The Beatles catalog comes to Apple's iTunes

Comments

• Reply 81 of 377
    What a waste of time and money.
  • Reply 82 of 377
    celcocelco Posts: 211member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NealofThelake View Post

Watching it now. Awesome. I don't understand why people are being so negative. This is huge!

I think homer Simpson sums it up...

Oh Lisa, Its not because I don't understand its just that i don't care.

Homer Simpson
  • Reply 83 of 377
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

See the following:

I stand corrected sir.
  • Reply 84 of 377
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

UPDATE: Based on the reactions of many here, which seem to reiterate their malcontent for anything that Apple offers, and as evidenced by their initial reactions to the iPhone, iPad, MacBook Air, et., I would suggest my sales projections, i.e., of 10 million songs, are pessimistic.

It is amazing how success brings out the jealously factor.

You need to re-read this thread.

The comments you're talking about are mostly ridiculing Apple's hype. Today is certainly not a day that we'll never forget. Forgive us for not worshiping the Beatles enough to make the sentence true for us.

This isn't to slam the Beatles or Apple. Rather, just commentary on that one sentence of hype.
  • Reply 85 of 377
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BB Sting View Post

I only deal with lossy audio codecs when I have no other choice, so I'm still stuck ripping my music from CD's, if Apple wants my business they had better start offering audiophiles like me some Redbook quality music.

Why would you want Redbook? Why, only the other day, some people with "golden ears" told me right here in this very forum that CDs are lossy and vinyl will always be the way to go.
  • Reply 86 of 377
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imacFP View Post

I think this announcement shows how obsessed Jobs is with the Beatles and how much he likes them. Since I don't like the Beatles I can't say I much care.

And after you have built the second most valuable company in the known universe you too can make some decisions based on your likes and dislikes.
  • Reply 87 of 377
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

But, the main thing is, how can people be disappointed? 36 Hours ago you didn't know about any of this. Its like Lewis C.K.'s bit about people who just found out about there being internet on the plane, and then its down and being pissed off. Its a good bit, btw.

People here are disappointed because they're Apple fans and are always eagerly awaiting the next announcement from their favorite company. Sure, if they didn't hype this up there would have been nothing to be disappointed about, but since they did and people had all kinds of expectations, it left them disappointed when what they had hoped for didn't happen (except for those who expected it to be a Beatles announcement).
  • Reply 88 of 377
    If you don't care, then your "Who Cares"post is without value. Keep your worthless comments to yourself.

There are lots of people out there making great things for the world and then there are the internet forums of pathetic pear shaped pimply face nerds sitting it out in the bushes throwing their feces at anyone who tries to do anything good.
  • Reply 89 of 377
    In related news, HP released the entire Herman's Hermits catalog, and have sold out. They had planned on only 5000 downloads, but found that 5001 downloads occurred and had to shut the whole thing down. Peter Noone reported to be heartbroken.
  • Reply 90 of 377
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zuriel View Post

Seriously, I could have went down the street to the dollar store and gotten any Beatles album...

Clever quip, but I highly doubt it. Even if so, so what?

It was not billed as a huge announcement. No press were invited to an event. Just a website with a mysterious message. The press and the Apple fans like you and I made it a big deal.
  • Reply 91 of 377
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by edmalloy View Post

Big f*cking deal.

So no the band that nearly destroyed rock 'n roll is available on iTunes.

What a waste of time.

I realize this is a troll, just curious of the logic on how the Beatles almost destroyed rock n roll.
  • Reply 92 of 377
    I can only say one thing ... dissapointed!!!!!!

All this fuzz for nothing?

I will for sure hold my expectations next time Apple advertise to change the world!

• Reply 93 of 377
    The Beatles are great, although before my generation, and I understand Jobs' excitement about this, but I'm pretty let down today... I've been getting updates for apps on my iPad for 4.2 and multitasking for a week... I really thought that today was the day 4.2 hit. Sad face.
  • Reply 94 of 377
    29922992 Posts: 202member
    Big deal.

I like Beatles, but this time Apple was making waves for nothing.

Really. Big. Disappointment.
  • Reply 95 of 377
  • Reply 96 of 377
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

[INDENT]It may have been part of the agreement. For all we know Apple fought to get it down to being a day-before setup with no special event.

I withdrawal this comment. While Rock Band and Cirque de Soleil say that The Beatles are being pushed in new ways and the iTunes Store is part of that push, I think it?s more important to Apple. This is the last puzzle piece that legitimizes the iTunes Store.

I notice the iTS has ads in there. Ads I assume will be on TV starting today. Have they ever advertised an artist for that artist on iTS before? I don?t think so.

Not too bad, but it unfortunate that Apple wasn?t able (or perhaps willing) to get ALAC (lossless) versions for iTunes LP. Even if they were DRM protected I think this would make iTunes LPs a lot more popular than they currently are.
  • Reply 97 of 377
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

I can't really answer your question. And I personally was aware that they were pushing anything lately.

However, I would hazard to guess again that it was still in the millions.

As reported, to the question "How many albums have the Beatles have sold over"

UPDATE: Based on the reactions of many here, which seem to reiterate their malcontent for anything that Apple offers, and as evidenced by their initial reactions to the iPhone, iPad, MacBook Air, et., I would suggest my sales projections, i.e., of 10 million songs, are pessimistic.

It is amazing how success brings out the jealously factor.

The Beatles total sales estimates range between 1 - 1.3 BILLION albums.
  • Reply 98 of 377
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

I realize this is a troll, just curious of the logic on how the Beatles almost destroyed rock n roll.

Ed isn't up on his bands... he believes that Gino Vannelli is the lead singer for the Beatles.
  • Reply 99 of 377
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Why would I pay Apple $149 for the Beatles Box set when I can get the CD box set from Amazon for $129.99?

Meh
  • Reply 100 of 377
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Radar View Post

Lennon and Harrison had some talent but Paul McCartney hasn't penned a decent tune since around 1970.

Oh please, everyone knows that the real Paul Mcartney died back in the 60's and that the current one is an impostor, that explains his lack of musical talent. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...W51fsg&cad=rja