Apple now building 2M iPads per month to meet demand

Comments

• Reply 81 of 130
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    FaceTime sure would be beautiful on the iPad. Now *that* would feel like the future.
  • Reply 82 of 130
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

A few weeks ago, we took a 2-hour drive down to the Santa Cruz , CA Boardwalk & Amusement Park.

We loaded up 2 iPads with games and videos, etc....

Three young-uns' (10, 11 and 14) in the back seat...

No: "I'm bored"; "Are we there yet?"; "He's touching me!".

Two adults in the front seat conducting a conversation!

Three kids in the back seat doing their thing-- no yelling or fighting.

Once there, the iPads were in play for those not going on rides! The park has a free WiFi hotspot, so that was great.

Same thing on the trip back, with stopovers in Los Gatos (lunch), tour of Saratoga (lived there 17 years), Cupertino/Sunnyvale (Apple and our main Computer Plus Store).

It was an amazing day! Everyone had fun! The adults got to converse and reminisce. The kids got to learn a little family history! We all got to avoid heavy traffic (accidents and rush hour). The iPads kept the kids occupied during the lulls!

The iPads did this job, better than anything I have ever experienced!

Car trip to Sedona and back, with 2 kids. Five hours EACH WAY.

Same experience. iPad rocks.

Thompson
  • Reply 83 of 130
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

... I will go so far as to speculate that Apple planned to announce AppleTV apps and games and that Epic Citadel was meant to demo the capability. ...

That makes sense to me. Now that Apple TV is running iOS, it could eventually run HD-resolution apps, and in many ways act like a huge iPod touch. So why didn't Apple announce iTunes Store and App Store with HD-resolution Apps?

I think Apple absolutely needs to be working on that. But their solution is probably way too far off to announce. There is vastly more work to do than simply increasing the resolution of Apps to 1920x1080. I'm not sure how Apple will do it, but I'm sure they eventually will figure it out.

OK, so how would you control an app on your TV? You do physically touch the screens of your iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch. You don't physically touch the screen of your TV. That's a critical difference. How would you control the slingshot in Angry Birds? With the Apple Remote? Nope. Way too clunky. Apple Remote is designed to choose items from menus and to control video and audio playback.

So would you control Angry Birds with your iPhone or iPad or iPod touch as a remote? Nope. You'd need to first look at your iPhone to see where to tap. That would ruin the experience of playing the game on your TV. You'd be looking at your iPhone half the time. It's OK to look at a remote when you're controlling video playback, but you should never need to look at a remote that you are using to control a game. Nintendo got it right with Wiimote.

So guess what. To control Angry Birds (or any other app) on your TV with a conventional remote, you'd need a cursor on the screen. First you move the cursor to the bird in the slingshot, with either a d-pad or a joystick or a wobble button on the remote. Then you push a button or something on the remote to "grab" the bird, then you move the cursor to control power and angle of the shot, then you release the first button to release the bird. Similarly, you'd move a cursor over the tweet you want to reply to in Twitter, then click on it with a button, etc.

All of which would absolutely, totally suck. And Apple will never do anything that sucks. Which means that Apple needs to figure out some kind of compromise between direct tapping on a screen you touch and moving a cursor around on a screen you don't touch. Hard problem.

Maybe Apple can leverage the accelerometer and gyro in their iDevices and/or create a new, simplified "Magic Remote." And apps would need to be re-designed to handle Magic Remote inputs as well as direct multi-touch. For example, in Angry Birds, you tap and hold the Magic Remote screen to grab the slingshot, then physically move the Magic Remote up/down/left/right in the air in 3 dimensions to pull the slingshot pouch back and get fine control of angle and power. Then you'd release your finger to launch the bird.

But what about clicking on a specific item on the screen? For example, how would you choose a specific Golden Egg to play? Well, maybe the first tap on the Magic Remote would indicate a cursor on your TV. Dragging your finger tip would move the cursor around the Golden Egg screen, and the cursor would stay on the screen until you double-tap (or lift and then re-tap) to choose the egg the cursor is over.

Oh well, that's enough for now. It's clear that Apple needs to bridge the enormous gap between touch screen and TV screen somehow. I just hope they worked it all out years ago, and that they're just putting the finishing touches on the whole thing. Otherwise it's back to the drawing board...
  • Reply 84 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

That does not imply however that it is perfect.

Frankly I've never doubted demand, just walking by an Apple store should demonstrate public demand. Corporate demand is almost strange as the device would seem to be far outside most corporate infrastruture and purchasing policies.

They have their point if view. Obviously a view that has to be adjusted from time to time.

However their position is no less credible than the users that plug their heads in the sand and deny the serious short comings that iPad has. To publicly declare iPad to be perfect or suitable for any use is foolish at the very least.

Some of the concerns expressed are very valid, you cannot rationally deny the points.

For example cameras. Personally I don't see a rear facng camera as being all that useful. A front facing Facetime camera is another story altogether. That is a personal reconsideration for me after more info on FaceTime has become available. Facetime is a far bigger deal than many will want to admit to thus the neeed to support a suitable camera.

To deny that the iPad is short on RAM is to publically say one is technically illiterate. It is more significant than the lack of a camera as far as technical limitations go That RAM shortage directly impacts CURRENT software as well as future software. IPhone 4 pretty much proves the point here.

At least we aren't viewing the world throuyh rose colored glasses!!!

Besides we aren't telling you or anybody else for that matter not to buy the thing. That is up to the individual, what we are pointing out is why we have not purchased one yet. Notice I said "yet" there, it would take very little on Apples part to get me to buy something slightly improved.

Obviously not!

However the iPad platform is not a cell phone nor a laptop. As such it needs a different focus and capability mix to get many of us to buy. In some cases Apple has recognized this by unbundling hardware that should been built in (camera connection kit). Profits are pretty steep on iPad as it is, so forgive me if I express outragecat feeding Apple anymore money a $2.00 SD slot.

The unfortunate thing is that people like you seem to taje that as an indication of hate for the product to which I would suggest waking up. It is really an expression of desire or even lust combined with a little rational thinking about our personal needs. IPad is one slick device but it is not a hammer for every nail. Understanding that will lead to a better appreciation for the desires expressed by others.

Dave

in regards to the RAM limitation you mention - I think you are overestimating the importance. lots of "experts" were claiming that multitasking would not make it to the generation 1 iPad - glad to see Steve finally demoed it in the keynote so all those "experts" can shut up please.

And the developers from epic games were saying how the flash ram used for storage is actually able to be used almost like RAM, enabling them to do much more than people thought possible. Look up yesterdays reports on them.
  • Reply 85 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mooch View Post

Not that it matters, but I have checked a dictionary, and it doesn't say anything of the sort.

It says very much of the sort. I've checked several dictionaries, all agree on the primary usage.

allege |əˈlej|

verb [ reporting verb ]

claim or assert that someone has done something illegal or wrong, typically without proof that this is the case : [with clause ] he alleged that he had been assaulted | [ trans. ] the offenses are alleged to have been committed outside the woman's home | he is alleged to have assaulted five men.

• (usu. be alleged) suppose or affirm to be the case : the first artifact ever alleged to be from Earhart's aircraft.

ORIGIN Middle English (in the sense [declare on oath] ): from Old French esligier, based on Latin lis, lit- ‘lawsuit’ ; confused in sense with Latin allegare ‘allege.’

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

I checked the dictionary before I answered the first time, because I wanted to be sure that my opinion was correct. Here you go with the link and the content...

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/alleged

Definition of ALLEGED

1: asserted to be true or to exist <an alleged miracle>

2: questionably true or of a specified kind : supposed, so-called <bought an alleged antique vase>

3: accused but not proven or convicted <an alleged burglar>

Note that of the 3 variants of the definition in the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, only the last one implies any sort of wrongdoing. They all imply a question of truth.

How is it possible that you didn't check a dictionary before telling me to go do so?

Thompson

As above. I also looked in the Merriam Webster Collegiate dictionary and Webster's Unabridged. All confirm that the word denotes wrongdoing. All of the sample uses of the word you linked related to legal matters or wrongdoing.

For example, while it makes perfect sense to speak of a person as an alleged bank robber or even an alleged jaywalker, it makes little literal sense to refer to someone as an alleged teacher.
  • Reply 86 of 130
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    One should also be correct.

Apple dictionary:

(of an incident or a person) said, without proof, to have taken place OR...

There is nothing in the article that seems to conflict with this definition. In fact just about every thing in these forums fits the definition.

Dave

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

It's not technically correct. The word means to accuse of wrongdoing. You can check a dictionary if you don't believe me. The word gets misused a lot (especially in AI articles), but frequent misuse doesn't change a word's meaning. But the real point is, like so many other improperly used words, they quickly turn into crutches. A fancy-sounding word may be satisfying to type, but if it doesn't convey the intended meaning, then another should be selected.

• Reply 87 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

One should also be correct.

Apple dictionary:

(of an incident or a person) said, without proof, to have taken place OR...

There is nothing in the article that seems to conflict with this definition. In fact just about every thing in these forums fits the definition.

Dave

I quoted the Apple dictionary in full above. You selectively quoted it to leave out the key words in the definition (illegal, wrong). Describing everything that may or may not be true as an allegation is a poor choice of words, because of what the word denotes in best usage. If you used the word this way in a manuscript or paper, any editor worth their salt would underline it and suggest that you find a word to better convey your meaning. That's all I'm trying to say here.
  • Reply 88 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

Car trip to Sedona and back, with 2 kids. Five hours EACH WAY.

Same experience. iPad rocks.

Thompson

Ahh... Red Rock country. Sedona Rocks too.

We used to live in Tucson, and several times would take trips to Northern AZ and over to Northern NM to follow the fall color change.

Indescribably beautiful!

Save a day for Canyon De Chelly!

http://www.google.com/images?client=...w=1157&bih=908

Dick Applebaum... alias Kokopelli

• Reply 89 of 130
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    After all they advertised at intro that an updated iOS was coming to the platform later in the year.

However having the feature and it being viable are two different things. By its very nature mukti tasking requires more RAM. It is no different than the performance of a 3GS when put up against iPhone 4.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by IOSWeekly View Post

in regards to the RAM limitation you mention - I think you are overestimating the importance. lots of "experts" were claiming that multitasking would not make it to the generation 1 iPad - glad to see Steve finally demoed it in the keynote so all those "experts" can shut up please.

I don't think anybody with even a modest understanding of computer system will stop complaining. The issue is based on technical realities. It is one thing to not understand the tech but it is far sillier to then reference the words of a marketing guru.

Quote:

And the developers from epic games were saying how the flash ram used for storage

Your arguement falls apart here because flash isn't RAM. In fact it is significantly different than RAM.

Quote:

is actually able to be used almost like RAM, enabling them to do much more than people thought possible. Look up yesterdays reports on them.

I don't have to look up anything because I underdtand what he is trying to say. In effect the flash storage on the iPad is a much faster bit of secondary storage than a traditional hard disk.

That is great for apps that need to loadchunks of data into RAM. However a lot of apps currently don't do that or can't. Safari for example crashes when a large file download is attempted. In the absence of virtual memory, sometimes the only good solution is more RAM.

More RAM is important in three regards:

Enables smoother multitasking.

Enables new classses of apps not currently viable.

Improves the capability of current apps to function with out limitations on data sizes

A comment on those data size limitations. IPad currently has like 120MB available to an app. Some of that goes to code. So usable data space is less, thus doubling RAM makes for far more data space than many first think. You can still run out of course but far more things can happen before that.

Dave
  • Reply 90 of 130
    The iPad will continue to dominate the tablet market until someone else Microsoft, or Google, or even HP/Palm developes a proper tablet OS. Let's be really honest here NO ONE was even considering tablets until Apple was runored to be releasing one, and now that they've done so everybody wants a piece of the pie.
  • Reply 91 of 130
    Wizard, but all that sounds like you are directly comparing Apple mobile iOS devices to a regular computer (mac or windows) And that is wrong cause a regular computer has to load a full operating system and has to perform way more applications at the same time. Lots of RAM on computer has been great, no doubt about it, but iOS is not Snow Leopard or Windows and do not run on intel chip. Also the SDK allows developers to really get the most from the optimized hardware designed specifically for it.

An iPad is not a computer so it doesn't have to use the same methods or structure. Flash RAM is way more faster. Even used as storage allow developers to pre load stuff on it and deliver a snappy performance in their apps.

Applications that run on iOS IMHO do not have to ask nothing to regular ones found on snow leopard considering the platform and hardware. Your argument fits better applications running on windows 7 mobile that it does carry x86 atoms that share same architecture as W7.

The iPad is a great success cause Apple took the time to study their options and develop the best one that could allow the kind of experience they wanted. I never had a buggy app running on my iPhone, iPod touch or friends iPad.

Regarding multitasking Apple was always straight forward about it, they where concern about battery live. When they finally got their own processor and the software tuned up for it, then they released it allowing the developer to incorporate it in their app that impact the user experience. All this done with relentless execution, quality and elegance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Atom

wiki about iOS:

Multitasking

Before iOS 4, multitasking was limited to a selection of the applications Apple included on the devices.[17] Apple worried that running multiple third-party applications simultaneously would drain batteries too quickly. Starting with iOS 4, on 3rd-generation and newer iOS devices, multitasking is supported through seven background APIs:[18]
  • Reply 92 of 130
    Quote:

IAll confirm that the word denotes wrongdoing. All of the sample uses of the word you linked related to legal matters or wrongdoing.

Dr Millmoss,

I just posted for you an example of 2 (count them, TWO) usages of the word ALLEGED from the Merriam-Webster dictionary online that have nothing to do with wrongdoing or legal matters. I even gave the link. Here are the two again:

1: asserted to be true or to exist <an alleged miracle>

Note the example is about a miracle, which may be unproven.

2: questionably true or of a specified kind : supposed, so-called <bought an alleged antique vase>

Note the example is about an alleged antique vase, which may or may not be so.

Subsequently, I searched several other dictionaries, figuring that perhaps you had stumbled upon one that ONLY gave the one definition that you are hanging your hat on. The PRIMARY definition of the word in most places is that someone is making an assertion that has yet to be proven.

At http://www.thefreedictionary.com/allegedly

Represented as existing or as being described but not so proved: supposed.

http://www.wordreference.com/definition/alleged

alleged

A\tadjective

1 \talleged

\t\tdeclared but not proved; "alleged abuses of housing benefits"- Wall Street Journal

2 \talleged(a), so-called, supposed

\t\tdoubtful or suspect; "these so-called experts are no help"

Mooch's Source (which he did not provide, but probably could if asked):

al·leged 

1. declared or stated to be as described; asserted:

2. doubtful; suspect; supposed:

Apparently, you believe that the Apple dictionary is the authority, so I checked that too. For the word "allege", I see what you saw, which included this example:

"the first artifact ever alleged to be from Earhart's aircraft"

Whoever made this allegation (i.e. that the artifact came from Earhart's aircraft) is not accusing the artifact (or Earhart, or anyone else) of having done anything wrong. No. In this case, someone made a statement of fact that has yet to be proven. They alleged it to be so. Valid usage. Just like AI in the story above.

Note: by the way, you should type in the word "alleged" with the extra "D" at the end into Apple's Dictionary. You'll see even more proof.

The bottom line is that I can point to NUMEROUS sources which show that the word alleged is MORE general than you have allowed here, and that it is compatible with the usage on AI. Even your example from Apple's dictionary allowed for that.

PEACE TO YOU: As I mentioned in my original response, while it is technically correct to use "alleged" in its generic form, common usage has evolved to where it typically bears the connotation that you are alleging. :-)

So I say again: AI is technically correct, but I can see why you might think otherwise.

Thompson
  • Reply 93 of 130
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

If Steve Ballmer, Bill Gates and their beloved Windows fanboys aren't crying now, then I don't know what would make them cry. I think Microsoft investors will be crying next. Two million iPads being sold a month is nothing to sneeze at. People keep saying "iPad=meh". Damn. In any business, that would be a very impressive number. I'm an Apple diehard of almost thirty-odd years and I can't even imagine Apple selling 3 million iPads a month. That is some awesome number. The main thing I hope about all this is that it is seriously cutting into netbook OEM Windows licenses.

With Microsoft not selling any mobile OS, weak corporate Windows sales and now with consumers possibly switching from Windows netbooks to tablets of all sorts, Microsoft has got to be reeling. I wonder if Ballmer is still mouthing off about rounding errors. Tablets would seem to be getting into Microsoft's kitchen and there is no way in the world consumers are going to be buying any Windows 7 Desktop tablet in quantity. Absolutely no way at all. Apple and Google have effectively cut the bottom end out of Microsoft Windows sales. It's not going to take down Microsoft quickly, but they have to be scared if corporations start shifting to tablets in place of Windows laptops.

I want to live to see the day that pundits shut the hell up about there needing to be a Windows-licensed computer on every man, woman and child's desk in the world. That is just pure crap. It was never necessary and it never will be. It might have been Bill Gates dream of greed and control, but that's about as far as it went. If Apple can do an end run around Windows in corporations using tablets, then that will truly be an epic event.

Pan AM ... TWA ... one day soon ... Microsoft
  • Reply 94 of 130
    No, I don't think the Apple dictionary is authoritative, which is why I looked it up in two others. They all say the same thing about primary usage. I'm not going to continue this debate, which if it goes on, is only going to bore the people it doesn't infuriate. The original comment was stated entirely as an editorial remark about a poorly chosen word which is used frequently in AI articles. You can take it or leave it. I really don't care which choice you make.
  • Reply 95 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

I think you might be disappointed if you buy the device as a family computer...

Like the other iOS devices it isn't really feasible to just buy an iPad. Without a Mac or PC running iTunes you are in a very uncomfortable position. I suppose one could use a public PC to activate the iPad (assuming it had iTunes installed, etc) but it is almost certain there would also be a family computer present at home and one person would be the main user of the iPad. I've lent my iPad to my brother a few times but changing all the logins back is annoying. It really is a personal device.
  • Reply 96 of 130
    Quote:

No, I don't think the Apple dictionary is authoritative, which is why I looked it up in two others. They all say the same thing about primary usage. I'm not going to continue this debate, which if it goes on, is only going to bore the people it doesn't infuriate. The original comment was stated entirely as an editorial remark about a poorly chosen word which is used frequently in AI articles. You can take it or leave it. I really don't care which choice you make.

Dr Millmoss,

We are engaged in a question of a fact, one which is very easily resolved by checking a dictionary. Every dictionary I find provides for more general meaning of the word "alleged" than you will allow, including the dictionary that you offered up as your source. Many of the dictionaries have the general case as the primary meaning. I've given you several examples, and I'm sure that you can't provide an example of a dictionary that would definitively support your argument against AI for using the word. The only source you did give (Apple's) supported my case with the "artifact" example.

If it is this difficult to get you to concede a point on a question of fact when we have everything we need for resolution, then I can only imagine what it would be like trying to debate you on a matter that is less clear cut. For example, the things we talk about here daily.

I even tried to give you an out in my last message by suggesting that the common usage has evolved and that you are just going with that. But no, you persist. I am reminded of an episode on Happy Days where Fonzie had a hell of a time saying that he was "wr... wr.... wr..."

I will most definitely never attempt to debate with you on any future topic. I recommend others adopt the same attitude in order not to waste their time.

Thompson
  • Reply 97 of 130
    It is not a matter of fact, it is a matter of rhetoric, which has to do with using words which best convey intended meanings. It was an editorial opinion. You are entitled to disagree for whatever reasons you have. I don't need an "out," thank you.

I guess you didn't believe me when I said I am done debating this. It's true, and I am.
  • Reply 98 of 130
    Quote:

It's not technically correct. The word means to accuse of wrongdoing. You can check a dictionary if you don't believe me. The word gets misused a lot (especially in AI articles), but frequent misuse doesn't change a word's meaning. But the real point is, like so many other improperly used words, they quickly turn into crutches. A fancy-sounding word may be satisfying to type, but if it doesn't convey the intended meaning, then another should be selected.

No matter how many times you repeat yourself you are overstating your case. One of the meanings is "accuse of wrongdoing", but a dictionary also provides as a first definition "to assert without proof". I'm not at home so I can't check the OED but allege sounds like the right verb for a rumor site.
  • Reply 99 of 130
    Seems to me that even the older folk are becoming computer savvy. I'm 55 and I would say it's unlikely anyone my age or younger would have a problem with a computer. Most likely have one. I'm confident you could go older still and that would still be the case.

Frankly, I hate the idea of my only device being an iPad. It's not how this works. The beauty of the iPad is that not having to be a full-function computer, it doesn't need to have massive memory, lots of connection options, and so on and so on. By being a streamlined device it can be something very important for a handheld device -- LIGHT.

Considering it's so affordable, the iPad is an outstanding compliment to a full-function computing device. Turning it into a computer replacement is not, I think, where this should go.
  • Reply 100 of 130
    Quote:

It is not a matter of fact, it is a matter of rhetoric, which has to do with using words which best convey intended meanings. It was an editorial opinion. You are entitled to disagree for whatever reasons you have. I don't need an "out," thank you.

I guess you didn't believe me when I said I am done debating this. It's true, and I am.

Dr Millmoss,

You began this subthread claiming that the word "allegedly" could only be used in a manner other than how AI used it. Subsequently, at least four people provided sources that said otherwise (including yourself!) That would have been the time to say, "I stand corrected".

Just because you say you are done with a debate does not obligate me likewise.

Thompson