Apple unveils iPhone 4S with A5 CPU and 4G-like data speeds

Comments

• Reply 381 of 641
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,215member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

Does the population at large think it is important to have the fastest data network first? No I don't think so. Only a select few. Most people, the 90%, want to use a device with the least amount of friction as possible.

I think new buyers and those upgrading are going for the Android 4G phones in huge numbers. Take a look at the reported top 10 selling android phones. None are inexpensive and more than half are advertised as. . . 4G.

It's a better selling point than you give it credit for.

http://blendblogger.com/2011/09/05/t...d-cell-phones/
  • Reply 382 of 641
    jiggzjiggz Posts: 31member
    Entirely new internals, including faster processor, antenna and camera, and a new operating system sounds like a nice new phone to me. Looks like everyone is upset because people won't be able to tell they have the NEWEST one and not the not-as-new one... oh no cell phone bragging right turmoil!!!
  • Reply 383 of 641
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    "How does this differ from Android? Well, for starters, Android populates your status bar at the top of the device with the icon of the app from which you received a notification, and when you run out of screen space, it hides the rest. To see your actual notifications, you pull down the notification pane, and they are listed in there in order from newest to oldest. And you have zero control over those notifications. All you can do is clear them all, or tap them one by one, which brings you into the app that notified you, until they are all clear. You can’t prioritize, choose the sort order, determine what apps you want to actually be in that drawer ? nothing."

"Beyond Apple’s superior Notification Center UI and the great widget support, initially for weather forecasts and a real-time stock ticker, the company that usually doesn’t give users such fine grain control completely delivers this time. Notification Center lets you chose not only the order in which your notifications are sorted, but also how many notifications from each app you’d like to display (either 1, 5, or 10), and whether or not they appear on the lock screen. This alone is invaluable —"

How Apple stole notifications from Android and beat them with iOS 5

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LogicNReason View Post

"the notifications are better" This comment is so misplaced and fanboy-ed I won't even give it a response.

• Reply 384 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amtwwg View Post

I'm no fool and I don't use my phone in any extraordinary way. In fact, just last night, I went to a concert, changed the battery before I left, knowing I'd never get through the evening without doing so and guess what, it didn't even last through the opening act. It was fully charged and I basically did nothing with it. I had 4g turned off, never have wifi turned in and the battery couldn't even get through an evening. And this is not a strange occurrence. So I'd say, based on my experience, you are an android apologist liar. Because poor battery life is all software. And the EVO can't touch the Iphone for battery life. ONLY you claim otherwise, not even HTC would make such an easily debunked claim.

I never claimed that the Evo's life is comparable to the iPhone. In fact, I'm well aware that they're not even close. However, what you are claiming is a completely strange occurrence. As someone who works with Android phones (particularly the Evo) everyday I can tell you that you probably need a new battery/your battery is damaged. HTC offered an update to stop the stray processes running on the Evo a month or two after it was released. On top of the fact that Gingerbread further improved this. I'm not saying that the Evo even comes close to the iPhone for battery life, it doesn't. What I am saying is your experience is unusual. Don't project it on everyone.
  • Reply 385 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by booradley View Post

I have a 3gs and will wait for the iPhone 5. Disappointed with this update. After 16 months there should have been more.

Here's what the iPhone 5 will have, plus more. It will pass the competition, not just catch up to it.

Faster processor than the 4s has.

1 gig of ram or more. The 4s only has 512, same as the 4.

Much better battery life.

LTE

4K video

Different design with bigger screen

Better camera

Apple's own GPS that will do turn by turn and more

The screen on the 4 and 4s is nice but the 5 will make a much bigger leap.

It's worth waiting for it. I can't afford to get locked into another 2 years for the minor upgrades the 4s has.

Very disappointing Apple. A classy MS move here.

I have a hard time understand how Apple has "failed" here. Are you seriously disappointed that Apple didn't beat others in the camera megapixel war???

I think you're missing the big picture. If a phone is nothing more than the sum of its hardware specs, then you'd go, gee it only has 512Mb of RAM like it actually meant something. And yeah, the spec whores out there will think that way. But Apple isn't selling specs, they're selling the complete user experience. So yeah, the iPhone 4S has 512Mb of RAM, but then it's the only mobile platform for games like Infinity Blade 2 and RAGE. Or that Apple has balanced great battery life, portability, and capability, rather than just go all out and make the biggest, least pocketable phone with the shortest battery life. Third, you have to remember that iCloud and Siri improve the user experience and add to the platform's core value proposition. These incremental improvements are a net gain for the platform. Apple took nothing away: they added more hardware, improved user experience, and did not raise the price over last year's model.
  • Reply 386 of 641
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by delToros View Post

Actually, you can't compare 3g-3gs evolution with 4g-4gs. Let me explain you why

Both these iphones had speed upgrade. But in 3gs you could actually "fell the difference" - tons of new improved games and apps.

But this dual core cpu is worthless. For more than a year of ip4 run we saw only few games/apps, which could show us "magic" of a4 cpu. a5 maybe good for infinity blade 2, but this is a) the only game for next six-seven moths which will use full potential of dualcore b) very stupid and boring game. I've bought it once to see graphics, but now I don't need some minor shadow/light improvements.

There is no possibility to use these speed on iphone. Such speed requires bigger screen and better inputs (aka mouse or keyboard).

WTF? Why would you need a bigger screen to get more performance?

I have an iPhone 4. Loading TapZoo (which isn't even that demanding of a game) can take 10 seconds or more with the size of zoo I have. ZombieFarm is similar - or longer. Not to mention that even simple apps take a few seconds to load. More speed is definitely useful.

Of course, if you don't want it, not one is making you buy it.

Quote:

Antenna? I really dont want to disappoint anyone, but 90% of speed depends on your carrier, network load and other factors. You could attach satellite dish to iphone, but you will still be in limits of average (NOT THEORETICAL) speed.

That's insane. Unless you're always operating at your carrier's maximum transmission speed, a better antenna helps. Not to mention that the chipset is apparently better with a higher top speed.

Quote:

The only real improvement - is camera, but still smartphone is not a camera even with 10Mp

So you're one of those who can't tell the difference between number of pixels and picture quality. Gotcha.

At 8 MP with 73% greater light gathering capability, this will be a very nice camera. My iPhone 4 takes great pictures unless there's not enough light out there. 60% more pixels with 73% more light gathering will go a long way.

Quote:

Voice-control-thing is funny, but in real life nothing more than "Oh, look what my iphone can do"

Really? You've used it? You can tell us that no one is going to find any value in Siri?

Quote:

That is why this presentation is sad

No, what sad is the number of people who want Apple to work miracles every year and when Apple produces a product that is significantly better in every way but the screen size and case, they whine endlessly as if Apple beat up their baby sister.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

I doubt this. Android has similar voice actions on phones with much older hardware and less processing power.

Really? What Android app does what Siri does? Or does it as well?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

Voice commands just aren't as demanding as say multi-tasking.

Baloney. Voice recognition has always been recognized as having a serious demand for CPU performance. Multitasking? Not so much - especially the way the iPhone does it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lionelhuts View Post

I'm not denying that the A5 is faster. I'm an electrical engineer so I can definitely appreciate the technical differences. However, the business part of me still has to ask about the change in experience for the typical user. In terms of the tasks that most people will do on their phone, will they really notice a difference?

Sure, games (for instance) may run better, but is that enough? Honestly, I use my iPhone for running Safari, Email, Music, Phone, and maybe a few simple games. At a certain point, the additional power does not become useful.

Let's see - games, web browser, picture editing, application switching, faster camera, etc. The faster CPU is going to help precisely those things that most average people do.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Yeah, I read the coverage and thought: Apple took a very successful product and made it better without raising the price, then lowered the price on last year's models to compete on the low end. How is this a failure? Most fandroids are complaining about the same things they complained about before: lack of 4G speed, same antenna, no dual core CPU, no voice command, clunky notifications, lack of an 8 megapixel camera. Oh wait, never mind. They're just complaining it looks like the 4 and is called 4S instead of 5.

Exactly.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

So you're point is that you're so uninformed about the market that you think that a one day price swing is a valid indication of whether a product is any good or not? Yes, you did manage to prove that point very well.
  • Reply 387 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

"How does this differ from Android? Well, for starters, Android populates your status bar at the top of the device with the icon of the app from which you received a notification, and when you run out of screen space, it hides the rest. To see your actual notifications, you pull down the notification pane, and they are listed in there in order from newest to oldest. And you have zero control over those notifications. All you can do is clear them all, or tap them one by one, which brings you into the app that notified you, until they are all clear. You can?t prioritize, choose the sort order, determine what apps you want to actually be in that drawer ? nothing."

"Beyond Apple?s superior Notification Center UI and the great widget support, initially for weather forecasts and a real-time stock ticker, the company that usually doesn?t give users such fine grain control completely delivers this time. Notification Center lets you chose not only the order in which your notifications are sorted, but also how many notifications from each app you?d like to display (either 1, 5, or 10), and whether or not they appear on the lock screen."

How Apple stole notifications from Android and beat them with iOS 5

"You can?t prioritize, choose the sort order, determine what apps you want to actually be in that drawer ? nothing"

This is entirely false. Nearly every app has options for what you want to do with notifications. The difference is iOS has the options built in, while Android has the apps decide which options they should allow to change.

"Beyond Apple?s superior Notification Center UI and the great widget support" superior UI is subjective, and Android notifications have had widget support since they were announced with 2.1.

Dear god, debunking all these lies is mking me sound like an Android fanboy Can you people learn about the opposing OSes before you start bashing them or regurgitating blogs on the internet?
  • Reply 388 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Apple never promised that it would have a microwave built in.

No, but AppleInsider did
  • Reply 389 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

The Nexus Prime announcement is going to be very interesting indeed. The Nexus S is in some ways already superior to the 4S, but if the Nexus Prime rumours (yes I know, rumours are useless etc) are true - 4.5" 720p screen... Then I imagine it will tempt more than a few disappointed iPhone owners away, including me.

Only the spec whores.
  • Reply 390 of 641
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I think new buyers and those upgrading are going for the Android 4G phones in huge numbers. Take a look at the reported top 10 selling android phones. None are inexpensive and more than half are advertised as. . . 4G.

It's a better selling point than you give it credit for.

http://blendblogger.com/2011/09/05/t...d-cell-phones/

Yet not a single one of those Android 4G phones outsells even Apple's last generation (3GS) phone. And now that they have the 4GS, it's not out of the question that we might see Apple have the top 3 phones on the market (although I suspect that the 3GS will drop to somewhere in the top 10 training the iPhone 4 and 4S which will probably be #1 and #2).
  • Reply 391 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

No. If Apple hasn't produced a successful design, they will suffer for it. It's true in sports as well. (I live in Houston, and maybe you know the Oilers history here). Apple's developed a strong brand to withstand mistakes, as sports teams do, but if they continue to fail, they'll suffer for it. Apple was on the brink of going out of business in 1996-1997 after-all.

Really it boils down to "best overall experience" is a better market strategy then "best 'specs'". If you think the best best "specs" is the winning strategy, you don't know Apple. I put specs in quotes because in reality they are just a feature lists. Specifications could be anything from animation rate at 30 fps for all scrolling to the device shall be no more than 10 mm in thickness. And every company games these feature lists one way or the other: cell data service is not unlimited even though it is marketed as such, a device is not 9 mm thick when there are bumps 10 mm thick, battery life advertised at 8 hours should not be based on some hyper-optimum condition of no software load, lab perfect radio conditions, etc.

But I digress, Apple as company makes a choice for you on many things. They believe it produces a better product. Given this, what do you think serves the product, the company, better: LTE at 4 hrs battery life or CDMA at 8 hrs battery life? Which would you bet your billion dollar company on? Which would produce better user satisfaction?

He doesn't bet on the future. He just makes snarky "maybe" comments about how Apple has jumped the shark... but then won't commit about Apple's success or failure.

Apple's specs are great other than screen size... and I sure as hell won't trade the great experience I get from the iPhone for something that gives me a bigger screen and nothing else.
  • Reply 392 of 641
    richwlrichwl Posts: 30member
    Well, I can tell you this. I know ton's of iPhone owners, and not a single one of them has turned in any iPhone model for an Android phone. In fact, I only know people who have done the opposite and never looked back. Just like very few people that switch to a Mac go back to Windows. Bottom line from what I see is if you like Apple products you are very likely to stick with them. Things like not offering LTE network access isn't going to make someone that loves Apple products and has all of their media already set up in iTunes switch over. Particularly given the extremely limited availability of LTE networks right now. Plus, we're talking about a phone here as well. Speaking for myself I care much more about faster Internet access at home, on my laptop or iPad. Don't get me wrong, faster is better, but I would never buy an Android device simply because of it.
  • Reply 393 of 641
    Well, definitely not the iPhone I was hoping for, but Siri should make the iPhone 4S worthwhile.

I'm looking forward to October 14th to go and pick up my new iPhone 4S and to begin given some outrageous commands.
  • Reply 394 of 641
    As I write this there are 383 posts to this thread.

I'd wager that 90% of the negative or dissatisfied posts are from well known fandroids or outright trolls!

Then there's that guy that every [Apple] product he buys has to be returned or replaced... several times!

I just don't understand how Apple can stay in business -- building inferior products and ignoring the customers' needs and desires.
  • Reply 395 of 641
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Does anyone know why the standby time drops to 200 hours (from 300) for the new iPhone?
  • Reply 396 of 641
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

iPhone 4S will be the fastest selling smartphone in history. There is your prediction. Call me a fool!

+1 awesome just awesome.
  • Reply 397 of 641
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,215member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

He doesn't bet on the future. He just makes snarky "maybe" comments about how Apple has jumped the shark... but then won't commit about Apple's success or failure.

Apple's specs are great other than screen size... and I sure as hell won't trade the great experience I get from the iPhone for something that gives me a bigger screen and nothing else.

Absolutely true. Apple has an amazing product with a great reputation. Do remember that when comparing smartphone sales that the Android phones they're compared to generally are sold on just a single carrier, unlike Apple's iPhone, particularly the 4G. Many may not understand that, not that it means much really. Unless you're insecure with your choice of smartphone, I don't know why it would matter that you bought the most popular one (unless you're a stockholder)
  • Reply 398 of 641
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

This was and is a market-leading phone, and with iOS5 (with iCloud and Siri baked right in) it maintain's Apple's incredible user experience over Android.

Period.

• Reply 399 of 641
    hjbhjb Posts: 278member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pirarre View Post

I was hoping for something a little bit amazing. To me this is just another iphone 4 with beefed up specs. Just like the Droid line of Android phones. I don't know if I want to get this or the Galaxy S II Epic Touch (Sprint). It seems like every feature they're talking about is already implemented in Android. And no I'm not an Android Fan Boy..I'm a smartphone fan boy.

So, can we call this time to Apple 'copycat'? I think yes, since Apple did to Samsung. 4th Oct 11 might be the turnning point for Apple.
  • Reply 400 of 641
    graxspoograxspoo Posts: 162member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Does anyone know why the standby time drops to 200 hours (from 300) for the new iPhone?

My guess would be the faster processor. CPU cycles aren't free.