Sources detail physical design of Apple's upcoming tablet device

Comments

• Reply 101 of 257
    intenseintense Posts: 106member
    I'd like to think that the charger and phone jack are not on the "bottom" part as shown on that rendering. I am very curious to using that tablet, i hope it's very light and comfortable to hold for long hours ... a conventional laptop sits on ones lap so it makes it easy ... this can be questionable on the hands and arms ... time will tell.. i wish i can fast forward to the 27th !
  • Reply 102 of 257
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

.. Personally, I like 'slab'. Reminds me of chocolate.

mmmm.... chocolate

• Reply 103 of 257
    Excellent article guys, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Wednesdayyyyyyy!!!!
  • Reply 104 of 257
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Oh, come on Solipsism, hat eating is what all the cool kids are doing!

Tell you what: if the tablet doesn't extend the iPhone OS modal computing environment as a credible laptop replacement for the majority of users, I'll my and your hat both.

Yes, I'm link-baiting back to a thread I started on a topic I'm interested in, on account of the shamelessness.

I shamelessly posted my earning predictions from over 2 months ago on a thread just yesterday. I see nothing wrong with that. Just try not to pull a muscle when you pat yourself on the back.
  • Reply 105 of 257
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If you an entirely different UI with a completely different set of drivers, varying frameworks and foundations that aren?t needed from another device then it?s not a different flavour OS. By the reckoning that the core is the same then AppleTV OS, Mac OS and iPhone are the same OS because they use Darwin and certain fall under the OS X umbrella. My money is on this being a bulkier OS than iPhone OS and having a distinct name.

PS: I have to assume that with the emergence of the iPhone OS being so lightweight that the next AppleTV OS will be based on it, rather than Mac OS X.

AppleTV was basically a slightly altered Mac OS X 10.4. I'd class it as the same OS.

iPhone OS made significant changes to most frameworks. Not much, but enough. Foundation, for example, was cut down dramatically in size. Many layers of the OS were optimized for mobile usage etc.

The definition of an OS is difficult to pin down. I'm on the fence as to how they will advertise this to developers. Perhaps they will ADD to UIKit additions for tablet-only use. Maybe an additional kit and the tablet also running windowed iPhone apps like widgets.

But there's one thing I'm certain on: if they're going to use a platform, it would be iPhone OS. iPhone OS is not, in itself, limited to the look, feel, access and capabilities it has ATM. That's Apple's choice in how they've developed UIKit. The OS core (and the changes from Desktop OS X) are just as capable as the mac version.

UIKit, however, is currently not up to that same complexity and heft.

Perhaps changes to the UIKit, perhaps adding a new framework. Maybe both. But will it use Desktop OS X? No. Desktop OS X is just the same, plus a tonne of backwards compatibility, flash, and other dependencies that are simply unimportant for a new touch device.

If they'll make a new mobile device, it will be on a foundation of iPhone. Not a foundation of OS X Desktop.
  • Reply 106 of 257
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

A tablet is a tablet, a "convertible tablet" is a laptop that converts into a tablet part time. i.e. - a convertible laptop and not really a tablet at all. These devices are primarily designed as and used as laptops, but they have a capability to mimic a tablet.

That is part of the reason convertible tablets haven't caught on. They are primarily designed as laptops and because the OS and the programs are designed for a keyboard and mouse/trackpad, the tablet functionality falls short of what it could be.

If you want a good tablet, everything (hardware and software) has to be purpose built for a tablet and touch input. That is what some manufacturers have recently started doing (although they often still rely on Windows 7 which was primarily designed for cursor input) and is what Apple is going to do.

Learn from the automobile industry, putting a pickup box on a car does not make it a truck.

• Reply 107 of 257
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You're wrong.

no, you are wrong. as i type, i've layed down my 3G on the table and it doesn't wobble. flat with curved edges, my friend.
  • Reply 108 of 257
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I would like to see a locking mDP port instead of the 8 year old 30-pin Dock Connector port.. That port is big. Yeah, yeah yeah! It?s not small. No, no, no! On the other hand, DisplayPort can push better than USB2.0 speeds maxing out at ~750Mbps.

Okay, maybe not, but if they were going to start to implement a new data/power port standard into their device then I?d think it would be best to do it with a tablet instead of with an iPod or iPhone which already use the well weathered connector.

I would expect that something will have to be done for power. It looks like USB isn't supposed to deliver more than 2.5 watts, a tablet screen of any substance is probably going to need more than that. I don't see anything in DisplayPort that says it can deliver a useful amount of power.
  • Reply 109 of 257
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

no, you are wrong. as i type, i've layed down my 3G on the table and it doesn't wobble. flat with curved edges, my friend.

Sorry, unless they changed the molds, you're probably executing the test poorly. Tap the side edges of the screen, and it will likely wobble.

Humans are bad at telling curve from straight. You can also run a straight edge horizontally across the back, you should see daylight except in the very middle, it should be very apparent.
  • Reply 110 of 257
    lots of "posters" have been talking about how they think Apple devices focus more on aesthetics than practicle design of their devices. Well, i'd have to disagree when it comes to the iphone.

I was one of those that loved the aluminum backed 1.0, but now that i bought the 3G (18 months ago), i really appreciate the plastic (scratch resistant) back that's on it. It's very soft to the touch and the gripping is moderately to very good. Sure it may slip if you have gloves on or slide on your dashboard, but if you hold it for more than a minute, your hand gets a bit warm and the natural chemistry in your skin allows you to have better grip on it. The surface is treated in some way that really works well at preventing scratches (i've heard it's some kind of silicone that's polished).

I've dropped it, had is slide around in my car on hard surfaces and the likes, and it has barely the slightest scratches on it. My biggest issue is the cracking though. The polycarbonate is very thin around the edges and buttons and has developed hair-line cracks. However, the shinny finish on the plastic has worn a bit at the corners. probably from putting it in and out of my pocket constantly to check email and moderate use.

I even have the white version and it hasn't discolored or anything. Actually, i bought the white model because it doesn't show fingerprints at ALL. I think the 3G is a very good improvement from the 1.0. The only other think i really don't like about the design is the chrome rim around the bezel. It shows lots of scratches and just looks like something out of the 70's. I hope they consider the plastic back for the Tablet, minus the chrome.

If you look at the new MacBook (white), my guess is that the tablet is going to look very similar to that. Perhaps it may even have the solid rubber back like the Macbook has too, or at least feet like the MBP's.
  • Reply 111 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Sorry, unless they changed the molds, you're probably executing the test poorly. Tap the side edges of the screen, and it will likely wobble.

Humans are bad at telling curve from straight. You can also run a straight edge horizontally across the back, you should see daylight except in the very middle, it should be very apparent.

correct, it wobbles when you tap the edges on the long sides, but not on the short sides, like at the home button.
  • Reply 112 of 257
    Ladies and Gentlemen...

Hello.

Yes, it is I, the Apple Tapplet.

I look forward to bringing years of joy to millions of citizens around the world!

Steve is a very kind and brilliant man, and I thank him for giving me life --

Alas, most of you have demanded it, but gotten nowhere.

But that's no reason to be left out of what could easily be the most useful, most used, most you-gotta-have-this device, anywhere, at anytime, maybe, in the history of man -- the start of a new decade ushers in the beginning of a new, exciting era of mobility --

me, the Apple Tapplet

I will see you all soon -- on 1.27.2010

With Love,

:-)

Tapplet
  • Reply 113 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

In the past it has usually been the protective case manufacturers that have leaked the form factor of new designs. To date we have not seen any prototypes. This might indicate that the protective cases are incompatible with the possible touch interface on the back. I hope it does include this feature. I never used a protective case anyway. I can live with a few scratches for a less bulky feeling device.

The iPod touch is much slimmer than a phone so bulking it up is no big deal. The real problem for me is how slippery it is. I chose the Griffin Reveal, a polycarbonate case that bills itself as the thinnest on the market, and I really like how it feels in my hand. It's a bit hard to adjust the volume and, of course, the plastic is getting scratches, but I'll buy one for my next touch.
  • Reply 114 of 257
    The glass in the article looks like a iPhone screen. If you scale an iPhone up to 10" with out changing the size of the black borders it looks different than that.
  • Reply 115 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PG4G View Post

I agree Solipsism that a completely new OS is very unlikely.

My recommendation would be that there will be a UI framework distinct for the phone, and the tablet. UIKit currently drives the iPhone's interface. If Apple creates a new version for the tablet, that could work. Then you choose: develop for iPhone or Tablet.

Technically, it's not a new OS. The core will still be iPhone. But the UI will be run by a separate framework to UIKit.

This is my estimation as a developer. It makes the most sense to me.

If it can't do anything more than my iPhone, explain to me- Why Do I Want This?
  • Reply 116 of 257
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

lots of "posters" have been talking about how they think Apple devices focus more on aesthetics than practicle design of their devices. Well, i'd have to disagree when it comes to the iphone.

I was one of those that loved the aluminum backed 1.0, but now that i bought the 3G (18 months ago), i really appreciate the plastic (scratch resistant) back that's on it.

They made it from plastic because it saved them money. The iPhone 2G has a superior case, but the curved design of the 3G is better. It's also worth noting the 2G iPhone is actually slightly narrower across the width of the phone, which in turn makes it easier to hold, despite the superior curved shape of the 3G. The next iPhone may go back to the aluminum casing, perhaps a few colors, but doubtful.
  • Reply 117 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrkoolaid View Post

If it can't do anything more than my iPhone, explain to me- Why Do I Want This?

Because the tablet will be a Mac, despite most people here who disagree with me. Consider you already own a 24" iMac let's say, well for a portable computer rather than a MacBook you might choose the tablet, a.k.a. Mac touch. A 10" aluminum slab of OS X touch magic! The secret to this tablet, besides its innovative UI, is the button on the back that when pressed it pops out a rest that when placed on any flat surface holds this tablet at around 17º, and just as important, when pushed back in to place, that push-stand disappears. It sits so neatly flush with the rear side of Mac touch that it's hard to tell it even exists. So you pop it in when on the bus, the couch or in the bed, and you pop in out when sitting on the train, in a plane, at school or at the kitchen table. You got that?
  • Reply 118 of 257
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Because the tablet will be a Mac, despite most people here who disagree with me. Consider you already own a 24" iMac let's say, well for a portable computer rather than a MacBook you might choose the tablet, a.k.a. Mac touch. A 10" aluminum slab of OS X touch magic!

Why do I have this sinking feeling that you're going to declare whatever style of UI and underpinnings that Apple does use to be "Mac Touch OS", just as you predicted?
  • Reply 119 of 257
    Quote:

They made it from plastic because it saved them money. The iPhone 2G has a superior case, but the curved design of the 3G is better. It's also worth noting the 2G iPhone is actually slightly narrower across the width of the phone, which in turn makes it easier to hold, despite the superior curved shape of the 3G. The next iPhone may go back to the aluminum casing, perhaps a few colors, but doubtful.

I have also read that the primary reason they switched to plastic wasn't to save money, but to get a better signal. If you notice the 2G case has a bit of plastic, where the receiving end is.
  • Reply 120 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Why do I have this sinking feeling that you're going to declare whatever style of UI and underpinnings that Apple does use to be "Mac Touch OS", just as you predicted?

If Apple calls it OS X touch then I predicted that.