First Look: Apple's iOS 4 for iPhone, iPod touch

1356789

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 178
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by svnipp View Post


    I'm just wondering whether to update today/tonight, or let this cook out in the wild for a week or so before upgrading? I've had great results on my MacPro at home with updates and upgrades, but this will be my first time thru a major upgrade on the iPhone. I have to say though that the new features sound incredibly enticing, especially being able to background audio apps. Maybe I can finally listen to Slacker/Pandora while running with iMapMyRun going.



    The bad part about the first day is slow servers. If you catch it at the wrong time, it could tie your phone up for hours if the servers are slow- once you start you have to see it through to the end.

    It is probably best to wait until the end of your day to start the process.
  • Reply 42 of 178
    markkmarkk Posts: 13member
    I'd like to think there's still some surprise little features to be seen that weren't included in the betas as there was no need for devs to see them
  • Reply 43 of 178
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Proximityeffect View Post


    The bad part about the first day is slow servers. If you catch it at the wrong time, it could tie your phone up for hours if the servers are slow- once you start you have to see it through to the end.

    It is probably best to wait until the end of your day to start the process.



    There may be third-party sites such as iClarified that may mirror the IPSW. I hope these come to the rescue.



    Well, not "mirror" as such, but they provide a direct link to the Apple-hosted IPSW file (hint: use Firefox or Safari may try and expand the IPSW as a .zip file).



    This way, you don't have to leave your phone connected, just download the IPSW, then only when fully downloaded place the IPSW in the appropriate directory, update, Boom! iOS4 on your phone.
  • Reply 44 of 178
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post


    There may be third-party sites such as iClarified that may mirror the IPSW. I hope these come to the rescue.



    I still think everybody should wait until later this evening to ensure that my 8am PST download goes smoothly...
  • Reply 45 of 178
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Proximityeffect View Post


    The bad part about the first day is slow servers. If you catch it at the wrong time, it could tie your phone up for hours if the servers are slow- once you start you have to see it through to the end.

    It is probably best to wait until the end of your day to start the process.



    Akami will be mirroring this and should have little problem, I imagine that the large ISPs may have internal network mirror too, as it will save money on peering. I would expect little delay, but really, if ever there was a case for Bit Torrent, this is it.
  • Reply 46 of 178
    williamgwilliamg Posts: 322member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


    My daughter just received a Motorola Backflip last week - and it's running Android 1.5. Motorola says that they hope to be able to update it to 2.1 'some day', but they're not even talking about 2.2.





    Why did your daughter buy that crummy phone? She could have gotten a Nexus One if she wanted a good ATT Android phone.
  • Reply 47 of 178
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post


    What the he'll are you all counting down to? The moment in which you wont be able to use a single damn feature of os 4 because there has been no effort of the part of developers or apple to get app store apps ready? Be prepared for disappointment because you are not going to see a bunch of updates suddenly appear after the os goes live. Its going to be a long sad launch with bad PR.



    Huh? I can use Multitasking, Unified Inbox, a whole bunch of cool iOS4 stuff right away:

    http://www.tipb.com/2010/06/14/ios-4-walkthrough/



    I'm not a big Apps person anyway, so the iOS update will be nice.
  • Reply 48 of 178
    williamgwilliamg Posts: 322member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benice View Post


    Apple actually said there was 100 new features in the iOS update so what are the rest?



    It still says it on the Apple site and yet this list can only point to about 30 items.





    You assume that Apple is using the word "features" in the typical manner. But the word can mean anything Apple wants it to mean. What you would call an "under the hood minor bug fix" may be what Apple calls one of the 100 major new features.
  • Reply 49 of 178
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Just a few hours away! 6.30am PST
  • Reply 50 of 178
    svnippsvnipp Posts: 430member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post


    What the he'll are you all counting down to? The moment in which you wont be able to use a single damn feature of os 4 because there has been no effort of the part of developers or apple to get app store apps ready? Be prepared for disappointment because you are not going to see a bunch of updates suddenly appear after the os goes live. Its going to be a long sad launch with bad PR.



    Huh? I think I've downloaded at least a half dozen app updates that specifically have iOS 4 update listed as the reason for the update. Now some of this is most likely just for iOS 4 compatibility issues, but shouldn't iOS 4 run all existing apps without need for any modification? Assuming that is the case, why am I downloading app updates that list iOS 4 as the update purpose?



    I agree that the bulk of the iOS 4 apps are going to be weeks or months down the road, but I think there is a lot out there already that has been updated for iOS 4. I assume that you are one of the naysayers of the iPad and you used the same argument there? Well, there were plenty of apps available for the iPad at launch, and I just recently saw an article reporting that there is now over 10k iPad specific apps. I think we'll start seeing plenty of iOS 4 specific apps in the next few weeks.
  • Reply 51 of 178
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post


    a good ATT ... phone.



    There is no such thing, not even teh iphone, after all, it is still on ATT
  • Reply 52 of 178
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    I think this is a very solid looking release and can't wait to tease my wife with the new features she can't use-at least until Apple ships her new Iphone 4 which is due mid July.



    I think the item I am most waiting for is to use infinite tunes in background mode. I have been using backgrounder to do this but I would rather use Apples solution over the hack.
  • Reply 53 of 178
    boogabooga Posts: 1,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by columbus View Post


    So there is a huge number of Android devices out there which are artificially capped in performance thanks to poor software optimisations (if you can get 2x improvements on the same hardware that to me suggests the VM wasn't very well optimised to begin with**). If Apple had the same problem there would be a riot, yet for Android it gets a free pass.



    My understanding is that the speedup is due to the Java VM going from purely interpreted mode to a JIT compiler. (Remember, most Android apps are Java apps.)



    I think Sun did this in the late 90's, so Android is doing a bit of catching up. But it should provide a significant boost in performance and probably battery life as well.
  • Reply 54 of 178
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post


    Just a few hours away! 6.30am PST



    6:30am? That'd be 8:30am here. Not happening yet here in the Southeast.
  • Reply 55 of 178
    jamesmcdjamesmcd Posts: 68member
    It's Tuesday the 22nd here :-)
  • Reply 56 of 178
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008


    Just a few hours away! 6.30am PST



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GeekElectro View Post


    6:30am? That'd be 8:30am here. Not happening yet here in the Southeast.



    I meant it's 6.30am PST now. So, just a few hours away to the mystery time when Apple will drop the update, assumedly between 8am to 11am PST.
  • Reply 57 of 178
    Waiting here with baited breath! I hope it comes soon! A great belated birthday present.
  • Reply 58 of 178
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by svnipp View Post


    Huh? I think I've downloaded at least a half dozen app updates that specifically have iOS 4 update listed as the reason for the update. Now some of this is most likely just for iOS 4 compatibility issues, but shouldn't iOS 4 run all existing apps without need for any modification? Assuming that is the case, why am I downloading app updates that list iOS 4 as the update purpose?



    I agree that the bulk of the iOS 4 apps are going to be weeks or months down the road, but I think there is a lot out there already that has been updated for iOS 4. I assume that you are one of the naysayers of the iPad and you used the same argument there? Well, there were plenty of apps available for the iPad at launch, and I just recently saw an article reporting that there is now over 10k iPad specific apps. I think we'll start seeing plenty of iOS 4 specific apps in the next few weeks.



    1. I don't believe for a second that there are even as many as half a dozen 4.0 ready apps in the app store. I guarantee you that won't even change, today.



    2. All Apps Re supposed to run without the need for modification, but this is an outright lie from Apple, as many apps do not. iTeleport, Air Video, StreamtoMe, Call of Duty, to name a few. There are many more, just from my collection. Probably thousands total.



    3. Apps should be ready first. The damn app store should be 4.0 ready before they even flip the switch today, as its completely false advertising. Nothing will work as advertised today, and ill be uselessly complaining to Apple about how they have no concept or concern for what's best. They did this with the iPad when developers had a lukewarm reaction to the SDK, and now it seems 4.0 has failed to garner much attention either. The majority of devs of the 225,000 apps are content to sit tight and count de moné with their 2.2.1 compatible apps.



    /rant
  • Reply 59 of 178
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jamesmcd View Post


    It's Tuesday the 22nd here :-)



    It's Monday 21st 9.45pm where I am :-) ... Which means you're in... New Zealand?
  • Reply 60 of 178
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post


    WTF are you debating? Its just software. Run the update, use it. End of "dilemma"





    I disagree. Waiting is very valid, and likely will be my strategy. Anyone who suffered through updating their iPhone to 2.0 as soon as it launched knows exactly what I am talking about. It was a nightmare.
Sign In or Register to comment.