Apple tablet speculation: high-end graphics, several models

Comments

• Reply 21 of 180
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Amplifying the buzz for Apple's long-rumored tablet device, a new report suggests the hardware will include a high-end graphics card to produce a picture with "stunning resolution."

Sounds like it's definitely gonna be made for reading text and comics if it's "stunning resolution".
  • Reply 22 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

I laughed when I read the "jarring" comment.

Same here, I imagined Jobs creeping up behind the Tablet team while they were all sitting around on Facebook.
  • Reply 23 of 180
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roc Ingersol View Post

"Several different models"?

When's the last time Apple debuted a new product in 'several different models'?

Here's a crazy prediction: If Apple introduces a tablet, there will be one. One configuration, one way to get it. There won't be 3G subsidized and unsubsidized. There won't be different screen sizes. There won't be mix-and-match internal components. It will be one proposition.

Variations might show up later, but not at launch.

I'm still not sure if most analysts are knowingly link-baiting with nonsense, or whether they truly are that ignorant of the companies and industries they write about.

This sounds a lot closer to the truth IMO also.

This whole "report" sounds bogus to me. The talk of a "graphics card" is also just silly as is the implication that it might have higher resolution than a MacBook.

I would translate the whole thing to "somebody's seen one, and he said it had a really nice screen." The rest is typical analyst BS.
  • Reply 24 of 180
    richysrichys Posts: 160member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

I think she's full of it. "Stunning resolution" is primarily about pixel density when talking about small devices, and I would say at most the tablet will sport an integrated mobile gpu of some grade. "High end" gpus are brick sized behemoths, and even the HD 4850s in the new iMacs require beefy heatsinks. Good luck stuffing one into a slim 10" tablet. I call BS on her statement.

I suspect that the graphic chip in the tablet will only need to push HD (720 or 1080, maybe) video (H.264, presumably). This is a lot more straightforward than the high end video cards in PCs, that require all the physics engines, shaders, anit-aliasing etc. for 3D graphics.

As long as the iBook (or whatever the tablet is called) can perform similar 3D graphics as the iPhone 3GS, then I think it will be sufficient. There are plenty of low power mobile GPUs that can hardware accelerate H.264 to HD resolution without requiring a huge heat sink.

I think 720 on a 7-8" screen or 1080 on a 10-11" screen would qualify as 'stunnning resolution'. Here's hoping!
  • Reply 25 of 180
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

One analyst, Laura DiDio with ITIC, reportedly provided supposed specifics on the hardware. She said the device will sport a "high-end graphics card" that will offer picture at a "stunning resolution" greater than the iPhone and iPod touch.

Isn't that a given for a device with a much larger screen size? That doesn't spell stunning resolution to me. She gives no hints at what the resolution could actually be and then regurgitates common rumors like a 3G and non 3G version. Anyone could have made these "predictions".
  • Reply 26 of 180
    IF apple is indeed coming out with a "tablet" device next year, then i'm now thinking that the "tablet" may be a device that could be in competition with the current macbook air for better speed and efficiency, compactness and lightness. MAYBE apple is trying to deplete the current macbook air stock, and MAYBE apple is anticipating that people looking for a light productivity/entertainment device will choose the "tablet" over the macbook air. so perhaps this is why apple has not done much with the macbook air since it was introduced–there is a chance that a "tablet" device may be introduced next year.

ps: this is a rumor site after all, so why not such speculations?
  • Reply 27 of 180
    x38x38 Posts: 97member
    Still not sure how such a device would be useful to me. If they would just add a bare-bones Finder application to the iPhone, an adapter to plug in memory sticks to the USB port, and the ability to send the iPhone screen to the external video link in all modes (which Apple already does in their demos) , I think my iPhone would be able to do most of what I can imagine using a tablet for but with the huge advantage of fitting in my pocket.
  • Reply 28 of 180
    Sounds to me like it just might be Tegra 2 inside - an ARMv8 dual core CPU and a GPU that can decode 1080p video and render graphics with a GPU core equivalent to a GF GT220. I blogged a few days ago after that whole Nvidia picture thing, and maybe thats what Nvidia was hinting at (as much as it could hint w/o pissing Apple off).

The Tegra 2 is supposed to have a GPU 2-4 times as powerful as the current Tegra in the same power usage envelope, and the current GPU is a GF-6 generation 30 GFLOP unit. Nvidia also has the capability to provide a daughterboard-based GPU like they did for Audi - so you can put a GF GT220M on the inside and get amazing performance for a tablet (and even CUDA/OpenCL).
  • Reply 29 of 180
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    The iTablet must run Mac OS X applications (full Mac OS X inside - Tablet version). Must be as light and small as possible. Must have video-out and USB 2 ports for Keynote and PowerPoint presentations.
  • Reply 30 of 180
    I'll believe it when I see it. And so far, I see nothing.

Of course, I will never buy one, but who cares. Many other people will waste hard earned cash on the device (and most likely those who have both an Apple laptop and iPhone). If it doesn't have full blown OS X, it truly will be a waste. If it is just the iPod Touch OS, it will be horribly crippled as a device. If it has its own version of OS X that isn't compatible with the iPod Touch OS, then you'll make Devs angry (well, more angry than they are already over the App Store crap.) for having three systems to develop for.

This could be an amazing device, but I fear that it'll be Apple'd up to the point where its just another fancy toy that Apple tells you how to play with (iPod Touch, AppleTV for examples). Kinda like that kid growing up who told you exactly how to play. "No, your car must go this direction!" or "No, your doll can't act like that." etc...

Funny, that mentality has made a business such an empire and a boat load of cash! Who would-a-thunk! Go Apple I suppose. \
  • Reply 31 of 180
    iDon't have a need for a tablet.

iDon't understand why a mass market needs a tablet.

iDon't personally know any Mac user who wants one.

I am curious of the price point though.
  • Reply 32 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

2 million in the first year, what is he smoking.

Maybe it's you who is smoking something
  • Reply 33 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I am curious of the price point though.

Same as the MacBook air when it first came out. $1700.00 bucks. No way this thing will come out at $600. But we'll see.
  • Reply 34 of 180
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

The iTablet must run Mac OS X applications (full Mac OS X inside - Tablet version). Must be as light and small as possible. Must have video-out and USB 2 ports for Keynote and PowerPoint presentations.

I don't see anything there as a must, except for video out, which it will obviously have. Full OSX and USB isn't required for a keynote presentation.
  • Reply 35 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

I don't see anything there as a must, except for video out, which it will obviously have. Full OSX and USB isn't required for a keynote presentation.

"zunx" has been posting that same sentence on every single thread on the tablet since day one. I think perhaps they have some kind of mental issue, not just because of the repetition, but because what they are asking for makes little sense.
  • Reply 36 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

I'll believe it when I see it. And so far, I see nothing.

Of course, I will never buy one, but who cares. Many other people will waste hard earned cash on the device (and most likely those who have both an Apple laptop and iPhone). If it doesn't have full blown OS X, it truly will be a waste. If it is just the iPod Touch OS, it will be horribly crippled as a device. If it has its own version of OS X that isn't compatible with the iPod Touch OS, then you'll make Devs angry (well, more angry than they are already over the App Store crap.) for having three systems to develop for.

This could be an amazing device, but I fear that it'll be Apple'd up to the point where its just another fancy toy that Apple tells you how to play with (iPod Touch, AppleTV for examples). Kinda like that kid growing up who told you exactly how to play. "No, your car must go this direction!" or "No, your doll can't act like that." etc...

Funny, that mentality has made a business such an empire and a boat load of cash! Who would-a-thunk! Go Apple I suppose. \

What's your point camroid?

I always wonder what guys like you and that teckstud i***t are doing in this forum. Apple is in the business to make money and if there's one thing they're doing right, it is just that. But neither one of you seem to understand that. Instead, you keep ranting about being controlled (if not screwed) by Apple. Well, go somewhere else! Please. And let us enjoy the things that Apple does right.
  • Reply 37 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by danielchow View Post

IF apple is indeed coming out with a "tablet" device next year, then i'm now thinking that the "tablet" may be a device that could be in competition with the current macbook air for better speed and efficiency, compactness and lightness. MAYBE apple is trying to deplete the current macbook air stock, and MAYBE apple is anticipating that people looking for a light productivity/entertainment device will choose the "tablet" over the macbook air. so perhaps this is why apple has not done much with the macbook air since it was introduced?there is a chance that a "tablet" device may be introduced next year.

ps: this is a rumor site after all, so why not such speculations?

I would think on the contrary that if they could get the performance people are speculating about into the tablet, that they would replace the guts of the Air with the same stuff.

The tablet is going to be a dodgy proposition for the old folks and the conservatives because it's a new paradigm. The same people that "can't handle" virtual keyboards will be those that don't want a tablet as long as there is a laptop shaped alternative. I don't think Apple will abandon that part of the market overnight and it will take years and years before all the conservative types die off and get used to the new tech.

The Air is a good computer but it's right on the edge in terms of performance. I see them coming out with one three times as powerful and cheaper to boot by means of using the tablet internals inside the Air.
  • Reply 38 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roos24 View Post

What's your point camroid?

I always wonder what guys like you and that teckstud i***t are doing in this forum. Apple is in the business to make money and if there's one thing they're doing right, it is just that. But neither one of you seem to understand that. Instead, you keep ranting about being controlled (if not screwed) by Apple. Well, go somewhere else! Please. And let us enjoy the things that Apple does right.

We are enjoying ourselves too much. This is not allowed!
  • Reply 39 of 180
    Anyone have a link to some of the "analysts" prognostications that were spewed prior to release of the iPhone? It'd be nice to see how wrong they were.
  • Reply 40 of 180
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:

the hardware will include a high-end graphics card to produce a picture with "stunning resolution."

But will it run Crysis 2?

This high end graphics can mean two things: 1. It will be able to run photoshop and afteraffects, maybe even Auto Cad. 2. It will have games!! I can already imagine people duking it out against each other in Red Alert 3 while riding on the train. As for book reader, I personally don't read books at all, so I'm only interested in news papers at best. Hopefully Steve won't disappoint.