First Look: Using iPhone 4S with Siri voice assistant

Comments

• Reply 141 of 219
    One other thing, I do wish it would more clearly understand some common pieces of speech - e.g. it's own name, and "Please" - I have what I consider to be a good habit of saying "Please" before or after my requests, yes yes I know I'm talking to a damned computer but it's just polite, you know? I also will sometimes say "Siri". It throws it off sometimes. doing these would make it a little more... human.

/seriously, we are training this thing to take over the world eventually, right?
  • Reply 142 of 219
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Twelve View Post

Siri works best with a headset.

Did Apple say this somewhere? The background noise reduction works best when you hold the phone to your head, not with a headset. It works because there are two microphones on the phone, one on top and one on the bottom. They both hear the same background noise, but the microphone on the bottom hears you voice a lot better. So the signal processing subtracts the top waveform from the bottom waveform--the noise cancels out and your voice is left. Headsets can't do this.
  • Reply 143 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chabig View Post

Did Apple say this somewhere? The background noise reduction works best when you hold the phone to your head, not with a headset. It works because there are two microphones on the phone, one on top and one on the bottom. They both hear the same background noise, but the microphone on the bottom hears you voice a lot better. So the signal processing subtracts the top waveform from the bottom waveform--the noise cancels out and your voice is left. Headsets can't do this.

Try Siri using the "included" ear buds and integrated microphone. Then repeat the same operations "open air." You'll see what I mean. Also, note that, in the Siri demonstration videos from Apple, everyone is either using the ear buds and integrated microphone (the jogger and the guy in the car), or they are in a relatively quiet environment (i.e. nobody speaking in the background, no television playing, no kids screaming, etc.) You can't "triangulate" audio easily since you'll get reflections from many surfaces.

Open air will work in many cases, but Siri will very seldom miss a beat if you're using the ear bud wired headset. Don't take my word for it. Try it!
  • Reply 144 of 219
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    Quote:

Try Siri using the "included" ear buds and integrated microphone. Then repeat the same operations "open air." You'll see what I mean. Also, note that, in the Siri demonstration videos from Apple, everyone is either using the ear buds and integrated microphone (the jogger and the guy in the car), or they are in a relatively quiet environment (i.e. nobody speaking in the background, no television playing, no kids screaming, etc.) You can't "triangulate" audio easily since you'll get reflections from many surfaces.

Open air will work in many cases, but Siri will very seldom miss a beat if you're using the ear bud wired headset. Don't take my word for it. Try it!

If by "open air" you mean holding the phone in front of you, then I agree a headset is better. Rather than holding the phone in front of your mouth, though, it's much much better to hold it to your head just like you are making a phone call. It'll handle the most noisy environments when you use it this way.
  • Reply 145 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diorfl21 View Post

I could care less if there were billions of new devices immediately accessing the Siri server my point is Apple should have planned for this.

My god, man, you are a whiner.
  • Reply 146 of 219
    sol77sol77 Posts: 203member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRR View Post

...it seems that another end game is that it should always be aware- and literally button free.. just announce Siri - and it activates.. but then again- it'd be nice to nam fit shithead too. or fartsmoker. or peen or. you know.. even uncle buck. or mr belvedere. or hank.

and of course- a wide variety of voices!

How about Jarvis?
  • Reply 147 of 219
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sol77 View Post

How about Jarvis?

Someone pointed that out to me, tonight. And I laughed out loud.
  • Reply 148 of 219
    linkgx1linkgx1 Posts: 742member
    Quote:

It's not the phone or Apple's servers. The problem is the carriers are having problems with the load and didn't do adequate IP address or bandwidth planning for this "worst case" scenario. Because everybody is running speedtest and trying out Siri, plus syncing to iCloud, playing with iTunes Match, etc., in addition to all the activations, it's worse than having something like 9/11 happen with everyone trying to place calls at the same time. Carriers don't have enough resources to support everyone simultaneously. They estimate an average load, add a small safety percentage, and hope for the best.

I hate to say it, but my beloved Sprint was the least prepared for this. AT&T was in good shape, but sold more phones than expected.

BTW, less is being done in NC than you think.

To be honest, with it's shares under $3, Sprint has a lot LESS customers than ATT. Not really a fair comparison. That's like saying traffic so much better in North Dakota than NYC...therefore the engineers are better at designing roads. \
  • Reply 149 of 219
    linkgx1linkgx1 Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RAMK View Post

is there any way i can have the Siri in my MAC?

She's hiding in Mac? I knew she was a dirty girl....
  • Reply 150 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by friedmud View Post

Here's a cool one. I just told Siri: "Every Wednesday morning when I leave the house remind me to take out the trash"... and it worked! She set up a recurring reminder for every Wednesday morning when I leave my home!

This worked on the very first try with no extra prompting or repeating required. I consider it to be a fairly complex request with multiple parts to figure out.

It really does feel like pretty good AI is behind Siri and it's just going to get better over time.

Wait until Wednesday comes... and Siri tells you to take out the trash... and you realize that you are now in your car 3 blocks from your home when it does in fact correctly remind you. Or worse, in the bus with no way to get back.
  • Reply 151 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

If it were just a little bit wider and maybe a tiny bit thinner, you'd buy it.

I already did. Ive gone with each iteration, and honestly - the cost is well worth it. the real cost in the use is the plan.

what i meant was i would prefer if the screen viewable area was greater, but the size of the phone changed only in that the drive was thinner, i would prefer it more.

One thing apple can do, but are unlikely, is to significantly increase the size of the phone (like some of the 4 inch droid types - and this would prevent a lot of people buying it.
  • Reply 152 of 219
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diorfl21 View Post

I could care less if there were billions of new devices immediately accessing the Siri server my point is Apple should have planned for this. This is the 5th iPhone launch now and they STILL cant get it right ?! I have had each model and EVERY time its a nightmare ! I feel that Apple had MORE than enough time ( considering the phone didn't launch till Oct. ) to prepare for what they should have assumed would be a very successful launch! In this article I was trying to say that my partners works just fine, he was able to make routes, alarms and all no problems. We activated our phones at the same time and my experience was different than his! His Siri works very well, mine can't seem to connect to the network STILL! Kinks should have been expected and compensated for before the launch of this new phone and integrated app!

Just take your phone back and quit gripping. Problem solved.
  • Reply 153 of 219
    For all those disappointed in the iPhone display size, lack of new form factor...

Have a look at this concept video:

iphone 5

Several (maybe 5-6) years ago, Japan's KDDI had a concept video titled:

Knock! Knock! Ubiquitous.

(Sorry I can't find a link)

It showed a transparent phone/PDA similar in size to the iPhone shown above.

Interestingly, AIR, the KDDI device had:

-- GPS

-- Siri-like voice interaction and control

-- Notifications, reminders, etc.

-- Online one-step shopping/payment like Amazon or iTunes

-- Hi-resolution cameras

-- Worked with a Kinect-like device for sensing/evaluation of body movement, like a golf swing

-- AirPlay-like capability to stream video/content to a large TV Display

-- NFC Bump Payment for purchases, boarding passes, etc.

-- iCloud-like concept of your content is anywhere, everywhere you are

-- Home camera monitoring

-- Remote control of home lighting, HVAC, etc.

Anyway, what seemed amazing, 5-6 years ago, is largely being delivered in today's mobile devices.

That concept iPhone 5 certainly looks good to me!
  • Reply 154 of 219
    Quote:

It is selling like hotcakes. It has a small screen.

Nobody knows what affect the small screen is having on sales.

Is it selling like hotcakes or is it selling like hot cakes?!
  • Reply 155 of 219
    Quote:

If it were just a little bit wider and maybe a tiny bit thinner, you'd buy it.

YES - i would not mind a small increase in width, 3-4mm, if we could take 30% of thickness. The girth would be similar or smaller.

i don't use a case, even on my iPad2, because the thinness is very appealing. I was one of the few that liked the mtorola Q. Wasn't that bad in its day, and one of my kids still uses it. Before that I had the Treos - OMG I have one in my desk draw, its truly a brick - more useful as a personal defense weapon than my 4S
  • Reply 156 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jacksons View Post

Wait until Wednesday comes... and Siri tells you to take out the trash... and you realize that you are now in your car 3 blocks from your home when it does in fact correctly remind you. Or worse, in the bus with no way to get back.

If I really did forget to take out the trash... I will be grateful that she reminds me.... even if I am 3 blocks away! (just turn around and get it done!).

Nothing worse than having to deal with a full trash can for another week....
  • Reply 157 of 219
    My main annoyance with Siri is not the artificial limitation Apple has imposed on the hardware...that is just business. The problem I have is Siri cannot accept simple commands like "Open Music", "Open Calendar", "Open ??? App". Siri states she cannot do this. Windows Phone 7 Mango can do this with no problem. I can also hold entire text conversations on Mango where the phone reads the text and lets me speak my new text. Now, Siri is MUCH better at voice recognition, I am just confused why it cannot do simple commands such as Open Apps, Close Apps, Shutdown Phone, etc etc. Maybe Apple will add these features in later...
  • Reply 158 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dangcookie View Post

My god, man, you are a whiner.

He has a valid point. If you offer a service, you should be able to support the service. How would you like to buy a car with a new nav system only to find the highly touted voice-activated nav system didn't work half the time?

Apple (or any other company) needs to understand this.
  • Reply 159 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by friedmud View Post

If I really did forget to take out the trash... I will be grateful that she reminds me.... even if I am 3 blocks away! (just turn around and get it done!).

Nothing worse than having to deal with a full trash can for another week....

This, fellow readers, is an example of "justifying with logic".
  • Reply 160 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

He has a valid point. If you offer a service, you should be able to support the service. How would you like to buy a car with a new nav system only to find the highly touted voice-activated nav system didn't work half the time?

Apple (or any other company) needs to understand this.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

My main annoyance with Siri is not the artificial limitation Apple has imposed on the hardware...that is just business. The problem I have is Siri cannot accept simple commands like "Open Music", "Open Calendar", "Open ??? App". Siri states she cannot do this. Windows Phone 7 Mango can do this with no problem. I can also hold entire text conversations on Mango where the phone reads the text and lets me speak my new text. Now, Siri is MUCH better at voice recognition, I am just confused why it cannot do simple commands such as Open Apps, Close Apps, Shutdown Phone, etc etc. Maybe Apple will add these features in later...

A couple of things:

1. Siri is a beta -- that means that Apple needs to measure how well it recognizes and handles:

1.1 speech to text translation

1.2 AI - conversational, contextual text analysis

1.3 How well Apple's servers and backbone can handle the expected load

A simple text to speech translation of simple predefined commands to specific predefined apps in not what Siri does. Though, Siri could certainly degrade to the existing voice command system (as on the iP4) if the network is unavailable.

What Siri does is more general speech to text translation -- more recognizable words, commands, questions, statements... etc. The files are rather large to cache on the phone -- even if the translation could take place there. But, Apple would have no way to measure the effectiveness, or learn what the user was trying to get Siri to do -- without sending the files to its servers.

The same goes for the AI - conversational, contextual text analysis -- a larger vocabulary means an incrementally larger database of words to analyze -- as well as saving the context of the conversation.

Again, the beta is a learning opportunity for Apple on how to improve the process -- it is very valuable to capture this information -- where it can be analyzed in depth, over time -- to compare requests from multiple users/origins.

Siri needs to analyze what it is doing (well and poorly) so it can become more capable.

By calling Siri a beta Apple is telling customers that this is an unproven service that Apple wants to offer... you should expect problems with a beta.

By limiting Siri to the new, limited availability iPhone 4S, Apple, essentially, limited the scope of the initial beta -- and even then there were: problems, analysis, fixes... repeat -- that's what a beta is.

Just imagine if Apple had opened Siri to any A4 or later, iPhone, Touch or iPad -- instead of 4 million [sometimes] frustrated 4S user, you would have over 100 million continually frustrated iDevice users -- not a good way to run a beta.