Nokia unveils Lumia 920 with 4.5" display, PureView camera

Comments

• Reply 81 of 253

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuxoM3 View Post

This was a REALLY BOLD and COMPETITIVE move for Nokia a week before the announcement of the iPhone 5.

Because when people rethink their contracts, they'll have these features to mull over...

1. 8-megapixel camera that can shoot 1080p high-definition video - WITH IMAGE STABILIZATION

2. "PureView" technology allows shooting imagery without using flash.

3. "Super Sensitive Touch." - allow use of the device while wearing gloves.

4. Inductive charging

5. Mapping with Augmented reality - point the phone down a street and it SHOWS YOU the names of places, shops, bus stops, etc.

6. Even LOW-end phones get  exchangeable shells that allow users to change colors or add wireless charging, and also allows users to input microSD cards.

If iPhone didn't exist, I would most likely buy Nokia Lumia phones. That said, these new phones are pretty disappointing. And Wall Street agrees, with Nokia stock down about 15% following the announcement.

1. iPhone 4S can also shoot 1080p video, with image stabilization.

2. PureView on Lumia 920 is a regression from Lumia 808's PureView, using much more limited image sensor (down from 41-megapixels to 8-megapixels). In fact, it really isn't much different from image sensor used on iPhone 4S.

6. But Lumia 920 doesn't have microSD slot.

• Reply 82 of 253

Quote:

Originally Posted by filburt View Post

If iPhone didn't exist, I would most likely buy Nokia Lumia phones. That said, these new phones are pretty disappointing. And Wall Street agrees, with Nokia stock down about 15% following the announcement.

Digital image stabilization. There's a big difference between digital (iPhone) and optical (Lumia) image stabilization.

• Reply 83 of 253
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    pooch wrote: »
    as an appleinsider global moderator, is that your official position?

if you (pooch) have not noticed yet there are three (at least i assume) .... tallest skil, melgross, melvin.

and "as an appleinsider global moderator, is that your official position?" it is his "globol moderator" position... he typed it did he not ?...
    if you want you know if it is appleinsiders... ask him that...( but he already answered that question... )
  • Reply 84 of 253
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

As far as my point being off topic, you are the one that told everyone you don't own or use an iPhone. You obviously thought it was relevant or I wouldn't have even known. Exactly what are you waiting on? What iPhone could Apple possibly make to meet your incredibly high standards? 

No I think he said he had an original iPhone. Whether or not it is connected to a carrier I wouldn't speculate but I believed that cost of ownership was his problem. But to your point, his knowledge of the functions and features of the iPhone appears to be quite extensive. More than mine and I have owned every iPhone since day one. It is not his lack of knowledge that is bothersome so much as he is in your face 24/7 proving how smart he is and stupid you are.

• Reply 85 of 253
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by haar View Post

if you (pooch) have not noticed yet there are three (at least i assume) .... tallest skil, melgross, melvin.

and "as an appleinsider global moderator, is that your official position?" it is his "globol moderator" position... he typed it did he not ?...

if you want you know if it is appleinsiders... ask him that...( but he already answered that question... )

I see air moving in front of your mouth...

• Reply 86 of 253
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why is every Apple website reporting on this thing? Why do we care?

Because most of us don't want to live in a bubble....???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairthrope View Post

Bold move indeed. But Is this also a do-or-die release for Nokia?

If this is a the swansong, it is a beautiful swansong.

A little thick-ish looking (I don't know if that's illusion or fact) - but, based on lots of nice features, and to resurrect a 1964 political slogan, truly "A choice, not an echo."

(which I hate to tell Nokia, was Goldwater's swan song).

• Reply 87 of 253
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    The financial markets are still reacting badly to today's event.

It dropped about the time the event began, down to about -14.5%. Then it inched its way back to -9.2%. But now, it's down to -14.3% again.

What I think is important here is that no Win Phone has captured the imagination of the consumer. I believe that it's caused by a major miscommunication between Microsoft and consumers. They've often been accused of not understanding consumers, and I think that's correct.

When Win Phone first came out, and Microsoft had theater $500 million advertising blitz, the point they were making, which was roundly criticized, was that with other phones, people spent too much time using them, and with wp, you could get on the phone, do your thing quickly, and get off again.

But people like their smartphones. They really like their smartphones. They don't want to get on and off quickly. That's a fundamental disagreement with what people want in their phones. And indeed, it's actually hard to use more than a few apps with Win Phone.

Another problem is the very concept of connective ness with Win Phone. Not everyone wants the first thing they see to be Facebook, or Twitter, or whatever. And the integration, while there, has been critiqued as being very basic—done much better with apps on other platforms. Maybe it's better with wp8.

It's possible that the entire concept of wp is wrong for most people. If that's the case, then they, and their ODM's are in a lot of trouble.

The market reaction today is that there's nothing in wp8, or Nokia's new phones, that consumers are going to drool over, and therefor, leave Android or iOS over. I would imagine that most consumers aren't even going to understand the major difference wp8 is from wp7. They look the same, and that's all the take will be.

And Nokia may not have that much time left. Their debt load is larger than their cash, marketable securities and investments. Major debt becomes due in early 2013, which really isn't that far away. The debt is rated at junk status. And has been degraded even from that. If they use some cash for expenditures, and tap into the two credit lines they still have, their position could be precarious early next year when that large debt becomes due, with another in 2016.

It's felt that they may not make it. If Symbian sales continue to fall faster than Win Phone sales increase, their situation will continue to deteriorate. And they are being hammered on the low end by ZTE and others. Additionally, thei networking division is also in bad shape, and they can't sell it, though they've tried.

So it can be seen why the stock is down so much today. And that won't help matters.

Meanwhile, I have doubts that the 4 million Win Phones they supposedly sold last quarter were sell through to consumers, rather than sales to the channel. I live in NYC, and I'm on the street and in the subways a fair amount of time. I've yet to see Win Phone anywhere. Mostly iPhones, Android phones and featurephones.

If the holiday quarter isn't good for them, it could be the beginning of the end.
  • Reply 88 of 253

"wireless charging"

which is actually a WIRED brick that has to have physical contact with the phone without any traditional plug between the two that makes it less reliable and less power-efficient.

So you have to pick up the brick and the phone together, carefully, to answer a call or doing anything on the device.

Compared to the traditional charger where you just pick up the phone with the plugged cable.

• Reply 89 of 253
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

They keep releasing products no one is buying. 

This wasn't even a product release. It was an announcement of something they're working on, hopefully to be released in the future at an unspecified date for an unannounced price.

• Reply 90 of 253

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylersdad View Post

Digital image stabilization. There's a big difference between digital (iPhone) and optical (Lumia) image stabilization.

There is.

This video looks pretty impressive to me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cimDfEIEiu0&feature=BFa&list=PLgKNvl454BxeDMU2rPf3Y7rjegrzYwd7U

• Reply 91 of 253
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    filburt wrote: »

2. PureView on Lumia 920 is a regression from Lumia 808's PureView, using much more limited image sensor (down from 41-megapixels to 8-megapixels). In fact, it really isn't much different from image sensor used on iPhone 4S.
    6. But Lumia 920 doesn't have microSD slot.

Ah, if the iPhone didn't exist, there wouldn't BE Lumia phones. The status quo would be the same as it was before 2007, except that there would be a clone of the Blackberry phone in Android, but without BES server.
  • Reply 92 of 253

totally agree , nice to see a company thinking on innovative tech like wireless charging. 

Well done Nokia. 

• Reply 93 of 253

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

It currently seems like the most compelling non-iPhone option (read: threat). Other than the GSIII, that is.

Agreed.. although I think the GS3 seems like a nicer phone. I have a friend that traded in his 4S for the GS3 (why I still don't know) - but he loves it.  I've played around with it a bit, and it's pretty cool.  Although I don't plan to leave the iphone. 

• Reply 94 of 253
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,810member

How many other companies are even making a windows phone besides Nokia? I am sure a few are, but they certainly aren't pushing or advertising them heavily. If Nokia fails (which is likely) will that be the end of Windows as a phone option? 

• Reply 95 of 253
    melgross wrote: »
    Ah, if the iPhone didn't exist, there wouldn't BE Lumia phones. The status quo would be the same as it was before 2007, except that there would be a clone of the Blackberry phone in Android, but without BES server.

do you REALLLLY believe that?

That with capacitive touchscreens just becoming affordable enough for mobile and radios speeding up and processors becoming more efficient and powerful that the same ish would've been happening now as was then?

Really?

It'd be a different landscape, and for all you know a better one...

The only truth is there probably wouldn't be a Lumia...but there'd probably be phones LIKE the Lumia or better or completely different, etc.

The Tech to allow the iPhone hardly existed when the iPhone came out...at it's price point it couldn't even have existed in 2006.
  • Reply 96 of 253

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Is the implication that you think this is better than Apple's offerings? Can you really say that until the 12th? Of course I look around at other things.

It's an Apple website. I just don't see much reason to report on the others unless there's some direct relation or comparison to Apple's offerings. And at the very least, it doesn't belong in the iPhone subforum, but many generic news postings in the phone industry wind up here, so that's just a difference of opinion. 

Blah, blah, FUD, blah blah, gloom and doom… THIS is why I don't like seeing competitor crap here. Pulls the trolls even further out of the woodwork.

I agree with you Tall One. If the site would stick to Apple information more, maybe the discussions would not end up getting into a word match between the pro and con Apple fans. If I want to learn about Nokia and Win8, I will go to their site and likewise to learn Android go to the Android forums. 

After learning about the different phones, go try out a few at the carriers sale office. My small carrier even lets you use a phone for a few days without buying it so you can decide if it is the right one for your personal preference. 

Enough of the bickering and let's get more discussions on Apple products and less on the competitors offerings.

• Reply 97 of 253

Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Competition is good.  It drives innovation from everyone.

My iPhone 4 is getting a couple of years old now... it was much better than my 3G before it, which was better than my BB before that.  But to me, the question is will the 5 be a step forward with new features worthy of moving to, or will it be an incremental upgrade like the 4S?

From what I've seen, I don't see the revolution and that worries me.  Friends will have phones more feature packed.

I hope I'm wrong and that Apple are leaping forward keeping ahead of phones like the Lumia.

• Reply 98 of 253
    macvertigo wrote: »

Agreed.. although I think the GS3 seems like a nicer phone. I have a friend that traded in his 4S for the GS3 (why I still don't know) - but he loves it.  I've played around with it a bit, and it's pretty cool.  Although I don't plan to leave the iphone. 

I hate the GS3

some cool features wrapped in a me too OS skin embodied in a zero effort design shell.
  • Reply 99 of 253
    Did I hear him say, it's not really about the megapixels? Gasp....hasn't apple taken that stance and the competition shot it down as baloney?

Tsk tisk

I still remember when my photo teacher said phone camera's couldn't take good enough photo's to be used in our digital photo class...I wonder if they can use phones now.
  • Reply 100 of 253

just when I thought the Micorsoft UI could not get any fuglier, they went and proved me wrong.  What a disaster!  Windows Phone 7 was a total failure, and now the sequel, Windows Phone 8 will be another total failure.  Wonder how much more shareholder money Microsoft is going to piss away on this failed platform?