Next-gen iPhone design in limbo, October launch date remains likely

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
According to a new report, Apple engineers have yet to finalize the design of the next-generation iPhone which could account for the disparity of rumors currently circulating about larger screen sizes and a Liquidmetal caseback.

Sources say that the cupertino, Calif., company has not decided on whether it will change the size or aspect ratio of the upcoming handset's screen, though a new smaller dock connector will reportedly be implemented, according to iMore.

The source goes on to say that the device will indeed sport a home button, which limits screen size to a certain degree. As it stands, it looks unlikely that the handset will have a display larger than 4 inches, if any change is made at all.

The implementation of Liquidmetal as a main structural feature is also up in the air, and the alloy's inventor has gone on record as saying Apple is years away from using the technology.

October is still seen as the probable launch window for the new iPhone which happens to be the same period that a rumored 7-inch iPad may be unveiled.

In an April note to investors, Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster noted that supply issues surrounding Qualcomm LTE chips would push back a next-gen iPhone release to at least October. The current iPhone 4S remains incompatible with 4G LTE networks, though it is expected that its successor will have such capabilities.

A separate report from February also pegged the September to October timeframe as being a prime period for a new iPhone debut.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member

A rumor of a September release, now rumored to October.  Only a month?  People can run with that! 

/

/

/

• Reply 2 of 47
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Oy, the fabrications on this site. Anything for a click, eh?

• Reply 3 of 47
    xavier83xavier83 Posts: 63member

Whatever happened to the rumors about Steve Jobs being involved with the Iphone 5 before he died as being the last project he was around to decide for ?  
  • Reply 4 of 47
    kimk69kimk69 Posts: 77member
    Oh my god. So basically there's no info. I thought the phone was supposed to be Steve Jobs last design. This seems like crap. The way it sound, like apple's running around
    Like a chicken with its he'd cut off. Not!!!
    September now October maybe.
    Here comes the roomers. I don't know why but I do like to read some of the roomers.
  • Reply 5 of 47
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by xavier83 View Post

Whatever happened to the rumors about Steve Jobs being involved with the Iphone 5 before he died as being the last project he was around to decide for ?  

This story is essentially an acknowledgement that there is very, very little information available so the trolls all come out and tell each other tales to pass the time.

• Reply 6 of 47
    kimk69kimk69 Posts: 77member
    Ah sh*t, I spelled rumors wrong. Duh, my bad.
  • Reply 7 of 47
    alienzedalienzed Posts: 393member

It's the Apple TV remote, not a 7 inch iPad, jeez

• Reply 8 of 47
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

I'd say the fact that we've heard next to nothing about iOS 6 yet is more solid proof that we won't be seeing the iPhone 5 until October than anything mentioned in this article.

• Reply 9 of 47
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member

Seems rather late to be still deciding such a fundamental issue. Maybe they're wrestling over whether to offer one screen size they hope will please everyone or to finally break down and offer a second, larger iPhone in addition to the incredibly popular 3.5" one.

Currently Apple asks potential buyers this:

Can you afford the latest and greatest?

- if YES : how much storage do you want? What colour would you like?

- if NO : can you afford last year's greatest?

- if YES: What colour would you like?

- if NO: here is the iPhone 3GS

All other considerations are ignored, a move that I believe sends would-be Apple customers to Samsung and HTC.

I would revise the questions to include other considerations but make them binary. You either want a big screen or you don't. You either want as much storage as can practically be put in the device or you don't. 

My "wish list" lineup (not suggested naming, just a number denoting screen size):

iPhone 4.7 128GB

iPhone 4.7   32GB

iPhone 3.5 128GB

iPhone 3.5   32GB

iPhone 4S    16GB

iPhone 4         8GB

• Reply 10 of 47
    lerxtlerxt Posts: 186member
    Yeah, and my wish list is that the iPhone 6 prints money....sorry just heard a "roomer".
  • Reply 11 of 47
    one9deuceone9deuce Posts: 68member

Please Apple, for the love of all things holy....... call the 6th generation iPhone "the next iPhone" like you did with the iPad. I seriously can't take anymore people referring to the 6th generation iPhone as the "iPhone 5". For those of you still confused: The iPhone 5 came out last October 2011. It's been out for 7 months. It's called the iPhone 4S. The iPhone in my pocket came out in 2010. It's the fourth generation iPhone. It's called the iPhone 4. The second iPhone was called the iPhone 3G. 

The sixth generation iPhone with iOS6, will NOT be called the iPhone 5. 

• Reply 12 of 47
    jollypauljollypaul Posts: 328member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lerxt View Post

...sorry just heard a "roomer".

La rumeur ces propageait.

• Reply 13 of 47
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member

Quote:

Originally Posted by one9deuce View Post

Please Apple, for the love of all things holy....... call the 6th generation iPhone "the next iPhone" like you did with the iPad. I seriously can't take anymore people referring to the 6th generation iPhone as the "iPhone 5". For those of you still confused: The iPhone 5 came out last October 2011. It's been out for 7 months. It's called the iPhone 4S. The iPhone in my pocket came out in 2010. It's the fourth generation iPhone. It's called the iPhone 4. The second iPhone was called the iPhone 3G. 

The sixth generation iPhone with iOS6, will NOT be called the iPhone 5. 

This. 1,000,000x this.

• Reply 14 of 47
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member

The engineers at Apple have already approved the design, they know how big it is, they know what materials will be used AND it will include the Qualcomm LTE chipset. The new iPhone will start being built in July and will ramp up quickly in order to have enough on hand across the world when they release in the beginning of October......JUST LIKE LAST YEAR.

There, I said it. Carry on...

• Reply 15 of 47
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

...and the phone may already be in the hands of Verizon and ATT for compatibility testing.  It likely takes at least a couple of months leadtime for the telecoms to confirm that everything works as it should doesn't it?

• Reply 16 of 47
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

...and the phone may already be in the hands of Verizon and ATT for compatibility testing.  It likely takes at least a couple of months leadtime for the telecoms to confirm that everything works as it should doesn't it?

That a really good point...they might have multiple versions if the reports of different screen sizes are to be believed

• Reply 17 of 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsmythe00 View Post

Come on now. Do you really think apple doesn't have a design already mapped out? The iPhone is there bread and butter. They probably have the next 4 versions already designed and ready to go.

Naw.  Those designs are in various states of completion.  They know broad outlines for the ones further out, but none of the detail work is done yet.

• Reply 18 of 47
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

The engineers at Apple have already approved the design, they know how big it is, they know what materials will be used AND it will include the Qualcomm LTE chipset. The new iPhone will start being built in July and will ramp up quickly in order to have enough on hand across the world when they release in the beginning of October......JUST LIKE LAST YEAR.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

And a little bird told me it will have a new noise cancellation chip in it as well.

• Reply 19 of 47
    fairthropefairthrope Posts: 249member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

This story is essentially an acknowledgement that there is very, very little information available so the trolls all come out and tell each other tales to pass the time.

OR, it could also hints that Apple without Steve is like Beatles without John...

You sure that Cook and Co. can keep the team together and their egos in check without Steve put his foot down?

He maybe a CEO, but employee is EMPLOYEE. He is not the FOUNDER. 

• Reply 20 of 47
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairthrope View Post

OR, it could also hints that Apple without Steve is like Beatles without John...

You sure that Cook and Co. can keep the team together and their egos in check without Steve put his foot down?

He maybe a CEO, but employee is EMPLOYEE. He is not the FOUNDER. 

The point of your post? Obviously noone is sure of anything, just like everything else in life, and noone can predict the future, or Apple's future. But so far, Cook has shown promise, and has performed extremely well. Obviously he's no Steve Jobs, but he never claimed he was, and will have to make due with his own qualities.