Apple to ban film-based screen protectors from company stores

Comments

• Reply 201 of 248
    hucomhucom Posts: 13member
    Does no one see the obvious reason behind this?

Now that they have decided to refurbish iPads instead of actually exchanging the battery, they want as little sticky (and costly to remove) stuff on their devices as possible.
  • Reply 202 of 248
    techstudtechstud Posts: 124member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hucom View Post

does no one see the obvious reason behind this?

Now that they have decided to refurbish ipads instead of actually exchanging the battery, they want as little sticky (and costly to remove) stuff on their devices as possible.

power support screen protectors leave absolutely none of that you state .
  • Reply 203 of 248
    woohoo!woohoo! Posts: 291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Flash is not compatible with touch screens. Even Adobe admits this.

Flash is indeed compatible with touchscreens and Adobe admits it too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZLOndllpUM#

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p-RZ...layer_embedded

Back to topic, every time I see a scratched up iPod Touch or iPhone I quietly chuckle to myself.

I'm sure to get plenty of laughs when I see all the iPads being scratched up.

The reason why these screens are easily scratched even rubbing on plain jeans, is because the glass is CHEAP.

Glass is only has hard as the minerals put into it. My 8 year old Tag watch used everyday and it has no scratches, still shines like the day I got it.
  • Reply 204 of 248
    For the record, it's not all that difficult to scratch an iPod Touch's screen, you just need to stab it with a screwdriver a few times, really hard. <<-- This was my reaction after Apple's techs determined the liquid submersion indicators were red... I maintain I never took it near water of any form or spilled anything on it, the rest of you be damned for doubts that shall inevitably follow.

It was fun.
  • Reply 205 of 248
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Sapphire glass used in expensive watchfaces is harder than normal glass.

To use that glass on an iPhone would be:-

a) extremely expensive, think tens of thousands of dollars

b) impossible as you have to "grow" a crystal of sapphire large enough.

Twenty month old iPhone 3G here, spends most of the day in my pocket with coins and keys, not a single scratch on it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woohoo! View Post

Flash is indeed compatible with touchscreens and Adobe admits it too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZLOndllpUM#

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p-RZ...layer_embedded

Back to topic, every time I see a scratched up iPod Touch or iPhone I quietly chuckle to myself.

I'm sure to get plenty of laughs when I see all the iPads being scratched up.

The reason why these screens are easily scratched even rubbing on plain jeans, is because the glass is CHEAP.

Glass is only has hard as the minerals put into it. My 8 year old Tag watch used everyday and it has no scratches, still shines like the day I got it.

• Reply 206 of 248
    ahh, here we go again, Apple dictating their WAY on everyone. They dictated their terms going thru the apps now they are focusing on screen protectors. What's next folks! maybe they'll put mice and keyboards on the restriction list too. Only Apple's Magic Mouse and keyboard are only allowed to be sold in their stores, or only Apple's Time Machine is allowed and all other external hard drive manufacturers get the kick. It's coming!

I think this is ridiculous, Apple is starting to go overboard with all their rules. But hey, it's their stores and they can do whatever they want. Oh yahh, just like flash.

And people think Google is a threat? or Microsoft? pleeeeeze! I am an Apple fan but I don't care who you are when you start telling me what I can and cannot do. Just goes to show you, when you get too big, you rule like a dictator. Remember the 1984 Apple commercial about big brother getting smashed the sledge hammer. Guess who's the big brother now. Apple is not going to stop, they have a love for control, right down to how many buttons on your mouse.

by the way, I like my screen protectors, not just for protection but for the feel and what about the folks that like the anti-glare ones. Is Apple against anti-glare screens that much? hmmm..... makes you wonder
  • Reply 207 of 248
    gunnergunner Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Your attempt at posting a substantive rebuttal would have been stronger if you had provided any actual evidence. But good effort. Everyone loves lame grammar critiques on a technology website.

As for the substance of your assertion, there are numerous objective tests that prove that iPhone screens don't scratch very easily and don't need a protective covering.

See how easy it is to do that?

But a critique of a poster's spelling is OK, as you did on 3/05/2010:

'Even if I ignore the mis-spelling of "GB"...'

Effing hypocrite.
  • Reply 208 of 248
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nofear1az View Post

ahh, here we go again, Apple dictating their WAY on everyone. They dictated their terms going thru the apps now they are focusing on screen protectors. What's next folks! maybe they'll put mice and keyboards on the restriction list too. Only Apple's Magic Mouse and keyboard are only allowed to be sold in their stores, or only Apple's Time Machine is allowed and all other external hard drive manufacturers get the kick. It's coming!

I think this is ridiculous, Apple is starting to go overboard with all their rules. But hey, it's their stores and they can do whatever they want. Oh yahh, just like flash.

And people think Google is a threat? or Microsoft? pleeeeeze! I am an Apple fan but I don't care who you are when you start telling me what I can and cannot do. Just goes to show you, when you get too big, you rule like a dictator. Remember the 1984 Apple commercial about big brother getting smashed the sledge hammer. Guess who's the big brother now. Apple is not going to stop, they have a love for control, right down to how many buttons on your mouse.

by the way, I like my screen protectors, not just for protection but for the feel and what about the folks that like the anti-glare ones. Is Apple against anti-glare screens that much? hmmm..... makes you wonder

Huh. Not selling something in their store that is readily available elsewhere is:

--Dictating their way on everyone

--Telling you what to do

--Ruling like a dictator

--Being too big

--Being like Big Brother

--Of a piece with selling a particular design of mouse which can be easily replaced by any other brands of mice.

Maybe you just need to lie down for a while.
  • Reply 209 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tomfoolery View Post

I'm with you that there's definitely evidence of something bizarre and paranoid going on here. But I don't think it's on Apple's part. Ahem.

Just giving an Amen to your Ahem (and its implications).

Also, seconding your (and others') reasonable iPad accessory shelf-space speculation.
  • Reply 210 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Huh. Not selling something in their store that is readily available elsewhere is:

--Telling you what to do

--Ruling like a dictator

--Being too big

--Being like Big Brother

--Of a piece with selling a particular design of mouse which can be easily replaced by any other brands of mice.

Isn't that the 2010 techie version of the man's tryin' to keep me down lament?
  • Reply 211 of 248
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CurtisEMayle View Post

Isn't that the 2010 techie version of the man's tryin' to keep me down lament?

• Reply 212 of 248
    artistxartistx Posts: 14member
    These films are just throwaways, happy to see less plastic being produced to go into landfills.
  • Reply 213 of 248
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dvassallo View Post

Same here. I have had all iPhones since launch day of first gen. I have never used a case and never used a protective screen film/cover. I carry my phone lose in my pocket. My iPhone's have always been immaculate and scratch free. I must say though the oleophobic coating added on the 3Gs is phenomenal, make a world of difference.

Me too.

Pocket-iphone, first gen, handled with no particular extra care - just normal use, totally scratch free. Amazing product quality, and still up to date. Can't see why I would need a coating.
  • Reply 214 of 248
    knightlieknightlie Posts: 282member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Who friggin cares about plastic screen protectors sold in Apple Stores?! LOL gimme a break.

YOU care enough to think that the idea has been handed down on Apples tablets of stone and cannot possibly be wrong, and come in here and tell us all about it.

I don't care what they sell at the Apple store, I don't shop there. I do think that to just up and ban them is strange behaviour at best (I also think AIs use of the word "ban" is pretty inappropriate and inflammatory). You and the other disciples, OTOH, think it's a great idea, and anyone who says otherwise is being shouted down with smartarse comebacks (Tomfoolery, I'm looking at you).

Lay off the Kool-aid, Quadra - Apple do stupid things sometimes.

Quote:

Lisa, I'd like to buy your rock.

Sorry, I didn't realise English wasn't your first language.
  • Reply 215 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LuckyMethod View Post

you guys are all insane. My iPhone 2G got scratched the first week, I got a screen protector. My GF's touch has a huge scratch in the front because was kept with keys without a protection.

Also, the oleophobic coating feels sticky when you drag something, the screen protector makes easier.

But again, you're all insane, you can't be THAT much of a Cool Aid drinker for a company that CHARGES you for products. Seriously.

I'm on my second iPhone: the first was a 2G I had for 18 months and now a 3G that I've had for 20 months. My wife has done exactly the same. We've never used a screen protector and neither of us have experienced scratches or blemishes on the displays.

You and your GF must be extremely careless, clumsy or both to have damaged yours like that.
  • Reply 216 of 248
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    I have had 3 iPhones. 2g, 3g and now 3gs. I gave the 2g to my 12 yr old son, then the 3g. As you can imagine it gets a lot rougher use by him than I could ever put mine through. He has used both without any screen protection and only has it in a contour case. There is not one single scratch on the iphone after months of his use. My 3gs is also in a contour case with no screen protection and it has no scratches either.

I make sure that I don't stick my phone in my pocket with anything else as I did this once with a samsung d900 and not only did it scratch the screen but it cracked the lcd. The fact that I have had multiple phones from multiple manufacturers and all of them have ended up with little scratches in the plastic screens goes to show how good a job the iPhone screen does.

Apple are not banning screen protectors, they are just choosing not to stock them in their stores. If you feel that you need the extra protection incase of accidents then there are plenty of places selling screen protectors. No biggie.
  • Reply 217 of 248
    I'm on my third iphone, they have all rattled around in my pockets rubbing against loose change and keys. Apart from a few scratches on the aluminium casing of my original iphone, they have all been really resilient. if you're a clumsy kind of person, prone to dropping your phone then yes you probably need one of those ugly rubber protective coats. But as for the screen, I can't see any need for the protective film, just a waste of money imo.
  • Reply 218 of 248
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

--Telling you what to do

--Ruling like a dictator

--Being too big

--Being like Big Brother

a long while
  • Reply 219 of 248
    richwlrichwl Posts: 30member
    Quote:

Okie doke, I'll give it a shot.

Let us start with two fundamental assumptions. First assumption: Anything that can scratch glass much necessarily be harder than glass. Fair enough?

Second assumption: Mere contact between glass and something harder than glass is insufficient to create a scratch. There must be some minimal amount of pressure applied, along with a force parallel to the surface of the glass. In other words, you have to push the things together and slide. Common sense, yeah?

Now. Imagine that you have a piece of the same optical glass used in iPhone screens, and also something hard enough to scratch it. Since optical glass has a Mohs hardness of six-and-a-half-ish, we're looking for something with a hardness of seven or more. Just to be on the safe side, let's go with tungsten carbide. That's ridiculously hard, with a Mohs rating of 9.

Now apply the tungsten carbide drill bit to the glass. Apply sufficient parallel and perpendicular forces to make a scratch. Write down the values of the parallel and perpendicular force components in your copybook.

Now apply one of these plasticky sheety things to the glass. Apply the drill bit again, using the same force we used before.

What happens? By gosh and by gum, the drill bit went right through the plastic like it wasn't even there. Seems like the plastic did absolutely no good whatsoever. Because, see, an object hard enough to scratch glass, applied with sufficient force to scratch glass, isn't going to be all that impressed by a piece of sellotape.

On the other hand, if we bring the drill bit and the plastic-wrapped glass together with sufficiently small force that it doesn't puncture the plastic, then we're not using nearly enough force to scratch the glass. So the "protection" the plastic provided was, in fact, useless.

That's the logic in a nutshell. Any contact with a sufficiently hard object, applied with enough force to be able to scratch the glass, will destroy the plastic. And any contact that's not sufficiently forceful to destroy the plastic cannot (by virtue of the plastic being softer) scratch the glass. In between, we have a whole set of possible contact scenarios where the plastic is damaged or destroyed but the glass remains unharmed, because glass is harder than plastic.

How's that?

Sorry, but that's untrue. If that were correct, then charcoal briquettes would be just as hard as diamonds, since they're both allotropes of pure carbon.

I think this is the part where I'm supposed to say "duh," but instead I'll just elaborate, 'cause I'm that kind of guy. See, chemical composition does not determine material hardness. That comes down to molecular structure. Diamond is harder than charcoal because it's got a different molecular structure. While you can find particles that can scratch glass ? quartz sand, for example ? that's not the same as saying that everything everywhere can scratch glass.

See, that's what we in the business call ? and I'm sorry to jargon this up ? "wrong." When you rub a softer thing against a harder thing, it's the softer thing that deforms.

You've completely lost me, I'm afraid. Are you talking about throwing a baseball through a window? You know that scratching glass and cracking or shattering it are two entirely different physical processes, yeah?

Perhaps you're right.

Give it a try. Take your house key and a glass from the cupboard. See if you can scratch the glass with your house key. Consider it a refresher course in science, right in your own home.

For those of you who don't want to follow along at home, I'll give the answer away. The kind of glass used to make things like window panes and drinking glasses has a hardness of around five and a half. Brass, which is the metal most keys are made of, has a hardness of around three and a half. You cannot scratch glass with brass. You can scratch that kind of glass with a high-carbon steel knife, which has a hardness that approaches six, but it's very difficult. You're more likely to break the glass or cut yourself if you're not very careful, because of the amount of force required.

Optical glass is harder than household glass. It's very, as the phrase goes, scratch-resistant.

Firstly this forum is really entertaining because people clearly need to show off what they think they know so we'll all be very impressed. The fact that a topic this mundane brings up discussions of science and economics is beyond belief. But the fact is I have an iPhone 3GS. When I first got it, I didn't use a screen protector. Within a week it got scratched on the glass from being in the same pocket as my, wait for it, brass keys! So explain that one for me smart guy. Ever heard of a sharp edge (like the one's found on keys)? Spare me the dime-store physics here. The facts are pretty simple. My screen got scratched by brass keys (and yes I'm sure pressure was applied as well), I now use a screen protector just like I did on my first iPhone 2G, and I haven't scratched the screen since. Coincidence? Maybe. But more likely the plastic film IS actually protecting the screen. As I said earlier, it's not a huge deal to me that Apple decided not to sell the films. All it did was make me go elsewhere to buy something that I'd be willing to bet they mark up pretty handsomely. Somewhere in the neighborhood of about 30-40% I'd bet. But I'm sure they have their own reasons for this so whatever.
  • Reply 220 of 248
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eAi View Post

Incidentally, while out-and-about in the last week, I've seen 2 people using their iPhones with big cracks on the top half of the screen. Both were using the keyboard-half fine though. Strange coincidence - they were hundreds of miles away from each other.

A friend of mine persuaded Apple to replace his iPhone as it was cracked, even though it was out of warranty.

odd but i saw in person

cracked beyond the pale iphones still in use

i felt so sorry for those phones