Apple shows off its networking savvy at WWDC

Comments

• Reply 21 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by One Fine Line View Post

What is this "overlap" criticism you speak of?

If I remember correctly, the iPad was introduced months before actual release into stores and there was a lot of talk about it not "fitting" between the iPhone and the laptop. Too much overlap. In other words, the iPhone could do a lot of what the iPad could do and the laptop could do the rest. This although true seems not be a problem with 25 million sold.

I just meant it as an example of how when Apple introduces something new like in this case no optical disc for the new OS, some people are instantly negative about it.

• Reply 22 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

So awesome that they're going Disc free. One step closer to MacBookPros with no optical drive!!!

It's official. The Mac App Store is the end of DVD software. And I'm excited about it.

Yeah truly awesome for those people who can't get a fast connection and have caps on downloads. Truly wonderful. It will leave lots of people out of snow lion since it is download only.
  • Reply 23 of 122
    When my HD fries, or I want to upgrade, I'll have to install SL, then download 4GB (again), to get the OS up.

Just give me the option to burn an ISO at least.

Then of course, if I have 3 macs to upgrade, that's 12GB of downloads each time. No thanks.

(I'm not interested in cloning or TM backups. I prefer clean installs.)

Some people only have 3G connections, this is ridiculous.

EDIT: Dorotea9999 I agree.
  • Reply 24 of 122
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

If I remember correctly, the iPad was introduced months before actual release into stores and there was a lot of talk about it not "fitting" between the iPhone and the laptop. Too much overlap. In other words, the iPhone could do a lot of what the iPad could do and the laptop could do the rest. This although true seems not be a problem with 25 million sold.

I just meant it as an example of how when Apple introduces something new like in this case no optical disk for the new OS, some people are instantly negative about it.

I was thinking that APPL should've sold at least 100 million by now. They are underperforming.
  • Reply 25 of 122
    This will work for me, but I wonder:

When a hard drive crashes, how do people load the OS to a new drive?

And the answer is not necessarily "use your backup". I use a double backup, with TimeMachine and SuperDuper, but I know many people with NO backup at all. While I agree that is foolish, it does happen a lot.
  • Reply 26 of 122
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member
    Yet, I can get Cyberduck for free from Macupdate.com, but it costs $23 at the App Store. So much for lowering costs. And still no mention of a solution for corporate firewalls that block the App Store.
  • Reply 27 of 122
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,760member
    "There is no such thing as Free Public WiFi" is most likely a jab at Windows security... There was a virus going around on XP machines that created a network called "Free Public WiFi", any XP machine that connected to it would get the virus too.

Impressive wireless and wired network though. Having that many computers all chatting away on similar frequencies and not completely collapsing when everyone clicked "Download Lion Developer Preview" is quite an achievement. Shame Apple didn't use their own Airport hardware though, would have been a good thing to show off.
  • Reply 28 of 122
    obamaobama Posts: 62member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vandelay Industries View Post

I want a disc. No lion for me.

If Steve says you don't need one, then you don't get one. To say otherwise will bring down the wrath of the AI community, as you can see from the responses.

I think they should give you a choice of optical media for a fee. I wonder if you buy a new iMac truck after lion is out if it will come with any restore disc or repair tools?

Of course no one buys iMacs anymore. Everybody loves iPads. A new iMac doesn't even rate the front page of the website for one single day. It's not as sexy as a white iPhone or a cloud service.
  • Reply 29 of 122
    juandljuandl Posts: 230member
    I think it would be a good idea for Apple to consider making WiFi available for Cupertino. It will no doubt be a big undertaking. But they could at least draw up what it would require, and provide the needed equipment. They could then have a separate company do the actual work. Of course it would be abig expense to them. But it would be a huge gift to the city that everyone associates Apple with. Maybe they would be given some kind of Tax relief.

Seem to remember that Google is planning on doing the same with one particular town. That was chosen for many direct-indirect reasons. They could have easily have chosen Mountain View, but they didn't. Apple could one up them there.

One other thing. Google isn't doing this just to be good guys (again). There is a business

to be made of this. There are LOTS of towns and cities out there that are paying close attention to what Google is doing. Could be some money there. All Apple would have to do would be hire another person (like the guy they had overseeing the Data Farm construction) oversee this project(s). I bet there wasn't very many Apple engineers involved in the actual construction.
  • Reply 30 of 122
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

When my HD fries, or I want to upgrade, I'll have to install SL, then download 4GB (again), to get the OS up.

Then of course, if I have 3 macs to upgrade, that's 12GB of downloads each time. No thanks.

The Lion installer is an application.

Install Lion onto a USB stick, external HDD or something like that at put the installer application on that.

Boot from the stick and run the installer when you need to intall on a blank disc.
  • Reply 31 of 122
    Quote:

I want a disc. No lion for me.

I'm so over optical media for software distribution. It just means it's out of date the moment the DVD is pressed. I installed Snow Leopard using a bootable USB memory stick...and I've never looked back.
  • Reply 32 of 122
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Did anyone else watch Steve's presentation to the Cupertino City Council about the new 'mother ship', and note his comment about the auditorium?

Specifically about how they always have to come up to SF for presenations?

I guess things like WWDC keynotes will continue to be at the event venue, but suspect that we'll soon see all flat-out announcements taking place at the new facility.
  • Reply 33 of 122
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

(I'm not interested in cloning or TM backups. I prefer clean installs.)

Some people only have 3G connections, this is ridiculous.

EDIT: Dorotea9999 I agree.

1) The fact that you'd download it 3x instead of once tells us you decided to react before thinking.

2) Then burn it to a DVD. This has been detailed since the first beta was released. Hell, it's the same routine of copying the previous DVD installs to a HDD's partition or USB flash drive that I've been using for years.

3) Time Machine isn't installing the OS, it's for your data and settings, and it's very handy. Even if you don't want your Library preferences copied to a new system having your data files restored and backed up with ease shouldn't make you too afraid.

4) Maybe I expect too much from posters on an Apple-based tech forum, but I do assume you understand how to use Disk Utility to create an bootable disc from a disk image.
  • Reply 34 of 122
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JLL View Post

The Lion installer is an application.

Install Lion onto a USB stick, external HDD or something like that at put the installer application on that.

Boot from the stick and run the installer when you need to intall on a blank disc.

Or, you know just put it on a disc, since you can and it boots perfectly well.
  • Reply 35 of 122
    yuniverseyuniverse Posts: 115member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rukasu View Post

Pages, Numbers, and Keynote are still showing for me as $9.99 in iTunes Store and App Store (iPad). Was this iWork price drop announced?

Yes, they're still $9.99. It's probably an error by AI.
  • Reply 36 of 122
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Did anyone else watch Steve's presentation to the Cupertino City Council about the new 'mother ship', and note his comment about the auditorium?

Specifically about how they always have to come up to SF for presenations?

I guess things like WWDC keynotes will continue to be at the event venue, but suspect that we'll soon see all flat-out announcements taking place at the new facility.

I didn't see that. Link and time to start watching?
  • Reply 37 of 122
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Applecation View Post

This will work for me, but I wonder:

When a hard drive crashes, how do people load the OS to a new drive?

And the answer is not necessarily "use your backup". I use a double backup, with TimeMachine and SuperDuper, but I know many people with NO backup at all. While I agree that is foolish, it does happen a lot.

Burn a copy to a DVD.
  • Reply 38 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

That is pretty damn cool!

As a Network Engineer for over 15 years, these are standard views and reports from a major Wifi Vendor (not Apple). Apple did not create this. They are simply just another WiFi Vendor customer (like many thousands of other corporate customers).
  • Reply 39 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I'm so over optical media for software distribution. It just means it's out of date the moment the DVD is pressed. I installed Snow Leopard using a bootable USB memory stick...and I've never looked back.

Agreed! And there is the positive effect on the environment, too. No water to bleach the cardboard for the boxes, no trees used, no toxic colored inks, no fossil fuel used to make the plastic, no manufacturing waste and no fossil fuel used to ship or go to the store to pick it up.

To insist on an optical disc is short sighted, to say the least. Good for Apple!
  • Reply 40 of 122
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I didn't see that. Link and time to start watching?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtuz5...layer_embedded

The auditorium reference is at 8:25, but whole presentation is worth watching (you can skip the obligatory City Council showboating that follows.)

What was funny was the very Jobs-ian hammering home of the basic concept, which was "We really want to stay in Cupertino." (along with the implied horse's head in the bed.)