Mac OS X market share up 29%, Leopard still most common

Comments

• Reply 101 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Most troubling of all:

Windows 7 will catch up very quickly and take over any gains that apple has made. Windows 7 is a fine os. Apple's rise is miniscule in the whole scheme of things.

I've been a mac user for 20 years. My daughter and I have been mac fanatics and we do like windows 7. Her MacBook is dying and she is looking at getting a pc. Simply because mac cost too much for web and email.

We do love our iPhones though. They are an amazing value and I type this message on one!

So when apple starts making some cheaper computers and stops being greedy about super high margins, then more people will start buying them. They could get 30% marketshare overnight if they just came out with a laptop that was under $700.
  • Reply 102 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by patrickf View Post

Windows 7 will catch up very quickly and take over any gains that apple has made. Windows 7 is a fine os. .

Sorry. Apple will continue to own the Premium end of the market. Windows 7 has so far had no effect at all on Mac sales. The moment for MS is kinda lost. MS took the lowbrow route and completely cheapened their brand image. No class. And Apple's on track this quarter for another record in Mac sales. MS and the box assemblers are associated with the Bargain Bin. As long as MS doesn't control the entire widget and Apple stays on course, MS will stay locked out of the Premium end.

Apple's rise has meant more for the entire industry than any other tech event over the past decade. Apple leads the industry in innovation, design, customer satisfaction, you name it.

If the consumer has $1000+ to spend, they're likely going in for a Mac. That's today's reality. Blame it on Apple's business model. What wasn't managed well in the 90's has gone Platinum over the past ten years.

Apple is like The Canadian Olympic Team. Might not have the most medals, but they own the most Gold.
  • Reply 103 of 161
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:

... My daughter and I have been mac fanatics and we do like windows 7. Her MacBook is dying and she is looking at getting a pc. Simply because mac cost too much for web and email. ...

I find this kind of hard to believe. I think you are exaggerating here.

If all your daughter wants is "web and email" then the $499 iPad is the cheapest, and yet the most futuristic and cool product available for that.

If she actually needs more than just that, then the iPad is still a very good buy that will probably fill her requirements anyway. Even if it doesn't, the baseline MacBook is still the fastest machine she could buy for one of the lowest prices she could find anywhere (Mac or PC).

The only thing cheaper than a MacBook, is a netbook, but even then, you have to pay 600-800 bucks to get a netbook that will actually be useable and last longer than a month or so. It won't last a fraction of the time the MacBook will, it won't be even a quarter as fast, and it will only save you a couple of hundred up front. Money you will be paying next year when you get her another one, whereas if you buy the MacBook, it will still be around five years from now.

I also think that it makes no sense that you say you've been a Mac user for 20 years, but the *price* is getting you down currently. Macs have always been a bit more expensive than PC's and only recently have they got reasonable. If you were using a Mac 20 years ago, then you were using some of the most expensive computers that were ever made. the price differential used to be about 50% higher, now it's more like 5% or 10% and you think it's too expensive now?

I just don't find anything you are saying her makes much sense.
  • Reply 104 of 161
    Quote:

Windows 7 will catch up very quickly and take over any gains that apple has made. Windows 7 is a fine os. Apple's rise is miniscule in the whole scheme of things.

I've been a mac user for 20 years. My daughter and I have been mac fanatics and we do like windows 7. Her MacBook is dying and she is looking at getting a pc. Simply because mac cost too much for web and email.

We do love our iPhones though. They are an amazing value and I type this message on one!

So when apple starts making some cheaper computers and stops being greedy about super high margins, then more people will start buying them. They could get 30% marketshare overnight if they just came out with a laptop that was under $700.

It all comes down to this: She's your daughter. Get her whatever she likes, what makes her happy. PC or Mac.
  • Reply 105 of 161
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins View Post

LOL, what a biased fanboy. Did you see what your 1st post?

Windows 7 was released just a few months ago. Already surpassing the sorry Mac marketshare

Can you "give it a few quarters"? I guess: No.

However ...

By the end of 2010, it's predicted that more people will be online and accessing the web through mobile devices, rather than through the desktop. And by the time either Snow Leopard or Windows 7 achieves full market penetration, iPhone OS will have already taken over the mobile space. The desktop space is not growing, it's being passed by with a whole new generation of devices. So Microsoft will end up cock of an empty roost.

Microsoft is no longer the leader. Get used to it.

They don't even have any product for the new mobile platform space yet with "Windows Phone 7 Series" not even shipping until the end of 2010. iPhone OS will be on 4.0 by then with a 4 year head start.
  • Reply 106 of 161
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ulfhednar View Post

is that you have no idea what a Mac is. This thing I carry around in my pocket has the soul of a Mac, it runs Mac OSX, and the first words out of my mouth after booting the thing up for the first time were: Holy @&";$ this is a pocket Mac.

yes I know what a Mac is, I own four of them at the moment, but I don't think you do. The Mac is a personal computer, you are provided with the full power of OSX, the iPhone and iPod touch don't run OS X, they run the iPhone OS which is based on OS X technologies but more restricted in what you can do, big difference.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ulfhednar View Post

I'm wondering: do you own an iPhone or iPod Touch?

No, and I don't have either, and I am a lost to see why you think that would make a difference, my son has an iPod touch though.
  • Reply 107 of 161
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

yes I know what a Mac is, I own four of them at the moment, but I don't think you do. the iPhone and iPod touch don't run OS X, they run the iPhone OS which is based on OS X technologies, big difference.

iPod Touch, iPhone, iPad, AppleTV, Macs and Xserves all run OS X. Only Macs run Mac OS X.
  • Reply 108 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I find this kind of hard to believe. I think you are exaggerating here.

If all your daughter wants is "web and email" then the $499 iPad is the cheapest, and yet the most futuristic and cool product available for that.

Available where?
  • Reply 109 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

iPod Touch, iPhone, iPad, AppleTV, Macs and Xserves all run OS X. Only Macs run Mac OS X.

Xserves run Max OS X server don't they??? And Apple refers to the OS on the iPhone and iPod Touch as iPhone OS, not OS X
  • Reply 110 of 161
    Quote:

Xserves run Max OS X server don't they??? And Apple refers to the OS on the iPhone and iPod Touch as iPhone OS, not OS X

It doesn't matter what marketing name you call it, it's still the same foundation OS. Jobs has stated this since 2007 when they introduced the iPhone. They took Mac OS X and made the AppleTV OS form it. They took Mac OS and made iPhone OS from it. The first name appended to it was OS X iPhone. The removing of the 'X' does mean that it's magically not based off of OS X. It's all under the OS X umbrella. It's really hard to tell your FUD agenda is here as it's hard to imagine that anyone could actually be as thick as you act. Why not do even one google search to see that iPhone OS was built from OS X.
  • Reply 111 of 161
    Well the iPad has got a CPU; a GPU; RAM and a hard drive, and it runs on an operating system. In what sense is it not a computer?
  • Reply 112 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allblue View Post

Well the iPad has got a CPU; a GPU; RAM and a hard drive, and it runs on an operating system. In what sense is it not a computer?

That's right. In fact, nowadays the line between "mobile device" and "computer" is being blurred noticeably. Apple leads the way in this movement. Eventually Microsoft and the box-assemblers will catch on to this.

The iPhone and iPod Touch were the first steps in this direction. The iPad is a major leap in this direction. It's the new computing foundation. All the work we do on standard PCs and Macs (as we know them today) will be transitioned gradually to the iPad platform, and ostensibly, the same sort of evolution (which right now seems like a transformation) will happen industry-wide.

Right now, the iPad is perfectly fine as a complementary device. Mostly because we can't quite fit a 1GB videocard into an iPad, etc. But with advances in miniaturization and with apps and games being written for the iPad, the iPad platform will in time function as a replacement for larger computing/game devices. Convergence will succeed. The level of gaming tech we're seeing now in the App Store is nothing compared to what we'll see as the iPad software/hardware ecosystem evolves. The potential of this platform is insane.
  • Reply 113 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

That's right. In fact, nowadays the line between "mobile device" and "computer" is being blurred noticeably. Apple leads the way in this movement. Eventually Microsoft and the box-assemblers will catch on to this.

The iPhone and iPod Touch were the first steps in this direction. The iPad is a major leap in this direction. It's the new computing foundation. All the work we do on standard PCs and Macs (as we know them today) will be transitioned gradually to the iPad platform, and ostensibly, the same sort of evolution (which right now seems like a transformation) will happen industry-wide.

Right now, the iPad is perfectly fine as a complementary device. Mostly because we can't quite fit a 1GB videocard into an iPad, etc. But with advances in miniaturization and with apps and games being written for the iPad, the iPad platform will in time function as a replacement for larger computing/game devices. Convergence will succeed. The level of gaming tech we're seeing now in the App Store is nothing compared to what we'll see as the iPad software/hardware ecosystem evolves. The potential of this platform is insane.

Absolutely. You get it whereas jfanning clearly doesn't. The concept of 'The Computer' i.e. a box on a desk in a room is already outmoded. The migration from that 80s/90s model to the mobile i.e. laptop, has been under way for a decade or more. Now, as the tech allows, the migration from the mobile to the ultra-mobile is here, and as you correctly point out, the iPhone was at the vanguard. The iPad I suspect will become the defining device of this next wave.
  • Reply 114 of 161
    Quote:

It doesn't matter what marketing name you call it, it's still the same foundation OS. Jobs has stated this since 2007 when they introduced the iPhone. They took Mac OS X and made the AppleTV OS form it. They took Mac OS and made iPhone OS from it. The first name appended to it was OS X iPhone. The removing of the 'X' does mean that it's magically not based off of OS X. It's all under the OS X umbrella. It's really hard to tell your FUD agenda is here as it's hard to imagine that anyone could actually be as thick as you act. Why not do even one google search to see that iPhone OS was built from OS X.

foundation is the magic word, based on, not the same.
  • Reply 115 of 161
    Quote:

foundation is the magic word, based on, not the same.

Again you point out what everyone else knows why you try to backpedal your way out of another losing argument. No one stated that Mac OS X was shoehorned into the iPhone or iPad, but they all based on OS X. Of course, you like to get hung up on terms while ignoring the facts. Note, Windows CE is not based on any desktop version of Windows. I'm sure you'll argue differently since both have the term Windows in them.
  • Reply 116 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allblue View Post

Absolutely. You get it whereas jfanning clearly doesn't. The concept of 'The Computer' i.e. a box on a desk in a room is already outmoded. The migration from that 80s/90s model to the mobile i.e. laptop, has been under way for a decade or more. Now, as the tech allows, the migration from the mobile to the ultra-mobile is here, and as you correctly point out, the iPhone was at the vanguard. The iPad I suspect will become the defining device of this next wave.

Where have I said it wasn't a computer, I said the Mac was a personal computer that is all.
  • Reply 117 of 161
    Quote:

Again you point out what everyone else knows why you try to backpedal your way out of another losing argument. No one stated that Mac OS X was shoehorned into the iPhone or iPad, but they all based on OS X. Of course, you like to get hung up on terms while ignoring the facts. Note, Windows CE is not based on any desktop version of Windows. I'm sure you'll argue differently since both have the term Windows in them.

Maybe you should sell a couple of those shares and get some reading lessons with them, you have once again proven you have no reading or comprehension skills, you try trouble understanding simple concepts, either that or you are really one eyed and are blinded by your Apple shares.

The iPhone does not run OS X, it runs the iPhone OS which was based on OS X, that is what I said originally, that is what I am saying now, the only one getting confused by names is you.
  • Reply 118 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Who the heck is Leo Laporte, and is there a reason we should care about him/her?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leo_Laporte

BTW, you don't have to care about him, but I think he's considered a big deal in the Mac community.
  • Reply 119 of 161
    Quote:

Maybe you should sell a couple of those shares and get some reading lessons with them, you have once again proven you have no reading or comprehension skills, you try trouble understanding simple concepts, either that or you are really one eyed and are blinded by your Apple shares.

The iPhone does not run OS X, it runs the iPhone OS which was based on OS X, that is what I said originally, that is what I am saying now, the only one getting confused by names is you.

You try to sarcastic but it just comes off as lame. You have to have a valid point and be a better writer for it to work.

Why you think that Mac equates to 'X' is beyond me. All the devices spoken about are bases on OS X. Apple even referred to the iPhone OS with the 'X' you say can't possibly have been part of the name without also being a Mac. Of course, I am at fault for expecting a troll to do any research so here is proof from one of many places showing that even Apple acknowledged that the Mac OS was the base for creating the iPhone under the OS X umbrella. I even choose a picture so you don't have to strain your brain reading...
    What's that in the background? Could that be OS X iPhone. Bu..bu..but how could that be when you claim that the 'X' can only be associated with Mac. But they've changed it! Surely it couldn't be to make an easier name to market so it must be because they removed all the 'X's from the code.
  • Reply 120 of 161
    Quote:

You try to sarcastic but it just comes off as lame. You have to have a valid point and be a better writer for it to work.

You are a fine one to hassle peoples writing...

Quote:

Why you think that Mac equates to 'X' is beyond me. All the devices spoken about are bases on OS X. Apple even referred to the iPhone OS with the 'X' you say can't possibly have been part of the name without also being a Mac. Of course, I am at fault for expecting a troll to do any research so here is proof from one of many places showing that even Apple acknowledged that the Mac OS was the base for creating the iPhone under the OS X umbrella. I even choose a picture so you don't have to strain your brain reading...
    What's that in the background? Could that be OS X iPhone. Bu..bu..but how could that be when you claim that the 'X' can only be associated with Mac. But they've changed it! Surely it couldn't be to make an easier name to market so it must be because they removed all the 'X's from the code.

Yes, fine Apple originally called it OS X, good for you. If it is OSX, why has Apple not released the source code for it like they did with the Darwin? After all it is OSX.

Where have I stated the X was only associated with the Mac? Once again you lie, you do this ever post you do. How is that holiday going, you know the one you told us all about for a month, claiming you were going away for a month, never happened did it, go you...