Popular iPhone camera app pulled over "Easter egg" shutter button

Comments

• Reply 61 of 188
    xtss33xtss33 Posts: 25member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Off topic, but I?ve been wanting Apple to make the toggle switch above the volume buttons also function as a pressable button. The current method of using voice controls or taking a snapshot would be much easier if that were a button as it would be easily used by the right index finger. Maybe it?s too difficult to be viable, but this is the one HW feature I think would make my iPhone much easier to use.

I like this idea. An "app button" whose use depends on the active app.
  • Reply 62 of 188
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mac_dog View Post

... i'm wondering what all the google/fandroids think of the google/verizon marriage and their proposed tier scam for the internet. who's the big evil corporation now?

The ones that come here say it's no big deal, that all companies are evil, so Google being evil doesn't bother them a bit. ... Yeah, I know.
  • Reply 63 of 188
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mac_dog View Post

i'm wondering what all the google/fandroids think of the google/verizon marriage and their proposed tier scam for the internet. who's the big evil corporation now?

It seems there is a lot of competition for that title...
  • Reply 64 of 188
    If Steve Jobs says you don't need physical buttons then you don't need them. Lord Jobs steers the photo industry you know.
  • Reply 65 of 188
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

If Steve Jobs says you don't need physical buttons then you don't need them. Lord Jobs steers the photo industry you know.

Stop being a tool. No one missed you when you were banned - in fact, we only realized you were gone after you mentioned it 10 times.
  • Reply 66 of 188
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The offending post on Twitter has since been removed.

Hopefully it remains immortalized in the Library of Congress.
  • Reply 67 of 188
    Apple really needs to put 2 customizable buttons on the iPhone and iPod/iPads. They are far too useful to be limited to screen only input. Humans like buttons and controls that work without having to look at them (ie riding a bike, driving, even walking).
  • Reply 68 of 188
    1) This has been in "the blogosphere" for two full days. The timing of this article is a little slow with no new information to add. How about getting "the scoop" directly from Tap Tap Tap or Lisa Bettany?

2) Camera+ has two outstanding features. The first is VolumeSnap (the object of debate) and the other is the ability to select focus and exposure independently.

3) On the iPhone 4, VolumeSnap works great and feels "right." It really does make the iPhone 4 into the "Leica" as described by Steve Jobs. It doesn't feel quite right on the iPhone 3GS. I'd encourage Apple to incorporate these features into the stock Camera app...after all, they've seemingly used Tap Tap Tap's ideas before (iBooks looks a lot like Classics).

4) I agree with other posters that some of Camera+'s features aren't so great. I don't like the splash/opening/first screen, either (wish you could opt to turn it off); I wish the "lightbox" didn't exist and pics were just used/saved in the camera roll; and I wish the program was open to other external camera sharing than Camera+'s own server.

5) Finally, I'd like to see a statement from the company. As far as I can tell, they didn't directly leak the "hack" and have been silent on it since it was leaked.
  • Reply 69 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Stop being a tool. No one missed you when you were banned - in fact, we only realized you were gone after you mentioned it 10 times.

You missed me and you know it. I'm the only voice of truth on this whole insane forum. And it's my pleasure, really.
  • Reply 70 of 188
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:

From the horse's mouth:

"Your application cannot be added to the App Store because it uses iPhone volume buttons in a non-standard way, potentially resulting in user confusion. Changing the behavior of iPhone external hardware buttons is a violation of the iPhone Developer Program License Agreement. Applications must adhere to the iPhone Human Interface Guidelines as outlined in the iPhone Developer Program License Agreement section 3.3.7"

An iPhone app developer actually got more than a one word email from Apple saying "Denied"?
  • Reply 71 of 188
    dimwitdimwit Posts: 29member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scottw62 View Post

My question is this: Why does a device that shuns buttons (i.e. a keyboard) have buttons to begin with? Why not a tap on the screen to open the window that opens anyway and have a slider to adjust the volume?

There are 2 reasons:

1. Have you ever tried to use an onscreen touch-based interface on a device that is in your pocket?

2. More importantly... Apple wanted to do it that way.

Honestly, I have a 1st gen iPod Touch, the worst thing about it (besides not being able to run iOS4) is the lack of volume buttons.

Dim
  • Reply 72 of 188
    I don't fault tap3 for trying to get the feature into the app legitimately, pushing the boundaries of "The Rules" is how innovation happens. If people never challenged the "rules" Columbus would never have discovered the western hemisphere, President Obama wouldn't be President, two friends wouldn't have started one of the greatest technology companies in their garage, WE WOULDN'T EVEN HAVE AN iPHONE to begin with.

The fault lies with whomever released the developer backdoor to the public.
  • Reply 73 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

You missed me and you know it. I'm the only voice of truth on this whole insane forum. And it's my pleasure, really.

At least you have a sense of humor.
  • Reply 74 of 188
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Camera+, a popular iPhone application, was pulled from the App Store after it violated Apple's developer agreement terms and secretly allowed users to use a physical volume control button as a shutter button to take pictures.

Good. When will these developers learn that when Steve lays down the law, he really means it?

He will not allow the User Experience to be ruined like these guys did. They should be banned from the App Store forever.
  • Reply 75 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dimwit View Post

I don't fault tap3 for trying to get the feature into the app legitimately, pushing the boundaries of "The Rules" is how innovation happens. If people never challenged the "rules" Columbus would never have discovered the western hemisphere, President Obama wouldn't be President, two friends wouldn't have started one of the greatest technology companies in their garage, WE WOULDN'T EVEN HAVE AN iPHONE to begin with.

The fault lies with whomever released the developer backdoor to the public.

Right, I'll keep my fingers crossed for when violating the Developer Program License Agreement cures cancer.
  • Reply 76 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Those volume buttons would be great for a shutter. Especially compared to what we have now.

Who thinks it will happen in the native camera app??

No way. That would be WAY too confusing for the target iPhone demographic.

Since when is anything allowed to be done more than one way? Simplicity is Apple's trademark, and being able to accomplish tasks any which old way is the opposite of that. Everything on an Apple device must operate the exact same one-only way. That is one main reason why they are becoming increasingly popular.

Take the App Store for example. People do not need to search lots of different stores and wonder and fret and decide stuff for themselves - everything is in ONE PLACE. Every app is installed exactly the same first time every time.

Same with taking pictures. Apple cannot allow apps to just willy nilly break every convention that Steve took years to get into place - that would be anarchy like Windows. And that way lies madness.
  • Reply 77 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidcarswell View Post

When did Apple users start becoming so moronic. What a shame.

I bet you work for Android!!
  • Reply 78 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It gets tiring reading some people here being happy about the concept of "sticking it to the man" for no good reason. The app store is what it is, if developers don't like that, they don't have to develop. If they want to develop, then they have to stick to the rules.

I wish that those kind of people would just go buy something different if they want to stock it to the man. Leave Steve alone! He doesn't need to be stuck!
  • Reply 79 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scottw62 View Post

The fact that the screen can be whatever you want on it is amazing. The fact that Apple thinks the millions of iPhone buyers are just too dumb to figure out these things is just stupid.

Apple doesn't just "think" these things, they KNOW them.

That is why their products never need any instruction manuals. People already know haw to use Apple products just by holding them in their hands.
  • Reply 80 of 188
    Quote:

Right, I'll keep my fingers crossed for when violating the Developer Program License Agreement cures cancer.

Seriously? You want to take that tack? Do you even remember the state of cell phones before the iPhone? If the network didn't want a particular feature enabled, it was disabled. Apple pushed that boundary. As for cancer, do you have any idea how far and hard they push boundaries in medical research? Why there are so many checks and balances on that process? So much animal testing? You need to shut up. Your ignorance is showing.

Cheers,

Dim