HP releasing $799 Slate 500 to take on iPad in tablet market

Comments

• Reply 341 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LuisDias View Post

Actually, I long for the old 4:3 monitors. I really hate this stupid fad of 16:9, as if we would all be seeing movies all the time with our laptops and desktops. The screen of my laptop just feels cropped at the top.

Agreed. 4:3 is a much better aspect ratio for doing anything other than watching movies. Unfortunately, the monitor industry transitioned to 16:9 for two basic reasons:
    1. For a given diagonal dimension (which is how monitors are marketed) a 16:9 monitor has less surface area than a 4:3 or 16:10 monitor, and therefore is cheaper to manufacture.

2. For larger size monitors, monitor vendors want to use panels for multiple purposes. 16:9 panels could be used to make LCD TVs as well as computer monitors.

Computer monitors should really be marketed based on viewable surface area instead of the diagonal dimension.

Note that HP Slate with a 8.9" screen has only 65% of the viewable surface area compared to an iPad with 9.7" screen.
  • Reply 342 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appl View Post

Yep. The Air seems much better compared to the iPad. It will run real software, for example.

But it still has insufficient disk space for general purpose use. If you have NAS, and don't mind cooling your heels while stuff downloads, it could be sufficient, however.

Where can one get a copy of this real software that runs on Windows?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vomkNSluWW4

http://www.proloquo2go.com/About/article/ipad

Or this?

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/star-...63486802?mt=8#

Or this?

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/3d-br...331399332?mt=8

It s extremely difficult to carry on an intelligent conversation with one who rejects something out of hand because it does not measure up to his preconceived ideas.

Watch the video in the first link and tell me how real a $199 piece of software is to someone who needs it.

You can put together a total solution, using iOS, costing $400 - $700.

A comparable solution for a real OS costs $7,000 - $20,000.

That's the reality of life!

• Reply 343 of 433
    applappl Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Therein lies perhaps the "mistake" HP has made. They haven't made an iPad competitor, they've made a netbook competitor.

According to Apple Insider, Apple has made an iPad competitor with the new Air Mini:

"similar to the iPad, but running the full Mac OS X...

... This injects some competition between the ... iPad and the .. MacBook [Air].

...a new definition of notebook that overlaps in many respects with the iPad... "

I see no mistakes by either company. The overlap is great.

Are fewer choices a better idea? Must a tablet have a cellphone OS? I give both of those a resounding NO!
  • Reply 344 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Watch the video in the first link and tell me how real a $199 piece of software is to someone who needs it.

It is true that the word "real" can be used in either the sense that I used it in, or alternatively, the sense that you used it in.

I don't think we have any argument about that. And I think that the app you highlighted is great.

I remember back in the early days of the PalmOS devices. It was amazing that all sorts of folks wrote little programs that helped niche users. It is good to see that such a thing is being carried on by iOS developers, even in this day and age.
  • Reply 345 of 433
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

According to Apple Insider, Apple has made an iPad competitor with the new Air Mini:

"similar to the iPad, but running the full Mac OS X...

... This injects some competition between the ... iPad and the .. MacBook [Air].

...a new definition of notebook that overlaps in many respects with the iPad... "

I see no mistakes by either company. Why is having only one choice a better idea? Why must a tablet have a cellphone OS?

I think you've been confused by the fact that other vendors are offering "cell phone OSes" because they don't' have a desktop client (Android, RIM) or can't shoehorn legacy OS into the hardware (Windows).

iOS is OS X with a touch UI and the appropriate I/O stacks, there's nothing whatsoever diminished or limited or "toyish" about it. Apple will have no problem scaling functionality as the hardware becomes more powerful, but Apple, at least, understands that matching the software to the hardware makes for a better user experience.

I look forward to you steadily redefining "real computing" steadily upward as the iPad grows more capable, until you're insisting that until it can do 3D modeling and real time HD editing it remains a crippled toy.
  • Reply 346 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I look forward to you steadily redefining "real computing" steadily upward as the iPad grows more capable, until you're insisting that until it can do 3D modeling and real time HD editing it remains a crippled toy.

Good to know that you are such a dedicated fan!

BTW, you'll be looking forward for a good long time if you're waiting to see steady redefinitions.

Enjoy!
  • Reply 347 of 433
    Quote:

The iPad sells for as much as 3 times the price of a netbook. Is it worth three times the cost of a netbook?

When other tablets have a real OS?

Is it worth 3x the cost of netbook?

For me, hell yes!

I bought a Dell Mini-9 to Hackintosh it. I wanted something more portable than always taking my 13inch MacBook.

Once I got the Dell Mini 9, I hated it. The trackpad was crap, and the keyboard was too cramped. So, I left it as a Windows machine.

After I bought my iPad it quickly become the most used computing device in our house.

It freed me from the shackles of my desktop, and from the inconvenience of balancing my MacBook on my chest or legs when I used it in bed or on the couch.

With the iPad, I:

* do all casual browsing/email through it

* read training PDFs through CloudReader

* read saved files in my desktop Yojimbo

* collaborate with others using Evernote

* watch training videos through GoodReader

* stream training videos from desktop external drive, using Air Server

* Login to my desktop remotely using Logmein. Leaving PhotoBooth on also lets me check my office remotely

* With Line2, I can have phone calls go to the iPad

Doing the above with my iPad allows me to spend less time at my iMac. I use it mainly for Final Cut Pro, creating Screencasts, and Programming.

So, while I initially hoped that the iPad would have full OS X, I am more than happy with it the way it is now. It's fast and lets me get my work done quickly.

Would it be suitable for my only computer? Not at all.

Would it be suitable for my wife's and children's only computer? Yes.

There is no perfect device for everybody.

As an aside, I saw my first Windows Tablet back in 2006. I met with a client who had a Windows Tablet, and I was using a Windows laptop. It was so inefficient it wasn't funny. He hated it, but that's what they used at his work (a hospital)
  • Reply 348 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ltcompuser View Post

I bought a Dell Mini-9 to Hackintosh it. ...

So, while I initially hoped that the iPad would have full OS X, ...

It sounds to me like the new Air Mini is the best machine for you. The Dell Mini 9 never really caught on, likely for many of the reasons you cite. (The Mini 10, OTOH, is extremely popular).

So the Air Mini 11 is likely a great choice for you. It seems like a high-quality netbook to me, with some very nice aspects, despite having some storage issues.

But if you have NAS, and if you remember to load it with content before you leave home, it might be perfect.
  • Reply 349 of 433
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

BTW, you'll be looking forward for a good long time if you're waiting to see steady redefinitions.

Enjoy!

Doesn't require the least bit of fandom to see how specious your posts generally are. I don't own an iPad because I already have a MacBook Pro and portability isn't a primary concern for me. Nevertheless, anyone who's paying attention understands that iOS is a touch friendly subset of OS X. Dismissing it as a "phone OS" is merely ignorant.
  • Reply 350 of 433
    Quote:

It sounds to me like the new Air Mini is the best machine for you. The Dell Mini 9 never really caught on, likely for many of the reasons you cite. (The Mini 10, OTOH, is extremely popular).

So the Air Mini 11 is likely a great choice for you. It seems like a high-quality netbook to me, with some very nice aspects, despite having some storage issues.

The new MacBook Air would have been a great choice before the iPad came out.

However, I prefer the tablet form factor. It's easier to use and having used a mouse for 25 or so years, I'm not a big trackpad fan. I have a Magic Mouse and Magic Trackpad and I use the mouse 90% of the time when I'm on that system.

And, a HUGE advantage of the iPad vs MacBook or MacBook Air is the no contract 3G. I simply get the data when I'm travelling. No need for a USB stick and a contract.

The only things I can't do with my iPad that I wish I could would be to use Facetime and stream my iTunes library. Those disadvantages aren't that major though.
  • Reply 351 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I think you've been confused by the fact that other vendors are offering "cell phone OSes" because they don't' have a desktop client (Android, RIM) or can't shoehorn legacy OS into the hardware (Windows).

iOS is OS X with a touch UI and the appropriate I/O stacks, there's nothing whatsoever diminished or limited or "toyish" about it. Apple will have no problem scaling functionality as the hardware becomes more powerful, but Apple, at least, understands that matching the software to the hardware makes for a better user experience.

It's been a while, but I JailBroke an original iPhone and (with help and apps from others) I was able to:

-- Install Apache and use an iPhone as a web server

-- play all the popular A/V codecs that were discussed in the VCL banter

-- stream any of thousands of videos available on the web

http://idude.org/2007/11/07/an-iphon...rver-with-php/

As a developer, I can tell you that the iOS version of OS X is very similar to the Mac version of OS X. They are the same OS. iOS has things that are unnecessary for a touch removed -- and replaced by things that make sense for the device. With each release, the two OS Xs become more and more similar and share more and more common code, Frameworks and APIs.

In fact, many things developed for the iDevices are being ported back to the Mac -- Location Services and Notification Services to name 2.

In addition, Apple is taking the opportunity to take legacy Mac OS X code from Next -- and [re]implement it the way it should have been done for iOS. This code is then migrated back into the OS X mothership.

Finally, there has been some preliminary talk of porting the open-source Blender3D app to the iPad -- the big deterrent appears to be the small 10" screen size.

But, others have done some interesting things, such as:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/finge...376028507?mt=8

But, of course, @appl will call this a niche cellophane applet program running on a cellphone OS.

Yes, @appl has been here before -- and soon will reappear using a different pseudonym.

• Reply 352 of 433
    Quote:

I use my laptop for all that stuff. To watch a movie, I double-click the name of the movie. To play a game, I click on the name of the game. I have stuff in logical places in the file system, and I use shortcuts and the built-in libraries to get to the meat in seconds.

Sure you do, just like everyone else. And it's great for a laptop. I'm not even saying that the iPad iOS is "finished", it sure needs a lot of work in the "file system" and its management, but my point is that all the stuff that is obvious and easy on a laptop isn't so natural on a tablet.

Quote:

I don't worry about antivirus - it works automatically and transparently.

I don't know about you. My HP laptop has a freeware antivirus that I had to know where to pick it up, and it is sometimes a hassle. You found out a better way, perhaps, but that's also part of the problem, I shouldn't need to know "a better way" to deal with antivirus, at all.

Quote:

I don't share your view that a computer is a PITA that gets in the way of doing what you want to do. I also disagree with you that lopping off functionality in the name of simplicity is a good way to go about things.

Then we will have huge disagreements. I cannot imagine a wrist watch with a full windows 7 on it, but perhaps you will think that such a thing makes sense. Even Microsoft realised what should be planet design obvious, and created windows mobile phone 7 series out of a completely different philosophy of the previous "Windows everywhere" design strategy.

But while your taste is really bad, I must be humble and also recognise that tastes are subjective. And design is also about taste.

Quote:

If I had the choice between a fully-functioning device that works pretty well, or a limited-functionality device that is a little bit easier, I would choose the fully functioning device every time.

But I seem to think different.

Well yes, but that's alright. For you, perhaps the HP slate is a better option. I think it will *fail* commercially, but that is an independent assessment. For you, these things are huge wins. Well, power to the market!
  • Reply 353 of 433
    Quote:

Enjoy!

We all marvel at your dedication and commitment to trolling too. So, pat yourself on the back, it's takes a lot to do what you do.
  • Reply 354 of 433
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:

Enjoy!

Quote:

Enjoy!

appl can't even read, comprehension of a real sentence is beyond him. Sad little sock puppet...
  • Reply 355 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LuisDias View Post

Well yes, but that's alright. For you, perhaps the HP slate is a better option. I think it will *fail* commercially, but that is an independent assessment. For you, these things are huge wins. Well, power to the market!

I don't look at things in terms of a "win", but maybe we mean the same thing nevertheless.

I've said that none of the current tablets I have seen appeal to me - not enough to buy one, anyhow.

The HP might be great, I don't know, but I've heard so much grumbling about Win7 being bad on a tablet, that I'd really have to use it first before I could make any kind of a valid conclusion.

I don't know if it will be a commercial success or not. I suspect it will be a continuing line for HP, and that it will sell well enough to keep it and its progeny around. But that is just a WAG.
  • Reply 356 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

appl can't even read, comprehension of a real sentence is beyond him. Sad little sock puppet...

Fuck you, Bitch.

(Moderators, I'll accept the demerit.)
  • Reply 357 of 433

You know what is funny? A troll like @appl comes to a site like this to spread FUD, disrupt reasonable discussion, and basically demean Apple and its producrs.

The goal of all this appears to be to make anyone looking for Apple solutions, to reconsider or look elsewhere.

Most readers will ignore a little of this behavior. After a while, reasonable people, tire of this and begin to challange the untrue assertions.

This begins a kind of death spiral -- the assertions of the troll become more and more outrageous, with every fact presented to refute his statements.

Sometimes, the troll will abruptly change subjects or take a different tack to deflect the facts or otherwise bolster his anti-Apple agenda. Often, in his singleminded persuit of his goal, he will lose track of what he has said, and end up contradicting his earlier statements.

Thoughtful people, with no particular agenda other than learnining the pros and cons of a particular Apple offering, will follow the thread to help them discerne the truth.

When the thread is viewed in its entirity, it is obvious what is occuring -- unreasonable assertions are countered with verifible facts, then countered with even more unreasonable and incoherent assertions.

Thus, the troll undermines his very objective -- he encourages others to present Apple advantages that might not come up in a normal discussion.

Rather than be "put off" an Apple solution, the thoughtful reader will learn of additional Apple advantages he might not have known.

Hey, @appl, keep on, keeping on!

• Reply 358 of 433

Oops... And now, @appl is gone

• Reply 359 of 433
    Quote:

Can we stick to the topic?
  • Reply 360 of 433
    Quote:

Yes, @appl has been here before -- and soon will reappear using a different pseudonym.

Quote:

It started off with gentle egging but devolved into the usual habits fairly quickly.

A lot seems to have happened overnight! (Well, my *overnight* as per my time zone).

Well, time to restock on supplies and rebuild the barricades while we can.

It's like fighting zombies. Relish the silence and prepare for the next wave of attacks.