Nokia unveils Lumia 920 with 4.5" display, PureView camera

Comments

• Reply 101 of 253
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Franks View Post

totally agree , nice to see a company thinking on innovative tech like wireless charging. 

Well done Nokia. 

Are you serious? Palm had that in 2009!

• Reply 102 of 253
    realwarder wrote: »

Competition is good.  It drives innovation from everyone.

My iPhone 4 is getting a couple of years old now... it was much better than my 3G before it, which was better than my BB before that.  But to me, the question is will the 5 be a step forward with new features worthy of moving to, or will it be an incremental upgrade like the 4S?

From what I've seen, I don't see the revolution and that worries me.  Friends will have phones more feature packed.

I hope I'm wrong and that Apple are leaping forward keeping ahead of phones like the Lumia.

Eh...truth be told...better is super subjective when it comes to these vastly different (despite how much people try to claim otherwise) OS ecosystems.

iPhone doesn't have to compete in the spec war or the wireless charging war or even really the LTE war...they have to be great at what they do.

Most of these phones offer the same stuff regardless...at the end of the day at least, especially iOS and Android with many devs releasing apps for both.

Apple doesn't have to release anything better than a Lumia right now or the Razr Maxx HD or whatever it's called...they have to release the best iPhone that at least competes and retains the UX that it's consumers are use to.
  • Reply 103 of 253

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

Apple doesn't have to release anything better than a Lumia right now or the Razr Maxx HD or whatever it's called...they have to release the best iPhone that at least competes and retains the UX that it's consumers are use to.

Isn't that the mistake Blackberry made?  It was the standard.  You have to push the limits and set the standard or people move on.

• Reply 104 of 253

Quote:

Originally Posted by realwarder View Post

My iPhone 4 is getting a couple of years old now... it was much better than my 3G before it, which was better than my BB before that.  But to me, the question is will the 5 be a step forward with new features worthy of moving to, or will it be an incremental upgrade like the 4S?

From what I've seen, I don't see the revolution and that worries me.  Friends will have phones more feature packed.

I hope I'm wrong and that Apple are leaping forward keeping ahead of phones like the Lumia.

I'm not sure what feature the competition has the next iPhone won't have?

• Reply 105 of 253

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

The financial markets are still reacting badly to today's event.

And my Dashboard widget is reacting even worse. Does anyone else have no chart for today, just the numbers? And why is Apple also down? Seems everyone's down; couldn't that be something bigger and not just Nokia being bad at what they do?

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Ah, if the iPhone didn't exist, there wouldn't BE Lumia phones. The status quo would be the same as it was before 2007, except that there would be a clone of the Blackberry phone in Android, but without BES server.

Now you've done it. Here they come. The Natural Progression Brigade is after you.

Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

do you REALLLLY believe that?

That with capacitive touchscreens just becoming affordable enough for mobile and radios speeding up and processors becoming more efficient and powerful that the same ish would've been happening now as was then?

Really?

It'd be a different landscape, and for all you know a better one...

See. Told you.

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Are you serious? Palm had that in 2009!

Palm… Palm… oh, the guys that nearly kicked HP out of the computer business entirely! I remember them. 

• Reply 106 of 253
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,810member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Oh, come on. "Standards"? I haven't been able to afford one. I also couldn't justify paying for data when wherever I would have needed it I had Wi-Fi. 

Even that doesn't explain why you can't even get at least a a 3GS or 4 for around $100 and be able to use iOS 5. I can't afford a Ferrari either but I wouldn't presume to go to a Ferrari forum and tell them their opinions are laughable or stupid for wanting this or that feature added in the next model. Stop acting like only your opinion is worthy or of any value, it is not! Stick to explaining or defending your opinions and stop attacking others and calling people names just because they differ from your own very narrow viewpoints. Apple will do what they feel is best for them and you seem foolish trying to explain how they got it wrong. Unlike you, I can afford an iPhone and data plan and if I like their next iPhone I will buy it and if I don't I will look elsewhere. Stop taking things so personally and learn from Melvin and Mel who are very well-liked and respected. They offer opinions without insulting the readers. 

• Reply 107 of 253

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

I'm not sure what feature the competition has the next iPhone won't have?

Good.  That puts my mind at rest.

I want a camera that is as good as that Nokia's on my next iPhone.

• Reply 108 of 253
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    tylersdad wrote: »
    Digital image stabilization. There's a big difference between digital (iPhone) and optical (Lumia) image stabilization.

I used to think so too. Canon invented optical stab. They licensed it to Sony for their camcorders. But Sony decided to use digital for their still cameras, and most other camera manufacturers did too. At first, it wasn't very good, but over the years got much better. It's pretty much equal to optical, except for very expensive glass and very high Rez sensors. But Nikon and Canon still go that way.

I don't see this as much more than a marketing ploy such as Carl Zeiss, Schneider, and Leica lenses on cheap cameras, and phone cameras.
  • Reply 109 of 253

Quote:

Originally Posted by realwarder View Post

Good.  That puts my mind at rest.

I want a camera that is as good as that Nokia's on my next iPhone.

Spec-wise I don't see much difference between the Lumia 920's camera and the 4S's. In real world use the Lumia's may be better, but we won't know that until this thing eventually gets released which is another fact we don't know.

• Reply 110 of 253

Now you've done it. Here they come. The Natural Progression Brigade is after you.

See. Told you.

So all those innovative advances in mobile technology would've just sat there unused? untouched? For five years with zero sign of advancement?

It'd be a vastly different field without the iPhone...maybe better, maybe worse (likely). But it'd likely still be a significant progression following the tech itself.

Don't let your fanboism cloud your rationality.
  • Reply 111 of 253

There's good, and bad stabilization. Compare a good optical stab. Lens and a bad stab system on a camera, and we know the result. Do it the other way around, and the same result will occur.

That Nokia demo shows no comparison, other than with stab. off, and then on. The last scene at first had natural lighting, at night, and poor focus (with their camera, as the auto focus is very poor without the high light level, and the same with the stab. feature), and then a large blast of light. That wasn't a fair comparison. Their focus would have been pretty bad without the light.
  • Reply 112 of 253
    gustavgustav Posts: 828member

So, it has a better camera then.

I don't care about inductive charging. My toothbrush has it so they can waterproof the base because, you know, people like to keep their toothbrushes next to the sink. I see no reason why a phone needs it.

Augmented reality apps are not new. There are iPhone apps that do that. Maybe Nokia's is better, I don't know. I've never used one. Yelp and standard maps apps seem to work just fine.

Soooo... other than the camera, why should I give up my iPhone for this?

• Reply 113 of 253

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Palm… Palm… oh, the guys that nearly kicked HP out of the computer business entirely! I remember them. 

That is why features like "wireless charging" aren't going to save struggling tech companies. Palm did it (it was definitely more groudbreaking then than now) and still died and now Nokia does it 3 years late and hopes that'll be enough for people to consider their phones over iPhones/Androids.

• Reply 114 of 253

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Even that doesn't explain why you can't even get at least a a 3GS or 4 for around $100 and be able to use iOS 5.

I have an iPad for that.

…I wouldn't presume to go to a Ferrari forum and tell them their opinions are laughable or stupid for wanting this or that feature added in the next model.

I don't recall ever doing that. I recall holding people back because we know nothing about what's actually IN the software or hardware, and I recall expressing my opinion on gimmicks, like inductive charging and widgets… 

Apple will do what they feel is best for them and you seem foolish trying to explain how they got it wrong.

I'd go into the whole thing about how they can't just create anything (5 lb. phone, 640x480 screen, etc.) and expect customers to take it lying down, but you'd ignore that because I'm "not a customer". 

Unlike you, I can afford an iPhone and data plan and if I like their next iPhone I will buy it and if I don't I will look elsewhere.

So using your financial status in your argument? What's the point of that? If I like a phone, I'll buy it. If not, I'll look elsewhere. Same with any Apple product. Same with any other product. The Apple TV, for example, doesn't do what I'd love for it to do, so I don't buy it. Presently, it's just one feature away from purchasing three or more. But I have no use for the device until it has that. 

Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

Don't let your fanboism cloud your rationality.

Don't let your whatifsmanship cloud our reality. We all share the same 5D branch of this tree. You want to live in a world where Apple doesn't exist  and prove us all wrong? Figure out how to travel withward (that's a direction) 6-dimensionally. Then come back and show us that over there, "natural progression" actually happened. We won't care, because that doesn't matter to us, because Apple did it, despite everyone else having plenty of time to also do so, but go ahead.

• Reply 115 of 253
    gwmac wrote: »
    How many other companies are even making a windows phone besides Nokia? I am sure a few are, but they certainly aren't pushing or advertising them heavily. If Nokia fails (which is likely) will that be the end of Windows as a phone option? 

Samsung, Sony, LG and HTC. They've all been making Win Phone since the beginning. Samsung did do marketing. AT&T, Win Phone biggest supporter did over $100 million in Win Phone advertising since it came out.
  • Reply 116 of 253
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I can't wait to see tests regarding wireless charging times v. plugged in charging times, and the amount of power each needs.
  • Reply 117 of 253
    do you REALLLLY believe that?
    That with capacitive touchscreens just becoming affordable enough for mobile and radios speeding up and processors becoming more efficient and powerful that the same ish would've been happening now as was then?
    Really?
    It'd be a different landscape, and for all you know a better one...
    The only truth is there probably wouldn't be a Lumia...but there'd probably be phones LIKE the Lumia or better or completely different, etc.
    The Tech to allow the iPhone hardly existed when the iPhone came out...at it's price point it couldn't even have existed in 2006.

I don't have to believe it, it's true. Capacitive screens were still expensive when the iPhone first came out. It was because of the iPhone that other manufacturers had to use them. Don't get things backwards.

There was little movement in the phone industry before the iPhone. They were reserved for business use at times. I tried to buy an HTC 6700 at one time, but was told that it was just for business customers! How stupid was that?

Everyone in the industry acknowledges that the iPhone changed everything. You should too.
  • Reply 118 of 253

NOK down 16.25%

• Reply 119 of 253

Revolution? We're not going to see another revolution in phones for some time. That will require more technological change. Things can only be done when the tech is ready. Another revolution may require ten times the processing power we currently have. Totally new ways to display things as well. OLEDs are nice, for example, but they're just an incremental advance (and right now, they offer no real advantage).

It's very likely that phones and OS's have matured to the point where we won't see major advances over the near few years, just a steady refining of what we see. ICloud is probably the biggest advance, along with Siri, once they perfect that.

Otherwise, what can be done? Slightly bigger screens? Slightly higher resolutions? Faster SoC's. Another sensor added to the half dozen or so we have now? Slightly better battery life?

I don't see any revolutions by anyone.
  • Reply 120 of 253
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

What chips are they using and are they over clocking?  Windows PCs tend to do over clocking from time to time, which might be a reason why they have reliability issues.