Mac OS X install base grows to over 6% worldwide, 13% in the US

Comments

• Reply 21 of 123
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WardC View Post

I never "switched" -- I started on the Mac, my first computer was a Macintosh LC II, 16MHz 4MB RAM, 40MB Hard Drive, when I was 10 years old. Every computer I have owned was a Mac, I have only been exposed to Windows a few times, and that was on school computers, etc when we had to use it.

Well, you're a rarity. But Macs were quite pricey, unless you bought them a couple years outdated back then (even now people still think they're pricey). Apple has never played the bargain basement game, so most people looking for something cheap (the vast majority of PCs sold) will never get exposed to Apple's products (and therefore never buy them). It's sort of a catch-22. With the iPad, it's harder to undercut Apple, especially if the price difference isn't even 100 dollars. Amazon might introduce a tablet for $250, but even then, it definitely won't have the capabilities or the flourish of the iPad. And so it's quite possible that Apple might actually dominate the mobile market in the future, because of the iPad.

Thankfully though, more people are starting to see the light (thanks to iPad and iPods), since they realize that Mac computers have all these cool features that make your life easier
  • Reply 22 of 123
    Quote:

I never "switched" -- I started on the Mac, my first computer was a Macintosh LC II, 16MHz 4MB RAM, 40MB Hard Drive, when I was 10 years old. Every computer I have owned was a Mac, I have only been exposed to Windows a few times, and that was on school computers, etc when we had to use it.

Wow. Guess who has that exact model of computer sitting in his bedroom right now?

Small world, innit?
  • Reply 23 of 123
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

I am surprised it not higher in the US. I think those numbers will change on the next reporting cycle.

Lion will push those numbers higher....

I really don't see the correlation to Lion. Lion isn't really a selling point for switchers or first time buyers, which is pretty much the only way to increase your percentage of the installed base. Those types of buyers are just buying the Apple brand. They probably have not even heard about Lion. It is not advertised on TV. In my opinion Lion is actually quite screwed up, but hopefully that won't deter Mac sales growth.
  • Reply 24 of 123
    Quote:

If I am reading this right, it means that the wide majority of iPhone and iPad users are still Windows users and not Mac owners.

Well, I technically still own a Windows PC (as far as statistics go), but I don't use it for anything except games. If more game studios would port their stuff to Mac, I could ditch the PC entirely.
  • Reply 25 of 123
    Quote:

Hopefully you are a graphic designer, otherwise you must not have had many real world jobs.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Wow. Guess who has that exact model of computer sitting in his bedroom right now?

Are you a pack rat? I've probably thrown away $100,000 worth of Macs over the years. (now days we recycle them.)
  • Reply 26 of 123
    Deleted duplicate post.
  • Reply 27 of 123
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I can't find the page but I seem to recall it was around 60 / 40 to the PC side for iPads.

Talk about a Trojan Horse!
  • Reply 28 of 123
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

I suppose this is just a percentage of computers and not users. Many people use Windows, OS X, and Linux. I don't know anybody that uses Sun. That must be from businesses. I have OS X Leopard, Ubuntu, and Vista. I use them in that order. I hate Vista.

It would be interesting to know how many people use each exclusively. There are surely people who only use Windows or OS X. How many people use Linux exclusively without any other OS? I doubt very many.

Are there any people here who have bought a Mac and still like Windows better? I've wondered about that for a while.

On the last question. I've known many switchers that say that for a few months as they feel lost at sea for a while. Then, in my experience, they start to love their Mac. I've never known one switch back by choice.
  • Reply 29 of 123
    Quote:

I suppose this is just a percentage of computers and not users. Many people use Windows, OS X, and Linux. I don't know anybody that uses Sun. That must be from businesses. I have OS X Leopard, Ubuntu, and Vista. I use them in that order. I hate Vista.

Same here. I look at it as different tools. I have a rubber mallet, a sledge hammer, and a finish hammer. Likewise I use Windows mostly for Office and Autocad, Linux as servers and Mac for graphics, email, music and web browsing.

The way they get the metrics is by web browsing history. Not too many people browse the web using a Linux server.
  • Reply 30 of 123
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

True... 92% seems like a formidable number but if that drops even 2% then that's an area of concern because it's 2% taken away from MS revenues... shareholders tend to like seeing numbers go up but not down... especially if it's shown that that 92% is part of a shrinking market (ie. even if MS stays at 92% but the global number of pc's drops then that's a problem).

The future, though, is mobile and right now MS has a real problem in that area.

Moreover, it's not just the '92%'. It's who that 92% is, in terms of socioeconomic attributes such as income, education, and achievement. I am willing to bet - and it must be a HUGE source of angst for Microsoft - that every lost piece of share happens from the top down on each of those attributes (rather than from the bottom up).
  • Reply 31 of 123
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Hopefully you are a graphic designer, otherwise you must not have had many real world jobs

Thats a sweepingly silly - almost stupid - statement.
  • Reply 32 of 123
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

On the last question. I've known many switchers that say that for a few months as they feel lost at sea for a while. Then, in my experience, they start to love their Mac. I've never known one switch back by choice.

I loved Leopard from the start. It took a couple of days to learn a few things about the different sections. The thing is I didn't need to change very much. Leopard recognized every peripheral device immediately. I only changed the mouse settings because I like the cursor to move faster and I changed how right clicking worked on the trackpad. When I got a Logitech Trackball I loaded a disc for that and set it up.

In Vista the Task Manager must be open at all times so that I can kill frozen programs. Even when the Vista machine was new that was necessary. I really need to find a way to eject Windows from my life.
  • Reply 33 of 123
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Hopefully you are a graphic designer, otherwise you must not have had many real world jobs.

Are you being intentionally dense?

Quote:

Are you a pack rat? I've probably thrown away $100,000 worth of Macs over the years. (now days we recycle them.)

So you're rich. Big deal. I got the aforementioned LC II for three dollars.
  • Reply 34 of 123
    Yay...worldwide, Apple are now 1% above being statistically irrelevant.

Puts a lot of the recent 'successes' into focus.

Apple without iOS would be nowhere..
  • Reply 35 of 123
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archipellago View Post

Because taking 1/3 of the world's PC profits means they are a failure.
  • Reply 36 of 123
    Quote:

I loved Leopard from the start. It took a couple of days to learn a few things about the different sections. The thing is I didn't need to change very much. Leopard recognized every peripheral device immediately. I only changed the mouse settings because I like the cursor to move faster and I changed how right clicking worked on the trackpad. When I got a Logitech Trackball I loaded a disc for that and set it up.

In Vista the Task Manager must be open at all times so that I can kill frozen programs. Even when the Vista machine was new that was necessary. I really need to find a way to eject Windows from my life.

I have to use it but Windows 7 running in VMWare on my Macs is all I need. I'd get rid of Vista ASAP if I were you though.
  • Reply 37 of 123
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Because taking 1/3 of the world's PC profits means they are a failure.

Only one-third!? Fail.
  • Reply 38 of 123
    At what point statistically will OS X need to reach before the Apple OS takes off? What is the growth rate of OS X users? There must be some point where everybody will have a best friend or relative who praises how good OS X is compared to Windows.

One thing that might happen is OS X will never reach the masses in the low end market. Apple will just get people to purchase iPads. IPads might start to take over the PC industry instead of laptop versions with OS X. Several people here have already mentioned that their iPads are their main devices, and that they go back to their laptops or desktops only for certain more difficult tasks. Aftermarket keyboards for iPads just might help the iPad to really decimate the low end laptop business. IPads are growing in number very quickly. That makes me believe people will keep their older desktop and laptop computers for specialized tasks and just buy iPads on a regular basis.
  • Reply 39 of 123
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archipellago View Post

Yay...worldwide, Apple are now 1% above being statistically irrelevant.

Puts a lot of the recent 'successes' into focus.

Apple's market cap really seems to support your theory, oh wait a minute ...

p.s. I know I shouldn't rise to the bait
  • Reply 40 of 123
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I have to use it but Windows 7 running in VMWare on my Macs is all I need. I'd get rid of Vista ASAP if I were you though.

There is no way I'll spend money on Microsoft products right now. My Vista experience has been so bad that I just hate MS for putting it out. They stole more than one work week worth of hours from me because of needing to be on the telephone with tech support.

I don't work in the programming field so I don't really need a Microsoft product. What I do need it for is to stream videos from Starz. They aren't set up for Mac or Linux. I have a web site creation program that only works in Windows. The only other thing I use in Windows is an encryption program for PDF files. When Linux and OS X can do everything for me I'll be done with Microsoft.