Like Apple, Microsoft rumored to be creating tablet

Comments

• Reply 101 of 141
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Really? You have access to sales figures then that no one else has except at Apple? I doubt it. They have never been released so you can not make that statement. We've been told they were selling 2 or 3 times as were originally but that statment meens nothing unless you have a hard figure. For all intents and purposes you surely can not call it a success. It has been in production now for over 3 years yet is still considered a "hobby"? Most have never even heard of it. They think it's an actual TV whenever its mentioned. Blu-ray on the other hand has been flying off shelves both last and this year and now features many of the Apple TV's exact same features: wireless, youtube, movie rentals, pics, etc. Yet a blu-ray player can now be had for under $200 - check Amazon.

The Apple TV can only be considered a success for Apple in that it requires that you constantly spend more money in Apple's iTunes machine and nowhere else. The design of the menus even puts all you own music , video, movies files at the bottom of the list.

You could say the exact same thing about any jukebox in any bar- "it makes money, it gets updated"...

Dude, this is goofy delusional stuff.

I stopped reading when you got to BluRay discs "flying off the shelves" ....

That's wishful thinking if I ever heard it.
  • Reply 102 of 141
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:

It was extremely overpriced and the sound was mediocre at best- in other words a joke and a failure.

Not true.

One of the few benefits of being as incredibly ancient as I am is that I actually remember stuff as it happened and not as the tech news revisionists and forum pundits re-create it in their minds.

It was pretty much as I laid it out in my first post. I won't bother to repeat myself.
  • Reply 103 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

When Jobs returned to Apple. He slashed and simplified the product lines and slammed the lid on news about products in development. Nothing shipped unless it worked.

MobileMe? \
  • Reply 104 of 141
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:

The Apple TV can only be considered a success for Apple in that it requires that you constantly spend more money in Apple's iTunes machine and nowhere else.

Since it's a device specifically sold for iTunes... yes, it does require iTunes, as everyone who buys one knows And yes, the niche it fills is not huge (but growing).

But it's a success regardless of sales.

Apple NEEDED the AppleTV for a very important reason: they needed content owners to offer movies and TV shows on iTunes. When you have a chicken and egg problem, you may have to create the egg. If it's a "hobby" that at least pays for its own R&D, then that's fantastic--you still get the chicken too, which is what you really wanted.

Content owners were never going to get enthusiastic about iTunes as a video platform if it only fed iPods and computers (especially back then: the days before Hulu, Netflix streaming, and the iPod Touch). And an iPod-to-TV video cable with added remote kit is not a mainstream market solution. Content owners needed to see iTunes deliver to home TVs.

Apple gave them that. The rest is history: iTunes movies and TV shows have taken off. And if nobody BUT the content owners ever cares about AppleTV, it still did its job.

The fact that it remains worth selling years later is the icing on the cake. There's nothing wrong with specialized products that serve the needs/wants of specific small groups. (Thank goodness they exist! I don't want an AppleTV, but I do want lots of other niche things: my DVR, my gaming mouse, my SD card with built-in USB, my Time Capsule that just saved my bacon, etc.)
  • Reply 105 of 141
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

You seem like a die-hard Microsoft fan...

Not in the least...

Given that I own products from every major (and most minor) DAP/PMP manufacturer, including every Apple iPod ever available on the consumer market (save the newest iPod Classic).

I only support outstanding products, not entire companies, as they all tend to be rather inconsistent when taken as a whole.
  • Reply 106 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Clippy:

I see you want to creat a new document. Touch me to create one.

Touch me again.

That was great. Now touch me again.

Touch me again.

Touch me again.

I see you're having trouble. Just keep touching me.

Okay, and now squirt some of those borrowed songs to somebody else with a ... Darn I can't squirt my, uhm I mean microsoft's songs to anybody. Okay then just keep touching me.

Touch me again.
  • Reply 107 of 141
    Okay, looks like we're dealing with a M$ofty here

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Amusing (so called) news given that fully functional Windows-based tablet PCs have been on the market for some 7 years now -

Who here said Apple is going to "invent" tablets? And since when are the current Tablet PCs so wildly popular, since they are "fully functional"?

Quote:

Quite the contrary...

Buy a ZUNE HD now, and rest assured that it will be an integral part of a much lager media-centric ecosystem, that includes integration with the extremely successful X-BOX 360, as well as almost every other media platform they'll release in the foreseeable future.

See How That Works

Quite the contrary...

Buy an iPod Touch now, and rest assured that it ALREADY IS an integral part of a MUCH larger media-centric ecosystem, that includes integration with the MASSIVELY successful iTunes (it's Xbox, not X-box, I-pod genius), yada dada.

Quote:

Really Now...

"Tablet PC refers to a product announced in 2001 by Microsoft, and defined by Microsoft to be a pen-enabled computer conforming to hardware specifications devised by Microsoft"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tablet_PC

I feel confident that Apple will make a good go of the Tablet Personal Computer, but they really are some 8 years late...

Again, Apple didn't invent smartphones, but that did that mean that they were successful and popular and that Apple didn't blow the competition off with the iPhone? Your argument is flawed.

Quote:

That's really a matter of opinion/perspective...

As a former USAF aerospace engineer (now retired), we used Windows-base Tablet PCs almost exclusive in the field, and they proved highly portable, efficient, and well-suited for just about any task.

So, one could easily reason that they/MS absolutely go it 'right' in that respect.

Additionally: One could also argue that it was Apple who 'copied' their entire touch-screen aesthetic from one of the earliest consumer Win-Tablets, the 2003 COMPAQ TC1000.

http://www.intomobile.com/wp-content...paq-tc1000.jpg

So tell me WHY I have never seen a Tablet PC out in the wild?

Is the USAF as bad as NASA nowadays to buy M$ products for such important operations?

Let me analyze that picture.... Its screen occupies most of the front... erm... WOW, APPLE IS SUCH A COPIER!

Quote:

Yes it is to those who are unwilling to see that which is right in front of them...

Quote:

Sure... Whatever you say -

Quote:

Not in the least...

Given that I own products from every major (and most minor) DAP/PMP manufacturer, including every Apple iPod ever available on the consumer market (save the newest iPod Classic).

I only support outstanding products, not entire companies, as they all tend to be rather inconsistent when taken as a whole.

So why are you supporting the :ZUNE HD: ?
  • Reply 108 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

So why are you supporting the :ZUNE HD: ?

Your inability to recognize an outstanding product is a deficiency on your part, and has absolutely nothing to do with the excellence that is the ZUNE HD or any number of other DAP/PMP units on the market.

It's really that simple
  • Reply 109 of 141
    Quote:

Just curious- but who exactly are these tablets marketed for? They're going to be too expensive for students. Will people want/need both a laptop and a tablet? It's looking more and more like a niche market. How many devices do people need? Is it the netbook market that will embrace a tablet @ 3 times the amount? Netbooks are so ingrained now in the public's consiousness as both cheap and efficient. I see them all over NY- all the time. It will be very interesting as to how this get played out.

I'll definitely get one if it has a full self functioning OS- no synching and can run intensive applications like the lowend MacBook can.

well if the tablet can do what people have "speculated" it doing, the tablet would be pretty nice for students. I would rather carry a tablet to school in my back pack than my mac book pro. between my laptop, books and the ridiculous walk from the parking lot to my classes, something that I can take my notes on and it being light would be nice. But that is only if it runs a full OSX. if not then screw it.
  • Reply 110 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jb85 View Post

well if the tablet can do what people have "speculated" it doing, the tablet would be pretty nice for students. I would rather carry a tablet to school in my back pack than my mac book pro. between my laptop, books and the ridiculous walk from the parking lot to my classes, something that I can take my notes on and it being light would be nice. But that is only if it runs a full OSX. if not then screw it.

If, as some rumors suggest, this MacPad/iTablet does run the iPhone OS, then they really needn't even bring it to market.

Any device that is unable to run the less-powerful OSX apps e.g. word processing, basic photo editing, iTunes, et al, is simply unacceptable in a market where one can effectively turn a 300.00 DELL netbook into a NetMac in about 30 minutes.

Another thing Apple need consider is the pricing of the MacPad ( ) , which if priced anywhere north of 500.00 US will be looked upon as being terribly over priced to today's consumer market.
  • Reply 111 of 141
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

If, as some rumors suggest, this MacPad/iTablet does run the iPhone OS, then they really needn't even bring it to market.

Any device that is unable to run the less-powerful OSX apps e.g. word processing, basic photo editing, iTunes, et al, is simply unacceptable in a market where one can effectively turn a 300.00 DELL netbook into a NetMac in about 30 minutes.

Another thing Apple need consider is the pricing of the MacPad ( ) , which if priced anywhere north of 500.00 US will be looked upon as being terribly over priced to today's consumer market.

Because you couldn't have a tablet version of a word processor amirite?
  • Reply 112 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Because you couldn't have a tablet version of a word processor amirite?

Sure... That's It - NOT! \
  • Reply 113 of 141
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

Sure... That's It - NOT! \

I want such and such OSX application, therefore the tablet can't run iPhone OS is a weak argument since the app would be written if the demand was there. Personally, I would expect Apple to port iLife and iWork if the tablet ran some version of iPhone OS. OSX wouldn't provide the same seamless touch experience that a beefed up iPhone OS would. But this is off topic...
  • Reply 114 of 141
    Sounds like they're going to make another go at the UMPC. Heh. So is Apple, for that matter. I wish both companies the best of luck, but I expect both to fail. People just don't want tablet devices above PDA-size.
  • Reply 115 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

I want such and such OSX application, therefore the tablet can't run iPhone OS is a weak argument since the app would be written if the demand was there. Personally, I would expect Apple to port iLife and iWork if the tablet ran some version of iPhone OS. OSX wouldn't provide the same seamless touch experience that a beefed up iPhone OS would. But this is off topic...

Off Topic? Not really...

Are you not aware that the iPhone OS is, in fact, a 'slimmed down' version of OSX based on the same Darwin kernel?

Adding a multitude of additional features (to the iPhone OS) would simply bring it closer to its 'full-featured' parent version anyway.

The bottom line is: With the introduction of (200.00 to 500.00 US) netbooks that are fully capable of running the vast majority of all Windows applications because they actually run a full-fledged version of the Windows operating system (or even OSX if one so desires),

Any Apple product slotting in-between the iPhone/Touch and the MacBook that doesn't reliably run 'most' OSX applications will (potentially) prove quite problematic for Apple to market effectively.
  • Reply 116 of 141
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Sounds like they're going to make another go at the UMPC. Heh. So is Apple, for that matter. I wish both companies the best of luck, but I expect both to fail. People just don't want tablet devices above PDA-size.

I agree--in part. I think even an Apple tablet that pushes in user-centric directions not seen before (just as Apple has done with smartphones) will still be only a niche product. A really cool product I will want, but as an iPhone owner, will not need nor buy. I have a MacBook already.

That's OK. A success within a small but growing niche isn't a bad thing--but it won't revolutionize MOST of our lives by any means. However, as a part of the iPhone family (same OS, some/all of the same apps) it will certainly help the platform move forward. Just like Mac Pros help the Mac market, even if almost nobody choose that model. And better to be the first "good" tablet BEFORE the market demands it (and help CREATE a real market--just as Apple has done with the consumer smartphone market) than be late!

As for Microsoft's attempt... I don't see that faring nearly as well
  • Reply 117 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

As for Microsoft's attempt... I don't see that faring nearly as well

Whoa! How Utterly Shocking -
  • Reply 118 of 141
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,759member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

Microsoft has only made one great piece of hardware. 10 years later, it's still in production.

IntelliMouse® Optical

The ArcMouse is one of the best travel mice on the market. Heck, I use it daily on my home computer. Microsoft does seem to have a knack for Mice, even if they are incapable of making an OS that can use it

Xbox Live is brilliantly executed.

Microsoft isn't incapable of innovation, it's just highly improbable
  • Reply 119 of 141
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,759member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

It took me a while to get over what Trudeau did to the Newton with a few panels, but looking back, it was deserved parody.

No it wasn't. At the time the handwriting recognition actually worked pretty well - especially if you (gasp!) read the directions and spent a little time training it.

The sketching mode on the Newton was awesome too - sketch a circle and it would turn it into a perfect circle. Sketch a box and it would become a straight box. Sketch a line and it would straighten it. Still waiting for something like that on the iPhone \
  • Reply 120 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Enigmafan420 View Post

Has MS had an ORIGINAL IDEA in its existence?

No. Not really.