Samsung Galaxy S III launches in Europe to take on Apple's iPhone 4S

Comments

• Reply 61 of 85
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    If Apple was to claim they have 20million preorders for the 6th generation iPhone you would believe it in a heartbeat. Why is it so hard to believe samsung can have a successful product or rather why is it that apple is the only company that can have a successful product. This idea that only apple can be good and all other companies that compete with them are liars con-artiest, evil and should be shut down. Apple is not the only good company and there is plenty of room for more then one successful company.

I'm actually looking forward to the Galaxy S III becoming the best-selling phone in the world.

Finally we can start calling Samsung users sheep... give them a taste of their own medicine.

:-)
  • Reply 62 of 85
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

I'm actually looking forward to the Galaxy S III becoming the best-selling phone in the world.

Finally we can start calling Samsung users sheep... give them a taste of their own medicine.

Baaaaaaaaa...

• Reply 63 of 85

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

You guys are laughable. Buried within the link within the link within your link is the following statement from Samsung: "Samsung Electronics today announced that the Samsung GALAXY S II (Model: GT-I9100) has achieved 20 million global channel sales in 10 months since its debut in April 2011."

Let's see if you can figure it out!imageimage

That's not fair. You're supposed to take stuff at face value and not go digging into the fine details.

• Reply 64 of 85
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Reportedly, there were even queues for the Galaxy S III today. 

Pathetic.

• Reply 65 of 85

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Reportedly, there were even queues for the Galaxy S III today. 

Pathetic.

Why do I get the feeling that Samsung paid most of those people to stand in line.

I'm not saying that Samsung actually did that but "I" have come to believe that it is not beneath them to do such a trick.

• Reply 66 of 85

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Why do I get the feeling that Samsung paid most of those people to stand in line.

I'm not saying that Samsung would actually do that but "I" have come to believe that it is not beneath them to do such a trick.

If you read the red letters on the big poster, you'll find out that the first 1000 subscribers are promised accessories worth $240. So yes, there is an incentive for the people who queue. Samsung's motivation is less clear.

• Reply 67 of 85
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Quote:

If you read the red letters on the big poster, you'll find out that the first 1000 subscribers are promised accessories worth $240. So yes, there is an incentive for the people who queue. Samsung's motivation is less clear.

Hmmm..... maybe they caught that queue early, but it didn't look remotely like there were 1000 people in line to me, despite the $240 inducement.

I think "pathetic" is the right sentiment.

• Reply 68 of 85

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post

It's specs look impressive but show that the iPhone 4S GPU performance is about the same, and GPU performance is what makes your device run not the number of CPU cores.

Other specs are comparable too, so this years iPhone will be a lot better even if you look at the specs

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5810/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-performance-preview

I don't believe anything Anandtech says.  They claim that the Samsung is way faster than the iPhone 4S in every respect.

But that doesn't matter so long as it runs Android, because Android is slow to use.  Most people just use it as a dumbphone anyways because they can't figure out how to work it.

So they get a Samsung so that they can be like everybody else, and they don't use it for anything because if they do the battery wears out.

• Reply 69 of 85
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyram Gestan View PostSo they get a Samsung so that they can be like everybody else, and they don't use it for anything because if they do the battery wears out.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/samsung-galaxy-s3-1078667/review?artc_pg=13

"Let's put it into some context: subjecting the Galaxy S3 to the same test we do all smartphones, it's come out as the second longest-lasting device of all we've checked out."

• Reply 70 of 85
    el bandel band Posts: 7member
    Quote:

Do you have a link for this? I am not finding anything other than a local London store offering incentives to the first 1000 pre-orders.
  • Reply 71 of 85

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Hmmm..... maybe they caught that queue early, but it didn't look remotely like there were 1000 people in line to me, despite the $240 inducement.

I think "pathetic" is the right sentiment.

Well it could easily be a national campaign, so the size of the queue at one store isn't telling.

We seem to share the sentiment that this behavior is pathetic, but we may differ in the details. While I find it pathetic that anyone would queue, you seem to be thrown off by the fact that there are too few people. Is that correct?

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Band View Post

Do you have a link for this? I am not finding anything other than a local London store offering incentives to the first 1000 pre-orders.

Yes I do, scroll up to my post #64. This wasn't in the UK by the way, it's in Singapore.

• Reply 72 of 85

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyram Gestan View Post

I don't believe anything Anandtech says.  They claim that the Samsung is way faster than the iPhone 4S in every respect.

Eh, too obvious.

• Reply 73 of 85
    el bandel band Posts: 7member
    Yeah that promotion is run by the local store, not Samsung.
  • Reply 74 of 85
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member

But that doesn't matter so long as it runs Android, because Android is slow to use.  Most people just use it as a dumbphone anyways because they can't figure out how to work it.

So they get a Samsung so that they can be like everybody else, and they don't use it for anything because if they do the battery wears out.

I do believe the benchmark results, I think it's likely the benchmarks are conducted properly, but what benchmark is relevant?
    I am saying that the benchmarks that test GPU performance are relevant and if you look at the results the iPhone is pretty close compared to the S3. They also claim that until now Apples iPhone was the fastest phone in this respect. So it isn't true that Anandtech claims that the S3 is way faster in every aspect.

J.
  • Reply 75 of 85

Quote:

I do believe the benchmark results, I think it's likely the benchmarks are conducted properly, but what benchmark is relevant?

I am saying that the benchmarks that test GPU performance are relevant and if you look at the results the iPhone is pretty close compared to the S3. They also claim that until now Apples iPhone was the fastest phone in this respect. So it isn't true that Anandtech claims that the S3 is way faster in every aspect.

J.

First off, you're arguing with a ghost -- the user you're replying to is banned.

Second, GPU is relevant for some but not all tasks -- all depends on how you use your phone.

Third, mobile phones have reached a point when additional performance doesn't always translate in obvious improvements. For example, GPUs have been sufficiently powerful in all flagship devices in the past 6-9 months. True that some phones will have a framerate of 50 in a benchmark where the 4S has 75, but our perception doesn't gain much from going above 30 anyway. So it is immaterial which one scores the best, if you're not going to see the difference.

• Reply 76 of 85

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Only my opinion, but I think the differences between the Galaxy SIII with ICS and the original Galaxy with Android 2.x are far more striking than the 3GS to 4S. 

gotta be the dumbest statement in a long time on AI....

3GS to 4 was a major aesthetic change and performance gain as usual. 4 to 4S was again a huge leap in performance. Don't be so efing obtuse.

• Reply 77 of 85
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    drdoppio wrote: »
    First off, you're arguing with a ghost -- the user you're replying to is banned.

Second, GPU is relevant for some but not all tasks -- all depends on how you use your phone.

Third, mobile phones have reached a point when additional performance doesn't always translate in obvious improvements. For example, GPUs have been sufficiently powerful in all flagship devices in the past 6-9 months. True that some phones will have a framerate of 50 in a benchmark where the 4S has 75, but our perception doesn't gain much from going above 30 anyway. So it is immaterial which one scores the best, if you're not going to see the difference.

Thanks for pointing out that the user is banned (that isn't obvious unless you view his profile), I'm not sure why he is banned though.
    Your other points are a bit obvious and I disagree that the GPUs are fast enough already.
    3D graphic scenes are incredibly GPU intensive and details like shadows, reflections and complex 3D objects need all calculation power available and can always use more (because demanding games are designed on the performance edge).

J.
  • Reply 78 of 85

Quote:

Thanks for pointing out that the user is banned (that isn't obvious unless you view his profile), I'm not sure why he is banned though.

My guess is that he was being offensive.

Your other points are a bit obvious and I disagree that the GPUs are fast enough already.

3D graphic scenes are incredibly GPU intensive and details like shadows, reflections and complex 3D objects need all calculation power available and can always use more (because demanding games are designed on the performance edge).

J.

Gaming is only one use of the phone, and not a very wise thing to do on the performance edge if you value the other uses. Besides, at one point you should also consider how much you add to the gaming experience by calculation-intensive rendering.

• Reply 79 of 85
    So, people who deny being Apple sheep think there is meaning to the number of people who line up for a phone?

I know everyone is different but I can easily type with one hand on every phone I've picked up (save the Note). So to say Apple only wants a phone people can use with one hand is meaningless. Ever try to take a screen shot?

Regarding the "form factor" of the phone: if you put your phone in a case, shut up.

On the advice of my friends who work in Cupertino I ignored the 4s. That phone is an afterthought- something to please the investors- while the 4 was being upgraded to what was hoped to be the 5. To release a product in beta (like Siri) is a sign that you know your fans will buy anything, bugs and all.

I'm looking forward to the Galaxy 3. The 2 is a fine phone and Android has many features I find very helpful. I can't wait, thought I'm not going to waste time in line to be the first on my block with a new toy. I don't have those types of issues where I need acceptance on what products I buy.
  • Reply 80 of 85
    BTW, as long as my phone works I don't give a rodent heiny how long the lines are.
    Popularity is not a sign of quality. It's often a sign of manipulation. If you don't believe that, look at your collection of Beany Babies and Thomas Kincade paintings.