HTC countersues Apple, claims infringement of five patents

Comments

• Reply 21 of 104
    Flash on mobile devices beats any HTML5 crud you'll have to wait for 5 years to even see

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y7XJI4NN7k
  • Reply 22 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

competition and innovation?

more like...apple's ideas that we're trying to catch up with

cannot wait to see the android tablet

Don't forget the WebOS tablet by HP
  • Reply 23 of 104
    asianbobasianbob Posts: 797member
    HTC posted a video of its history on YouTube. Can't imagine this is anything less than a white glove slap across Apple's face in disguise...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yai2u3nVIN4
  • Reply 24 of 104
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,467member
    Who let the trolls out... who who who
  • Reply 25 of 104
    mudpudmudpud Posts: 38member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

cannot wait to see the android tablet

Why are you afraid of CHOICE? YOU may NOT like the Android tablet, but guess what - we share the planet with ~7billion others. Nobody's forcing you to buy the tablet. Some people like their tablets to have a USB port and a camera. And - they would like to surf the web with their tablet - something that is not possible with the iPad. Like it or not, Flash is on 90% of websites these days. And I don't want to have to go to a special version of each website I visit. That's ridiculous!
  • Reply 26 of 104
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

And now the whole system is tied up...

I foresee a settlement coming out of all of this and then it'll be business as usual.

Exactly. Everybody will posture, pontificate, bloviate, spin, point fingers, play the victim...and then sign cross licensing agreements to make it all go away. Everybody has patents that the other guy is probably violating. I would be surprised to see anyone (in this entire dog and pony show (Apple, HTC, Nokia, Nintendo, Google, Microsoft, et al)) win any advantage in court.
  • Reply 27 of 104
    mudpudmudpud Posts: 38member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

"As the innovator of the original Windows Mobile PocketPC Phone Edition in 2002 and the first Android smartphone in 2008, HTC believes the industry should be driven by healthy competition and innovation that offer consumers the best, most accessible mobile experiences possible,"

I had no idea HTC wrote that piece of garbage WinMo Phone Edition. Android of 2008 isn't much better. What made Android competitive was its use, starting in December 2009, of multitouch on a capacitive display--an Apple patented invention that Apple filed for in May 2004.

IANAL, but there's no legal requirement to sue immediately.

HTC had to expect some sort of involvement in a lawsuit after the multitouch upgrade was released in December. Perhaps they thought Google would be the direct target. Perhaps Google will be yet.

Multitouch is a patent? Puuuuuuuhlese. While multitouch was patented for some reason, God knows why, that means that Palm could go after Apple for half of their products. I love the fact that the iPhone keyboard is a patent - the fact that the letters enlarge when you press each one. Apple should go ahead and patent the right for a touchscreen cell phone of any kind. Even better, they should patent the internet...they would if they could.

DROID INCREDIBLE
  • Reply 29 of 104
    phasorncphasornc Posts: 46member
    These are all ridiculous lawsuits. No one is making an exact copy of anyone elses phone, and all the cross-competition just makes all phones better. All these lawsuits do is divert money from R&D into legal and potential jack up prices for consumer and slow down new features from getting into phone. All those those patent troll companies in East Texas are bad enough but Apple, Microsoft, Nokia and HTC need to leave eachother alone and just focus on outdoing eachother with better features and better designs.
  • Reply 30 of 104
    phasorncphasornc Posts: 46member

Absolutely ridiculous! HTC patented a flow-chart? I wonder who has the patent for flick switch -> light goes off . . . flick switch -> light goes on
  • Reply 31 of 104
    ezduzitezduzit Posts: 158member
    who will win these lawsuits is moot. what is not questionable is that the taiwanese will get a lesson in juris prudence when they get into the usa court system, and that goes for the rest of the litigators.

apple has the best defense , by far. $40 billion in the bank!!
  • Reply 32 of 104
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Taiwanese smartphone company HTC has responded to Apple's patent suit with a lawsuit of its own, accusing the iPhone maker of violating five patents.

What goes around comes around.
  • Reply 33 of 104
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by popnfresh View Post

umm... it has nothing to do with the number of patents and everything to do with how important the patents are and how strong a case the plaintiff has. we don't know the answer yet on either count.

HTC? Innovation?

Oh, wait. They were serious?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffreytgilbert View Post

Flash on mobile devices beats any HTML5 crud you'll have to wait for 5 years to even see

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y7XJI4NN7k

Is it Backwards Day already?

As it is, there is not currently ANY mobile device that run a full version of Flash. None.

As for html, people have been using html on mobile devices since the beginning. html 5 simply adds a few more commands.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mudpud View Post

Multitouch is a patent? Puuuuuuuhlese. While multitouch was patented for some reason, God knows why, that means that Palm could go after Apple for half of their products. I love the fact that the iPhone keyboard is a patent - the fact that the letters enlarge when you press each one. Apple should go ahead and patent the right for a touchscreen cell phone of any kind. Even better, they should patent the internet...they would if they could.

I really wish people would make at least a modest effort to become educated on a subject before subjecting the world to their ignorance.

Apple didn't patent multitouch. Rather, the patents referred to as 'multitouch patents' cover very specific implementations - which is a legitimate use of the patent system.
  • Reply 34 of 104
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

As it is, there is not currently ANY mobile device that run a full version of Flash. None.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/11/a...nexus-one-vide

Android 2.2 in a week. And Flash 10.1 in June.

Currently? No. In a month? Completely different story.
  • Reply 35 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by phasornc View Post

Absolutely ridiculous! HTC patented a flow-chart? I wonder who has the patent for flick switch -> light goes off . . . flick switch -> light goes on

I hope you're being funny.

If not, you do realize that the flow chart just describes a process. And Apple does use flow charts to describe processes in their own patents.
  • Reply 36 of 104
    asianbobasianbob Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

Damn, you beat me to it!

I would argue that the Nexus One does qualify as a mobile device that runs Flash 10.1. Froyo isn't released to the public yet, but the videos do show Flash running (as far as I can tell) perfectly fine. Games and videos.

jragosta, just give it up already.

Flash is coming to Android. It works. We'll be able to experience the good and the bad of Flash on the internet, but at least we have the choice. I'm sure there's going to be an option in the browser that allows us to disable loading of Flash objects.
  • Reply 37 of 104
    Engadget's Nilay Patel breaks it down:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/12/h...pple-examined/
  • Reply 38 of 104
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

Damn, you beat me to it!

I would argue that the Nexus One does qualify as a mobile device that runs Flash 10.1. Froyo isn't released to the public yet, but the videos do show Flash running (as far as I can tell) perfectly fine. Games and videos.

jragosta, just give it up already.

Flash is coming to Android. It works. We'll be able to experience the good and the bad of Flash on the internet, but at least we have the choice. I'm sure there's going to be an option in the browser that allows us to disable loading of Flash objects.

So we have TWO people who don't know the difference between a beta and a released product? I'm not surprised - as I said before - you Adobe shills are even worse than the Microsoft shills.

Even if Adobe does release 10.1 sometime this year, something like 1% of smart phones will have enough CPU power to handle it. I'm having a hard time understanding how that equates to 'Adobe was right and Flash is available for all mobile users" which is the BS that you shills have been spewing.
  • Reply 39 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mudpud View Post

Why are you afraid of CHOICE? YOU may NOT like the Android tablet, but guess what - we share the planet with ~7billion others. Nobody's forcing you to buy the tablet. Some people like their tablets to have a USB port and a camera. And - they would like to surf the web with their tablet - something that is not possible with the iPad. Like it or not, Flash is on 90% of websites these days. And I don't want to have to go to a special version of each website I visit. That's ridiculous!

hmm, no

i'm not afraid of choice

but don't you agree that it would be more interesting if all competing tablets were different instead of the ipad against the ipad wannabees?
  • Reply 40 of 104
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

So we have TWO people who don't know the difference between a beta and a released product? I'm not surprised - as I said before - you Adobe shills are even worse than the Microsoft shills.

These two are also Android shills if you haven't noticed.