Apple to offer live video stream of Wednesday's keynote

Comments

• Reply 121 of 145
    Dear Olternaut,

Count on Apple to always side with the freedom-craving end user against the productivity-killing conspiracies of the IT Department... In this case, it means that you **WILL** be able to watch the live streaming of the event, simply because it happens through a new emerging standard that leverages plain vanilla HTTP requests to a plain vanilla web server to show bandwidth-adaptive high quality video, whether (pausable) live, time-offset or previously recorded. This HTTP Live Streaming specification was originally developed by Apple but is now an IETF Internet-Draft.

The basic concept is incredibly simple (as are all good things): a kind of playlist (in an extended .m3u format) lists a number of video chunks; all are stored on a web server. A suitably equipped browser (so far only on Safari on Mac OS X 10.6 or iOS3+) uses regular HTTP (which supposedly will not be blocked by evil IT) to fetch the playlist from the server, then to get all the video chunks one after another and play them in sequence. When the end of the playlist is reached and no END marker has been found, the browser simply refreshes the playlist, potentially listing a bunch of new blocks. If you want to know more, follow the link to the docs & specs at the bottom of this post.

If you simply want to check it out for yourself (through the firewall and all ;-), then point your Safari (10.6 or iOS3+) to the demo on the web site of Caringo: we develop software that turns a bunch of standard X86 servers into a private cloud, accessible through standard http. What you'll see is a few http streaming demos coming straight off our storage infrastructure WITHOUT any type of streaming server or protocol intervening. If this demo works for you, you'll be able to see the Apple transmission as well.

http://www.caringo.com/iphone (a safety feature protects abuse of this public demo: every video will play only once - it will play again only after a very long timeout, or after you restart your Mac or iPhone ;-)

Enjoy!

Paul Carpentier

CTO, Caringo, Inc.

http://developer.apple.com/iphone/li...nkElementID_29

( abbreviated: http://tinyurl.com/34xut2z )

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Get this......

This year at work the IT department is clamping down (as per the friggin management) and decided to firewall all internet streaming.

Now of all times as Apple has miraculously decided to allow a livestream of their event!!!!!

!!!!!ARGH!!!!!

• Reply 122 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paulrmc View Post

Dear Olternaut,

Count on Apple to always side with the freedom-craving end user against the productivity-killing conspiracies of the IT Department... In this case, it means that you **WILL** be able to watch the live streaming of the event,

Sorry, my IT folks are smart enough to figure out how to block HTTP Live Streaming. None of the demos work for me on the corporate network, but do at home and on other networks.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 123 of 145
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

hehe I thought you were going to say ?except for a continuous dead stretch between Miami, Florida and the Canadian border in Maine.?

AT&T's 3G coverage map is pretty accurate for I-95 from Ft. Lauderdale to DC and for I-80 from Scranton to Chicago. We drove those routes in early May about a week after getting our iPads, using them for weather radar and streaming Internet radio.
  • Reply 124 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paulrmc View Post

If this demo works for you, you'll be able to see the Apple transmission as well.

Worked fine on my iPhone - but not on my PC version of Safari (user agent changed to iPhone) but I expected that.

Thanks!
  • Reply 125 of 145
    15 minutes to go!!!
  • Reply 126 of 145
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Bandwidth is already getting flakey and it hasn't even started. I hope they don't flop with streaming this live.
  • Reply 127 of 145
    I've got this thing streaming on my iMac, iPad, and iPhone, all at once without a hitch. Amazing!
  • Reply 128 of 145
    Is it just me or did the feed just jump back in time a couple of minutes after Steve took the stage? I'm now looking at a 30% full theater. Maybe a buffer...?
  • Reply 129 of 145
    I might be dropped to audio only on the stream. Over 3G on my iPad. This typing is on my Mac... because no multitasking on iPad T_T *sniff* LOL
  • Reply 130 of 145
    Watching it live is FRICKIN AWESOME THOUGH. I hope I don't lose the video feed!!!!

Steve talked about Apple Retail

Steve talking about iOS 4.1

BUILT IN HDR. AWESOME

Game Center. Multi-player games, auto matching. Steve looks kinda healthy but still quite thin.
  • Reply 131 of 145
    Apparently I'm about 20 minutes behind on my iP4 on 3G. Bummer. \
  • Reply 132 of 145
    This is awesome.

Printing on iPad!!!
  • Reply 133 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bill679 View Post

Apparently I'm about 20 minutes behind on my iP4 on 3G. Bummer. \

I was just watching the iPod Shuffle, Steve said and Now!... and it kicked me out to the very beginning of the show before it even started. What a bummer.
  • Reply 134 of 145
    Go back to the original entry page, refresh the page, then click on the video again. It should speed you up to the current time, if you want to.
  • Reply 135 of 145
    No camera on iPod nano... Means touch has camera
  • Reply 136 of 145
    LOL iPod shuffle and nano seems like they were put out just for the sake of it. iPod shuffle is the old shuffle. Nano is the old shuffle but with touch...

Don't take me too seriously hah
  • Reply 137 of 145
    IPOD TOUCH RETINA omfg
  • Reply 138 of 145
    Rentals in Japan, please!
  • Reply 139 of 145
    These Apple people aren't very innovative are they?
  • Reply 140 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

These Apple people aren't very innovative are they?

I'm gonna browse over to the Microsoft page, see what they're up to...