Sprint buys 30.5M iPhones from Apple for $20B in 'bet-the-company' move

Comments

• Reply 61 of 180
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Akac View Post

Personally I think it makes sense. LTE chip sets are not near being usable yet. The iPhone 5 may already be ready, except for LTE. Sprint has had WiMax for a long time now so their chipsets are more mature. So give Sprint exclusive iPhone 5 access for 6 months - that lets LTE chipsets mature and then give AT&T and Verizon an iPhone 5 with a more mature LTE chipset.

We already know there is no LTE iPhone coming until next year. So at best all this does is give Sprint a 4G iPhone sooner.

That might be it - Wimax before LTE. That's enough of a distinction for Sprint but no serious compromise for Apple.
  • Reply 62 of 180
    stevetimstevetim Posts: 482member
    Not saying i believe this rumor, but you know if att/verizon continued to play hardball on a phone that can transfer from one network to another, I would do stuff like this to show them who is boss.
  • Reply 63 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

I'll believe it when I see it.

Just believe! You'll see it if you believe it.
  • Reply 64 of 180
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

30 million iPhones is really only 15 million customers. Every Sprint user will need to buy 2, one for voice, one for data, since CDMA can't do both at the same time.

Not true for WiMAX or LTE.
  • Reply 65 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

Not saying i believe this rumor, but you know if att/verizon continued to play hardball on a phone that can transfer from one network to another, I would do stuff like this to show them who is boss.

Twitter is full of similar echos. Dan Hesse must be smiling now.
  • Reply 66 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So would dual-mode CDMA/LTE. The benefit there being the phone could be used on 4G networks that will exist in more than in twenty cities (ever) in one country of the phone's market.

btw LTE is CDMA
  • Reply 67 of 180
    So is that going to be the big announcement tomorrow? This year's phone is basically last year's phone but all the carriers will have it? If that's the case, okay, it's better than nothing.

I just hope when all these carriers get the iPhone, competition will set in and monthly rates can go down. I love my iPhone, I just don't always like paying a minimum of $85/month to have it.

If there is no iPhone 5 tomorrow, and just a 4s, the one big thing they can do to save face is make everything dirt cheap.
  • Reply 68 of 180
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

Guys, there is nothing 'cool', 'smart' or 'savvy' about this. A move like this would be, if Apple actually did it, one of THE most idiotic business moves of the year if not decade. That said, it's just a dumb idea and a really bizarro story that somebody dreamed up. Just think about it. In order to believe this is true, one has to accept that:

1) Apple would spend the last 16 months developing a new and groundbreaking design, and then intentionally tie it to a carrier who represents < 18% of the subscriber market in the US, AND:

2) That Apple would do this just because that carrier promissed to buy 30.5 million phones over a four year period (just 7.6 million a year), DESPITE:

3) The fact that AT&T and Verizon sell about 24 million iPhones a year, which would be 116 million devices over the same four period (as opposed to 30), and DESPITE:

4) The fact that it would immediately anger millions upon millions of customers who are currently locked into contracts with Verizon and / or AT&T but who would otherwise be eligible for early upgrades, and DESPITE:

5) The fact that it would massively alienate their current carrier partners.

It's just a stupid, STUPID story, with a capital 'S'.

Hold on quick draw... keep in mind this is NOT an either or story, but a first to market (by about 6 months)story. Lets see, GUARANTEED sale of 30.5million phones from Sprint AND 6 months later NEAR GUARANTEED sales from ATT/Verizon .. in exchang I (apple) spend ~ 500 million on the inerds for sprint... VS just do LTE inerds and maybe later... on my own dime do Sprint. Seems pretty smart business decision by Apple, if true.
  • Reply 69 of 180
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

btw LTE is CDMA

Nope. Not at all. I once thought the same.
  • Reply 70 of 180
    tt92618tt92618 Posts: 444member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

Wait... you are saying that as a CEO / business leader, you would permanently alienate a huge portion of your customers, lose out on device sales to a tune of nearly 4 to 1, and permanently alienate the two largest carriers in the nation... to prove you are a macho head honcho?

Silliness.
  • Reply 71 of 180
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shen View Post

Hard to see a move like this from any company for an Android phone...

Money talks, bullshit walks.
  • Reply 72 of 180
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:

So would dual-mode CDMA/LTE. The benefit there being the phone could be used on 4G networks that will exist in more than in twenty cities (ever) in one country of the phone's market.

OUCH! Still feels like AT&T is in a good position UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+ parlay.
  • Reply 73 of 180
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

I am sure the Android fans will claim that Sprint is simply caving in to the media created frenzy in order to market an inferior product (the iPhone) and that only by shoring up their portfolio with the 87 different varieties of Android hardware and software combinations will Sprint survive or remain relevant in the US market. I mean, come on people, Android based devices have a larger screen, a removable battery, AND more buttons on the front than the iPhone, so they are clearly superior. Oh, and don't forget that you have the freedom to try to figure out just where the heck you are supposed to get apps to load on your Android device that are safe and won't be rendered obsolete in 3 months when the Tootsie-Pop version of the OS comes out - no, wait I mean the Fruit-Roll-Up version - no, no wait, the Pop-Tart version.

Oh yeah - and Betamax is better than VHS, just you wait and see.

You're just as bad. Not a single fandroid has chimed in and you didn't even add a positive/negative comment on the article. If it wasn't for android you'd have nothing to say.
  • Reply 74 of 180
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Hold on quick draw... keep in mind this is NOT an either or story, but a first to market (by about 6 months)story. Lets see, GUARANTEED sale of 30.5million phones from Sprint AND 6 months later NEAR GUARANTEED sales from ATT/Verizon .. in exchang I (apple) spend ~ 500 million on the inerds for sprint... VS just do LTE inerds and maybe later... on my own dime do Sprint. Seems pretty smart business decision by Apple, if true.

So why would they release it for 6 months to Sprint only? In the same mentioned 6 months if released on all 3 (AT&T, Verizon, Sprint) they would sell a lot more than 30 million devices especially during the holidays coming up. Also all the repots say that almost half of the people who own smart phones want to upgrade to the IP5 whether in contract or out of contract. So this reports makes no sense from a logic standapoint and from a sheer numbers standpoint. Sprint can guarantee they will sell 30 mil IP5 but those numbers are already guaranteed and more if released to all 3 top carriers....
  • Reply 75 of 180
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

btw LTE is CDMA

Wrong, LTE is GSM based. All of VZWs LTE phones have a SIM card.
  • Reply 76 of 180
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    I think Sprint will get limited exclusivity, which will not include AT&T and/or Verizon. So, the only carrier it will effect is T-Mobile.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

For this *rumor*, all so-called sources trace back to a WSJ article. WSJ tends to get accurate scoop when the 12th hour approaches. This also explains the pattern of *leaks* about 4S, to some extent.

On the other hand, is $30B enough to buy Apple?

I wonder if what Spring gets is an iPhone that looks different but otherwise has the same features and specs. Or, perhaps, it's a limited period of exclusivity (say 6 months).

And, how does this shake out in other parts of the world?

Regardless, if this is true, the center of gravity may be shifting.

• Reply 77 of 180
    sylvsylv Posts: 1member
    30.5 million phones on 4 years for $20B, that's $655 / phone if i didn't get lost in all the 0. That doesn't sound like a big discount... And isn't the price of the IP5 going to drop in 12 month like all old IPs ?
  • Reply 78 of 180
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

So why would they release it for 6 months to Sprint only? In the same mentioned 6 months if released on all 3 (AT&T, Verizon, Sprint) they would sell a lot more than 30 million devices especially during the holidays coming up. Also all the repots say that almost half of the people who own smart phones want to upgrade to the IP5 whether in contract or out of contract. So this reports makes no sense from a logic standapoint and from a sheer numbers standpoint. Sprint can guarantee they will sell 30 mil IP5 but those numbers are already guaranteed and more if released to all 3 top carriers....

Because its the deal.

Art of the negotiation.. sprint comes to Apple and says we need the iphone; Apple probable said... 'go pound sand'. ... 'errr... unless'.

Sprint was losing marketshare... what to do, what to do.

So as you point out, Apple alreadys knows they have the sales to Verizon and ATT, now or six months from now... so leverage Sprint to the hilt. Masterful... if true.
  • Reply 79 of 180
    Quote:

Nope. Not at all. I once thought the same.

you're right. LTE uses OFDMA, as can WiMAX.
  • Reply 80 of 180
    tt92618tt92618 Posts: 444member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

I think Sprint will get limited exclusivity, which will not include AT&T and/or Verizon. So, the only carrier it will effect is T-Mobile.

Explain to me how denying the player with just 12% of market share, but allowing the rest of the players to have the device... is in any way a form of 'exclusivity'?

The whole story is just bogus - it completely defies logic and sounds more like an attempt to manipulate stock prices than anything else.