Microsoft retail store gets odd viral marketing buzz

Comments

• Reply 21 of 126
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Fat has unfortunately gone viral in this country, too.
  • Reply 22 of 126
    Interesting, my first reaction was "Happy Birthday to You, Woo!"

Whole Foods allows the manager that sets up the stores to do something personal in each location. The Denver Cherry Creek store has a disco ball above the check-out counters. The difference is that they have they good sense not to use it.
  • Reply 23 of 126
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:

Slavin's own blog is full of criticism from around the world, including a French post saying "Viral marketing FAIL: Oh My God. C'est pitiable."

Obviously not since everyone is commenting on it...

Whether the video was supposed to be cringe-worthy or not, as a viral campaign it has worked. It's got everyone talking about Microsoft's new store. Mission accomplished.
  • Reply 24 of 126
    Well, they have plenty of room to dance around, unencumbered by customers.

My Apple Store is almost always too crowded with customers for such antics.
  • Reply 25 of 126
    Yeah, I can feel it. I can feel it building up in the back of my throat. Tastes sour... I don't think it's joy...
  • Reply 26 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daniel001 View Post

Suddenly all the staff who jumped ship from Apple to Microsoft realise their mistake.

And the ones that didn't are laughing their a$$es off!!

And the customers look highly annoyed for the most part...

I would be out of that looney bin in a heart beat.
  • Reply 27 of 126
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    ...involving spontaneous line dancing breaking out in shops???

O

M

G

Just shoot me now!
  • Reply 28 of 126
    Completey Agree. Peopl are talking about MS ads. Now the talk is not favourable in the least. But MS isn't looking to be universally loved. It's looked to not be ignored.

Look at their Win 7 TV campaign. The only bright spot in it is when the "customer" has a flashback and they see themselves as leaner, more beautiful people. I find that funny in a "Family Guy" sort of way.

Overall it's bad marketing that draws attention to itself. At least that's better than all thebad marketing out there.

Maybe MS can get the ShamWow guy to do somethign for them. That woul dbe virally funny.
  • Reply 29 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by R3negade View Post

.... Black Eyed Peace ....

Now, that would be a great name for a band!
  • Reply 30 of 126
    If MS wants to cultivate (pretend, copy) that "fun" and "hip" image . . . this isn't it.

You do that with your products. They haven't seemed to grasp that yet.
  • Reply 31 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Whether the video was supposed to be cringe-worthy or not, as a viral campaign it has worked. It's got everyone talking about Microsoft's new store. Mission accomplished.

Well, NO. There's a theory that there's no such thing as bad publicity, but actually - there really is. And this is it.

If no one had ever heard of Microsoft, then you might say, yeah, this viral thing put them on the map. For better or worse, certainly, but it put them on the map.

But that's not the issue. Everyone already knows what Microsoft is, everyone knows what windows is. This garbage didn't change that. All this campaign did was to perpetuate the growing perception that they are a joke.

Once they were respected - and feared. Now they're a joke. And they are creating that image themselves, with their very own money. "Mission accomplished", indeed.
  • Reply 32 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

Be sure to check out the woman in the white shirt shop-lifting an item at the 2:15 mark.

Take a closer look. The girl is simply a line dance junkie and in her haste to get in-step puts some book or magazine away in her purse.

Move along rubber neckers, now blood or gore here.
  • Reply 33 of 126
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    It truly a desperate times, they all probably has some real job they were laid off from and this was the only job they could get and they would do anything to keep their job even line dance, I would expect that in Texas but not Northern CA.
  • Reply 34 of 126
    Proven again that white people in general can't dance.
  • Reply 35 of 126
    Notice how the longer it goes on the fewer people care. Could this hold true for the Microshaft stores as well?

• Reply 36 of 126
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

Everyone already knows what Microsoft is, everyone knows what windows is. This garbage didn't change that.

Everyone knows who Microsoft is, everyone knows what Windows is... but how many how that Microsoft has started opening its own stores? Not many, I would guess.

Quote:

Once they were respected - and feared. Now they're a joke. And they are creating that image themselves, with their very own money. "Mission accomplished", indeed.

At least they're not using much money. Viral marketing campaigns are very cheap.
  • Reply 37 of 126
    I like the part where he said "I half expected the store to be a bland uninspiring cheap knockoff of an Apple Store, but WOW was I in for a surprise."

Has this guy even BEEN in an Apple store? Even the ceiling looks the same as an Apple store. The benches where merchandise is placed, the minimalistic placement of the computers. Heck - if they didn't actually say it was an MS store - it could easily be mistaken for one (minus the stupid dancers of course).

It is a clear Apple Store rip-off if you ask me.
  • Reply 38 of 126
    This dance routine was cool for the first 30 seconds, but, after that, people start tuning out and become slightly uncomfortable.

It's like dance Nazis--people who are completely and totally convinced that everyone else, like them, loves to dance and makes it their business to drag everyone out onto the dance floor.
  • Reply 39 of 126
    It seems to me with disaster after disaster at Microsoft, that they are purposefully making themselves look ridiculous and trying to run that company into the ground. I mean, how can you make mistake after mistake, before realizing, whoever is in charge here, is a complete retard (Ballmer). This video is just another nail in the coffin for Microsoft. How anyone can still buy and use a Microsoft product is beyond me.
  • Reply 40 of 126
    Pizza Hut, may be. Microsoft store, so wacky. When you have nothing to sell, I guess you make a fool of yourself.

Such a waste! How long did it take them to practice for this crap. May be Microsoft should add a dance studio to their stores.

If I see such a thing at an Apple store, I swear I will never visit that store again.

I feel sorry for these company. Let's see how long they plan this stupid dance to go on.