Apple releases iOS 4.1 with Bluetooth, proximity sensor fixes

Comments

• Reply 61 of 130
    All done. Loving the HDR.

This iP4's camera capabilities are getting closer to those of my Sony compact for general snaps.

Looking good
  • Reply 62 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

You have been such an ass about everything Apple, why the hell should we help you now?

Fine. I tried to be nice to the children here but what's the use. I should have said what I really thought. And here it is:

Oh! An update for the iPhone 3G? Well how nice. My old 3G has been hobbled for months and Apple has finally gotten off their collected asses and fixed their screw up? What, they finally got their A team off of the stupid Ping project and got them on something important, like fixing their flagship product?

Apple should be ashamed of themselves and their inability to execute anything.
  • Reply 63 of 130
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    iOS 4.1 seems to be running just fine. HDR works fairly well but haven't really run it through its paces. It seems to improve shadow detail less than some of the 3rd party apps and may be creating HDR photos with slightly more natural looking colors as well. I could give a krap about Game Center though. Just. Don't. Care.
  • Reply 64 of 130
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

So, you don't like the idea that you were beta testing for a company for a piece of software you got for free?

hmmm, can't say he was beta testing. Apple should have just allowed a downgrade from 4.0 for 3G users... but now it's all better for those with 16 month old phones. [so ancient!]
  • Reply 65 of 130
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Fine. I tried to be nice to the children here but what's the use. I should have said what I really thought. And here it is:

Oh! An update for the iPhone 3G? Well how nice. My old 3G has been hobbled for months and Apple has finally gotten off their collected asses and fixed their screw up? What, they finally got their A team off of the stupid Ping project and got them on something important, like fixing their flagship product?

I hope Google is paying you a lot for your time. You seem to be spending quite a lot of energy and effort in the forums here. And not because you're an Apple fan.

But whatever. If you're getting paid, a buck is a buck and it's a free country. If you're not getting paid, you're helping build traffic to one of the premiere pro-Apple web sites.

Keep up the good "work."
  • Reply 66 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

I am truly an Apple fan, but I have to comment again how bad they screwed this one up. There are MILLIONS of 3g users out there who have used a product that was broken for 4 months? Take for example Monopoly. I love playing this game on my phone, but it has been almost unplayable since the upgrade. Consistent memory errors, very slow, and crashed about every 4 times playing it. Don't even get me started about trying to play my music through the game. Now since the upgrade the game has NO errors, never crashes (at least not the 5 times I have played since upgrading), and is downright fast.

People will say be happy? No, they should not release software upgrades that literally break the phone. Unacceptable. My hope is they will learn from this gaff. I love apple, but very disappointed I had to use a crappy phone since the upgrade. For those who say I should have gone back are missing the point.
  • Reply 67 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JohnnyKrz View Post

If this is exactly the same as the GM, which I believe it would be, then the proximity sensor has not been fixed. In fact, I think it is a little worse than the 4.1 beta 3.

Yeah, I've held off complaining, because of NDA, but the proximity sensor on iPhone4 is still terrible. You move it just a little and the screen comes back on. On the plus side, it's a fun game of roulette to see if I'll figure out why the other person suddenly can't hear me before they hang up. Or, to sometimes discover that I'm in the middle of adding another person to the call.
  • Reply 69 of 130
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdj21ya View Post

Yeah, I've held off complaining, because of NDA, but the proximity sensor on iPhone4 is still terrible. You move it just a little and the screen comes back on. On the plus side, it's a fun game of roulette to see if I'll figure out why the other person suddenly can't hear me before they hang up. Or, to sometimes discover that I'm in the middle of adding another person to the call.

Hmm, I've been using the GM seed since last week on my iPhone 4 and I haven't once had the proximity sensor issue crop up. It was REALLY bad before and I would either mute/end calls about 4 or five times per day.

Since going to 4.1 GM last week, I haven't had a single issue.
  • Reply 70 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

hmmm, can't say he was beta testing. Apple should have just allowed a downgrade from 4.0 for 3G users... but now it's all better for those with 16 month old phones. [so ancient!]

I thought first revisions of hardware / software that leave Apple's doors and into customers' hands were Beta products... I guess I was wrong.
  • Reply 71 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rpomerenk View Post

IT DID NOT FIX A THING!

My proximity sensor is still putting everyone on hold, mute, and dialing numbers in their ear.

Really annoying. I hope everyone will take the time to go to support.apple.com or bugreport.apple.com to make sure it registers with them that this does not fix the proximity sensor issue.

I'm really frustrated that they would hold this out there for people--I'm sure some people have even bought the phone trusting Apple's word that they'd be fixing the problems.

You really have to question their testing process when a "fix" is released for this high profile issue without actually doing anything to fix the problem. Do the testers possibly all have some sort of bizarre ear shape that actually works with the iPhone 4 sensor?
  • Reply 72 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Hmm, I've been using the GM seed since last week on my iPhone 4 and I haven't once had the proximity sensor issue crop up. It was REALLY bad before and I would either mute/end calls about 4 or five times per day.

Since going to 4.1 GM last week, I haven't had a single issue.

I'm glad to hear it has helped someone. Maybe it's both a software issue and then also a hardware problem for some?
  • Reply 73 of 130
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bagman View Post

What do you mean by performance increase? Does it still take forever to load, which is a sign of bloatware (at least on my WinXP PC)? Thanks.

That's exactly what I mean - what else could it mean?

Faster launching, more responsive.
  • Reply 74 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techapocalypse View Post

Is HDR worth breaking jailbreak?

What about bug fixes, security updates, performance increase and othet tracks across the board? OS updates are about more than new features...
  • Reply 75 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rpomerenk View Post

IT DID NOT FIX A THING!

My proximity sensor is still putting everyone on hold, mute, and dialing numbers in their ear.

Return yr device then, it's defective.
  • Reply 76 of 130
    jpcgjpcg Posts: 114member
    I have had some pretty bad proximity issues in the past so I was very exited about this update.

I have found that the proximity sensor problem is pretty much fixed for me. I did notice though that now the proximity sensor emits a redish light when the applications enables it. I don't know if that happened on 4.0 but I just noticed it after updating.

I will try to take a good picture of it and post it here..
  • Reply 76 of 130
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdj21ya View Post

I'm glad to hear it has helped someone. Maybe it's both a software issue and then also a hardware problem for some?

I really don't know, but I'm sorry you're having issues. It was getting to be maddening for me. I'd be talking to someone, then all of a sudden I'd hear on the other line "Hello, hello, you there". And the damn thing would be on mute.

I really wish I had something insightful to add, but all I can say is that my iPhone 4 works (thank goodness).
  • Reply 78 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Peymon View Post

Downloaded , it took 17 min to download and another 6 to 8 min to install and back up.

Game center was installed and HDR looks very impressive..

No issues encountered

why so long? mine took less than 5 minutes for the whole process.
  • Reply 79 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pennywse View Post

I am truly an Apple fan, but I have to comment again how bad they screwed this one up. There are MILLIONS of 3g users out there who have used a product that was broken for 4 months? Take for example Monopoly. I love playing this game on my phone, but it has been almost unplayable since the upgrade. Consistent memory errors, very slow, and crashed about every 4 times playing it. Don't even get me started about trying to play my music through the game. Now since the upgrade the game has NO errors, never crashes (at least not the 5 times I have played since upgrading), and is downright fast.

People will say be happy? No, they should not release software upgrades that literally break the phone. Unacceptable. My hope is they will learn from this gaff. I love apple, but very disappointed I had to use a crappy phone since the upgrade. For those who say I should have gone back are missing the point.

Lol. Millions of people used a broken device? I don't think so.

If yr device was broken, you should have returned it. Millions of people with a 'broken' device would have made one very large noise in the media.
  • Reply 80 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

why so long? mine took less than 5 minutes for the whole process.

Because we all have different quality of net connection and server load at the time we download the update.