Samsung Galaxy S II ad mocks iPhone line-waiters

18910111214»

Comments

• Reply 261 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

I think it's just that he is a unique kind of guy.

I have? fairly radical views about the future of technology.

But, hey, so did Steve Jobs.

*GASP* "HE'S COMPARING HIMSELF TO STEVE JOBS! HE THINKS HE'S STEVE REINCARNATE! *mock oohooohoohooo-ing* ALL BOW BEFORE THE MIGHTY STEVE! HIS WORD IS LAW! HE MUST BE RIGHT!"

No. \ Not my point. Entirely wrong. I'm not comparing myself to Steve. I'm a worthless wretch who can't seem to do anything right in any aspect of life. I've no business sense. I couldn't run a company, nor would I want to. I'm just some stupid guy.

I did design GarageBand for the iPad* two months before even the first iPad was announced, however. I did it as part of a writing assignment for a gen-ed writing class. I was as shocked as anyone else when I saw what I had done come to life on stage, presented by Steve Jobs himself, much less something I had done for a WRITING assignment.

I'm occasionally in line with Apple's vision, is all.

None of this has anything to do with why I feel Windows Phone 7 has no heart to it, I suppose. Just more clarification of my self-image.

*Not anything that Apple actually used. I did this wholly independently, but darn if I wasn't spot on with it. No one's gonna believe me, even though I have timestamped files to prove it. Timestamps can be faked; I understand that. If you really wanted proof, you'd have to talk the professor of the class, whom I've not seen since I turned in that assignment, the final, several years ago. She'd still have the files I gave her back then. Not important, though. Doesn't matter.
  • Reply 262 of 273
    This commercial came on tonight after Thanksgiving dinner, and my dingus brother-in-law laughed out loud when he saw it. He loves this stupid commercial.
  • Reply 263 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I have? fairly radical views about the future of technology.

But, hey, so did Steve Jobs.

*GASP* "HE'S COMPARING HIMSELF TO STEVE JOBS! HE THINKS HE'S STEVE REINCARNATE! *mock oohooohoohooo-ing* ALL BOW BEFORE THE MIGHTY STEVE! HIS WORD IS LAW! HE MUST BE RIGHT!"

No. \ Not my point. Entirely wrong. I'm not comparing myself to Steve. I'm a worthless wretch who can't seem to do anything right in any aspect of life. I've no business sense. I couldn't run a company, nor would I want to. I'm just some stupid guy.

I did design GarageBand for the iPad* two months before even the first iPad was announced, however. I did it as part of a writing assignment for a gen-ed writing class. I was as shocked as anyone else when I saw what I had done come to life on stage, presented by Steve Jobs himself, much less something I had done for a WRITING assignment.

I'm occasionally in line with Apple's vision, is all.

None of this has anything to do with why I feel Windows Phone 7 has no heart to it, I suppose. Just more clarification of my self-image.

*Not anything that Apple actually used. I did this wholly independently, but darn if I wasn't spot on with it. No one's gonna believe me, even though I have timestamped files to prove it. Timestamps can be faked; I understand that. If you really wanted proof, you'd have to talk the professor of the class, whom I've not seen since I turned in that assignment, the final, several years ago. She'd still have the files I gave her back then. Not important, though. Doesn't matter.

I'd actually be interested to hear your thoughts on Windows Phone 7's soullessness.
  • Reply 264 of 273
    I wouldn't trade my 4S for ANYTHING Samsung makes. That said, those people who stand in line at the Apple Stores for every new product SHOULD be made fun of.
  • Reply 265 of 273
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    . . .
  • Reply 266 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

More so than those that go to amusement parks? They likely spend money and stand in line a lot longer and have only pictures and memories to show for it, which equate to a zero resale value.

Indeed. Though he has something of a point. Standing in line for EVERY product launch is a little extreme.

Standing in line for that absolutely awesome new product to which you're upgrading from your old model or waiting for the first in a new market of products, however? that's fine. You get the memories of standing in line and nonsensically geeking out with the people around you? PLUS the physical product to show for it.

And it's good to have you back. Don't let the haters get you down.
  • Reply 267 of 273
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    So now Apple should make a commercial with a bunch of Red Bull addled 21 year old boys standing around pretending to shoot each other with their ray gun phones and shouting "DUDE! AWESOME! THESE PHONES ARE EPIC!" when an average looking adult with an iPhone happens by. They start foaming at the mouth and snarling "FANBOY! WANKER! WHY AREN'T BLOWING DEAD STEVE JOBS!!??" and then they all snicker and giggle and high five each other and shoot the adult with their phones going "KEPOW! KEPOW!"

And the iPhone using adult just looks slightly puzzled and keeps walking.

And that's fair because that's how some Android users act so it's a reasonable stand in for all of them.
  • Reply 268 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

So now Apple should make a commercial

Nope. Apple needs to (and will) take the high road and keep pumping out those beautiful ads showing real-world use of devices and their features.

Quote:

And that's fair because that's how some Android users act so it's a reasonable stand in for all of them.

Some, yes, but not all. Perhaps your vision for a retaliatory ad will be done by a satirical website. If The Onion does commercials, it sounds like something they'd do. Or perhaps CollegeHumor (does Cracked do video? That's the right name, isn't it?).
  • Reply 269 of 273
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,347moderator
    Quote:

Here's an example to back this up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00Q9-...ilpage#t=1529s

They take offence at Apple's products getting all the attention despite Android phones being so superior in every way. They don't even seem to consider that without iOS, they wouldn't have Android as it exists nor do they think about the device as a whole. Android still renders some things in 16-bit colour:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2376196,00.asp

I saw this in a few Android devices and noticed it right away. I couldn't believe you'd make a modern device that ever renders content in 16-bit.

A platform needs good hardware, a good operating system with nice frameworks and a good developer environment as well as a software distribution platform. Apple nailed them all because they planned every one. Competing technology looks rushed and they are building on a shoddy foundation. You only have to compare the uninstall methods on each to see this. Whenever you see scrolling console text on a mobile device, you can tell straight away it's wrong.

Some Android phones are very nice and Android itself has some nice features but people need to realise and respect the heritage. Samsung is at least pointing out to everyone where they get their ideas from in their ad.
  • Reply 270 of 273
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Nope. Apple needs to (and will) take the high road and keep pumping out those beautiful ads showing real-world use of devices and their features.

I don't actually think Apple should make such an ad, just making a point.

Quote:

Some, yes, but not all. Perhaps your vision for a retaliatory ad will be done by a satirical website. If The Onion does commercials, it sounds like something they'd do. Or perhaps CollegeHumor (does Cracked do video? That's the right name, isn't it?).

Right, some not all, just as most iOS users are just run-of-the-mill folk and not clueless hipsters. Again, my point.
  • Reply 271 of 273
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Great ad.

Come buy our phone. You know, the one that no one is willing to wait in line for.
  • Reply 272 of 273
    Quote:

So now Apple should make a commercial with a bunch of Red Bull addled 21 year old boys standing around pretending to shoot each other with their ray gun phones and shouting "DUDE! AWESOME! THESE PHONES ARE EPIC!" when an average looking adult with an iPhone happens by. They start foaming at the mouth and snarling "FANBOY! WANKER! WHY AREN'T BLOWING DEAD STEVE JOBS!!??" and then they all snicker and giggle and high five each other and shoot the adult with their phones going "KEPOW! KEPOW!"

And the iPhone using adult just looks slightly puzzled and keeps walking.

I can actually find (and actually know) people who nearly fit the satirical representations of FANBOYS portrayed in this commercial.

No one in existence is as you described.
  • Reply 273 of 273
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

I can actually find (and actually know) people who nearly fit the satirical representations of FANBOYS portrayed in this commercial.

No one in existence is as you described.

So you've never read Addabox's general statements, say, on this forum disparaging Apple, Steve Jobs or anyone who buy's iToys? I certainly have many, many times over the years.

And you actually know people that have said they buy the iPhone because they are creative or wouldn't buy the new iPhone because people wouldn't know they upgraded? Sure you do!