Apple iPad owners report Wi-Fi connection issues

Comments

• Reply 61 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

Most likely because Apple insists on using aluminum cases for their computers. .....

Yeah, sure. Apple wouldn't be aware of that.

Or perhaps they are aware, but they are doing this just to torment their buyers, who in turn are so unhappy that they dump the product in droves..... oh wait....

Get real.

Add: Saw that masternav beat me to it..... (but I'll leave mine on anyway).
  • Reply 62 of 164
    aldarisaldaris Posts: 16member
    Used mine since Saturday morning, only issue I have had is I had to manually join the network first few times. I have a dead spot in my kitchen which didn't surprise me that I had a weak signal there.

Chances are if it is an issue it is software related since it shares the same communications as the iPhone and the touch (albeit the tablet has N).
  • Reply 63 of 164
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Not contradicting you here, but just wanted to comment that Bang & Olufsen actually claims to test each and every unit that leaves their factory (or at least they used to anyway). However, when they charge $5,000 for a CD changer, you have to ask yourself if it's really worth it.

Absolutely. High priced, low volume sales have that benefit but fall out of CE and into the luxury or premium electronics category. There are at least a couple other products I can think of that do thorough testing. Rolls Royce and Boeing come to mind, the former because it's a luxury item and the latter for safety reasons. That does not mean that there still can't be or won't issues at some point, and history shows there are. Even the smallest component that costs a fraction of a penny can have an issue that could affect the device after a week of use that won't be seen with an initial test.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevejr View Post

can't blame at&t for this one..

There is evidence to suggest that the iPhone was causing unneeded strain on AT&T and other carrier's networks and that Apple is working on an update to resolve their end of the issue. Surely it's not the only issue AT&T was experiencing.
  • Reply 64 of 164
    moosomooso Posts: 25member
    Quote:

Not contradicting you here, but just wanted to comment that Bang & Olufsen actually claims to test each and every unit that leaves their factory (or at least they used to anyway). However, when they charge $5,000 for a CD changer, you have to ask yourself if it's really worth it.

I think people are missing the point. I believe what is being said is that Apple can't test every iPad with every router/wifi setup out there. There are too many variables. They can't test the iPad you bought, in your house, with your router, etc.

Of course each iPad goes through a QA test before being boxed up. That doesn't mean you won't have a problem with your router because of interference from your cordless phone or something. It is impossible to check every variable.
  • Reply 65 of 164
    kenckenc Posts: 195member
    Doesn't sound like a major hardware issue to me, but more likely software. According to iFixit's teardowns, the antenna is the same one in the iMacs. The Broadcom wifi chipset is the same as the one in the 3rd generation iPod touch. So, the components are tried and true. Perhaps, there's a loose wire, but more likely it's a software fix.

The only other thing I'd point out is that N routers needed to be configured carefully. Some have dual band, some don't, etc.
  • Reply 66 of 164
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    If you buy a cuting edge product you are going to get defects like this. What amazes me is the Apple Fanboys who believe Apple is somehow immune to the laws of Product lifecycle/introduction

You mean you expect it to work flawlessly? Interesting - You really are leading a delluded life?

I own Apple stock which I just sold some of at 237, I will buy some back again in a few weeks once the price has dropped to 200's again. I hope to see more and more reports like this one as the early adopters report in so the share price can drop back to a buy back point and once the "reality distortion field" has dissipated some what. btw I have made enough on Apple stock on the last uptick from 193 -> 237 to pay for 5 Ipad's.

Laughing all the way to the Bank, I love Steve Jobs - he is the proverbial hustler/salesman and you folks lap it up hook line and sinker, thank you for making me more money - I love you all
  • Reply 67 of 164
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mooso View Post

I think people are missing the point. I believe what is being said is that Apple can't test every iPad with every router/wifi setup out there. There are too many variables. They can't test the iPad you bought, in your house, with your router, etc.

Of course each iPad goes through a QA test before being boxed up. That doesn't mean you won't have a problem with your router because of interference from your cordless phone or something. It is impossible to check every variable.

Oh, I agree with you completely. I was just trying to comment that testing every single unit before it leaves the factory isn't the best solution either. As is the case with B&O, among other things, the testing adds to making the product prohibitively expensive for most consumers and as Solipsism pointed out, places the device/item into an entirely different product category. But even then, you still have your problems with the Rolls Royces and B&Os of the world.
  • Reply 68 of 164
    Quote:

I think people are missing the point. I believe what is being said is that Apple can't test every iPad with every router/wifi setup out there...

Er, did you miss the part where it said including Apple's own routers???
  • Reply 69 of 164
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

Er, did you miss the part where it said including Apple's own routers???

Ok, so Apple presumably tested it with their Airport Extreme base station. That's still not the same as "every router/wifi setup" out there.
  • Reply 70 of 164
    naboozlenaboozle Posts: 213member
    Quote:

True enough. But there seem to be certain areas in which Apple has more than its share of "problems" over the years. One of those is "wake from sleep" behavior. Another seems to be WiFi. Sure, there are lots of variables, and sometimes Apple's implementation may be more technically correct than, say, someones 2002 LinkSys router. Which is little comfort to the person with 8 other devices connecting flawlessly and an iPad that acts like a fish out of water. Get thy router a firmware update... Fun!

Bottom line is the actual percentage of users having problems. If it is significant, no doubt a software update will arrive quickly. If it's a tiny minority, maybe not. Personally, I re-enable Delayed_Ack on my home Macs every once in a while to see if the niggling conflict with Nagle's Algorithm during file sharing has been fixed. Some day...
  • Reply 71 of 164
    ha all you new scrubs, that's why you wait a few months. the real testers are the early adopters so next time wait a few weeks before going out and buying a new mac
  • Reply 72 of 164
    I bought the 16GB iPad and it found my Apple Extreme right away.
  • Reply 73 of 164
    Quote:

Ok, so Apple presumably tested it with their Airport Extreme base station. That's still not the same as "every router/wifi setup" out there.

Apparently you haven't had enough coffee today......they presumably tested it with their Airport Extreme base stations, and yet some people having problems are using those presumably tested routers.
  • Reply 74 of 164
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member
    I have noticed that in one particular room the signal will go from weak to strong randomly, but so far have not seen an impact on internet performance.

I've also used the device at work (where the wofi signal is terrible in my office) at Pret a Manger and in Starbucks, with no issues.
  • Reply 75 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

Most likely because Apple insists on using aluminum cases for their computers. Think about how silly it is that they keep putting a Faraday cage around their WiFi antennas. Yes, the Macs/iPads look good, but form should follow function, Mr. Ive.

hurry up and submit your resume to apple, i'm sure they'll consider your clever ideas, and will change all of their products
  • Reply 76 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

If you buy a cuting edge product you are going to get defects like this. What amazes me is the Apple Fanboys who believe Apple is somehow immune to the laws of Product lifecycle/introduction

You mean you expect it to work flawlessly? Interesting - You really are leading a delluded life?

I own Apple stock which I just sold some of at 237, I will buy some back again in a few weeks once the price has dropped to 200's again. I hope to see more and more reports like this one as the early adopters report in so the share price can drop back to a buy back point and once the "reality distortion field" has dissipated some what. btw I have made enough on Apple stock on the last uptick from 193 -> 237 to pay for 5 Ipad's.

Laughing all the way to the Bank, I love Steve Jobs - he is the proverbial hustler/salesman and you folks lap it up hook line and sinker, thank you for making me more money - I love you all

your comment is very interesting! don't get run over by a car on your way to the bank

did you buy an ipad and get any wifi issues?
  • Reply 77 of 164
    Quote:

Spot on. I live in a renovated but still structurally old (100 years or so) Finnish apartment building. The walls are so thick and the apartment so large that I had to double my wifi capacity to get coverage in the back part of my apartment. I have one Time Capsule extending to an Airport Extreme all running N (TC is dual band with one band on G for iPhone and other non-N stuff), and two Airport Expresses but set on N. My Macs can now just grab any network it chooses and I have not problems streaming or with connectivity issues.
  • Reply 78 of 164
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,109member
    No problems. Mine showed up Saturday morning with 97% charge. First thing I did was set the wifi to my local home network on an Apple Extreme N. I locked on instantly. Played with it all day Saturday and much of Sunday. Rock solid all over my house.

Only issue that it requires the charger to charge the battery - connection through my unpowered hub on my iMac isn't providing enough juice. Might get a powered USB hub to solve that issue.

All I really need is an iChat client. The AIM iPad app isn't exactly what I expect.

It is a fantastic device. I'm thrilled.
  • Reply 79 of 164
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    Sheesh! Reading some of the comments here! As far as I'm concerned it's a minor miracle that any of these things work at all. Push the button and there you go, Star Trek at your fingertips. When you consider the incredible complexity of these devices that we regard so casually. Hundreds, even thousands of tiny components, all with minimal margins of tolerance, all having to work perfectly together, all the time. Then there is the software, where a few lines of badly written code amongst millions can cause some completely unforeseeable problem to arise weeks later. The companies doing this stuff are working in the outer reaches of what is technologically possible, pioneers really, slowly pushing the boundaries of what is possible further forward by their efforts. To expect a 0% glitch rate is completely unrealistic out here on the frontier, and it seems to me that Apple has a pretty good record in this regard, with a low failure rate and generally speaking a reasonable approach to making amends when they do. I don't think it is realistic to expect more than that.

Think about the effort, cost and sheer brain power it takes to get a Shuttle into orbit. Every component relentlessly tested, every foreseeable scenario factored in, yet it was a simple rubber sealant ring that caused the Challenger to fail so tragically. Some progress can only be achieved on the back of learnt mistakes, that's just how it is.
  • Reply 80 of 164
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freddych View Post

Was trying to play pocket legends on my iPad the other day and was getting this problem. Ping was fluctuating between 200 and 9000 wildly. Thought it was the server but the other players in my game didn't have any problems.

Hasn't Apple always had trouble with their airport? I hope this is something they can fix via software update but their Airport track record makes me think Rev 2.

With my MacBook Pro if I don't use it for a while, sometimes I will have to turn off Airport and turn it back on in order for it to work.

Another strange bug I've seen is I have some high end FireWire audio devivces. If I use a KVR switch and switch to micrsoft vista, it works fine ( for my PC only audio software or plug

ins, I have to log out of osx and wait a few minutes, then log back in. Sometimes it doesn't work and I have to reboot. I would have thought it would have been the other way around, but no, Vista and Win 7 always work. OSX always needs to have the user log off or reboot. Strange.

I'm not getting mine until at least a few months or maybe more as you know rev 2 will have more. Maybe.