Adobe CEO downplays Flash, iOS feud, says Android tablets will dominate iPad

Comments

• Reply 81 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigMac2 View Post

I agree with you, but I don't think it should be Apple role for making web development tool, It would polarize many anti-apple guys against HTML5.

This should be Adobe role. I've never understand Adobe position for keeping Flash for so long on artificial respirator and keep pushing it. Adobe was born to make creative tools, they should embrace HTML5 and make creative software for it.

Reason why Adobe didn't get rid of Flash was because they never thought the browser would catch up to what flash can do. The W3C is so slow to finalize a spec Adobe figured that well we can move in a pace like the W3C slow like a turtle. And hey flash still makes money so we will keep it for as long as we are puting money in our pockets. It seams like every adobe product they come out with new or old they charge too much money for it. Charging a lot of money for software those days are over.
  • Reply 82 of 135
    jexusjexus Posts: 373member
    If the OEM's stick custom UI's over honeycomb, your gonna see those sales go down REAL fast.

The only company I see that has(from an Android perspective) even the slightest chance of at least being noticeable most likely on a small scale to apple is ASUS.
  • Reply 83 of 135
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,595member
    HTML5 standards have not yet even been settled on have they? According to documents published by W3C, the HTML Working Group has just advanced HTML5 to "Last Call" status with full specifications not due till 2014.

http://www.w3.org/2011/02/htmlwg-pr.html
  • Reply 84 of 135
    goldenclawgoldenclaw Posts: 272member
    Isn't Apple in a position now that they could buy out Adobe?

That would end the Flash war once and for all.

However, even if they did that, I doubt it would end the bloat and the yearly product updates that have little in the way of new features. Apple is somewhat notorious for that with iLife, then just look at Filemaker.
  • Reply 85 of 135
    bigmac2bigmac2 Posts: 639member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stargatesg1 View Post

Reason why Adobe didn't get rid of Flash was because they never thought the browser would catch up to what flash can do. The W3C is so slow to finalize a spec Adobe figured that well we can move in a pace like the W3C slow like a turtle. And hey flash still makes money so we will keep it for as long as we are puting money in our pockets. It seams like every adobe product they come out with new or old they charge too much money for it. Charging a lot of money for software those days are over.

You're probably right, I still wonder when Adobe have start to envision Flash as Java VM competitor and making it an application runtime. Flash shouldn't have become what Adobe try with Air/flex.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBlomberg View Post

Does anyone else think that Shantanu Narayen looks and acts like a Ferengi? Likely as trustworthy as one too.

I do! just like RIM's CEO
  • Reply 86 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Goldenclaw View Post

However, even if they did that, I doubt it would end the bloat and the yearly product updates that have little in the way of new features. Apple is somewhat notorious for that with iLife, then just look at Filemaker.

They can buy out adobe and get rid of flash but this could lead into a Legal battle. I think if apple bought adobe they woudn't get rid of flash they would fix it up. But then again what is apple really gainig from buying Adobe. We know flash is dying and old code. I think Apple SHOULD buy Nintendo now that would be the best merger for both sides. Nintendo gaming console is dying.
  • Reply 87 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigMac2 View Post

You're probably right, I still wonder when Adobe have start to envision Flash as Java VM competitor and making it an application runtime. Flash shouldn't have become what Adobe try with Air/flex.

I do! just like RIM's CEO

All I can say is that Adobe / Flex was a waste of time. You can do all that with jQuery and html. Also with node.js coming into the game who cares about Adobe AIR. Node.js allows you to build native apps without using a browser.
  • Reply 88 of 135
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 89 of 135
    jims1973jims1973 Posts: 24member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

There might be a terrorist or two out there that has a Mac.

Probably their web/graphic designers
  • Reply 90 of 135
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2stepbay View Post

The general tendency for the PC crowd is to think "computer" when building a tablet. This flawed approach works to Apple's advantage.

well said.
  • Reply 91 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Eventually, the sales of android tablets being made by every other manufacturer on the planet might just sell more than one tablet made by one manufacturer. It might be many years from now, but it'll probably happen, just like with the phones.

When people compare iOS to Android, they're comparing 1 company VS everybody else, which includes hundreds of companies. That tells you how strong Apple is compared to everybody else.

Sure. And you know what? Sandisk, Creative Labs, Diamond, Samsung, and even Microsoft managed to sell lots of portable music players in the past 10 years. 1 company vs. everybody else.
  • Reply 92 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

He has stopped freaking out about iOS not supporting Flash because he thinks Android is going to be the dominant platform.

But he should still be freaking out because, even as a minority, iOS would be a significant minority, and companies would use technologies that give compatibility with both (HTML5 or others).

super.. completely agree.... Its clear to me that Flash will no longer be the desirable choice, when Microsoft has made the move to HTML5 in new Windows 8 and has successfully upgraded IE to use HTML5 for most users running legacy versions of Windows. I look forward to this day.
  • Reply 93 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snova View Post

super.. completely agree.... Its clear to me that Flash will no longer be the desirable choice, when Microsoft has made the move to HTML5 in new Windows 8 and has successfully upgraded IE to use HTML5 for most users running legacy versions of Windows. I look forward to this day.

We are at Internet Explorer 9 and they still don't have it right. Will they ever get it.
  • Reply 94 of 135
    jexusjexus Posts: 373member
    Quote:

I think Apple SHOULD buy Nintendo now that would be the best merger for both sides. Nintendo gaming console is dying.

Can't Happen, Won't happen. Japanese Law prevents any foreign investor from buying out or holding a majority stake in a domestic company.

Besides, The Nintendo's Imminent death thing is about as accurate as the 97' "death" of Apple.

Nintendo is the Apple of Gaming, usually being the one to make the most memorable games and introduce a concept that everyone ends up following.

Virtua boy gets released- OMG NINTENDO YOUR GONNA DIE

PSone launches- Nintendo betrayed sony, so now it's going to pay.

N64- Cartridges? WTH Nintendo? lack of 3rd party support

Gamecube- Nintendo sold the worst of the generation(that was still in business as a hardware maker)!, lack of 3rd party support. small, dead media format

Wii- KIDDY GAMES NINTENDO IS DOOMED!! Lack of 3rd party support

Project Cafe- It's too late nintendo..doom is upon ye.

Let's just give it a rest already.
  • Reply 95 of 135
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,443moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

During Thursday's interview, Narayen asserted that the disagreement between the two companies hadn't ultimately been about the technology. "It's a business model issue, and it's about control of a platform," he said.

Narayen is exactly right, it's about Adobe's desire to control rich media on the web with proprietary authoring and decoding tools.

His delusion comes in where he thinks it's a single-platforms apps vs Flash war. It's always been an HTML 5 vs Flash war - making Flash redundant by getting the functionality it offers native to each and every browser regardless of hardware.

Apps only started to come into play when consumers and developers (not Steve) decided that they were a more convenient way of delivering and accessing some content. You just try making money by getting people to visit your web page without advertising, in the real-world it doesn't work because there's no common charging system so you'd have to sign up to every different service and login every time you wanted to use it.

This change to apps for paid content and HTML 5 for animations, video etc in no way makes Adobe irrelevant. They are widely recognised as being among the best content-creation app developers in the world and content still needs to be authored just not in a format almost no mobile device owners can appreciate.
  • Reply 96 of 135
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    ' ?I think the community is vibrant. I?m really excited,? he said. '

droid had a pretty good run in the smartphone space, but its last safe haven has been breached. The Verizon iPhone stopped droid's smartphone growth in the US. And the major area of droid's growth outside the US is in China. In yes, another fragment of the hopelessly fragmented droid tree. And it's hurting Google. Not helping.

One or more of the high-growth Chinese versions of droid have no connection to Google search (obviously), with a non-Android Market app store, and a different map engine. But the real killer is that there are no AdMob ads. That hits Google where it really hurts. 96% of Google's revenue comes from ads. No droid spam = no Google profits.

On top of that, there's nothing but bad news for Google in the iPad clone market. Xoom and Galaxy Tab have failed to catch on. That has allowed Microsoft, of all dinosaurs, to launch an attempt to come back with Windows 8 on a tablet. Terrible idea, but it could still overtake droid to become a distant yet profitable #2 behind iPad. (One reason, incidentally, why Rubin has cracked down on "open" in favor of "controlled.")

Motorola, Samsung, Acer, HP, RIM, and all other iPad wannabes have scaled back their production plans. They don't believe Narayen's irrational cheerleading. And they've cut back production by millions of units:

http://www.electronista.com/articles....scaling.back/

Vibrant? Hardly.
  • Reply 97 of 135
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

We are at Internet Explorer 9 and they still don't have it right. Will they ever get it.

10 looks promising.

You can go ahead and choose your own definition for the word 'promising'.
  • Reply 98 of 135
    jims1973jims1973 Posts: 24member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

i remember a time when office supply stores (there wasn't a 'computer' store) sold tons of apple games and a few dos games. apple games as far as i could see. i loved it. a few years later it was reversed. you could find a couple of decent games for mac and everything else was Windows.

the lay of the land can turn on a dime in technology.

You can thank DirectX for that.
  • Reply 99 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

I do not like Narayen, and I'm no fan of Steve Jobs.

I think back and laugh so hard at the thought of people who said they'd never buy an iPhone or iPad because they couldn't go to their usual free website and play free flash games. Meanwhile, every game out there is available free or cheap through the App Store, and it's a full screen touch game, rather than a tiny game square amid an entire page of ad links.

I had to laugh.. you are so right about this. People say interesting things when someone proposes that legacy technology are no longer necessary and wont continue to support it.

Mac - only one button on the mouse. No command line.

iMac G3 - no floppy, USB expansion to replace keyboard/mice PS/2 ports and printer LPT ports

Macbook Air - no CDROM/DVD Drive

iOS - no filesystem management, no Flash support, only support electronic d/l of applications, , SD card expansion.

Watching Bluray movies on your computer

Apple software and hardware packaging - Those BIG boxes full of mostly air.
  • Reply 100 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Goldenclaw View Post

I dont think this is necessary.. Websites are already either being updated to support iOS devices or providing native iOS app to access the website data. As another poster said already.. I no longer seem to need Flash on my iOS device these days to do that I want on the web.

I think Flash will go the way of RealPlayer.