Unannounced Core i7 Apple MacBook Pro benchmarks surface

Comments

• Reply 101 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

It's definitely coming this Tuesday (16th)...no doubt about it, considering current promotions by many stores...

What promotions?
  • Reply 102 of 124
    I think everyone one here needs to pick a date of when the new MBP's will be released. Closest Wins, wins "Top Know It All" award...haha

I pick Feb. 23
  • Reply 103 of 124
    March 16th is my guess.
  • Reply 104 of 124
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FoxDavis View Post

I think everyone one here needs to pick a date of when the new MBP's will be released. Closest Wins, wins "Top Know It All" award...haha

I pick Feb. 23

I wish 2/16 but...I'm going to back you on Feb. 23 Fox.
  • Reply 105 of 124
    I vote today.

Later today, I will amend my vote to seven days from now.
  • Reply 106 of 124
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Isomorphic View Post

I vote today.

Usually they have the product in stores that day so if they haven't brought down the stores by now for the change it's not likely to happen.
  • Reply 107 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Isomorphic View Post

I vote today.

Get ready to amend. Damnit Steve finish tightening those screws on my new MBP!
  • Reply 108 of 124
    I thought it would be today, but now my vote is on the 23rd...
  • Reply 109 of 124
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Best Buy updated their system with 3 product listings:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/15/d...entory-system/

One of the commenters said they worked at Best Buy and the product would take about 2 weeks to come in. I'd have expected sooner i.e next week but if Apple are going to use NVidia Optimus, they won't ship until early March.

I was hoping for a jump to either the Radeon 5650 or GTS 250M but the Geforce 300 series with Optimus tech might be better for Apple's desire for long battery life.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_m_series.html

Anything from the 325M and up is better than the 9600M GT. The 350M is probably too much to expect.

I imagine the 3 models will be the current 3 highest end MBPs, which have the 9600M GT. Everything below can get a minor CPU upgrade and like the iMac line stick with the 9400M on the entry level.

CPUs will probably be Core 2 Duo first then Core i5 then Core i7 on the 17" or corei5/i7 options on the last two.
  • Reply 110 of 124
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Might be tomorrow. Whenever there is a Monday holiday (Presidents Day in the US) it seems like they push any updates they are planning to Wednesday. Here's hoping. Just found out last week my new laptop budget was approved and my Applecare is running out this year.
  • Reply 111 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I was hoping for a jump to either the Radeon 5650 or GTS 250M but the Geforce 300 series with Optimus tech might be better for Apple's desire for long battery life.

I think you're right about the battery life concern ... at this point I'm thinking quad-core is out of the picture for the same reason. It seems like the high-end Windows laptops are mostly using the quad i7 Clarksfield, but they all end up with meager battery life as a result. I bet Apple is going to stick with Arrandale across the line. Optimus would be sweet, seems a little early for that but who knows?
  • Reply 112 of 124
    Who is looking to buy what!!! I am looking to buy a 17" with antiglare. Is the 17 to big to really be a portable device for the plane or to carry around with you all over town?

So what is everyone looking to get when the new bugger comes out?
  • Reply 113 of 124
    Quote:

Who is looking to buy what!!! I am looking to buy a 17" with antiglare. Is the 17 to big to really be a portable device for the plane or to carry around with you all over town?

17inch is way too big to be a portable device. I'm still debating between the 13 and 15 inch.
  • Reply 114 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Best Buy updated their system with 3 product listings:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/15/d...entory-system/

One of the commenters said they worked at Best Buy and the product would take about 2 weeks to come in. I'd have expected sooner i.e next week but if Apple are going to use NVidia Optimus, they won't ship until early March.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_m_series.html

Anything from the 325M and up is better than the 9600M GT. The 350M is probably too much to expect.

I imagine the 3 models will be the current 3 highest end MBPs, which have the 9600M GT. Everything below can get a minor CPU upgrade and like the iMac line stick with the 9400M on the entry level.

CPUs will probably be Core 2 Duo first then Core i5 then Core i7 on the 17" or corei5/i7 options on the last two.

I doubt after the refresh there will be any Core 2 Duo systems left in the MB/MBP lines. I think all these machines will use Core i3/i5/i7 Arrandales. The Arrandales run on a new platform with a new chipset, and it makes the most sense from a cost perspective to keep the entire generation of machines in the same platform, which is what Apple has done in the past. So I think Core i3/i5 and no discrete graphics in the MB, and Core i5/i7 with discrete graphics in the 13/15/17inch MBPs.
  • Reply 115 of 124
    Man I bet Apple is super busy with all that is going on. Trying to get the MBP out before the release of the iPad, Gettting the iPad out without any problems, New iPhone update, getting the iMac's fixed and getting the shipped out, oh yeah and Steve's book...hehe
  • Reply 116 of 124
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    Quote:

I'm holding out for a quad-core 17" & blu-ray burner. As for travel, I have no problems using my

17" powerbook on a plane. I tend to book the seat in the back that doesn't have a seat in front of it

for the extra room.
  • Reply 117 of 124
    I heard blu-ray doesn't do very well in a portable device because it has fragile parts or fragile alignment issues? Is that correct?
  • Reply 118 of 124
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,898member
    You know this delay from the expected january release is welcome. I have stuffed a few more dollars under the mattress . . . er I mean saved in the bank. That will just make this purchase a little easier. Might even upgrade some features like faster HD or more RAM.
  • Reply 119 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

You know this delay from the expected january release is welcome. I have stuffed a few more dollars under the mattress . . . er I mean saved in the bank. That will just make this purchase a little easier. Might even upgrade some features like faster HD or more RAM.

WelshDog, I like how you think! I think I will be sticking to what I feel is best for me.... Top of the line baby!!!

Cymru Am Byth
  • Reply 120 of 124
    Geez what does all this Best Buy crap even mean. I am becoming a professional in retail logistics at this point hanging out at MacRumors. Apparently today someone noticed yet another round of new Apple SKUs at a BestBuy in Canada:

http://gizmodo.com/5473615/apple-sku...ok-pros--imacs

I seriously hope they update next Tuesday. This is one of the longest periods they have waited to update a laptop...ever. http://guides.macrumors.com/MacBook_Pro_Buyer's_Guide

It would just be nice to know when they will update. I might have bought last month, or probably December if I knew it would be until March for an update. But this past few weeks and especially now, without knowing, it's always just one or two weeks away, which makes it hard to justify buying a MBP for full price. They should chop 10-15% off the price at least, a month or two before rolling out updates. You'd think the extra sales revenue would make up for the slight profit margin loss, and build more customer good will. Wish I knew the next MBP case dimensions and crap at least so I could get a case etc. Oh well..here's hoping for next Tuesday...