Sony, Microsoft, and to a certain extent, Linux.

lol i'll agree that its so easy to decide what i want, however the new alu macbooks and keeping the old white macbook? plus making the 13inch a MBP sooo annoying for image... oooo i have a high class macbook pro... the 13 inch one plus the aluminium ACD, make them all aluminium!!! hope they release a new ipod classic or a good ipod that does stuff the iphone wont do, dont want a touch with a camera or nano (a new nano would be nice though without a camera) plus
  • Reply 64 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

This is Apple Insider, so I think it would be "the horizon based Sun."

Brilliant!
  • Reply 65 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

But there's an app for that.

Yeah, Quadra I know you are holding off on getting your new Zune until 9/9 to see what Apple is offering first!

Kidding!
  • Reply 66 of 103
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by David Stevenson View Post

There are several ways that the Beatles could be a (large) part of the event:

Cocktail is announced and the entire Beatles albums are available in Cocktail format.

Would that be called an- Appletini?
  • Reply 67 of 103
    Quote:

There's no way Apple is consciously scheduling a music event on the same day the Beatles' digitally remastered catalog is coming out, unless the Beatles are part of Apple's event.

Are you trying to tell me, 'Paul McCartney and John Lennon were in the same band at one time?'

Next you will tell me horses sleep standing up! Sheez!
  • Reply 68 of 103
    calguycalguy Posts: 80member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bulk001 View Post

Yes, he is the boss. But, with all of the fog in the Bay Area in the AM...how do we know for sure it rises in the east then? Oh, it must be SJs top floor office so we on the ground level can get the lofty information and of course, he does know Zeus personally, doesn't he?
  • Reply 69 of 103
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    iTunes 9 released on 9-9-09? Don't say "nein", say "da"!
  • Reply 70 of 103
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

I'm gonna go out on a limb and bet it was circa 5 years (+-) of the year your were born or technology is a relatively new hobby.

Oh good grief, I own a freaking Newton. Have since it was new. I was simply wondering how that name crept into this story.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I'm sure Dr. Millmoss is well aware of the Newton and its history, he's just wondering when we decided that the forthcoming tablet would go by that name-- as am I.

Thank you.
  • Reply 71 of 103
    Quote:

Who needs to give the authorization for that? Michael Jackson or Yoko Ono?
  • Reply 72 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bulk001 View Post

You realize that if Steve Jobs said as part of his, one more thing, segment that the sun did rise in the west, some people on this board would repeat it as gospel and flame anyone who suggested otherwise.

• Reply 73 of 103
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

I will bet my left foot that Steve not only gives the keynote, but also has "one more thing" to offer at the end.

John Lennon?
  • Reply 74 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alphajack7 View Post

Who needs to give the authorization for that? Michael Jackson or Yoko Ono?

Jackson has nothing to do with the actual recordings just the publishing rites.

I'd assume the agreement would have to be given by Apple corp., EMI, Paul, Ringo, Yoko, and the Harrison estate
  • Reply 75 of 103
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

I will bet my left foot that Steve not only gives the keynote, but also has "one more thing" to offer at the end.

Heather Mills?
  • Reply 76 of 103
    9.9.9 is the last day in all of our lifetimes that can be represented with three digits.
  • Reply 77 of 103
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 764member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

You realize that if Steve Jobs said as part of his, one more thing, segment that the sun did rise in the west, some people on this board would repeat it as gospel and flame anyone who suggested otherwise.

What are you implying Paul? Why wouldn't it be gospel if Steve said it??? (
  • Reply 78 of 103
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by calguy View Post

Well now, I'm from an earlier gen and still play my Abbey Road on a turntable. Oh, the shock!

But, I am starting to convert the analog to digital while cleaning up the clicks and hisses a little bit. I still want to keep some of them because it makes any of the songs sound so much more nostalgic. I take my time on each album and the fun is that I get to play something I really haven't heard in a long time and when I'm finished, it goes on my iPod. I figure I will be done doing this for all of my albums in the year 2020.

Hell, I've been known to hit the start button on my TEAC A4010S 4 track reel to reel on occasion.

As for the quality of sound, it's REAL hard to beat a fine LP ? in my opinion.

Skip
  • Reply 79 of 103
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jglavin View Post

9.9.9 is the last day in all of our lifetimes that can be represented with three digits.

What happened to the '200' part of the year?
  • Reply 80 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Yeah, very unlikely it will be called a Newton.

Back in (that) day, the idea behind the Newton name was that it was a whole new category of devices (computers were Macs, portables were Newtons). In today's nomenclature, most of the desktop type "regular" computers including laptops, are "Macs" and all the mobile devices are "i-somethings." The only exception is the "iMac" which is of course a desktop.

Any new tablet will almost certainly be an "i-something." The more annoying names making the rounds being "iTablet," and "iPad," (and the less likely but much classier "iSlate".)

Since no one in the USA knows much about history however and since the popular website of the same name that Apple is not affiliated with already exists, "iSlate" will likely not be it either. The more modern "iBook" is still a heavy favourite given that Apple already owns it and all it's associations.

I think iSquint would be best. I think that's taken already too though.