Google's Schmidt predicts developers will prioritize Android over iOS in 6 months

Comments

• Reply 121 of 170
    radjinradjin Posts: 165member
    I keep seeing these huge claims for activations but not that many Android smart phones. How many Android activations are simple basic phones?
  • Reply 122 of 170
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    "Google's Schmidt predicts developers will prioritize Android over iOS in 6 months"

Ha ha ha ha ha !
  • Reply 123 of 170
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

"Google's Schmidt predicts developers will prioritize Android over iOS in 6 months"

Ha ha ha ha ha !

I know right? I knew he was a thief and a liar, but I didn't know he was deluded on top of it. I thought he was cunning. Guess it got to his head.

I see irrelevance in Androids future.

1st step copy Apple. 2nd, ignore what makes Apple great and go for volume, 3rd give up massive chunk of market share because of being stupid and arrogant.

Where have we seen that before?
  • Reply 124 of 170
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    And they claim that SJ operated within his own RDF.
  • Reply 125 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

What a joke - there are so many inaccuracies in this article that it is laughable. And where is that "volume" selling dell tablet now? Oh yeah, Dell just abandoned it because it was selling so well.

Don't forget the part where he is comparing specs with the Xoom tablet and mentions the stereo speakers.
  • Reply 126 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by realitycheck69 View Post

These forums are hilarious. This is apple vs microsoft 2.0, been saying it for awhile now. Apple is great at starting new niches, but cannot win in the long run--either too proud (locking everything down), or too stupid.

What exactly does it mean to "win" anyway?

Is there some contest where the company who has the most market share by a certain date wins a prize?

I know the best way to "lose" is by going out of business. LG and Motorola haven't had a profitable quarter in a while... and HTC has recently slashed their Q4 earnings outlook.

But hey... their phones have a lot of market share... which you think is the most important thing...

It's not.
  • Reply 127 of 170
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,824member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbruni View Post

Isn't it nice to be in a position where even being dead-wrong has no consequences?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 80025 View Post

Eric predicts, huh? Quick, someone alert the 1991 infomertial Psychic Friends Network.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

You wont EVER catch me programming for Android!

I would rather gouge my eyes out with a skewer.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

If I squint my eyes just right, Mr. Schmidt starts to look like Mr. Ballmer.

The nice thing about these headlines is the responses they evoke.

Thanks for the entertainment!
  • Reply 128 of 170
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thesmoth View Post

The reality is actually opposite to what you say in this post. For iOS, it's VERY easy to pirate apps. All you have to do is jailbreak and get installous and you're laughing. You can get any app, no problem, and work almost always.

With android, you have to try and hunt down apps on torrent websites, with most of them not being available, and when they are, most of the time they don't work (formatted for a different CPU/GPU, different resolution, etc.).

So with android, I actually buy a lot of apps because I have no choice, but with iOS the story is different.

What are you smoking? "you have to try and hunt down apps"? LOL. Just Google Android and Torrent and you get 300 sites. Then it takes 10 seconds to find every available android app on any of fifty torrent sites, and then 30 more to down load them. Not that I own any Android devices (please), but the fact is that jailbreaking is a faaaaaaaaar smaller percentage of IOS hardware than pirate apps are of Android. Jailbreaking is an infinitely bigger a deal than torrenting to 95% of Apple users as to render it a non issue. No comparison.

Here, no hunting required : ) Google of Android + Torrent
  • Reply 129 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

You wont EVER catch me programming for Android!

I would rather gouge my eyes out with a skewer.

are you the guy from the movie "wrong turn 4"?
  • Reply 130 of 170
    "With the ICS release, or core objective as a company is to get all of the hardware vendors onto that platform. .. Six months from now ... applications vendors ... will want to developer for that platform (Android), perhaps even first."

Sounds like a may not like a will.

But spin will be spin.
  • Reply 131 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

"With the ICS release, or core objective as a company is to get all of the hardware vendors onto that platform. .. Six months from now ... applications vendors ... will want to developer for that platform (Android), perhaps even first."

Sounds like a may not like a will.

But spin will be spin.

True, he said, "..whether you like Ice Cream Sandwich or not, you will want to develop for it."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...n5Ypio#t=2595s
  • Reply 132 of 170
    Ah, yes, Eric Schmidt.

Isn't he the one Larry Page needs to get rid off?
  • Reply 133 of 170
    Does not seem to really master RDF technique, uh ?
  • Reply 134 of 170
    According to Steve, the ones who insist on being always named with their "Dr" degree are " " (you fill in the blanks)
  • Reply 135 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

What a joke - there are so many inaccuracies in this article that it is laughable.

What are they then? Should be easy if there's so many of them (and why you didn't list them before is beyond me).
  • Reply 136 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

There'll be lots of comments about how Android is unprofitable for developers and such. Whatever. All this talk is reminiscent of all the threads that said Android would never ever outsell the iPhone (and later when the goalpost moved iOS). Even the supporting arguments have changed. It used to be that nobody would ever want or buy an Android device. Now the argument is that those who buy thme are cheapskates. I'm probably missing a few more stereotypes in here. Others will add them I'm sure.

I dunno if Schmidt is right, but I would certainly like to see some balance. More devleopers being platform agnostic would be nice. As a consumer, I don't really like having to buy certain hardware just to run certain software. I'd hope that some day they go one step further and allow somebody who bought an app on iOS to get the same app free on Android or vice versa (iTunes Match for apps?).

Uhm... and Android still doesn't "OUTSELL" iOS. So what's your point?
  • Reply 137 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xtrmtrk View Post

I'm one of the biggest Apple fans in the world, I've been buying every generation of their products since 1980. And this all seems like "deja vu all over again." Every time Apple creates a great product, with plenty of awesome development tools (I've worked with many of them), and even programs to curate the user experience. But in the long run, they always come in a distant second place. Alone, they simply can't compete with an entire industry.

I don't believe Schmidt's time frame is right, but I really don't see why this ride around the carousel is going to be different from the last. iOS will live and thrive like the Mac, but in 1, 3, or 5 years I suspect a single company can't compete against the entire Android hardware development mob. iOs will become the 10% world-wide market share in hardware and applications will be forced to follow.

Downer I know, but history does tend to repeat itself.

You very well could be right. But who cares? Apple will continue to have well north of 50% of all of the profits in the industry where they compete. Apple is a business in the true sense of the word, in that they really do take care of their business and their shareholders. And considering that they are ranked #1 in every single one of those categories by their customers... well...

...tell me again why being #2, 3, 4 or 5 is losing? I'm not, as a shareholder and user.
  • Reply 138 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sciwiz View Post

True, he said, "..whether you like Ice Cream Sandwich or not, you will want to develop for it."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...n5Ypio#t=2595s

That's a subtopic. Saying that as a "will" doesn't negate any "may".
  • Reply 139 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LogicNReason View Post

*sigh*

This article is link bait so people can fly in here and shout "You're dumb!" or "It's going to happen!"

And to the people exclaiming Windows Mobile will somehow take the market in an attempt to deal with the fact that Android is dominating (depending on your view point) : get over yourself. Microsoft came into this battle WAY too late to matter. Verizon is all over Android like a new high school crush. Their marketing stake in Android put it on the map, and unless something drastically changes, will keep it there. No one has shown ANY proof that Windows will somehow take over the market, but anti-Android pundits (not necessarily iOS fans) like shouting from rooftops that it will be the long term successor. PLEASE, SHOW ME WHY. Honestly, I think it'll even off like it is. Android will swallow up a little bit more of the market, iOS will continue its iron grasp on second place and the "upper tier," and Microsoft will continue to poor money it makes off of Android into Windows mobile.

Also, I disagree that Android will be the dominate platform in 6 months. However, I do think it will eventually. And before you start the "there's no money to be made of Android fragmentation and cheapness!" here's what I've observed: a few months ago the chances of you finding a new app or a company app on both Android and iOS was slim to none. It was usually all iOS. Notice how many companies have an app for Android AND iOS. Notice how a few companies (VAST minority) are even premiering apps on Android before iOS. Whether you agree with it or not, the trend has already started. The ball is already rolling my friends.

Your rant doesn't jive with your screen-name... I don't need to SHOW YOU WHY... it's all to obvious
  • Reply 140 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

<snip>

Wouldn't that just be the most hilarious thing? Google getting sued for stealing Microsoft's GUI?

Sued?! Why? But it's "open source"!!! What part of "open" do you not understand? You design it, we "open" it, and don't charge for it... so uhm <cough...hack...phlegm> we're not making any money from it. So how could that be called "stealing".