Apple rolls out Mac OS X Lion, Snow Leopard updates

Comments

• Reply 21 of 104
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ikjeft1b View Post

A couple of possibilities:

(1) restart your computer into recovery mode (hold down COMMAND and R keys through the restart, letting go once the Apple logo / spinning gear shows on the screen) and then use Disk Utility to repair the "Macintosh HD" volume.

if you can then install the update after this, we're done. if repairs fail, go to the Genius Bar for help. if repair is successful but the problem remains, the likely possibility is some kind of partition error on the startup drive, possibly due to either current or previous use of Boot Camp, or possibly because you're using PGP disk encryption on the boot volume. if it's a partitioning problem, you can remove the Boot Camp/Windows partition and then rebuild it after updating the OS (if you have Boot Camp) or restart into recovery mode again and try resizing the "Macintosh HD" volume using Disk Utility (make it at least 1GB larger than it currently is). if it's a PGP issue, turn off disk encryption.

or, just book a Genius Bar appointment for help.

My combo download is still going to take another hour to finish. If that doesn't work, I'll try the recovery suggestion.

But I will add, I don't use Boot Camp and don't have anything partitioned. I also don't use any encryption.

The funny thing is, I just downloaded the latest Airport Utility through Software Update a few days ago and had no problems installing that.
  • Reply 22 of 104
    The support page for the Snow Leopard update (http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1489) links to http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222 for more information, but that page hasn't been updated in months. This has happened for all updates in recent memory.

I guess it shouldn't make any difference; regardless of what Apple tells us an update does, whether it addresses an issue we're having or not, they insist there are all kinds of unlisted changes and we would be stupid not to trust them, even if we've been burned by updates in the past. All it does is make me more mistrustful. They need to stop treating customers as afterthoughts.
  • Reply 23 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gkroeger View Post

Yes, it's 11D50

That was your second post ever in almost two years? I laugh. I don't know why, I just find it funny.
  • Reply 24 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I swear Safari is snappier!

I wish this would die
  • Reply 25 of 104
    azjayazjay Posts: 40member
    Those links worked for me. They show Updated today. If I scroll down it has a link to what was fixed security wise.

EDIT: here is the direct link to the description of the security updates. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5130

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thecynicwithin View Post

The support page for the Snow Leopard update (http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1489) links to http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222 for more information, but that page hasn't been updated in months. This has happened for all updates in recent memory.

I guess it shouldn't make any difference; regardless of what Apple tells us an update does, whether it addresses an issue we're having or not, they insist there are all kinds of unlisted changes and we would be stupid not to trust them, even if we've been burned by updates in the past. All it does is make me more mistrustful. They need to stop treating customers as afterthoughts.

• Reply 26 of 104
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    So the first two systems I tried it on - a Mac Mini (client) and a Mac Mini (Server) both got to installing and then stopped with an error message about package could not be expanded so install can be tried again next time software update is run.
  • Reply 27 of 104
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I wish this would die

Other things I noticed.
    1. This may have resolved a networking issue I had. At least in the sense of trying to connect via Wifi at one location I frequent.

2. Maybe it is me but I think teminal now has new themes or window appearances to choose from.

3. On my early 2008 MBP it seems to have resolved a responsiveness problem with user interface menu items. Need a longer run to verify this, but that lag was terrible at times.

It has only been a few minutes though, need more time to digest what is going on here but it does feel a bit better on my old hardware. Really though don't knock updates, they always seem to fix a few things that aren't even noted in the release notes.
  • Reply 28 of 104
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The new cursor-pointer (hand) in 10.7.3 makes me uncomfortable.
  • Reply 29 of 104
    Quote:

That was your second post ever in almost two years? I laugh. I don't know why, I just find it funny.

I read threads here, and post on several developer lists... but mostly I have real work to do.
  • Reply 30 of 104
    Quote:

I wish this would die

I'm fine with it sticking around as long as it's not the joking go-to response for every update. If you honestly feel it's snappier, go ahead and post it.
  • Reply 31 of 104
    That's Lion, not Snow Leopard. I don't have Lion.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by azjay View Post

Those links worked for me. They show Updated today. If I scroll down it has a link to what was fixed security wise.

EDIT: here is the direct link to the description of the security updates. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5130

• Reply 32 of 104
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by balldome View Post

Should I install the airport update first?

You can still download the old one and use it along side. I'm not a fan of the new one as it has limited some of the advanced config options and information about wireless clients.
  • Reply 33 of 104
    Hey, apparently the cursor and pointer finger have had their icons changed. Anyone notice that?
  • Reply 34 of 104
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GuyR View Post

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5048

That link is dead already. Hopefully it will return soon. And back again..... must be a network glitch.

Quote:

It appears a lot of Networking tweaks, more than just language updates at any rate.

I've already seen an issue corrected with at least one attempt to connect to one funky Wifi location. This failure to connect was a bit random, so time will tell.

Quote:

And for those that don't like links...

What's included?

The OS X Lion v10.7.3 Update includes Safari 5.1.3 and fixes that:

■Add Catalan, Croatian, Greek, Hebrew, Romanian, Slovak, Thai, and Ukrainian language support

■Address issues when using smart cards to log into OS X

■Address compatibility issues with Microsoft Windows file sharing

■Address an issue printing Microsoft Word documents that use markup

■Address a graphics performance issue after sleep on some earlier iMacs that use ATI graphics

■Resolve a Wi-Fi connection issue when waking from sleep

■Address an issue that may prevent Safari from opening before joining a wireless network

■Fix a potential issue authenticating to an SMB DFS share

■Include RAW image compatibility for additional digital cameras

Directory Services

■Improve binding to read-only Active Directory Domain Controllers

■Improve binding and login speed for Active Directory users in a domain whose name ends in ".local"

■Improve reliability of Dynamic DNS (DDNS) updates by Active Directory clients

■Allow login with an Active Directory username that contains a space

■Improve compatibility with Active Directory schemas that have been extended with the "apple-user-homeDirectory" and "apple-user-homeurl" attributes

■Fix home directory Dock item for Active Directory users with mobile accounts

■Allow NIS users with MD5-hashed passwords to log in

For information about the security content of this update, please visit: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222.

Edit - I see AI has now posted this info...

Looks like there are many fixes beyond those listed.
  • Reply 35 of 104
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Both my MBPs, an i7 an i5 updated Lion flawlessly via software update. I am on FiOS 25/25 in SW Florida.

I swear Safari is snappier!

I downloaded the +700MB update in less than 2 minutes

Update went without issues.
  • Reply 36 of 104
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The new cursor-pointer (hand) in 10.7.3 makes me uncomfortable.

Mickey Mouse hand!
  • Reply 37 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TalkingNewMedia View Post

I usually update my OS immediately, but no reason to rush into this one... unless you are Ukrainian, I suppose.

Does anyone know if there is a way we don't have to add all the foreign language options. I'll never be using them. I only speak and read English.
  • Reply 38 of 104
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:

I wish this would die

Except I was serious. Hence I was laughing. It's been taking 90 seconds to load for me till this update.
  • Reply 39 of 104
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    The only issue I have with Lion is Safari crashing and taking down the whole system with it. I downloaded and installed, now to find out if Safari was fixed or not?
  • Reply 40 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by madhatter61 View Post

Does anyone know if there is a way we don't have to add all the foreign language options. I'll never be using them. I only speak and read English.

Just use Monolingual after installing.