Microsoft official admits Windows 7 design inspired by Mac OS X

Comments

• Reply 61 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Garish?

It looks like a multiple-clown homicide. Colours all over the place, transparency-glass-hell, like it was designed by Flava Flav on a bender.

Eye-candy is supposed to be subtle and elegant, not Ringling Brothers meets Death Wish 4: The Crackdown.

At least Win7's graphical interface is consistent, unlike SL, which contains myriads of leftover graphical elements from previous versions. Aqua, anyone? Frankly, I find OS X's style to be boring and dull, grey grey and more grey. Yawn. That was so Windows 2000 for me. Using Win7 on my friends' machines, I find the Aero glass to be quite nice, and muted (its semi-frosted I guess you could call it). You must have used the Hotdog Stand theme. A shame.
  • Reply 62 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by likelihood View Post

apparently Microsoft was even more inspired by open-source KDE.

Apple also adopted KDE's KHTML, which got subsequently renamed to WebKit.

People don't even notice that it's KDE:

http://www.zdnet.com.au/insight/soft...9294810,00.htm

Why would they when that fork has been completely removed and WebKit is millions of new lines of code?
  • Reply 63 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

You left out one big missing item.

You have much more flexibility and freedom using Windows. You're not locked into anybody's control. Flash even works. More games- are there any MAC games?

The flip side is more suceptibilty to viruses.

Now where can you get a MAC with Touch control on the screen like Windows has?

Never thought of OSX as being as locked down as the iphone, please clarify.

Oh, I don't think anyone wouldn't buy a mac due to flash, seriously.

Games? Yep, DirectX got us there.

While no Mac is sold with a touch screen, there isn't really any need for it. It's a desktop; Microsoft is trying to be cool and put multi touch where it isn't necessary, which again is what they do all along, solve problems that don't exist.
  • Reply 64 of 229

Quote:

Garish?

It looks like a multiple-clown homicide. Colours all over the place, transparency-glass-hell, like it was designed by Flava Flav on a bender.

Eye-candy is supposed to be subtle and elegant, not Ringling Brothers meets Death Wish 4: The Crackdown.

• Reply 65 of 229
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCno10 View Post

"We've significantly improved the graphical user interface, but it's built on that very stable core Vista technology, which is far more stable than the current Mac platform, for instance."

Honest, but still delusional.

Well what he SHOULD have zero'd in on is the totally pathetic decades old file system that SL ships with when compared to the far more advanced FS that Windows enjoys. Gee, did my anger at Apple pulling the plug on ZFS show too much with that comment?
  • Reply 66 of 229
    Quote:

Garish?

Dude, this is the best thing I have read all day.

Funny cos it's true
  • Reply 67 of 229
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Actually if you read what he was saying he was trying to point out that while Windows 7 has the look of OSX its far more stable. However if you have used Windows 7 you would know it actually doesn't look like OSX at all. It has far more of a Linux look.

.... Ummm a 'Linux Look' you say?!?

What does linux look like when compared with KDE or GNOME or XWINDOWS? I quite curious to hear your reply...
  • Reply 68 of 229
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShindaiLovers View Post

"One of the things that people say an awful lot about the Apple Mac is that the OS is fantastic, that it's very graphical and easy to use," Aldous said. "What we’ve tried to do with Windows 7 -- whether it's traditional format or in a touch format -- is create a Mac look and feel in terms of graphics. We've significantly improved the graphical user interface, but it's built on that very stable core Vista technology, which is far more stable than the current Mac platform, for instance."

He's just giving people what they told him- just like Steve Jobs says people told him the Touch is a gaming device. He's sees the numbers defecting that's all- and he's trying to stop it- can you blame him.

Besides the people have built Windows7- haven't you seen those shiny, happy people commercials?
  • Reply 69 of 229
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

Worry not, SJ is NOT gonna forget that pearl... What a great word of marketing for Apple.

MICROSOFT IS DEAD. AND SO IS DELL.

90% Dead or ALIVE???
  • Reply 70 of 229
    Quote:

Apparently MS thinks gorilla-arm is somehow cool.

Do you want to kill me with laughter?
  • Reply 71 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

90% Dead or ALIVE???

He's not talking about marketshare, but about future vision, quality and mindshare.
  • Reply 72 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Erunno View Post

I've experienced both kernel panics on 10.6 as well as total freezes on Windows 7 so from my subjective point of view they are both equally guilty. Microsoft in fact *does* have the more modern graphic stack with drivers running in user space which allows for recoverable driver crashes, updating without reboot and switching graphic cards without logging out first (which I really expected to make a debut in 10.6 which it didn't to my disappointment).

To be correct. Kernal Panics are rarely caused by the OS on a Mac. Most Kernal Panics are hardware related. Meaning something is broken, unplug in the middle of use or sometimes not found on boot. It's rare to see the KP read back a SW based KP.
  • Reply 73 of 229
    But then Microsoft claims their product is a result of their innovation, and that everything good about it is 100% because of Microsoft.

I wouldn't care about what Microsoft claims, except that too many other people believe and reward them for it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

big deal

• Reply 74 of 229
    MS has become a copy to catch up company. challenge is copiers usually fail as they cant innovate to differentiate.

copy the OSX UI. copy the ipod with the Zune (how many Zune HD's are selling? havent heard much about that.

Copy and steal apple employees and open stores right next to apple?

copy the iphone with windows mobile 6.5 professional for business - er it still uses a stylus...

you can see Balmer screaming about how to build a tablet but they cant yet because they havent seen Apples.

i bet they come out with a MS touch mouse at some point in the future

thing is they cant manage the experience you get with apple. Dell blames all problems on MS and MS blames it on dell.
  • Reply 75 of 229
    We've significantly improved the graphical user interface, but it's built on that very stable core Vista technology, which is far more stable than the current Mac platform, for instance.

• Reply 76 of 229
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    I have 3 Macs and numerous PCs, and I simply don't see the resemblance between the two operating systems:

My Macs are extremely (Apple) austere, flat and somewhat boring, whereas my Win 7 computers show exponentially more visual flare, all while providing much more information/functionality/customization.

Oh Well, they both work well for their given tasks, and that's really what matters.
  • Reply 77 of 229
    Quote:

So then WTH is the point of Windows 7 when you can get the Real Thing with a Mac??

Perhaps the price of the hardware puts people off \

Quote:

We've significantly improved the graphical user interface, but it's built on that very stable core Vista technology, which is far more stable than the current Mac platform, for instance.

I would normally laugh at this point but i've spent the better part of today rescuing a colleagues MacBook running 10.5.4 after a Kernel panic.

While i've experienced bugs/glitches/crashes since OS 7 up to present day SL, my colleague was a Windows/PC convert after the VistaGate scandal and wasn't too impressed.

S**t happens i guess.
  • Reply 78 of 229
    "it's built on that very stable core Vista technology, which is far more stable than the current Mac platform, for instance."

Yes, that very stable core, Vista. Mmm, I do believe it still crashes, is prone to malware attacks, resource hungry, ....

Can he also point out what is unstable in OS X 10.6? I've yet to have a crash!

Phil
  • Reply 79 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

At least Win7's graphical interface is consistent, unlike SL, which contains myriads of leftover graphical elements from previous versions. Aqua, anyone? Frankly, I find OS X's style to be boring and dull, grey grey and more grey. Yawn. That was so Windows 2000 for me. Using Win7 on my friends' machines, I find the Aero glass to be quite nice, and muted (its semi-frosted I guess you could call it). You must have used the Hotdog Stand theme. A shame.

yes, the aero is very nice, if you have at least 4 gb of ram

that's not much battery life for a laptop, a resource hungry and bloated operating system
  • Reply 80 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alangsam View Post

MS has become a copy to catch up company. challenge is copiers usually fail as they cant innovate to differentiate.

copy the OSX UI. copy the ipod with the Zune (how many Zune HD's are selling? havent heard much about that.

Copy and steal apple employees and open stores right next to apple?

copy the iphone with windows mobile 6.5 professional for business - er it still uses a stylus...

you can see Balmer screaming about how to build a tablet but they cant yet because they havent seen Apples.

i bet they come out with a MS touch mouse at some point in the future

thing is they cant manage the experience you get with apple. Dell blames all problems on MS and MS blames it on dell.

they are a criminal organization...all they do is steal, their real business isn't software

if it were, then they'd use their money to write a decent operating system, they've had time since the release of windows 95...instead of spending it on sales