Apple now building 2M iPads per month to meet demand

Comments

• Reply 41 of 130
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    That does not imply however that it is perfect.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

In theory this should quieten the doubters who claimed that the reason for the 'catch up' was a decline in demand. Apple are working ahead to launch in more countries and still seem to be only just matching demand in those countries where the pad is available.

Frankly I've never doubted demand, just walking by an Apple store should demonstrate public demand. Corporate demand is almost strange as the device would seem to be far outside most corporate infrastruture and purchasing policies.

Quote:

I wonder where the analysts, experts (and trolls) who claimed this device would struggle to sell more than two million units in its first year are now?

They have their point if view. Obviously a view that has to be adjusted from time to time.

However their position is no less credible than the users that plug their heads in the sand and deny the serious short comings that iPad has. To publicly declare iPad to be perfect or suitable for any use is foolish at the very least.

Quote:

No camera, no flash, no {insert port, service or function here}...

Some of the concerns expressed are very valid, you cannot rationally deny the points.

For example cameras. Personally I don't see a rear facng camera as being all that useful. A front facing Facetime camera is another story altogether. That is a personal reconsideration for me after more info on FaceTime has become available. Facetime is a far bigger deal than many will want to admit to thus the neeed to support a suitable camera.

To deny that the iPad is short on RAM is to publically say one is technically illiterate. It is more significant than the lack of a camera as far as technical limitations go That RAM shortage directly impacts CURRENT software as well as future software. IPhone 4 pretty much proves the point here.

Quote:

That's the theory at least, but wait for the posts below where people continue to complain about the device, tell us why we shouldn't like it, shouldn't buy it, list what it can't do and why we're being forced to buy it in the millions.

At least we aren't viewing the world throuyh rose colored glasses!!!

Besides we aren't telling you or anybody else for that matter not to buy the thing. That is up to the individual, what we are pointing out is why we have not purchased one yet. Notice I said "yet" there, it would take very little on Apples part to get me to buy something slightly improved.

Quote:

Apple are doomed!®

Obviously not!

However the iPad platform is not a cell phone nor a laptop. As such it needs a different focus and capability mix to get many of us to buy. In some cases Apple has recognized this by unbundling hardware that should been built in (camera connection kit). Profits are pretty steep on iPad as it is, so forgive me if I express outragecat feeding Apple anymore money a $2.00 SD slot.

The unfortunate thing is that people like you seem to taje that as an indication of hate for the product to which I would suggest waking up. It is really an expression of desire or even lust combined with a little rational thinking about our personal needs. IPad is one slick device but it is not a hammer for every nail. Understanding that will lead to a better appreciation for the desires expressed by others.

Dave
  • Reply 42 of 130
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mooch View Post

now if only they could make enough iPhones that I could actually get one...

Wow! I totally didn't realize that Apple still has a 3 week delay for all iPhone 4 models here in the states. What's the delay in Canada? And what's with the white iPhone 4?
  • Reply 43 of 130
    moochmooch Posts: 113member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Wow! I totally didn't realize that Apple still has a 3 week delay for all iPhone 4 models here in the states. What's the delay in Canada? And what's with the white iPhone 4?

Its 3 weeks on the Apple store...if you want to shell out the $$$ for an unlocked one. I haven't been to any Rogers store or place that sells Rogers phones yet that has had any in stock. One place I went to said they had only received 4 phones since launch...
  • Reply 44 of 130
    Quote:

Apple allegedly indicated to its suppliers that it would like to produce 3 million a month starting in the fourth calendar quarter of 2010.

Editorial alert: The term "allegedly" is wildly overused in AI articles, and unless you mean to imply that something illegal or immoral may have occurred, it's the wrong word. Or did the writer really mean to imply that Apple is being accused of wrongdoing for asking their suppliers to increase production?
  • Reply 45 of 130
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RicMac View Post

All this, and without a camera no less. I can't help believing that IF a camera is ever added it will be a distinct model line. Pretty sure that the camera is unwelcome in many enterprise settings.

I think its pretty obvious the next version will have a front facing camera for facetime. But giving its size, a back camera is less likely.
  • Reply 46 of 130
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:

Nope, they make their quarterly statements, they don't normally comment on units sold or activations other than at keynotes etc. The last keynote was about the ipads, apple TV and ios, so i'm sure the headlines are being held back for the next iPad event, or until it's an impressive round figure (10 million by christmas anyone?).

Next quarter results are coming out soon and I think they are going to storm the stock because if they made good ipod/iphone/mac sales, they are in to beat analyst already. Now add up ipad profits and they are going to be way above analyst predictions. Ipad volume is getting in range of adding Apple a forth wheel of income.

CRUS is coming out first and will be a good indication.
  • Reply 47 of 130
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

I think its pretty obvious the next version will have a front facing camera for facetime. But giving its size, a back camera is less likely.

I think a back facing camera would just be awkward to use given the iPad's form factor/size. Would people *really* want to hold the iPad in such a way as to take pictures with it? Nothing screams "I have an iPad!" like brandishing it for all the world to see while you try to take pics with it. It makes the iPhone seem positively stealth in comparison.

(I'll admit that it would be funny to see in practice...)
  • Reply 48 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Next quarter results are coming out soon and I think they are going to storm the stock because if they made good ipod/iphone/mac sales, they are in to beat analyst already. Now add up ipad profits and they are going to be way above analyst predictions. Ipad volume is getting in range of adding Apple a forth wheel of income.

CRUS is coming out first and will be a good indication.

Fiscal Q4 results will be released around the middle of October -- plenty of time for the analysts to factor in increased sales of the iPad, assuming that's what they start seeing themselves.
  • Reply 49 of 130
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applebjesus View Post

Oh and as a user on this forum it would be so nice if you can learn to use "multi quote" instead of posting back to back to back to back replies. It is seen as being courteous to others that use this forum, just like what I've done in this reply. Thanks so much.

EDIT: If you do understand this you just come off as a post whore.

For someone who just joined the forums in June, you sure are bossy.
  • Reply 50 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGuessSo View Post

Hmmm it doesn't quite make sense to me.

If Apple was making one million a month but selling two million, wouldn't there be a 30 day delay after one month, a 60 day delay after two months, etc.?

It wouldn't be possible to stay consistently 7 days behind if they always sold more than they made.

Stop your usage of logic. It has no place when reading Appleinsider articles or analyst statements!
  • Reply 51 of 130
    Quote:

In theory this should quieten the doubters who claimed that the reason for the 'catch up' was a decline in demand. Apple are working ahead to launch in more countries and still seem to be only just matching demand in those countries where the pad is available.

I wonder where the analysts, experts (and trolls) who claimed this device would struggle to sell more than two million units in its first year are now?

No camera, no flash, no {insert port, service or function here}...

That's the theory at least, but wait for the posts below where people continue to complain about the device, tell us why we shouldn't like it, shouldn't buy it, list what it can't do and why we're being forced to buy it in the millions.

Apple are doomed!®

Those that suggested any decline in demand had their heads up their butt. Just because supply-demand is reached for *currently launched countries* does not suddenly make the rest of the people *all over the world* not want one.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

2011 should prove to be amazing as no doubt more sophisticated iOS products appear (I suspect the dual OS X / iOS iMac is a real R&D project).

Well OSX 10.7 is in deep skunkworks. It is now clearly by far Apple's minority OS, whose mostly new users are really clueless, coming from the ultimate simplicity of iOS. Bottom line, expect 2011 thru 2012 to see 10.7 that borrows deeply, heavily from iOS.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by plokoonpma View Post

The iPad plus the update in November sounds pretty sick, still not available in my country on the authorized dealer but on the street is available but darn expensive ($750 cheapest one)

I guess I will wait until it gets facetime, for home use will be a hit with the family, will need to add the keyboard/dock! and will be enough to everyone check mails, browse, games and etc in a cheaper way than buying the cheapest iMac.

Case in point. Insane global demand that is really not going away yet, anytime this year or the next...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

So say 4 million April through July. Then 4 million August September. And 9 million October through December for a total of 17 million deployed by January. That's a pretty strong lead for any competitors to try and overcome.

Yeah I'm guessing 15 to 20 million iPads sold in total by end of 2010. Phenomenal really. Apple singlehandedly reinvented the tablet and made it popular.
  • Reply 52 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Printing is great. Now give people the ability to setup and use an iPad without owning a computer, just like Apple TV.

Than I can recommend it to my Aunt.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by syriana View Post

Obviously, apple TV will upgrade itself alone, and it is an iOS device..

Si it's an important step in the direction you (and I) want!

Yup, as Steve said, "they don't even know what syncing is". Apple is starting to realise how absolutely spastic people are (no offence to the physically challenged) when it comes to computers nowadays. If it's not Windows, it's "too much to learn" ... Except for when it is iOS, then you're in it and don't even want to bother with OSX sometimes.

It's actually a reflection of the maturity if mobile devices and the strength of iOS. Apple is getting it. But they are still, in their DNA, surprised at their own success after being the underdog for decades.
  • Reply 53 of 130
    Quote:

Oh and as a user on this forum it would be so nice if you can learn to use "multi quote" instead of posting back to back to back to back replies. It is seen as being courteous to others that use this forum, just like what I've done in this reply. Thanks so much.

EDIT: If you do understand this you just come off as a post whore.

And... Thank you very much for giving me my 4,999th post. Ah, 5,000 posts next. This calls for a beer!
  • Reply 54 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGuessSo;

The story did: "Analyst Katy Huberty with Morgan Stanley indicated that iPad builds recently increased to 2 million per month, up from the previous number of just 1 million a month. Apple allegedly indicated to its suppliers that it would like to produce 3 million a month starting in the fourth calendar quarter of 2010." This is assuming that Apple builds approximately the same number they sell.

Don't everyone get in a giant huff over this, it's just something I've never understood. For example, if you call to get cable or something installed, it's always a week out. If it's consistently one week out for years, why can't they just put some overtime in and catch up? If it's a case of more orders every day than they can handle, wouldn't it just get worse and worse?

I think digitalclips hit it - it's not a flat one million and then suddenly two million. They ramped up. So the story is misleading.

It's called planning. If cable companies had people sitting around doing nothing they'd be spending money rather than making it. Same as computer inventory - Apple try to keep only a few days of inventory in stock so they're not left with obsolete units or so far behind that they can't fulfil orders (which is what happened with iPad of course. Fortunately for Apple there were no real competitors for people to go to)

There'll be an initial catch-up but given that they're expanding availability to other countries, a week delay isn't unreasonable until that expansion slows and demand levels off once everyone on the planet has one and the secret signal can be sent that turns us all into... No wait. Spoliers.
  • Reply 55 of 130
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGuessSo View Post

Hmmm it doesn't quite make sense to me.

If Apple was making one million a month but selling two million, wouldn't there be a 30 day delay after one month, a 60 day delay after two months, etc.?

It wouldn't be possible to stay consistently 7 days behind if they always sold more than they made.

They weren't selling two million per month at first. They began at one million per month and slowly accelerated, while begin constrained by demand. It seems to me that now that they have ramped to two million built per month, they are at steady state. So perhaps they have been selling at that rate now for a little while.

Thompson
  • Reply 56 of 130
    Quote:

I think you might be disappointed if you buy the device as a family computer - no multiple user accounts would leave no email privacy, and the iOS mail app quickly becomes cluttered with multiple accounts. This is designed primarily as a personal device, and I'm not sure it would work as a family computer - I'd LOVE to be proved wrong, but think twice before making your purchase for this reason. Good luck!

In my family, we have several desktops, laptops, two iPhones and two iPads. None of our accounts are password protected, and we share a central e-mail address. Privacy is not currently a big concern for us.

But you have a point with some families... especially those with teenage kids, I suppose, who cherish their privacy a bit more. Of course, you always could get Junior his own iPad, and he can have his privacy that way.

Thompson
  • Reply 57 of 130
    Quote:

I am sure there are Android users that know what they are doing (and who to trust) and have no problems with malware.

That's good enough for the tech savvy people you are referring to, but not good enough for the masses (i.e. 200,000 new customers per day). The majority of people don't want to mess with this crap, and so they don't. Then they get burned.

Thompson
  • Reply 58 of 130
    Back in days before win95 one of the biggest problems Apple had was keeping up with demand. I remember when I got my first Mac -- a IIsi. My parents bought it for me in my senior year in high school. It took over three *months* from the time it was ordered to the time I received it due to demand that exceeded Apple's forecasts. And that computer cost $3000! The story on Apple throughout the first half of the 90s was their inability to meet demand for Macs, even at their high prices. If Apple had done what many suggested at the time and cut prices, they would have sold no more Macs, because they couldn't even meet demand at the high prices they charged.

My point is that all of the theorizing about how Apple's business model was deeply flawed on some fundamental level may have been misplaced. Apple's problem may have simply been that they couldn't execute in terms of predicting demand and manufacturing.

Now, contrast that to the Apple of today. Apple is far, far better at both predicting demand and getting products manufactured. The worst I've seen them flub this up in years has been this year with the iPhone 4 and iPad. But the longest anyone has had to wait for an iPad has been a fraction of what I had to wait for my IIsi, and the wait now is completely gone. They still have a ways to go with the iPhone 4, but again, nothing like the delays of old.

So I guess my point here is that Apple has dramatically improved their ability to execute, and I think it may end up meaning that a lot of the conventional wisdom about the inherent flaws of Apple's business model was just wrong.
  • Reply 59 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Editorial alert: The term "allegedly" is wildly overused in AI articles, and unless you mean to imply that something illegal or immoral may have occurred, it's the wrong word. Or did the writer really mean to imply that Apple is being accused of wrongdoing for asking their suppliers to increase production?

I don't see a problem with using the word "alleged" or "allegedly" in the manner that AI has.

Sure that word is often used to mean that someone has been accused of something heinous (but not necessarily proven). But another valid use of the word "alleged" is that something is asserted to be true (but not necessarily proven). There is no requirement that the "something" be illegal or immoral in order to use the word.

Perhaps your point is that the word is typically is used that way. That's fine, but according to the dictionary (and my understanding) AI is technically correct.

Thompson
  • Reply 60 of 130
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    When I first got my iPad I used it for a bit and then went back to my computer, but just lately I've been returning to it. There are some really nicely done apps coming out now (such as the new Twitter app), people just needed time to figure it out.

The biggest disappointment for me has been the magazine publishers, who have nearly universally failed to produce good apps. The newspapers are a bit more of a mixed bag: some good, some bad. The biggest surprise has been how powerful the 3D graphics are on it (e.g. the Epic Citadel demo) - I didn't realize that when I bought it.