Impressive lines suggest first day iPad 2 sales could hit 500k, analyst says

Comments

• Reply 41 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Imagine Foxconn's surprise and dismay when Apple sends a palette back!

Maybe that's "pallet?" Or are you referring to what an artist uses to hold his paints?
  • Reply 42 of 103
    I just got back from Wal-Mart and overheard the manager tell an employee to "go get the iPads" and only then remembered it was launch day, but i don't know if he meant old or new models. I know they stock at night tho, maybe a new bunch came in?
  • Reply 43 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitzandbitez View Post

I was in bed today just checking apple stores online and best buy and walmarts in the NYC area, at approximately 3:16pm lQQked up the nearest Walmart (there are none in the NYC area) so I found one in fairview north Bergen nj area- called and spoke to the electronics store mgr and asked him how many people were in line and he said "what line?" and I was the line for the new iPads?

Back in bed typing this? lQQked much?
  • Reply 44 of 103
    bedouinbedouin Posts: 331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

What makes a particular Apple Store a "flagship" store? I keep reading this term but can't make heads or tails out of it. My dictionary doesn't help either as it gets into the naval aspect.

Thanks!

Biggest store in the area. In Pittsburgh Shadyside would be the flagship store, while South Hills would be a satellite store.
  • Reply 45 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

My immediate thought in response was to say 'Well, anyone who misses out can always go out and buy a... you know, that Samsung one, the...' but I had forgotten its name. \

(is it the Galaxy?)

LOL!
  • Reply 46 of 103
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

WHAT A JOKE! I visited the local Apple Store and it was CLOSED until 5PM?! WTF?! A line of morons wasting their time for electronics -- turned around and went home. Some people have nothing better to do with their time. I have no intention to buy iPad 2, just wanted to try it out since I was passing by...

They closed at 3pm to set up the display units etc. Something they do for pretty much every evening launch

But nice try
  • Reply 47 of 103
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,007member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitzandbitez View Post

I was in bed today just checking apple stores online and best buy and walmarts in the NYC area, at approximately 3:16pm lQQked up the nearest Walmart (there are none in the NYC area) so I found one in fairview north Bergen nj area- called and spoke to the electronics store mgr and asked him how many people were in line and he said "what line?" and I was the line for the new iPads? And he was like "there's no one here yet" and I asked him how many did you guys get? And he said 25 pieces - so I took a quick shower jumped into a cab across town to the port authority and got a ticket for the #127 nj transit bus and caught the 4:15pm bus to north Bergen nj (88th st stop right across the street from Walmart store) and got my new 64gig white wifi iPad - I figured with all the flooding in new jersey from the rain storms no one would be there and that's a Mexican / Polish / Russian immigrant neighborhood

So most of those people can't afford a 64 gig unit and I was right on the $$ there was no one there people started to show up after 5pm and they had extra stock by the time I left--

So I was stoked that I made that decision to go to nj instead of dealing with all the crowds in NYC and no getting one .. I am typing this post from my new iPad

Good luck to you guys .... trolls included

A story with a happy ending! And New Jersey came out looking ok to boot! I like it! Conrats...
  • Reply 48 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

Maybe that's "pallet?" Or are you referring to what an artist uses to hold his paints?

Artist exclusive: buy an iPad 2, get a free palette!
  • Reply 49 of 103
    bedouinbedouin Posts: 331member
    Ballmer better get ready to have the record broken for his Wii ripoff accessory, otherwise known as Kinect.
  • Reply 50 of 103
    Are most of you guys going Wifi, or 3g? im getting a white one, but since they got rid of the unlimited 3g last year im leaning Wifi. any opinions?
  • Reply 51 of 103
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Last year was heavily constrained by supply, while they have nearly a month of build-up at current rates now. They should have hit 3-4x sales compared to last year without much of a stretch. 6x would be quite impressive.

Yes and no.

Remember that most stores haven't had a remodel in the last year, so their stock areas are at the same capacity as the last launch. But where that one was 3 models this one was 18 models. So they like got the same number of gross units but spread out across the whole lineup. Most stores likely sold out pretty fast of certain items if not all of them

That said, Apple has probably arranged for special overnight deliveries of more which will arrive sometime Saturday, hopefully morning or very early afternoon. Since I have been on set all day and will be tomorrow, I am hoping they start reservations at some point real soon.
  • Reply 52 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EverNoticeThat View Post

Are most of you guys going Wifi, or 3g? im getting a white one, but since they got rid of the unlimited 3g last year im leaning Wifi. any opinions?

16GB

WiFi*

Black

Smart Cover (Navy)

* Jailbroken iPhone with MyWi.
  • Reply 53 of 103
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    edit..........
  • Reply 54 of 103
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    OMG, my iPad has gone mad:

This can't be right.
  • Reply 55 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by REC View Post

If Ballmer is smart he's buying Apple stock right now.

If he was smart, he'd have bought Apple stock 3 years ago, or better yet, 10 years ago. Actually three years ago would be considered smart. 10 years ago, lucky?there's really no way anyone could have predicted the level of Apple's success. I bought stock three years ago.
  • Reply 56 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

The walmart here only had 4 iPads - that's insane.

Same here. Walmart said they only had four. Target said they only had five and both said they sold out in four mins. Of couse I brought mine home and then everyone in the house wanted to get one too. So I tried calling around hoping there would be some Target or Walmart with a few. Thankfully I found a Target in the middle of nowhere that had three white 64gb ones and I made it to the store with like 10 mins until they closed and got my wife and daughter one each.

I got mine at the Apple Store which is pretty damn big and I have never seen anything move out of that store so fast. I have to say I was a fanboy tonight I was sweating my balls off thinking I wasn't going to get one. lol.
  • Reply 57 of 103
    Quote:

This can't be right.

Maybe, the CPU was surely holding back how mug data TW WiFi could process at once.

Also, and probably unrelated, the new MBPs are the first Apple end user devices to use 3x3 MIMO, according to AnandTech. What I the WiFi chip in the new iPad.
  • Reply 58 of 103
    Quote:

This can't be right.

WIFI signal on the first iPad game me problems at first. On the iPad2 I am doing 30mbps on the download, 2.8 on the upload. Which is what I get hard wired. Signal strenght is also great.

Have to say reports said the speaker wasn't that great but I think it sound pretty damn good.
  • Reply 59 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I have to say I was a fanboy tonight I was sweating my balls off thinking I wasn't going to get one. lol.

This is why I like your posts wen if I don't often agree with what your write.
  • Reply 60 of 103
    That's right, I have a life -- more interested in installing my new swaybars for better handling on my car!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alladdinn View Post

"I have no intention to buy iPad 2, just wanted to try it out since I was passing by."

I think maybe you protest a little too loudly, for someone, "just passing by", "just wanted to try it out." Right.