Canalys: Apple's iOS now world's 2nd largest smartphone platform

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 120
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgrisar View Post

Let's wait the day that Samsung or any other player will sell more smartphones than Apple in a single quarter. I wonder what kind of lame excuse you'll find.

Hint: "they sold more versions of a smartphones than Apple" might work. Well, I suppose you'll come up with another bright insight.

Really, such a fine brand as Apple doesn't deserve the idiots that you are

Dude, you are full of it. You have no clue. Give up. Market share !=profit.

It was entirely predictable that android would overtake iOS. Should that bother Apple much? No, the companies that should be worried are Microsoft, rimm and nokia.

Apple takes the cream...no..it OWNS the cream!
  • Reply 102 of 120
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,261member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Dude, you are full of it. You have no clue. Give up. Market share !=profit.

I think the rest of us are trying ignore rather than respond.\
  • Reply 103 of 120
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Except iOS is not actually a "smartphone platform."

That is simply not true.

"We never saw ourselves in a platform war with Microsoft, and maybe that’s why we lost." - Steve Jobs

http://www.cultofmac.com/the-top-10-...n-review/73792

Nevermind. I didn't read closely enough. You're right. iOS is not *only* smart phones. My bad.
  • Reply 104 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

It was entirely predictable that android would overtake iOS.

Speak for yourself. Do you predict that Android tablets will relegate the iPad to niche status? I remember many comments predicting that Android would never gain traction, but now it outsells IOS on phones by a factor of more than 2:1.

But I see few predictions that Android will ever dominate the tablet market.
  • Reply 105 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Analogies often fail to prove a point. Usually too many variables. I really try to avoid them.

True... but I couldn't just say his analogy was a fail without explaining why...
  • Reply 106 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleLover2 View Post

Speak for yourself. Do you predict that Android tablets will relegate the iPad to niche status? I remember many comments predicting that Android would never gain traction, but now it outsells IOS on phones by a factor of more than 2:1.

Maybe a few people did say that but anyone with a clue (ie - most people on this forum) just ignored them as much we ignore the trolls (I made an exception just for you).
  • Reply 107 of 120
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

I can't believe that you guys all got sucked into that blatant trollfest. What were you thinking?

Quote:

thanks for the kudos!

But really, with such idiots, I don't deserve all the credit

I wasn't giving you any. But thanks for the entertainment.
  • Reply 108 of 120
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

The iPhone is over 50% of iOS device sales so even if you add all the iOS devices together Android would still be ahead although not by nearly as much..

The last quarter shows the iPhone being less than 50% of their unit sales.

In their Q3 2011 results Apple said they sold 20.34 million iPhones, 9.25 million iPads and 7.54 iPods (of which half were iPod touches). The iPhone was roughly 60% of iOS sales in Q3.
  • Reply 109 of 120
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
  • Reply 110 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Speaking of ouch:

http://www.infoworld.com/t/iphone/th...he-dust-168680

That was already the subject of a fairly lengthy thread yesterday.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...ext_model.html
  • Reply 111 of 120
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:

I believe that Apple's natural level lies at 30% market share, and anything above that is a bonus.

Within the first week or so of Androids introduction I was advising clients to quit development of Nokia/Blackberry applications and to focus purely on iOS/Android.

I do not believe that 30% is 'niche', that 'niche' (as you put it) will continue to earn Apple >50% of the market.

I will go on record now to say that Android (or Microsoft) will do well in the tablet market, eventually. How long Apple can retain it's current market share dominance depends on many factors legal and technical. I would also say that Microsoft still has a chance at unseating Android as the 'open' (I hate that term) business model.

In the long term only one 'open' model can survive. That's where the real battle lies.
  • Reply 112 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Who gives a shit if Android is that far ahead of Apple? I certainly don't. Apple isn't going anywhere, nor is Android.

Amen.
  • Reply 113 of 120
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

But for buyers, market share is a good thing to jump into ....

So, if I understand you correctly, you're saying that a higher market share is a good thing for the buyers of a product. Sorry, I don't "get that" thinking at all. Please help me out with an explanation .... I'm all ears.
  • Reply 114 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Perhaps you missed the most important sentence in the whole story.

i.e. "While the latest Canalys estimates represent sales and market share, Apple is far and away the market leader in terms of profits in the mobile industry".

Now I'm going to ask you, oh wise one, a trick question .... if you ran a company and could choose to "lead in one category only", which would you choose .... market share or profits ..... think carefully .... ouch.

I guess it's true ... we only see what we want to see.

Reminds me of an old SNL skit "First CityWide Change Bank".

"How do we make money doing this? It's simple....volume."
  • Reply 115 of 120
    cgrisarcgrisar Posts: 54member
    Quote:

So, if I understand you correctly, you're saying that a higher market share is a good thing for the buyers of a product. Sorry, I don't "get that" thinking at all. Please help me out with an explanation .... I'm all ears.

no market share, no installed base for attracting third parties to develop for the platform. No developers, no attraction of customers.

1+1=3

How hard can that be?

insult removed
  • Reply 116 of 120
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:

insult removed

That about says it all - thank you moderators!
  • Reply 117 of 120
    Quote:

Market share generally nets a large ecosystem. I have owned phones in the past for which I could not easily find, for example, a car charger. Buying a popular product often means wide choice in aftermarket accessories and easy-to-find service options.

I owned a SAAB in the 1970's (yeah, I think different ). The car had superior engineering and performance, compared to others, back in the day. But getting it repaired when it broke down on the side of the road in rural Louisiana was not easy. A part was needed, and the closest one was in Miami. I was in a motel for days. Had I been driving a popular car, parts would have been available locally, for cheap.
  • Reply 118 of 120
    cgrisarcgrisar Posts: 54member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

That about says it all - thank you moderators!

Well, considering the IQ level of the forum gang here, it wasn't an insult.

Not even a confirmation. It was a euphemism.
  • Reply 119 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

PS: Can you name one smartphone that has sold more units than the iPhone 4.

Almost certainly none. But how many iPhone4's have been sold? I don't think Apple has ever broken that down have they? Certainly possible the 3GS is selling nearly as well as the 4G in the US.

And while on the subject, up until very recently I didn't think that Apple had any reason to be concerned with Samsung's smartphone models. Figured they were a poor substitute for an iPhone for any true-blue Apple fan. But I got a huge shock reading a tweet from a British friend of mine this morning.

He's always been die-hard Apple, one of those that stands in line for hours on end to be one of the first with any new release. He's also an App Store developer, and beta-tester. Android? OK for those too poor to afford Apple. A few days ago he was offered a Samsung Galaxy S2 for a trial. So what did he think of it?

"I've just put my work SIM in the Galaxy S2, yes it's that damn good. Test/PAYG SIM now in the iPhone. My world has been turned upside down!"

Yes, it's just one voice. But one that carries some weight with other Apple users. Of course that doesn't mean he'd ever give up his iPhone. Overall, Android just isn't his cup of tea.
  • Reply 120 of 120
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

Market share generally nets a large ecosystem. I have owned phones in the past for which I could not easily find, for example, a car charger. Buying a popular product often means wide choice in aftermarket accessories and easy-to-find service options.

See, now that is where you and I will disagree.

To me, if I examine the true reason for market share in the Android system, for instance, I see something completely different. I see a system that most phone manufacturers choose based strictly on price .... and therefore, because of more companies going with Android, they have a larger market share .... but, as most of us know, larger is not always better .... in fact, larger is hardly ever better. Are "Big Macs" better than hamburgers than can be found at your favorite local "sit down" restaurant ? Not likely, and the same thing can be said for many products. IMHO "popularity" is quite often achieved by way of pricing .... and that method very seldom, if ever, produces quality.

It would seem, if you're using the "what's most popular" method of choosing your purchases, you're failing to find out what is really best for you because you're failing to do the research necessary to arrive at the best solution possible but rather, just assuming that the combined intelligence of a larger data base is better than your own powers of reasoning. An easier method, to be sure, but not nearly as effective.

Apple, for instance, although having a smaller market share, can be argued to have, by far, the better "ecosystem" ..... A better chain of dedicated Apple stores, a more dedicated philosophy to producing quality over price and, even more important, with the cost control built into their ecosystem by Tim Cook and others .... more competitive than ever. All of this can be, and is, verified by customer satisfaction survey after survey.

IMHO, market share, in the grand scheme of things, means absolutely nothing ....Cheers.