Apple to offer live video stream of Wednesday's keynote

Comments

• Reply 81 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I suggest you test that Akami site I posted in the morning before work to see if it works at all through their routers.

What? Where? What site??
  • Reply 82 of 145
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

What? Where? What site??

I believe it was in my first reply to you on the first page of this thread.
  • Reply 83 of 145
    jb510jb510 Posts: 129member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

What? Where? What site??

Congratulations on winning today's contest for laziest human on the internet...
  • Reply 84 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by el-extranjero View Post

Well, There's going to be something big, alright.

Apple does seem to want to make a point with this live streaming ?*the press release is very "suspicious" in this regard.

This really seems related to Quicktime X / Facetime streaming technologies.

And Apple may want to prove how good this tech really is by using it on the event.

Hmm FaceTime will allow http html 5 video streaming direct from your iPhone 4 and iPod touch 4 ??? The pr0n industry rejoices yet again!
  • Reply 85 of 145
    Hmmmm. Is this a demo opportunity for Apple's new southern server farm?
  • Reply 86 of 145
    jb510jb510 Posts: 129member
    Just to add to the random speculation...

Couldn't this possibly be to highlight the same live HTTP streaming functionality of the rumored iTV?

I could see them highlighting the iTV as doing something that no other broadband streaming set top box (Roku, etc...) can do... receive LIVE broadcasts.
  • Reply 87 of 145
    Quote:

Humm, if it's at 10:00 AM in San Francisco, California,

it's 06:00 PM in London (UK) and Lisbon (Portugal) time

and 07:00 PM in rest of the Western Europe Continental Time,

isn't it ?

Yup 6pm UK time. Because of daylight savings time in the UK.

Just use the world clock comparison tool in Clock Pro HD on the iPad if you're curious.
  • Reply 88 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SailorPaul View Post

Hmmmm. Is this a demo opportunity for Apple's new southern server farm?

I thought about that, but since it?s streaming, not stored content, I don?t think it would be ideal for this situation. I think Apple?s partners, like Akami and others who offer distributed server services for Apple would be best for picking up this stream coming from the Yerba Buena Center in SF.
  • Reply 89 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jb510 View Post

Congratulations on winning today's contest for laziest human on the internet...

I'm not lazy. I'm just tired. After getting off a 12 hour shift at work I commuted home by riding my bicycle at high speed for 25 miles dodging traffic to get home. Good ride by the way.

Cut me some slack!
  • Reply 90 of 145
    Quote:

Humm, if it's at 10:00 AM in San Francisco, California,

it's 06:00 PM in London (UK) and Lisbon (Portugal) time

and 07:00 PM in rest of the Western Europe Continental Time,

isn't it ?

Gosh. My bad. My apologies.

I don't know why I was thinking it was at noon EDT. But I stand corrected. It is indeed 6pm UK/Portugal and 7pm western EU continental time. I'm surely mixing up with this appointment that I have tomorrow for an interview.
  • Reply 91 of 145
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sideshowlol View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Viewing requires either a Mac running Safari on Mac OS X version 10.6 Snow Leopard..."

Why is 10.6 necessary to watch a live stream? That's a rotten shame.

To demonstrate how terribly common flash is and how only the elite should have the privilege. we don't want the riff raff, like myself who only has 10.5.8, to be able to tune in, let alone the dregs of society who use PCs.
  • Reply 92 of 145
    MacRumors has posted a nice summation of the protocol and a possible work around.
  • Reply 93 of 145
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by einsteinbqat View Post

Gosh. My bad. My apologies.

I don't know why I was thinking it was at noon EDT. But I stand corrected. It is indeed 6pm UK/Portugal and 7pm western EU continental time. I'm surely mixing up with this appointment that I have tomorrow for an interview.

lol! Glad that got cleared up!

Good luck with your interview
  • Reply 94 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MoXoM View Post

lol! Glad that got cleared up!

Good luck with your interview

LOL

Thanks.

Hopefully I won't get mixed up if I get asked for the time. I should get to bed or it might happen.
  • Reply 95 of 145
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

However, there seems to be little effort from 3rd-parties to add it to Windows so unless Apple comes out with a new version of QuickTime for Windows that offers HTTP Live Streaming it may be a long time before it?s even remotely viable for Windows users.

If they don't, Jobs' comment about Adobe being lazy would look just a wee bit hypocritical.
  • Reply 96 of 145
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Maybe they are using HTTP Live Streaming because they intend to announce some kind of live streaming product during the event?
  • Reply 97 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Berger... Wassuppp

Lmiting the HTML stream should be great. I feel exclusive but more relevant it means I have a real chance of actually watching the video because of less users.

Howdy, Suni.

Yeah, connection over here should be OK, as long as the US doesn't get swamped.
  • Reply 98 of 145
    You can test your Safari Live Stream or use VLC . . . see this link for details:

http://technologme.com/test-your-app...e-stream/2564/
  • Reply 99 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Time in the White Mountains... almost as good as an Apple event. Had some good holidays there many years back.

Just pull a "we're going to stop for lunch now, I'm starving", add in a couple "have another desert"'s and enjoy Steve live.

Did you stop and see the old man in the mountain? Shame it's falling apart. Not afraid of heights but I have yet to make it to the top of the wooden lookout. LOL!
  • Reply 100 of 145
    Am I the only one who thinks that even if they do have a wifi problem, it won't affect the streaming? Why would they use wifi?

~Callum