Apple announces first-day iPhone 4 preorders top 600,000

Comments

• Reply 61 of 176
    appdevappdev Posts: 61member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Apple must be getting sick and tired of all these failed products they keep releasing........

Yeah. I don't understand how they stay in business.

Fire steve jobs!!!
  • Reply 62 of 176
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jinpa88 View Post

I'm surprised their (Apple's and At&t's) servers couldn't handle the traffic. One of the largest tech companies and one of the oldest and largest telecom companies, in the World, could handle it. That surprises me. Sorry if that upsets/offends you.

You're surprised, that's fine, but your reasoning is flawed. Your argument that they should be able to handle any surge simply because they are big and old is erroneous. That has no barring on reality because there is a still a finite number of transactions they can do at any one time. You have no stated or broken down why you think the order load was well within reason for their server setup. You can't because there are too many factors to consider and too much info that we just can't get ahold of, but that is the crux of the issue with stating that they should have because of the criteria you stated.
  • Reply 63 of 176
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Brilliant! I bet AT&T are glad they didn't allow Facetime over 3G.
  • Reply 64 of 176
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jinpa88 View Post

What I didn't see coming was the same prices for the new phone as the one I just bought. I assumed (incorrectly, obviously) that they would be out of my price-range. When I saw they weren't and then saw the release date fell within my exchange/return window I figured I had nothing to lose.

Considering that is Apples standard practice across virtually all of their product lines, that shouldn't have surprised you.
  • Reply 65 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbro1999 View Post

It's all about trust. Apple has never let me down. Ever.

Blind faith is one of the most exploitable features corporations and governments see in the human race. Use your brains and never trust anything - not your priest, not your president and certainly not a profit driven corporation that enslaves its workforce worldwide.
  • Reply 66 of 176
    adamiigsadamiigs Posts: 355member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FormerARSgm View Post

Is anyone surprised by this announcement? I wonder how high the number would have been without system malfunctions? I think it's been said before... Apple is doomed.

Was able to pre-order two... I'll be waiting for FedEx on the 24th. Not surprisingly, I had success with one order while the West coast was at lunch, and pushed the other through while they were in traffic on the way home.

LOL I think um no matter if the system fail or not, they only had 600,000 to sell
  • Reply 67 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freethinker View Post

I wish I had $2200 to bandy about on a product I haven't touched yet. I guess this shows that most people are impulsive rather than rational when it comes to buying anything that Apple announces. It is a blind leap of faith in that you haven't touched this iPhone 4. I am not anti- Apple but I am anti-irrationality.

Yeah, because we all know that once you take it out of the box and try it out, you're stuck with it forever. And you can't cancel the AT&T service - no matter what. That 2 week return policy and 30 day cancellation policy doesn't apply when you purchase an iPhone.

• Reply 68 of 176
    stokessdstokessd Posts: 103member
    600K orders is a small fraction of the total that "could be" if people could actually order. It took me 16 hours of trying (off and on all day) to successfully buy two phones, a bumper and a dock. Imagine the actual sales numbers if people could get in and actually buy things.

Sheldon
  • Reply 69 of 176
    estyleestyle Posts: 201member
    Quote:

I wish I had $2200 to bandy about on a product I haven't touched yet. I guess this shows that most people are impulsive rather than rational when it comes to buying anything that Apple announces. It is a blind leap of faith in that you haven't touched this iPhone 4. I am not anti- Apple but I am anti-irrationality.

have you ever lived in a house before you bought it?

those usually cost a lot more. and the realtor showing is only the equivalent to the apple announcement, except that apple has a past history, while most home builders are unknown to the buyer especially if it is the second, thrid, etc sale of the house.

ever applied for a job after working for the company?
  • Reply 70 of 176
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

Then don't buy one without touching it. Go to the Apple store or your carrier and play with one before ordering. You will have to wait a few weeks, but that's unlikely to be fatal.

OTOH, millions of people ordered them without touching them based on their experience with Apple products, reviews, and so on. Yet the iPhone has the highest customer satisfaction rate of all phones - three years in a row.
  • Reply 71 of 176
    Quote:

You're the one being irrational and like all irrational posters do you become hypocritical in short order (see next post).

Quote:

Have you had AT&T service? It is not as reliable as Verizon or even T-Mobile in my area (NYC). I've had AT&T for 4 years and I have come to expect drop calls...

So you admit that you can have expectations based on past experiences? Note that expectations don't just work for negative and positive experiences.

BTW, You don't pay $2,200, you pay $199 to $299 + $18 + tax. On top of that, you have a full 30 days to try out the device and return it for a refund and cancelation of your contract. So where is this massive risk and excessive costs coming from?
  • Reply 72 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

My order waived the upgrade fee even though I am not at two years until Nov 2010. Not sure why they waived it but I'll take it.

Yeah, from what I saw if you ordered through Apple's site the $18 upgrade fee was waived. But it seems that if you ordered through AT&T you were charged the $18 upgrade fee.
  • Reply 73 of 176
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    One of the real questions is, are any of these up-grades?

Skip
  • Reply 74 of 176
    Quote:

Blind faith is one of the most exploitable features corporations and governments see in the human race. Use your brains and never trust anything - not your priest, not your president and certainly not a profit driven corporation that enslaves its workforce worldwide.

As a stock holder I think I can afford the $2200. Gotta love AAPL
  • Reply 75 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by estyle View Post

have you ever lived in a house before you bought it?

those usually cost a lot more. and the realtor showing is only the equivalent to the apple announcement, except that apple has a past history, while most home builders are unknown to the buyer especially if it is the second, thrid, etc sale of the house.

ever applied for a job after working for the company?

horrible argument. you can go many times into a house you are keen on buying and see it for as long as you want (or as long as the Realtor allows). You also do research on the community, schools, public transport, restaurants, bars, etc. This is a pre-order of a phone that hasn't existed 1 month in the public sphere that costs over $2200 that people are buying impulsively rather than trying it out first hand.

Working in a job has nothing to do with paying for a product.
  • Reply 76 of 176
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,037member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

Wow 600,000 for one out of two colours and in only 5 of the 87 countries.

Can't Apple PR write a sentence on what's up with no White Pre-Orders?
  • Reply 77 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Lost in all this iPhone 4 hype is the fact that Apple is now selling unlocked iPhones in Canada.

Don't forget in the UK too. Now, if they can do it in the US that would be impressive and revolutionary. What a nice marketing point.
  • Reply 78 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stokessd View Post

600K orders is a small fraction of the total that "could be" if people could actually order. It took me 16 hours of trying (off and on all day) to successfully buy two phones, a bumper and a dock. Imagine the actual sales numbers if people could get in and actually buy things.

Sheldon

That got me thinking. If they only had 600k units to sell as pre-orders and if the servers weren't having issues causing us to order constantly over and over for hours at a time, they would have simply sold out in a lot less time. So from a purely financial standpoint it may not have been financially viable for AT&T to spend a gazillion dollars just to speed up the inevitable of selling out in only a few hours.
  • Reply 79 of 176
    Quote:

This is a pre-order of a phone that hasn't existed 1 month in the public sphere that costs over $2200 that people are buying impulsively rather than trying it out first hand.

Giving you the benefit of the doubt before rubber stamping you a troll...

1) Show us any evidence that anyone had to pay $2200 to pre-order an iPhone 4.

2) Tell us how the 30-day risk-free period of the iPhone 4 is not "trying it out first hand".
  • Reply 80 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

Wow 600,000 for one out of two colours and in only 5 of the 87 countries.

AND for only taking orders for a few hours before everything crashed!!