Reader: Steve Jobs says no tethering between iPad and iPhone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 335
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Someone should make an app for network sharing via Wi-Fi for the iPhone.

"Share my 3G connection with devices using Wi-Fi"
  • Reply 22 of 335
    souliisoulsouliisoul Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

I'd say your drinking the kool-aid, why would I want to pay an extra 100 PLUS an extra 30 a month when one could utilize an unlimited data plan one pays for?

Lol this just fuels the jailbreak fire to be honest, and is one of the reasons it exists currently (to do what Apple won't let you)

I have to agree with iFail's point on this one, why would I want to spent $100 on iPhone and then additional $30 on iPad. Apple/AT&T need to prove some kind of discount or combined plan offer for existing iPhone users.

I can see a number of questions being asked about AT&T/Apple's loyal to customers in trying to earn a profit by not providing some discount.
  • Reply 23 of 335
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

Someone should make an app for network sharing via Wi-Fi for the iPhone.

"Share my 3G connection with devices using Wi-Fi"

It exists but only via jailbreak since Apple won't approve it for the App Store (obvious reasons, hurts Apples 3G ipad sales and it won't pad carriers pockets with even more money)
  • Reply 24 of 335
    wally007wally007 Posts: 121member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

I have to agree with iFail's point on this one, why would I want to spent $100 on iPhone and then additional $30 on iPad. Apple/AT&T need to prove some kind of discount or combined plan offer for existing iPhone users.

I can see a number of questions being asked about AT&T/Apple's loyal to customers in trying to earn a profit by not providing some discount.

This was expected but unless you're made of money or really stupid , you're going to jailbreak one device and use its data plan to share with other. No way im paying for the same bandwidth twice.
  • Reply 25 of 335
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Steve Jobs FAIL!

Clearly, you FAILED to read.

The consumer has to contact the Carrier, not Steve Jobs. Apple doesn't own the pipes.
  • Reply 26 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wally007 View Post

This was expected but unless you're made of money or really stupid ,

Or honest or able to see other peoples point of view or or simply why the world doesn't just flat out owe you everything you want. Unless you're a grown up, basically.

Personally, what I'd really like for the iPad 3G is to be able to buy data bundles without time limits. So I could buy 10, 20, 50, 100GB, whatever, it goes on my account and I can use it over any time period. It there's a time limit, those who use little data are subsidising those who use a lot.
  • Reply 27 of 335
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    Quote:

I'd say your drinking the kool-aid, why would I want to pay an extra 100 PLUS an extra 30 a month when one could utilize an unlimited data plan one pays for?

Lol this just fuels the jailbreak fire to be honest, and is one of the reasons it exists currently (to do what Apple won't let you)

There are 3-5 teethering apps you can get once jb and I forsee the hackers having a field day with the ipad. At the same time though, the ipad isn't going to run standard osx programs so if you wanted to what, check you email, surf the web, most do that with their iPhone anyway.

It's not like people will be dl torrents. But I could see a day in the park surfing with a jb iPhone as the useage would be about the same anyway. Once the speeds get into the 1-3MB per second, then that's a whole different topic and we are quite a long way from those speeds. People will start cancelling their cable Internet butwe have to get their first.

I just don't see more usage meaning d/l, with an ipad vs an iPhone unless it was running the lite osx.
  • Reply 28 of 335
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

The 3G model does not require a contract. It is a month by month plan.

Still, you have to decide to pay a full month of usage ($30 unlimited usage) even if you just plan to use it a single day. Even if you just like to update the news on the way to work or browse the web on the train, you're down at least $15 every month on top of your phone contract, which genuinely sucks because it's the same OS so likely the same bandwidth usage and you aren't going to be using the phone connection at the same time.

One of the iphone's biggest advantages is the always-on network connection and would have been for the iPad too. Browsing is the biggest feature for people, which is why Google made an OS based on a browser.

It just encourages a decision to choose either the iPhone or an iPad like one poster above has already done. I think most will opt for the iphone.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer

The consumer has to contact the Carrier, not Steve Jobs. Apple doesn't own the pipes.

That makes sense for laptop tethering but the iPad is a big iPhone or iPod without 3G. While browsing, it will be exactly like running an iphone on the same network so there's just no need for two charges if you own both devices.
  • Reply 29 of 335
    rhowarthrhowarth Posts: 144member
    Quote:

It exists but only via jailbreak since Apple won't approve it for the App Store (obvious reasons, hurts Apples 3G ipad sales and it won't pad carriers pockets with even more money)

Apple rejected it for the iPhone years ago, long before the iPad was a twinkle in anyone's eye, so it's nothing to do with hurting 3G iPad sales but everything to do with their agreement with the carriers. Not unreasonably so in my opinion.

Clearly you're going to use a lot more data from a computer than a mobile phone with a tiny screen. Expecting to get tethering for free is like going to an eat all you want buffet then filling up your bags with food to take home with you, and seeing nothing wrong with that because you've paid to eat "as much you want".
  • Reply 30 of 335
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    This is something the wife and I are thinking of. Dump the iPhone get an ipad then get a decent Teo phone plan with net for $50.00 or so. Heck I could probably unlock the iPhone and still use as a hot spot on a different network.

The shame is $30.00 you are forcedto get when there are so many plans out there that are better. Then get the ipad 3G. Dumping the iPhone would basically pay for the ipad in just under 2 years and the phone bill would be so much cheaper.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by erik9999 View Post

This is out of practicality, not anger. Was hoping for iPad tethering, not to be. For that matter iPhone tethering, not to be.

So...

iPhone 3g & 3gs Owner - Love it, motivation for having it: Laptop replacement capable of managing my data however small, entertaining to use.

I am buying the iPad WiFi + 3g. I have been metering my data for the past month while going flat out normal on 3g. Result 250-275MB of data used. Yearly average 255MB a month. Buying the $14.99 250MB data plan for it. Curbing my 3g data use a tad, start using WiFi, I never use it now (battery life). Stop carrying my MacBook everywhere. (Love it too) Will use Skype occasionally but not fooling myself that it is a phone.

Drumroll...

Dump my iPhone. Yes dump it, unless I can remove my $30 data plan. (not gonna happen) So dumping it, turning it into an iPod Touch so to speak and give it to my kids. Lucky kids. Yes I love it and will miss it. I simply cannot afford two data plans. The iPad will be a more suitable laptop replacement for me than the iPhone, my original reason for entry into the smartphone market. Went through Handspring, Palm, then iPhone.

Next. Go to MetroPCS get a $40 Unlimited Talk Text and Internet. Total $40 tax etc incl. Don't know if they suck but it's $40. Only need a phone, who cares how bad it is? Not me.

I will Tweet my experience through the process, follow me on Twitter @erik9999. Again I'm not bad mouthing Apple, they are one of my favorite companies. Since 1991 I have used their products and will continue to. My Message Pad 2100 still works as well as my Powerbook 100.

If I'm wrong, I will turn my iPhone 3gs back on, dump the data plan on the iPad, put it on the kitchen counter and be perfectly happy.

• Reply 31 of 335
    gregalexandergregalexander Posts: 1,400member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

It was expected. Verizon charge additional $40 to turn the Pre Plus into a Wifi hotspot and $30 to tether most smartphone (5GB limit in all cases).

I'm on Vodafone in Australia. I get 500MB of data with my plan, have to spend more if I want more data. I tether legally at no extra charge. My father is on Telstra and for his data component he pays $29/mth for 300MB, and they allow him to tether.

When either of us tether for an extended period, we risk going over our data allowance. My father does it more often than I do. The Telco makes more money from us. Our data usage is about ... 5 times higher if we're tethering than on the iPhone generally.

I see no reason that Vodafone or Telstra would care how their 500MB/300MB is being used. In fact... they clearly don't as they already allow tethering.

I DO see why AT&T wouldn't want to enable unlimited data with tethering!!!

It's a great pity that the iPad can't tether, just like my MBP, to an iPhone or Nokia that has an appropriate data plan.

edit: You just HAVE to seriously consider jailbreaking to turn the iPhone into a wifi hotspot, don't you? The iPad doesn't need to be jailbroken, just the iPhone.

Perhaps verizon should sell a tiny little 3G phone with nothing special except a built-in wifi hotspot, marketed as the ideal companion to a wifi-only iPad
  • Reply 32 of 335
    haruhikoharuhiko Posts: 46member
    booooooooo!!

I'm happily using my jailbroken iPhone with MyWi to tether my 3G connection through Wifi.

My contract here in Hong Kong costs only ~US$57/month over 24-months to get an unlocked iPhone 3GS 16GB for free, unlimited 3G data & tethering, unlimited text, etc.
  • Reply 33 of 335
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    I've got a GB on my Vodafone iPhone plan, if I get an iPad it will be the 3G model and I'l cut down the SIM I have in my prepaid USB modem and shove it in the iPad.

$A100 for 6GB over 6 months should be plenty.

In Australia it is very hard to find open WiFi hotspots.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

I'm on Vodafone in Australia. I get 500MB of data with my plan, have to spend more if I want more data. I tether legally at no extra charge. My father is on Telstra and for his data component he pays $29/mth for 300MB, and they allow him to tether.

When either of us tether for an extended period, we risk going over our data allowance. My father does it more often than I do. The Telco makes more money from us. Our data usage is about ... 5 times higher if we're tethering than on the iPhone generally.

I see no reason that Vodafone or Telstra would care how their 500MB/300MB is being used. In fact... they clearly don't as they already allow tethering.

I DO see why AT&T wouldn't want to enable unlimited data with tethering!!!

It's a great pity that the iPad can't tether, just like my MBP, to an iPhone or Nokia that has an appropriate data plan.

edit: You just HAVE to seriously consider jailbreaking to turn the iPhone into a wifi hotspot, don't you? The iPad doesn't need to be jailbroken, just the iPhone.

Perhaps verizon should sell a tiny little 3G phone with nothing special except a built-in wifi hotspot, marketed as the ideal companion to a wifi-only iPad

• Reply 34 of 335
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

terse |tərs|

adjective ( terser , tersest )

sparing in the use of words; abrupt

I think the problem was not with "terse" but with "worded." How can a one word reply be worded (plural)?

I believe calling it "a terse reply" or "an extremely terse reply" would have satisfied the OP.
  • Reply 35 of 335
    It would be cool it there was a native app like this:

Teether to the iPad via Bluetooth and it is bound to your phone bill. You then choose if you want the $15 or $30 plan. Then all you would do is start the app, 3g connect to iPad, and then just put your iPhone away. So you have 3 choices: wifi iPad, wifi+3g, or use iPhone 3g app.
  • Reply 36 of 335
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    For some reason I find it hilarious that Steve Jobs actually answers email from the public, however short and terse his replies may be.

From my own experience using tethering (jailbroke) on my iphone I do not think that it would be the optimal way to provide internet to the pad. When using the iphone in tethered mode it is the most efficient way to drain the phone battery and turns the phone into a toasty nut warmer. Perhaps the tethering on approved carriers works better? This is one time were I think it might be best to just buy the the pad with the 3g built in and use the pay as you go wireless. I do not want to pay for two data plans but I do think Att-Apple have come up with a very reasonable pricing plan. Hard to believe I put Att and Apple in the same sentence with reasonably priced.
  • Reply 37 of 335
    bjewettbjewett Posts: 83member
    I waited over a year for the iPhone -- for AT&T and Apple to have a tethering plan. I finally punted, gave up on the iPhone and bought a prepaid phone (AT&T) and 3G card.

But the 3G card is prepaid - Virgin Mobile's Broadband2Go - and it now offers the same 5 GB/month price as those big carriers and it is ... prepaid. And if you go over? It just runs out, and you can buy more time/MBs if you want it. And there are lower-MB plans (and time limits, yes - we are still in the US, after all).

I don't work for VM but I can tell you, esp with change this week from 1 GB/30d to 5 GB/30d limits - this works for me. A few months of the year (storm chasing season) I'll want big data plans and the rest I won't, so I save $$$. It is only in cities and on interstates (AT&T or Verizon would be much better coverage, but much more expensive and ... 2yr agreement!) but it works, no problems on a mac. I've done iChat over it.

So do you REALLY wanna keep waiting on AT&T to allow tethering? Is "soon" in this decade??? My wife has an iPhone, loves it, it looks nice but ... no tethering, no purchase for me, especially with these options that are opening up. I know the deals are much better outside of the U.S. but it is improving here. Finally.
  • Reply 38 of 335
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

Steve Jobs to loyal customers:

266 similar posts. Getting boring AH.[/quote]

Please directly don't quote foul language.
  • Reply 39 of 335
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VTrain View Post

How is a one-word reply without an exclamation point "tersely worded"?

There was a point in my life that I did.

Then I got children, and when they too became teenagers they also thought the same thing when I answered, "No."

Now that they are adults, "No," is simply the opposite of "Yes." And things are more hospitable.

I gather that the writer of this article hasn't grown up yet.

And as we say in research, if you don't want to hear the answer, don't ask the question.
  • Reply 40 of 335
    nitronitro Posts: 91member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Clearly, you FAILED to read.

I think you have failed to understand the issue in this instance. Apple makes deals with telcos to capture customers in which both telcos and Apple benefit.

if i pay for something without subsidy then i have the right to use the product which ever way i want. if i need to use a service then i will pay for it. Tethering is a connectivity feature most mobile devices have why should apple limit this feature.

what seems to me is JOBS arrogance is more important than customers needs. Apple is becoming somewhat like Microsoft and it will be a shame if it does.