City of Cupertino posts further details on Apple mega-campus

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The City of Cupertino has revealed more details and renderings regarding Apple's plans to build a 2.8 million square-foot spaceship-like circular office building in the city.



The city is currently in the midst of its review process of Apple's plans. The first step of the review involves an environmental impact assessment that will evaluate traffic, noise, air quality and will provide the public with an opportunity for comment. Apple's proposal would then undergo a development review and public hearings at the Planning Commission and the City Council.



According to the company's plans, the four-story structure, dubbed "Apple Campus 2," would comprise approximately 2.8 million square feet. A Corporate Auditorium on the campus would seat 1,000 people, while new Research Facilities would take up 300,000 square feet.



Apple's objectives for the project are to "maximize efficiency and convenience" to its employees, create a "distinctive and inspiring 21st Century workplace," and "exceed economic social and environmental sustainability goals through integrated design and development."



The office space would support up to 13,000 employees. Apple is also looking to decrease its reliance on electricity provided by the city power grid by building its on-site Central Plant.







Apple CEO Steve Jobs first revealed the plans for the new campus in June at a city council meeting, describing the main office building as looking "a little like a spaceship landed." The proposed circular structure would use curved glass all the way around and may become "the best office building in the world," according to Jobs.











The company lists more than a dozen permits and approvals that it is seeking for the project.



Cupertino mayor Gilbert Wong has said that there is "no chance" the city council will not approve the structure. Neighboring cities have also responded positively to the project, in spite of a history of disagreements over major construction undertakings near the borders of Cupertino, Sunnyvale and Santa Clara.







The proposed site for the facility is a 150 acre property that Apple has pieced together, recently purchasing a large chunk of the future campus from Hewlett Packard.





























Apple last month reportedly leased 373,000 square feet of office space in Cupertino to house 1,300 of its workers while it awaits completion of its new campus in 2015.



The company's recent growth surge, led by sales of the iPhone and iPad, has left the company with cramped quarters for its burgeoning staff. According to Jobs, Apple has had to rent buildings "at an ever greater radius" from its current headquarters at One Infinite Loop, which hold roughly 2,600 employees.



Apple may in fact outgrow the proposed facility by the time it is completed, as the company already has 12,000 employees in the area.
«134567

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 124
    Wow the new, more detailed plans look better, and better. Can't wait for this to be built. GO APPLE!
  • Reply 2 of 124
    Apple should make this a six or seven story building to handle future expansion. Since they probably can't create anything higher than four stories above ground, they should create two or more underground levels all around the facility. They could keep all of the top secret stuff down there.
  • Reply 3 of 124
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    Ok so Steve Jobs and the integration of alien technology and now a building that could look like a space ship. Hmmm. As long as it makes me happy I am game.
  • Reply 4 of 124
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    I was poking around at their offices yesterday as it happens. Got my picture next to the infinite loop sign (yeah I know im sad) and ate at JB's, they make a mean pulled pork BBQ burger at that joint.
  • Reply 5 of 124
    yvo84yvo84 Posts: 84member
    The artist impressions make it look as though there's going to be no paths leading to the campus. And where is the parking lot?
  • Reply 6 of 124
    The church!
  • Reply 7 of 124
    sunbowsunbow Posts: 67member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yvo84 View Post


    The artist impressions make it look as though there's going to be no paths leading to the campus. And where is the parking lot?



    90% of the parking is going to be underground.
  • Reply 8 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yvo84 View Post




    The artist impressions make it look as though there's going to be no paths leading to the campus. And where is the parking lot?



    Check the other drawings... there are plans for both automobile and pedestrian traffic.



    There are 4,600 parking spaces under the building. And 4,300 spaces in a separate parking structure.



    Again... check the blueprints. They are actually pretty fascinating!
  • Reply 9 of 124
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,752member
    I hope it has a monorail running around as it will be a heck of a long walk if you need to go from one office to another that's 180 degrees away. Other than that it is awesome.
  • Reply 10 of 124
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,752member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post


    Ok so Steve Jobs and the integration of alien technology and now a building that could look like a space ship. Hmmm. As long as it makes me happy I am game.



    Maybe not alien, maybe he just brings back plans for stuff from our own future?
  • Reply 11 of 124
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Spaceship, huh? Is it really acceptable to use references to fiction without specifying the exact work of fiction? I don't believe that there is a consensus as to what a "spaceship" should look like, at least not within our boring majority of non-users of halucinogenic drugs...
  • Reply 12 of 124
    neilmneilm Posts: 989member
    So up to 13,000 employees and a bit more than half that number of parking spots. Although I note that the site is next to an existing I-280 interchange, it strikes me that managing that amount of traffic flow in and out of the campus could be a major challenge.
  • Reply 13 of 124
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post


    Apple should make this a six or seven story building to handle future expansion. Since they probably can't create anything higher than four stories above ground, they should create two or more underground levels all around the facility. They could keep all of the top secret stuff down there.



    And you're just completely ignoring that there are two basement levels already.
  • Reply 14 of 124




    Chemtrails?
  • Reply 15 of 124
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Beauty of Bath View Post


    Chemtrails?



    Please be making a joke.
  • Reply 16 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post


    Spaceship, huh? Is it really acceptable to use references to fiction without specifying the exact work of fiction? I don't believe that there is a consensus as to what a "spaceship" should look like, at least not within our boring majority of non-users of halucinogenic drugs...



    After the '51 version of The Day the Earth Stood Still was shown, people had the general notion that spaceships were round, like the proposed Apple campus, and that perception probably persisted until '66 when Star Trek first aired... then the general shape of the spaceship began to change in the public's mind (but, even the Enterprise still had that round shape as its main component).



    Now, if you type "spaceship" into Google (remembering that a puppy will die) and look at the images, then you'll see that the vast majority of spaceships are not round or anywhere close to round.
  • Reply 17 of 124
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post


    Spaceship, huh? Is it really acceptable to use references to fiction without specifying the exact work of fiction? I don't believe that there is a consensus as to what a "spaceship" should look like, at least not within our boring majority of non-users of halucinogenic drugs...



    Obviously a Jobsian spaceship would be based on close encounters



  • Reply 18 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


    I hope it has a monorail running around as it will be a heck of a long walk if you need to go from one office to another that's 180 degrees away. Other than that it is awesome.



    Well, one hopes there are doors along the side that faces the central arboretum. Then you could presumably cut across that.
  • Reply 19 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post


    Well, one hopes there are doors along the side that faces the central arboretum. Then you could presumably cut across that.



    There will be transporters in several key areas throughout the campus.
  • Reply 20 of 124
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post


    After the '51 version of The Day the Earth Stood Still was shown, people had the general notion that spaceships were round, like the proposed Apple campus, and that perception probably persisted until '66 when Star Trek first aired... then the general shape of the spaceship began to change in the public's mind (but, even the Enterprise still had that round shape as its main component).



    Now, if you type "spaceship" into Google (remembering that a puppy will die) and look at the images, then you'll see that the vast majority of spaceships are not round or anywhere close to round.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post


    Obviously a Jobsian spaceship would be based on close encounters




    I know I'm in a very obscure minority, but to me a spaceship will always be something like this:



Sign In or Register to comment.