Apple's iMac to account for 25% of global desktop growth in 2010

Comments

• Reply 41 of 149
    emulatoremulator Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mitchelljd View Post

oh please, you have been drinking Steve Job's Koolaid. you really believe it is a "Bag of Hurt?" you honestly believe that Apple, the greatest company at licensing and clearance of rights could not handle licensing the patents for Blu-Ray??

Just give that idiot a rest. He's as clueless regarding Blu-ray as my rattle snake. These brainwashed fans just do what they are told and enjoy what they are allowed by their precious SJ. 720p DRM videos on a crapple tv.
  • Reply 42 of 149
    iluviluv Posts: 123member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Your wasting your time. I've seen how this discussion unfolds in here, and ultimately nothing will convince anyone here that a PC is in any way a better deal. In fact, they seem to want to out-do one another in their absurd dismissal of PC's in order to come off as a truer Mac die-hard.

That thing was just UGLY!
  • Reply 43 of 149
    azazel-azazel- Posts: 68member
    Quote:

Your wasting your time. I've seen how this discussion unfolds in here, and ultimately nothing will convince anyone here that a PC is in any way a better deal. In fact, they seem to want to out-do one another in their absurd dismissal of PC's in order to come off as a truer Mac die-hard.

You and I know what's up, and we can have a great time with our money.

What brings people like you to a website such as this? I'm just curious, since I don't get it. Obviously you have some issue with how people post here, and the subject matter, so what are you here for, exactly?
  • Reply 44 of 149
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by azazel- View Post

From a licensing perspective, I guess. iLuv was quoting SJ.

Personally, I could care less about Blu-Ray in a portable device. As a storage medium, it's trumped by portable external drives, and I wouldn't want to carry around a bunch of blu-ray discs @ $25 a pop, just so I can get a marginally noticeable image quality improvement on a 15" screen. Seems rather blown out of proportion.

Then again, I actually do crazy things like work on my portables, not carry them around as a glorified media player or fashion accessory.

Yeah, the scenario you describe IS blown out of proportion. Blu ray drives might be for the die-hard nerd who wants to store all the "proof" of aliens he's collected from the internet in the past 10 years, or it might be used by the techy dad who filmed his son's championship soccer game where he scored the winning goal.

Of course a DVD can hold that soccer game vid, but 10 years from now, will everyone think 720 or even 1080 is low res?
  • Reply 45 of 149
    1984... the Macintosh is born and with it... Mac PC Mac PC Mac....

Fast forward to 2010...

Mac PC Mac PC Mac...

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.
  • Reply 46 of 149
    Quote:

What brings people like you to a website such as this? I'm just curious, since I don't get it. Obviously you have some issue with how people post here, and the subject matter, so what are you here for, exactly?

Excuse me? First of all, it doesn't matter AT ALL what brings me here. It's the internet and an open forum, and so long as I maintain a certain level of respect for the members around here, I don't see a problem with me being here.

Second of all, just because my opinion flies right in the face of the majority around here, it doesn't mean I'm not a geek to the core who has an interest in all things Apple. AI is a place I visit a lot, moreso than a place like engadget.

Finally, I have absolutely no issue with how people post here. Post what you want. I've just seen how this discussion goes a few times around here, and I was letting someone know (who shared my point of view) why it will be a waste of time.
  • Reply 47 of 149
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

IRQ is usually a driver issue but can also point to ram issues. This can easily be diagnosed by uninstalling whatever latest drivers were installed in safemode, then reverting to previous drivers or grabbing latest from the internet. If it's a ram issue, running memtest will tell you if a stick has gone bad.

Your NTLDR error happens when the system has a problem finding a solid source to boot from. If it randomly happens, pop in your windows 2000 cd and go into repair mode.

The problems you list here tend not to show their ugly face anymore, however. I have experienced them though, but I can say it's not as much of a headache as you would think.

Try diagnosing a faulty northbridge, then tell me how hard PC's are

NOW you tell me!

• Reply 48 of 149
    Wow..... the trolls are out in force today! They are panicked about something..... their jobs, maybe?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

I was ready to buy a 27" top of the line iMac last year, until I saw it lacked a blu-ray drive.Since then PCs have come down in price so much I can't see myself buying the iMac, even if Apple ever put a modern optical drive in it. Here in the UK I can literally get a Dell with a higher spec for HALF the price. Just nuts.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Another clueless member. Something tells me you haven't the slightest idea what would even cause a BSOD.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MH01 View Post

Viruses, BSOD??? Guess you have not used a PC lately.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

I suspect iLuv is the self-elected anti-troll for Appleinsider; iLuv enjoys stating purely positive views on Apple and its products to undoubtedly counteract those with the purely negative. Thus balance is maintained within the great scheme of things that is the Appleinsider website.

Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by emulator View Post

Just give that idiot a rest. He's as clueless regarding Blu-ray as my rattle snake. These brainwashed fans just do what they are told and enjoy what they are allowed by their precious SJ. 720p DRM videos on a crapple tv.

• Reply 49 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLuv View Post

That thing was just UGLY!

whaaaaat? u crazeh! I like my computers to look like UFO's, with big jagged protruding edges that I can bang my knee on!

jk, but seriously, if it's aesthetics you're after, have a look at the case I use in my living room: Silverstone TJ07 Actually kinda looks a little like a mac pro.
  • Reply 50 of 149
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

No OS X, no sale.

Seems you spec-hounds just don't get it either.

Quadra I totally agree with you! I have my MBP and several Macs in the house along with several high end desktop PCs. The PCs have higher end hardware specs BUT they don't have the Mac operating system.... The same goes for my iPhone as well.... the GUI in Apple products is head and shoulder above the rest of the industry.
  • Reply 51 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

Quadra I totally agree with you! I have my MBP and several Macs in the house along with several high end desktop PCs. The PCs have higher end hardware specs BUT they don't have the Mac operating system.... The same goes for my iPhone as well.... the GUI in Apple products is head and shoulder above the rest of the industry.

Of course, you can always hackintosh it. But then, that's not really a viable solution, and plus, it'll kinda nag me to know that I'm using a "fake" Mac, not to mention that Apple hardware is truly beautiful and I'd miss using and seeing it.

The one guarantee anyone has for the full Mac user experience is to run OS X . . . on a Mac. Apropos, it seems that maintaining hackintoshes are sometimes worse than maintaining a Windows box. Defeats the purpose.
  • Reply 52 of 149
    Quote:

Excuse me? First of all, it doesn't matter AT ALL what brings me here. It's the internet and an open forum, and so long as I maintain a certain level of respect for the members around here, I don't see a problem with me being here.

Second of all, just because my opinion flies right in the face of the majority around here, it doesn't mean I'm not a geek to the core who has an interest in all things Apple. AI is a place I visit a lot, moreso than a place like engadget.

Finally, I have absolutely no issue with how people post here. Post what you want. I've just seen how this discussion goes a few times around here, and I was letting someone know (who shared my point of view) why it will be a waste of time.

By referring to people here as "brainwashed"?

When exactly is that "certain level of respect" going to kick in?

Whatever, I get it. I know PCs have a certain level of value, in the right hands. Great. Super. None of which is in the least comforting to me as I sit getting ready to dig into the 5th PC in two weeks that a friend has brought to me to clean off the stupid "Click here your PC is infected!!!" malware. And I better hurry, because that Farmville addiction sets in quickly...

-edit-

Apologies, I just realized I got you and emulator confused and combined. Sorry, was distracted a bit. I'm sorry.
  • Reply 53 of 149
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

I suspect iLuv is the self-elected anti-troll for Appleinsider;..

Lol! That's funny, I'd been wondering if there had been a rip in the space/time continuum and an anti-teckstud had slipped though! Let's hope they never meet because the result would be catastrophic!

Anyway, re price comparisons. From my perspective I thought that with the new iMac Apple had actually trimmed their margins somewhat. It is a very high-specced machine, particularly with regards to the screen. Very high quality, comparable with the ACD and a big improvement on what had gone before. In fact I think that trimming (trimming note, not slashing) would be a very good strategy for Apple now. The traditionally high margins were probably a necessity when they were struggling, but now they are on the front foot across all sectors so could afford less profit per unit as unit sales continue to climb. Being Apple, this would probably take the form of better specs rather than reduced price, which brings us back to iMac.
  • Reply 54 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Wow..... the trolls are out in force today! They are panicked about something..... their jobs, maybe?

I think maybe you need to re-examine the definition of a troll. In fact, what you just posted could very well be considered trolling. You put a comment out there that was meant to drive an emotional response of any kind from an entire group of people, all while not being in any way on topic of the discussion.
  • Reply 55 of 149
    Quote:

By referring to people here as "brainwashed"?

When exactly is that "certain level of respect" going to kick in?

Whatever, I get it. I know PCs have a certain level of value, in the right hands. Great. Super. None of which is in the least comforting to me as I sit getting ready to dig into the 5th PC in two weeks that a friend has brought to me to clean off the stupid "Click here your PC is infected!!!" malware. And I better hurry, because that Farmville addiction sets in quickly...

Actually, I've never said anything about Apple fans that hasn't been said about PC fans lol. You don't think PC users get called brainwashed around here? cmon man.

Sorry that you're the go-to guy for those kinds of mistakes. I know exactly how that is. "I was just looking for free movies when my computer said I had a virus and needed to download the antivirus software, now I can't do anything without a million popups!"
  • Reply 56 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Of course, you can always hackintosh it. But then, that's not really a viable solution, and plus, it'll kinda nag me to know that I'm using a "fake" Mac, not to mention that Apple hardware is truly beautiful and I'd miss using and seeing it.

The one guarantee anyone has for the full Mac user experience is to run OS X . . . on a Mac. Apropos, it seems that maintaining hackintoshes are sometimes worse than maintaining a Windows box. Defeats the purpose.

Definitely a selling point for Macs is being able to run Windows if you want. The whole "windows vs osx" argument definitely goes to Apple simply because of this.
  • Reply 57 of 149
    Quote:

Actually, I've never said anything about Apple fans that hasn't been said about PC fans lol. You don't think PC users get called brainwashed around here? cmon man.

Sorry that you're the go-to guy for those kinds of mistakes. I know exactly how that is. "I was just looking for free movies when my computer said I had a virus and needed to download the antivirus software, now I can't do anything without a million popups!"

No, I got your comments and the comments of someone else jumbled. Apologies.
  • Reply 58 of 149
    Quote:

Definitely a selling point for Macs is being able to run Windows if you want. The whole "windows vs osx" argument definitely goes to Apple simply because of this.

This is true. I must say, back when I played EVE Online (regularly) the Mac client would only be updated later, as an afterthought almost. So I decided to just play it on Windows for the full experience. Bootcamp came in very handy.

By the way, I recommend EVE Online. It's . . . insane.
  • Reply 59 of 149
    Quote:

No, I got your comments and the comments of someone else jumbled. Apologies.

I'm sure I've thrown the term "brainwashed" out there in different threads in the past. That's what I thought you were referring to. I know I didn't say it here, but it sounded like something I might have said at some point :P
  • Reply 60 of 149
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd051572 View Post

My 4-year old powerbook just blew a logic board. I was considering replacing it with a sexy new macbook until I realized that iPad + iMac is both fiscally and conveniently a better deal. Most of the time I'm on the go I don't really want a full computer, but when I want a full computer, I want a huge screen, lots of space and no heat on my lap.

I have my 27" iMac on a cart so if I want to bring it to different rooms I can and in that way it is portable, but I would never need it in another location besides my house.

this is exactly what I determined last December when the iPad was still a rumor...I was keeping my macbook pro docked/desked 99% of the time and using a netbook the rest of the time. One sold macbook pro and a 27" iMac later and I still have the netbook but will replace with iPad soon and I expect to remote into my iMac from the iPad. I think it'll be the perfect pairing.

and the 27" iMac is impressive - best computer I've bought ever.