Apple designer Jony Ive rumored to be considering move back to UK

Comments

• Reply 41 of 146
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    I don't get the reference to age in the last sentence. Steve Jobs turned 56 last Thursday, but what has this to do with Ive?
  • Reply 42 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGuessSo View Post

I work for a large tech company [not quite as large as Apple ] and we use this thing called the interweb to collaborate, quite successfully. We use jets too. It works quite well.

It worries me that Apple's board would say "You are too valuable to us. We cant live without you So If you insist on telecommuting we will have to fire you."

Seems like it could possibly be faulty logic.

Unlike many other types of collaboration (even design-related), industrial design requires the ability to lay your hands on the item being designed to gauge all the subtleties and nuances of the design. Sure this can be done by having Ive at the Apple campus some number of days each month but it would slow down the design process. It's not hard to imagine that Ive's team gets something just so and Jobs wanders into the design area and says "this doesn't feel right". Imagine trying to explain "this" over some wires as opposed to in person.

But you are correct that it seems the most logical outcome is to try to find a solution which keeps Ive on-board since he is "too valuable to us". The other thing which comes into play is how much of a "family man" is Ive. Could he deal with being away from his kids a couple of weeks each month?
  • Reply 43 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

Or he has run out of things to copy from Dieter Rams.

What he said.

Just wait until they get a new designer who cribs from old B&O industrial design. It'll be a disaster.

There are a few untapped Braun products, yet, in Ives favour. Perhaps he actually can 'phone it in'.
  • Reply 44 of 146
    Could he design a product in some sort of 3D software and then securely email the file, and someone prints it out on one of those fancy 3D printers? Then if really needed they just fly him over for a few weeks.

Or they could just hire the Dyson guy.
  • Reply 45 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

Everything in the natural world obeys this law

Birth

rising

shining

decay

death

Apple is beginning it decay stage

That sounds like the wisdom of Chance 'Chauncy' Gardener in Being There.
  • Reply 46 of 146
    Quote:

Birth

rising

shining

decay

death

I don?t think that one person leaving would be the start of the decay of Apple. Even if it is Jony Ive. Plus, this is all just speculation, which might not even be true.
  • Reply 47 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's lead designer Jony Ive is said to be on the cusp of cashing in some $30 million in stock options, and eyeing a move back to his home country of the U.K.

Poor Apple! Two indispensible people on the verge of leaving. Whatever will they do?

How about the same thing they've been doing since the beginning; valuing quality and innovation, listening to their customer, moving fearlessly into the future.

If Mr. Ives does in fact leave Apple, I for one will remain eternally grateful for what he has done for Apple. The same can be said for Mr. Jobs - in spades! But their loss, though undesireable, won't affect my belief in the brightness of Apple's future. Apple, for those who still haven't figured it out, is bigger than the sum of its parts, even parts like Steve Jobs and Jon Ives. Some of us have been around long enough to know that.
  • Reply 48 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neruda View Post

Well, from the early 90's until a year or so after Jobs return everyone had pretty much pronounced Apple as being dead. There were daily news stories pronouncing Apple's imminent death. And yet, here we are..... Never mind that some analysts view Apple as being undervalued.

You're in the wrong decade. Let's not start this again.

Companies driven to great heights by great visionaries - Sam Walton, Thomas Edison, Walt Disney, Henry Ford, etc., have this in common: They lose their way and falter after their founder's passing. Sad but true.
  • Reply 49 of 146
    we should be more worried about what is becoming of us. Apple Insider is largely a rumor site that jumps to conclusion based from the skimpiest of rumors.

And, fools that we are then make the rumor and the speculation the foundation of our own beliefs. And, go wild with out own predictions.

What does that tell of what we have become? Whatever happened to:

I think, therefore I am?

CGC
  • Reply 50 of 146
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mode View Post

What does it say about the American educational system (even private) - when one of the most brilliant industrial designers of our time wants to leave so his kids can have a decent education?

When all the intellectuals and great minds start leaving the country... watch out.

It only says what we all already know. You can't hire the dumbest of our peers, pay them twice what they're worth, handcuff the best ones to prevent them from shining, and expect them to teach our children well.
  • Reply 51 of 146
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

Majority of Americans have never been abroad and depend so much on the mass media (mainly television) in their view of the world. But, the same can be said of most other peoples of the world.

I would expect that that vast majority of people in the uk have been to another country. Our countries are a lot smaller, of course. I found one figure in a quick google that says that 90% of British citizens have a passport (compared to 25% of US citizens).

Of course everyone can be and is myopic - thats part of life, you can't know everything, but by not traveling and by not caring about the world outside your country, you're only going to be more myopic...
  • Reply 52 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

Companies driven to great heights by great visionaries - Sam Walton, Thomas Edison, Walt Disney, Henry Ford, etc., have this in common: They lose their way and falter after their founder's passing. Sad but true.

Funny, I thought all those companies still existed, and are doing quite well....
  • Reply 53 of 146
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eAi View Post

I would expect that that vast majority of people in the uk have been to another country. Our countries are a lot smaller, of course. I found one figure in a quick google that says that 90% of British citizens have a passport (compared to 25% of US citizens).

Of course everyone can be and is myopic - thats part of life, you can't know everything, but by not traveling and by not caring about the world outside your country, you're only going to be more myopic...

The faulty logic here, consistently applied by non-Americans, is that there is something somehow special and different about traveling 200 miles if it crosses an imaginary boundary into another country. If I travel 200 miles from DC, I can end up in Philadelphia, the wilds of West Virginia, the mean streets of Baltimore, charming Rocky Mount North Carolina, and about 100 other places that are more different from DC than Paris is different from Brussels. Yet because Americans can travel so far and see such varied experiences without a passport, snooty Euros call them myopic. Quite sad. Cultural superiority complex.

Put another way - assuming that your 90% to 25% figure is true. Tell me this - what percentage of UK citizens live within 100 miles (or, say, a 2 hour train ride) of another country. And what percentage of Americans? Then ask yourself if there is another reason for so many people having passports other than how "worldly" one group of people is vs the other.
  • Reply 54 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGuessSo View Post

I work for a large tech company [not quite as large as Apple ] and we use this thing called the interweb to collaborate, quite successfully. We use jets too. It works quite well.

It worries me that Apple's board would say "You are too valuable to us. We cant live without you So If you insist on telecommuting we will have to fire you."

Seems like it could possibly be faulty logic.

Very good points.

Apple didn't get here by having a board that is that stupid. That said, if he wants to leave, there's not much anyone can do to stop him.

But let's keep in mind that Apple has, what, 40,000 employees? There's a lot of great talent there. I am not worried in the least, even if this rumor is true.
  • Reply 55 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mode View Post

What does it say about the American educational system (even private) - when one of the most brilliant industrial designers of our time wants to leave so his kids can have a decent education?

When all the intellectuals and great minds start leaving the country... watch out.

I'm British, I also live in Somerset, I doubt he would be bringing his kids back for a 'better' education (thats not to say there are not great schools in the area). More than likely her just wants his kids to grow up surrounded by west country culture, which can't be replicated anywhere.

Somerset also home to the UK's 'think different' capital, Glastonbury. A town made up of 10% normal people, the other 90% are witches and other extreme extroverts, cults, born again king arthur's, and much other oddness. And of course home to one of the worlds largest and finest music festivals.

I have travelled the planet, and prefer to spend my adult life in the USA when I can, but would probably raise my kids in somerset when the time comes.
  • Reply 56 of 146
    Quote:

Nonsense. Anecdote is not empirical evidence. Moreover, every one of the companies you mention went through great patches of growth and value-creation well after their founders left.

Another factor to keep in mind: All the ones you mention are very large companies, and just like the law of gravity, growth rates revert to the mean. The larger you get, the quicker it reverts.
  • Reply 57 of 146
    Quote:

What you stated would apply more to Steve Jobs. If indeed Apple declines simply because of Ive leaving***, then heart and soul of Apple would not be Steve Jobs.

Also, it is not so much the passing of the founder that determines the success and failure of the company -- but the solidity of the foundation of that vision and for the visionary to remain one.

Good examples that did not last long are tech companies like Yahoo, AOL, etc., once considered the giants in their field, but declined in just a few decades.

CGC

***and that is just a rumor, as much like Tim Cook was rumored to be leaving Apple also reported by Apple Insider and other rumor sites)
  • Reply 58 of 146
    Quote:

Birth

rising

shining

decay

death

Interesting... Only Apple is actually shining and is not in its death stage.
  • Reply 59 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

The view that only Americans are myopic and every other country (e.g., European countries) have a more balanced perspective of the world is in itself as myopic a view.

Coming from another country myself and having lived in the US for quite awhile now, I understand how many Americans can be.

Majority of Americans have never been abroad and depend so much on the mass media (mainly television) in their view of the world. But, the same can be said of most other peoples of the world.

I was surprised for example, during the Flickr censorship debate, a few years back, how many internet savvy Europeans have very distored view of the United States and Americans.

CGC

It's true that stereotypes exist just about everywhere but Americans, due a great deal to geography, have simply not travelled abroad much. They have not had the opportunity to meet people substantially different from themselves both culturally and in terms of their history and language. IMO, these makes it very difficult for them to understand a lot of what is happening in other parts of the world and their typical assumption is that most people should aspire to be like Americans since we have enjoyed such success.
  • Reply 60 of 146
    If there is any truth to this, it would be great in-house experience to let him work from England and improve collaboration features in OS X. iChat and face time could use improvement in these areas. With many more (fully or partially) home-based employees and remote meetings taking place, we could use something better. Among professionals this is becoming fairly common as companies try to retain employees by improving quality of life for them. Making this work is up Apple's alley. They should encourage more of this.

I'd love to see more iChat integration features for third party apps, support for larger groups of people, and a way to let others know you have something to say so everyone doesn't try to talk at the same time. There are many simple things that Apple just is not thinking about because they have centralized employees and they don't interact that much with partner companies. Improving support for iChat theatre would be great. For example, iOS simulator should support iChat theater.