Apple adds FaceTime video chat support to the Mac

Comments

• Reply 41 of 86
    Has anyone had any trouble verifying their e-mail? The ID server, not surprisingly is getting hammered. Guess I should wait few hours. Damn I was really looking forward to Facetime since it first announced.
  • Reply 42 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

I guess that's what I was wondering...is it the AppleID that makes the connection (ie, my friend needs to know my AppleID and have it in his Address Book) or can they use the email address(es) they already have for me. It sounds like it's the latter, which is good (as long as I can give Apple multiple email address since not everyone I associate with uses the same email address to contact me).

The protocol uses your e-mail address
  • Reply 43 of 86
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by damians View Post

The protocol uses your e-mail address

Great. Now I just need to figure out why my iSight camera isn't working (or go buy a web cam).
  • Reply 44 of 86
    Have you tried seeing if it works in photobooth?
  • Reply 45 of 86
    Ok... trying like hell to run FaceTime on my Mac, but all I get is the spinning wheel forever when I try to sign in.
  • Reply 46 of 86
    At first blush, this looks like a stripped-down version of iChat or Skype. Not sure I see any immediate advantages, unless the protocol goes more global. Windows, for a start. Or maybe I'm missing something. Anything?
  • Reply 47 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Ok... trying like hell to run FaceTime on my Mac, but all I get is the spinning wheel forever when I try to sign in.

Yeah, Apple's servers are getting hammered hard, even if you make it pass the sign. You probably won't be able to verify your apple ID. I've been trying for 90 mins.
  • Reply 48 of 86
    Quote:

Have you verified the account with the e-mail link? Took me a couple of tries.
  • Reply 49 of 86
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

Different purposes, Unix philosophy. Facetime is video chat. iChat is text chat. I think the brand FaceTime makes it profitable to execute the each tool does it's job well idea rather than just bury ever more features into the same wrapper.

iChat does video too.

By the way, has anyone tried Mac to Mac Facetime?
  • Reply 50 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Have you verified the account with the e-mail link? Took me a couple of tries.

That what I've been trying to do. Traffic finally lighted up enough to let me do it.I'm still waiting on Facetime though to finish the verification process. I have the lovely spinner to look at while i wait. But it beta so hopefully it will improve.
  • Reply 51 of 86
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:

At first blush, this looks like a stripped-down version of iChat or Skype. Not sure I see any immediate advantages, unless the protocol goes more global. Windows, for a start. Or maybe I'm missing something. Anything?

Let's see. Call yourself on your iPhone 4 or new touch, put it on the back camera, and point it at your computer's camera. You see screens within screens, receding into infinity, and hear echoes receding into the wifi matrix. What does it all mean? I don't know.

But turn down the volume a ways to avoid nasty feedback.
  • Reply 52 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Let's see. Call yourself on your iPhone 4 or new touch, put it on the back camera, and point it at your computer's camera. You see screens within screens, receding into infinity, and hear echoes receding into the wifi matrix. What does it all mean? I don't know.

But turn down the volume a ways to avoid nasty feedback.

I was able to initiate a FaceTime call from my Mac to my iPhone 4 like this... weird. But how do you initiate a call from the iPhone to the mac?
  • Reply 53 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheFatWookie View Post

I was able to initiate a FaceTime call from my Mac to my iPhone 4 like this... weird. But how do you initiate a call from the iPhone to the mac?

You have two different email addresses, right, one on the phone and one on the computer? Once you call one with the other, you add the other to the contact list, and they can each call the other. I've done it both ways now.

But I didn't see a way to manually add my touch as a contact on the Mac. I had to call the Mac with the touch to add the contact. Yes it is weird.
  • Reply 54 of 86
    Quote:

Give us a holler when you find out!
  • Reply 55 of 86
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    ...a realtime view of the back of my head. my neck needs shaving.
  • Reply 56 of 86
    Quote:

Give us a holler when you find out!

Are you sure? I'll work on it tonight . . .

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

...a realtime view of the back of my head. my neck needs shaving.

First breakthrough application!
  • Reply 57 of 86
    Quote:

Are you sure? I'll work on it tonight . . .

Okay, maybe I didn't mean that literally. But you work on it anyway.
  • Reply 58 of 86
    Quote:

Ok... I have a new iPod Touch. I have a Mac. With ONE Apple ID, how on Earth do I FaceTime from my iPod to my Mac!?

Set up a second apple ID tied to a different email address
  • Reply 59 of 86
    yahoo.............

(As in the cowboy yell of joy, not the crappy internet company who can't figure out how to effectively update their own IM software)

Mac to Mac works great, Mac to iPhone works great. My kid's on the east coast and I'm going to wake his butt up and tell him to go install it.

Ditto for the gf (for much different reasons)

P

Wish list:

Windows version

Publish the open standard

Talk Yahoo into integrating this into their IM client (...less likely since I dissed them above)

Android app of FaceTime
  • Reply 60 of 86
    Refuses to install on this OSX.5.8. It says I'm missing Security Patch 2010-005 and to check with Software Update. Done that. I'm up to date. Restarted the Mac. Facetime still refuses to install because "You're missing an imprtant Security Patch 2010-005", etc....

But if you want Facetime (Beta) for Mac, get it here.