Apple unveils iOS 5 with Notification Center, 1500 added APIs, 200 new user features

Comments

• Reply 101 of 226
    Someone please tell me that IOS5 will finally allow saving and filing of articles of interest on my iPad
  • Reply 102 of 226
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Yes, and no -- the iPad is now officially a post-pc device.

You and me know that. But for the PC crowd, and Mr Ballmer, there is no such thing as a post-PC. Everything is a PC... except the iPad because it tethers to a PC. That was their excuse. I wonder what will they say now.

Quote:

BTW, my 11-year-old grandson (with direction from his 15-year-old sister) did his final term project entirely on an iPad, using iMovie.

He got his grade today... A+... With a comment on his final report card -- "Best EVER project".

That grade, along with the interest, skills and confidence gained, repaid the investment in the iPad -- many times over...

Up until this year, he had always been a poor to average student.

...one happy, grampy!

Congrats
  • Reply 103 of 226
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by magicj View Post

Looks to me like a piece of crap.

I'm asking about features to help me decide if I should switch to Android.

Do us a favor... Switch To Android!
  • Reply 104 of 226
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bongo View Post

lol. Before name calling, have the decency to read multiple websites. How about, A LOT of them do that. There was someone on this board in this thread who already said iOs's notifications are much more elegant. Go to Android sites, and see the fanbois out there. I know a lot of them do appreciate them, and I am assuming you are one. I have seen comments like "Apple's notification system is just 1,0, wait for the 2.0, it will be revolutionary and blow Android out of the water" etc etc. So before calling me an asshole, go and get outside your cocoon of reading only specific websites. I happen to read everything that interests me, so I see a lot more fanboism than you do. Im actually not offended, but laughing. Its hilarious.

Actually it's you that is blinkered and ignorant, Android fan boy that you are. Most iOS users have been pretty much in agreement that if Apple were to improve anything on iOS, is should have been notifications first.

As far as Apple fanboys infesting Android sites, utter and complete bullshit. You're straight up lying. OTOH, go to the comments on pretty much any Apple article on any tech site and listen to the long, ugly yowl of the Android army as they belittle the site management for sucking Apple's dick for even mentioning the name and bellowing about the "fanboys" and what they'd probably be saying or thinking, if they were actually in evidence.

Kind of like what your'e doing here. I mean, you're reduced to incomprehensible gibberish like claiming that people are responding well to Apple's just announced notification system is evidence that they thought Apple's notification was better all along.

I'm glad you think being an asshole is funny, but it isn't really. Android people are the biggest douchebags on the internet, constantly on the lookout for any Apple news they can shit on. I guess iOS users are too busy enjoying their gear to bother to do the same-- although apparently they don't have to, since the average Android user is convinced that these fan boys are everywhere, just about to say something stupid.

Really, look at this thread. Apple oriented site, Apple announces big update to iOS that addresses a lot of long standing complaints, and there are half a dozen assholes on the thread smirking and trolling and talking about "catch up" and "copying." You'd never see that on an Android site in a million years. Asshole.
  • Reply 105 of 226
    hoganhogan Posts: 94member
    [QUOTE=kwoot27;1876302]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

Cupertino, start your photocopiers!

They may be similar...but look at how much more elegant and professional Apple's version's are. Apple never claims to be always first...just the best.

Insufferable suck-up comments like this make me cringe.

There are still better Notifications (LockInfo) and messaging apps (BiteSMS) in the jailbreak community and Apple are not the first or the best.
  • Reply 106 of 226
    jexusjexus Posts: 373member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

Are you kidding me? Because something is licensed under GNU GPL doesn't mean it doesn't have trademarks, copyrights, etc.

Did you read my post? Or the first 10 words?

Nothing in the Notifications that Apple has implemented is SPECIFIC to Google.

Google doesn't want to sue and Apple and vice versa. But apple has sued Google Indirectly. Hell, Microsoft makes a boatload of more money off of Android than it does windows phone 7 due to one of those patent cases.

However, if you recall, Apple was allowed to sue HTC for the lock-screen function a few years back. Lockscreen Notification was specifically implemented into Samsung's touchwiz, and MS has been able to utilize the camera, and HTC some other apps from the lockscreen. It all depends on how aggressive these companies are.

But I expect no response, because both companies are currently competing for the hearts of the XDA community. Motorola will ride the "cool" factor of android as much as it can. HTC, Samsung and LG will probably the only REAL manufacturers pushing android forward.
  • Reply 107 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

I was all set to buy an Android based phone. iOS5 addressed everything I thought was missing in the iPhone. Now, I'm seriously rethinking.

I think Apple was smart in copying BBM, Android notifications and others UI's. These are things people want and Apple listened.

Biggest thing I am happy to see is now wireless integration. I have collected about 10 of those stupid 30pin to USB connectors. Maybe the new iPods, iPads and iPhones will switch to micro-USB connectors?

I'm still undecided as to whether to switch or stay with the iPhone. I like the new Safari and Safai reader, and frankly had notifications and wireless synch covered well with jailbroken apps.
  • Reply 108 of 226
    What happened to deep voice integration? How much longer before Apple releases some product after the Sirus acquisition?
  • Reply 109 of 226
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That's so much stuff that I have a feeling this was Jobs last time as ring master and his greatest Show on Earth.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nofear1az View Post

I have the same feeling too! \ I already miss him

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Sadly, you may be right...

The MR feed said that Steve didn't look good -- just tired.

At the dark end of the bazaar, in the shadows of the arcade, the old women talk among themselves, their eyes shaded by their babushkas. What are they whispering about . . . ?

Seriously, you guys, we don't know anything, even though the experts at MacRumors have given their opinion, so these are unseemly musings. Handwringing. Chin up, the less said the better.
  • Reply 110 of 226
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

At the dark end of the bazaar, in the shadows of the arcade, the old women talk among themselves, their eyes shaded by their babushkas. What are they whispering about . . . ?

Seriously, you guys, we don't know anything, even though the experts at MacRumors have given their opinion, so these are unseemly musings. Handwringing. Chin up, the less said the better.

He seemed fine to me.
  • Reply 111 of 226
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why are you showing other people your phone?

So you've never ever lent your phone to someone, or put it down for a sec?
  • Reply 112 of 226
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

He seemed fine to me.

Very famous last words.
  • Reply 113 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Very famous last words.

Which is exactly why such talk is inappropriate to begin with. It brings out the ghouls.

And we don't know anything, so it's just gossip.
  • Reply 114 of 226
    masterz1337masterz1337 Posts: 128member
    A bit disapointed.

-No deeply integrated voice control

-No turn by turn gps or maps

-Same grid interface

There's some cool stuff, but lacking some of the killer features of other OS's.
  • Reply 115 of 226
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

He seemed fine to me.

Thank you. His voice is strong, and by minute one, we've already been given a brilliant new paradigm.

Back to watching the video . . .
  • Reply 116 of 226
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Masterz1337 View Post

A bit disapointed.

-No deeply integrated voice control

-No turn by turn gps or maps

-Same grid interface

There's some cool stuff, but lacking some of the killer features of other OS's.

As an Android user, I say this is good enough. I might thinking of switching if an iPhone comes out on my network (my plan is far more valuable than any device I use - $40 for unlimited voice, messaging and data per month).

The turn-by-turn GPS would be missed. But it's a question of whether you are willing to spring for the full price nav apps on the App Store.

The grid interface issue can be annoying depending on how you organize things. But for most people it's fine. Most Android users use themed screens for apps and widgets. I guess iOS will kinda get you close with folders (them your apps per folder?). If you use a lot of widgets though, having them all in the drop down bar is not that great. Plus Apple should have put the power control widget in the drop down bar. That's supremely useful.

As for voice control. No question that Google really beats out Apple on this one.

For me, the one other thing I've always found annoying (and I don't know how iPhone users can stand it) is the constant need to pan around on a webpage because text doesn't reflow. This is on par with notification issue. But they didn't fix it.
  • Reply 117 of 226
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

I think you're asking the wrong people- We are yet to use iOS 5.

Finally, an awnser that doesnt verge on lunacy

it will also be interesting to figure out if the lock screen notices appear when the phone is locked with a pin... never mind how much of the text messages are shown on the lock screen

</leaving phone on your desk while in a meeting, only to have your wife start sexting and your office mates looking at your 'locked' phone>
  • Reply 118 of 226
    kedmondkedmond Posts: 3member
    "Notification Center, an innovative way to easily view and manage notifications in one place without interruption"

Innovative? Really? It's a direct copy of what Android has had since Day 1. That's not innovation. That's called finally catching up. Same with the syncing.

I still wish Android was as snappy as the iPhone, but the syncing, Maps and notifications haven't been matched yet.
  • Reply 119 of 226
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Software updates will also be available over the air, and they will be delta updates, so that users will only need to download what has changed.

But what about:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

A patch? You have to be kidding.

But if you are siting Android as a perfect example of how it should be done, I can see how you think that patches is the way to go.

And just ow many apps have you gotten that are near 500MB in size?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

Much prefer to download the whole updated app than using patches.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aestival View Post

I absolutely agree -- the era where software publishers had to agonize over how many floppies or CDs to ship an update on is long, long gone. Ditto for the era where a hundred megabytes was an enormous hard-drive chewing download.

Patches are an open invitation to a whole slew of virtually untraceable bugs, while whole-app downloads guarantee a uniform user experience (at least on Apple hardware, where virtually every physical device can be tested with ease by even the smallest developers).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Oh no. No patching. All or nothing, no patching.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yuniverse View Post

a patch? lol so it can grow heavy and slow like the windowze? no thanks.

Let the backtracking begin.
  • Reply 120 of 226
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kedmond View Post

"Notification Center, an innovative way to easily view and manage notifications in one place without interruption"

Innovative? Really? It's a direct copy of what Android has had since Day 1. That's not innovation. That's called finally catching up. Same with the syncing.

I still wish Android was as snappy as the iPhone, but the syncing, Maps and notifications haven't been matched yet.

The Syncing is much more comprehensive. Apple is behind on maps, but thats because the rely on google.