Mossberg: Windows 7 narrows the gap with Apple's Mac OS X

Comments

• Reply 201 of 465
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Can't both operating systems just get along? They both work well for the crowds. It's like Ford vs. Chevy.

That argument would work if this forum wasn't full of crazy people.
  • Reply 202 of 465
    yuusharoyuusharo Posts: 311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by YipYipYipee View Post

We will simply have different perspectives on what "runs well" on a given vintage PC, as we did not declare what application is being used on the system as a reference (e.g. office vs more graphic intensive applications).

As to "value", I maintain the opinion that Apple is still the better value-for-money proposition, as I failed to mention the "Apple Experience", for me, is much better than with Microsoft and a given PC manufacturer.

Well then you made my argument for me - it all comes down to personal opinion and taste, as well as what is important to you. You value the Apple experience in how all their software integrates together. That works perfectly for you. I prefer to be a bit more open than what Apple typically allows me, so I aim for solutions that will work across many platforms (Windows, Linux and the Mac). Again, that's just my opinion.

If all you need is a stable machine that surfs the web and lets you watch YouTube every so often, a cheap Windows 7 PC is all you need. In regards to the now 'ancient' Dell Dimension 2400, that PC belongs to my mother, who needs are vastly different from my own. If it were my machine, I would definitely buy new hardware as I have a need for it. But for her, as long as the thing boots up in a reasonable amount of time (usually under 1 minute on Windows 7) and doesn't bombard her with error windows or popups, its more than suitable for her needs.

The performance difference between Vista and Windows 7 are most apparent on older hardware. Though *obviously* the operating system won't make the computer itself run any faster, the fact remains that Windows 7 plays much nicer on older equipment than Vista could hope for. That's especially appealing to businesses, who realize the reduced cost of support and increase productivity would more than pay for the upgrade even on older, existing machines.

I'll make this point again, because I feel it is an important one. If I wanted to get my existing workstation that is about 5-6 years old running with all the benefits of Windows 7, I can do so. If, however, I wanted to bring some of the new speed improvements and exchange support for a friends Powerbook G4 found only in Snow Leopard.... well, they're out of luck, even those the laptop is only 4 years old. They'd have to buy a brand new machine, whereas my Windows PC worked just fine.
  • Reply 203 of 465
    "I still give the Mac OS a slight edge because it has a much easier and cheaper upgrade path; more built-in software programs; and far less vulnerability to viruses and other malicious software, which are overwhelmingly built to run on Windows."

He continued: "Now, however, it’s much more of a toss-up between the two rivals.."

How is this a "toss up"? After Pogue got called out for his objectivity since he's also known as a fanboy, Mossberg, like Leo Laporte, is now over compensating by giving W7 glowing ass kissing.
  • Reply 204 of 465
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

WRONG- Apple has not had a dock since 1988 in its OS. No more wasting my time.

OS X didn't originate from Apple. What is so hard to understand about that? It did, however, originate from a company that was lead by Steve Jobs.

You were wrong to begin with, that's all there is to say. End of discussion.
  • Reply 205 of 465
    yuusharoyuusharo Posts: 311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Windows 7 also means no iLife.

But you do get Windows Live Essentials, which is a pretty competent suite. And its free
  • Reply 206 of 465
    Quote:

Apple didn't- NEXTSTEP did.

Cannot you READ?

Apple owns NextSTEP. Apple is Steve Jobs (to a certain extent). Steve Jobs created NextSTEP. Mac OS X is NextSTEP, pretty much. At least when someone corrects me I have the decency to apologize. Your blind arguments are ridiculous.
  • Reply 207 of 465
    Quote:

L-WTF?

Apple didn't- NEXTSTEP did.

Cannot you READ?

No, you inferred that Apple had stolen the idea from Windows, when it was Windows who had stolen the idea from NeXT. That's the truth of it, and you were wrong. Now let it go.
  • Reply 208 of 465
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UbiquitousGeek View Post

OS X didn't originate from Apple. What is so hard to understand about that? It did, however, originate from a company that was lead by Steve Jobs.

I'm talking and have been talking about about APPLE- re read my original post. Who cares about NextStep. Stop trolling for SJ. Stick to the topic.
  • Reply 209 of 465
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by twistedarts View Post

geez, nobody seems to get it. Mac and Win are NOT in competition with each other. Have not been in 20+ years.

I think you're wrong about this. For every person who buys a Mac that's one less copy of Windows Microsoft is going to sell. This is how competition works.
  • Reply 210 of 465
    Quote:

No, you inferred that Apple had stolen the idea from Windows, when it was Windows who had stolen the idea from NeXT. That's the truth of it, and you were wrong. Now let it go.

DId you read MOSSBERG yet?
  • Reply 211 of 465
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,950member
    Quote:

WRONG- Apple has not had a dock since 1988 in its OS. No more wasting my time.

TS is nothing if not amusing. I love it when he makes some wild assertion, is proven wrong, quotes something himself that contradicts his statement, reverses what he claims he said a few times, then engages in reality denial. You can't buy entertainment like this.
  • Reply 212 of 465
    Quote:

Can you Touch on your computer with OSX like you can with W7?

What is with these random arguments? Go get some sleep mate.
  • Reply 213 of 465
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Apple owns NextSTEP. Apple is Steve Jobs (to a certain extent). Steve Jobs created NextSTEP. Mac OS X is NextSTEP, pretty much. At least when someone corrects me I have the decency to apologize. Your blind arguments are ridiculous.

Then answer me this- Which came first in a public OS- Microsoft's taskbar or Apple's Dock?

And give the year of each's debut.

End of story.
  • Reply 214 of 465
    Quote:

no- READ MOSSBERG first before posting idiotic put downs and categorizing it as VISTA-

IT'S NOT VISTA AT ALL.
  • Reply 215 of 465
    This was a great article for Appleinsider - bound to get the fanboys up in arms!

I've been running Windows 7 on my iMac for a while now and I have to say, it's good. It's speedy, doesn't bother me with needless messages and is very stable. In honesty, I've not seen a crash of Windows for years (I use a PC at work), with the exception of a couple of months ago when the memory in my laptop bit the dust, and I'm pretty sure that would take down Mac OS as well!

I was surprised that Windows 7 actually booted quicker on my Mac than OSX did until Snow Leopard came along, and now the normal order has been restored, though not by much.

For all the complaints about the registry, I've had no problems with that since Windows 98.

That said, I do think Mac OS has the edge still, but the question is, would that edge be enough to make me switch? When I switched to Mac in 2005, the difference in the OS did make it worth it, but with the smaller gap, I'm not sure it would be worth the effort.

I do think Apple will figure out a way to pull ahead again, and I wait to see what people do with Grand Central, but Apple need to step up now, since Windows 7 is competition again and competition is always a good thing for us consumers.

As a side note, to wade into the Taskbar/Dock debate, I think you'll find both of them nicked it from Acorn, the British company that morphed into ARM, who had the Icon bar on RISC OS on the Archimedes back in 1987.
  • Reply 216 of 465
    Quote:

As I mentioned in another post, you're both wrong. The "dock" concept first appeared on the Acorn Archimedes in 1987.
  • Reply 217 of 465
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yuusharo View Post

Well then you made my argument for me - it all comes down to personal opinion and taste, as well as what is important to you. You value the Apple experience in how all their software integrates together. That works perfectly for you. I prefer to be a bit more open than what Apple typically allows me, so I aim for solutions that will work across many platforms (Windows, Linux and the Mac). Again, that's just my opinion.

(snip)

I'll make this point again, because I feel it is an important one. If I wanted to get my existing workstation that is about 5-6 years old running with all the benefits of Windows 7, I can do so. If, however, I wanted to bring some of the new speed improvements and exchange support for a friends Powerbook G4 found only in Snow Leopard.... well, they're out of luck, even those the laptop is only 4 years old. They'd have to buy a brand new machine, whereas my Windows PC worked just fine.

Your points are well taken and we simply needed to understand each others context. There. Now if only Congress work as well as we have! I digress.

Still, for those of us who have the knowledge and skills to upgrade from XP to Windows 7, it is a moot point. But, as others have pointed out, your mother's Dell, and her skill-set, would find it extremely difficult to make the upgrade. Whereas, those with Intel based Macs, could go from Panther to Snow Leopard without too much difficulty. Granted, we are talking a narrower range of "vintage" hardware.

-YipYipYipee
  • Reply 218 of 465
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

TS is nothing if not amusing. I love it when he makes some wild assertion, is proven wrong, quotes something himself that contradicts his statement, reverses what he claims he said a few times, then engages in reality denial. You can't buy entertainment like this.

Quote:

This is his modus operandi. He does this all the time. I called him on it in two unrelated threads yesterday. He starts off by bringing up some unrelated topic, then gets proven wrong, then slightly twists what he originally said, then blames you for "not paying attention".

• Reply 219 of 465
    Quote:

Oh that iPod I own where I can't run more than one App at a time ( unless you call listtening to music muiti-tasking)

I was talking about a laptop/ desktop- haven't you READ MOSSBERG?

You have flipped out.
  • Reply 220 of 465
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

This was a great article for Appleinsider - bound to get the fanboys up in arms!

I've been running Windows 7 on my iMac for a while now and I have to say, it's good. It's speedy, doesn't bother me with needless messages and is very stable. In honesty, I've not seen a crash of Windows for years (I use a PC at work), with the exception of a couple of months ago when the memory in my laptop bit the dust, and I'm pretty sure that would take down Mac OS as well!

I was surprised that Windows 7 actually booted quicker on my Mac than OSX did until Snow Leopard came along, and now the normal order has been restored, though not by much.

For all the complaints about the registry, I've had no problems with that since Windows 98.

That said, I do think Mac OS has the edge still, but the question is, would that edge be enough to make me switch? When I switched to Mac in 2005, the difference in the OS did make it worth it, but with the smaller gap, I'm not sure it would be worth the effort.

I do think Apple will figure out a way to pull ahead again, and I wait to see what people do with Grand Central, but Apple need to step up now, since Windows 7 is competition again and competition is always a good thing for us consumers.

As a side note, to wade into the Taskbar/Dock debate, I think you'll find both of them nicked it from Acorn, the British company that morphed into ARM, who had the Icon bar on RISC OS on the Archimedes back in 1987.

Mossberg states it restarts faster on his Lenovo than SL.

Do you find it a copy of Vista or very different?