HP exec: 'Apple may like to think they own silver, but they don't'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 166
    yensid98 wrote: »
    He talks as if form factors are entities unto themselves.  What fantasy world does he live in?

Maybe the ultrabook design is a Platonic form?
  • Reply 22 of 166
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyPaul View Post

"Apple may like to think they own XXX, but they don't,"

Better hang on to that phrase, Mr. VP of Industrial "Design". When you copy Apple's next new look, you will need to repeat it.

1310488108597575.jpg

• Reply 23 of 166
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

It might not be a direct copy, but what exactly does it bring to the table?

Nothing. 

"If you want to look at a macro level, there are a lot of similarities to everything in the market that's an Ultrabook today," he said. "It is not because those guys (Apple) did it first. It's just that's where the form factor is leading it." 

Here's your "macro level", Poindexter:  It's where APPLE is leading the market. 

Macbook Air

iPhone

iPad

ALL of these things have an Apple logo, not an HP logo. 

• Reply 24 of 166
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Blah, blah, blah.

Explain this, CEO-man.

That's actually not a great example to prove your point. While the location of the trackpad and the keyboard appearance are similar, there's no way someone would confuse that HP with a MBP.

Some of the Ultrabooks are near exact copies of the MBA - and that would be a better example of how the industry is copying Apple (but I realize that this article is about HP so the other examples might not fit as well).
  • Reply 25 of 166
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member

HP thinks its 'Silver' will bring them 'Gold" but it's still a PC, which is synonymous with the 'Bronze' age!

/

/

/

• Reply 26 of 166
    Yes, but those smilarities along with the brushed-metal look are hardly 'natural progressions'. It's an apeing of Apple and nothing more. ThIs idiot should just man up and admit they copied things.
  • Reply 27 of 166
    jayparryjayparry Posts: 22member

Its not just the SILVER Mr. Fancy- the black screen bezel, the indented keyboard is exactly the same, the black keys, the trackpad with rounded corners...

• Reply 28 of 166
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    snova wrote: »
    great post!  I was sitting on a plane next to a guy responsible for promoting the Ultrabooks design.  I asked him, why are you trying so hard to promote Windows ultra books instead of MacBooks Airs?  Why must Macbook Air fail for Ultrabooks to succeed? Doesnt the Macbook Air have Intel chips in it anyways? Why are you guys doing this? He keep trying to avoid answering this question. Finally it he admitted to me, "we think Apple will move to ARM Macbook Airs'.

Even assuming this story is true, Apple is not likely to switch the MBA to ARM unless Intel forces them to. Apple was perfectly happy with the MBA and had a huge share. There's no reason they would have changed CPUs as long as the status quo was maintained. By increasing the competition in the MBA space, Intel is putting pressure on Apple to change. Someone in their strategy department needs to be fired.

Aside from that, I can't see it. Swich to AMD? Maybe. But ARM is still far behind the performance of the Core series chips and Apple isn't likely to sacrifice THAT much performance. By the time ARM could provide that much power, the Atom will have caught up - and would be an easier transition since iOS developers wouldn't need to completely rewrite their apps.

That said, I could see a MacBook Micro (essentially an iPad with fold-out keyboard. This would be a true netbook replacement and would offer all the iOS apps with a trackpad and keyboard, as well. It might be great for people who largely use their iPads for email or web browsing or Pages or Reports.

gprovida wrote: »
    When you don't or can't innovate, then copy, is works for SAMSUNG.  However, as usual, companies try to copy the facade not the deeper content that Apple addresses.  They may fool some customers, but in the end this doesn't succeed.  It either fails by "skating to where the puck is vs where it will be" and so huge effort is invested in trying to guess Apple's next move [ergo Apple's secrecy] or fails to deliver the full "job to be done" that Apple provides in its eco system.  Recall companies have been trying to copy Apple's MacBook Airs since they first came out and failed and/or overpriced.   

My bet like phones, tablets, and other Macs they will be indistinguishable and compete on price to race to the bottom with little to no margins and corner cutting to save money.  A real to strategy for success.  

Ironically, INTEL's concerns are not Ultras but trying the delay the Post-PC world until their processes can really compete in mobile space.  Again not a formula or a long term strategic and competitive advantage for PC makers.

I wonder how long before Horace Diedu starts showing the decline and disappearance of PC makers as he has so dramatically illustrated on cell phones for essentially the same reasons?

The bolded makes more sense than the explanation offered by snova.
  • Reply 29 of 166

Every time i see the Dell commercial and the tagline "Inspired by Intel" I actually laugh.  HP is bad but Dell has almost an identical ripoff of the Air.

• Reply 30 of 166
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    [...] "It is not because those guys (Apple) did it first. It's just that's where the form factor is leading it." [...]

Well at least he admits that Apple did it first. Give him a cookie.
  • Reply 31 of 166

Quote:

Originally Posted by Applelunatic View Post

So is Beats Audio the new Bose? Can anyone actually hear a difference in ABX tests?

I've never heard a DSP that actually makes the sound better.  To my ears, they all just add distortion.

• Reply 32 of 166

Yeah, Beats Audio sounds awful. Really awful.

I'm not saying that Apple speakers are any better, but the Beats Audio crap sounds like slightly louder laptop speakers.

• Reply 33 of 166
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Blah, blah, blah.

Explain this, CEO-man.

Apple DOES drive design in the tech industry! Deal with it or copy it but don't try to deny it, HP CEO.
  • Reply 34 of 166
    jdsonicejdsonice Posts: 156member

How true. Apple certain does not claim to own Silver. 

But it took all the genius of HP to make silver fugly. (I will the reader figure that one out).

HP used to be a great company but of late, well the less said about them the better. 

They have no game. 

• Reply 35 of 166
    joogabahjoogabah Posts: 139member

MacBook Airs are "instant on"?  That's news to me.  It's a regular ordeal getting mine to wake up from sleep.  There are several seconds of lag time before the machine shows any response at all.  It's far from "instantly" clear whether or not there is any battery power available.  I never experience anything like this with my iPad and iPhone.

• Reply 36 of 166

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeaTime Jenson View Post

Every time i see the Dell commercial and the tagline "Inspired by Intel" I actually laugh.  HP is bad but Dell has almost an identical ripoff of the Air.

Aluminum doesn't have to be silver. Nor does a silver laptop need to necessarily look like an Apple. My thirteen year old can come up with an aluminum laptop design that looks nothing like the Apple, proclaims its own sense of style and distinguishes it from everything else without looking like anything else (or being ugly).

I think HP and Samsung have the ability to make truly unique and beautiful devices, but they are afraid to do anything unique, though I don't know why.

Anyway, that's my take on it. I could be completely wrong. I would like to see some more innovation in design and for everybody to stop copying everybody else.

• Reply 37 of 166
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member

Haha, is that why they ripping off Macbook's design?

• Reply 37 of 166
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member

Here is a direct copy of the MacBook Air.  Acer Aspire S3-951-6646 13.3-Inch Ultrabook.  If this had an Apple shaped icon most people really wouldn't know the difference.  I wonder if anyone were to perform a public survey with this computer with Mac OS X 10.7 Lion installed, telling them that Mac OS X 10.7 Lion is the next version of Microsoft Windows, what would the results be?  How many people would prefer Mac OS X 10.7 Lion over Microsoft Windows 8?

acer_aspire_3951-acer_3951-4.jpg

• Reply 39 of 166
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member

Instant on*

*When you have SSD

• Reply 40 of 166
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,746member

This quote is the essence of what frustrates me about pure left brain thinkers (who make up the vast majority of people in executive positions these days): because they don't comprehend the creative process, and don't pay attention to details, they assign no value to it.

I guess maintaining this position is self serving because it allows you to pull a ridiculous salary/benefits off the backs of the people who are truly innovating and creating value.  Unfortunately, as a long term corporate modus operandi, it usually leads to the downfall of a company.